Urban Communications page on DSLReports

Review by cellair See Profile

• Location: Matteson,Cook,IL
Good "The only broadband service provider for our town- not anymore"
Bad "High monthly cost as compaired to other wisp in surrounding towns
Overall "If you live in Matteson and want broadband call them"

From the time I placed th order to when they showed up at my door was only 3 days. They even called the day before the install to see if I wold like to get the install earlier. The istall took about 1 hour. Speeds so far have been great but still to early to tell.

update

If this company installed your system make sure you check your ground wire. After taking the time to finally go through what they did. I found that the ground wire was tie strapped to a piece of conduit.Also found the extra 70ft of coax all notted up under the house. you think they would take the time to coil it up somewhat. Looks as if they are more interested in getting the job done as fast as thay can. Rather that taking your time getting te job done right. If I could do it allover again I would not recommend them unless they lowered their monthly price. I would bet if they keep their prices the same they might not be around much longer

Comments:

Review by aureth See Profile

• Location: Park Forest,Cook,IL
Good "Very fast order turnaround, reliable service, friendly staff"
Bad "Very, very high installation cost, slow speed for the monthly price"
Overall "No other broadband choice in my town, so i took it"

I recently moved five miles to a house I just purchased. Unfortunately, this five mile move took me into University Park, a town that is not serviced by any sort of wired broadband, so I was forced to give up my Speakeasy connection of 3 years. Urbancom wireless is the only broadband choice in this area, and since I really like having a broadband connection, I took it.

The time from order to installation was only four days, and two of those were weekends, so that was very good. The salesman I talked to promised up to 1megabit of burstable speed, however I haven't seen much above 650 kilobits, yet. Maybe it's the leaves on the trees in my backyard interfering with the signal.The installation price is $500, which was a real killer, especially these days when most cable and DSL internet installations are costing $0\. Monthly price is $69.95, a few bucks more than I was paying for Speakeasy's 1.5/256 connection. Urbancom is a bad value, pricewise. Luckliy, they seem to be pretty decent, otherwise. In an area with no other broadband options, I'll take what I can get.

Update 5-24: For a company that claims 99.9% uptime reliability on their webpage, I've had an extremely frustrating two weeks. My connection has been essentially unusable for this time, and all tech support has been offering is excuses as to why they haven't been able to fix the problems (which is supposedly on their antenna tower). This morning, I was told they were having someone take a look at the antenna this afternoon, but I've heard similar responses two or three times, now, including one promise from the president of the ISP. For the money I paid to have this service installed, this is very dissapointing service.

Update 6-11-04: I called yesterday and threatened to cancel after more weeks of high ping times, huge packet loss, and large periods of no connection at all. This got me through to Ed Urban, president of the company. He was very apologetic, and said that I had been the proverbial thorn in their sides for some time...my circuit was the only one having such major problems. They supposedly did have some serious issues with the tower hardware that was servicing me, but had fixed all that. So, they finally sent a guy out to take a look at my installation. Eric came out in the drizzle, replaced and reaimed the antenna, and then gave it a ten foot extension to attempt to shoot above some of the trees and brush between me and their tower. This helped significantly, but I was still seeing very low upload speeds. He came back today with help, and they installed a 20 foot mast. My connection, for the first time since installation, is actually pretty darn good. 950/500 in the evenings 500/400 during the day (evidently, there's a cap on residential bandwidth during the day). Of course, now I have a massive antenna on my roof (can we say lightning rod?). I'm cautiously optimistic. Kudos to Urbancom's field tech guys for finally working through the problem.

member for 10.9 years, 678 visits, last login: 3.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by heavners See Profile

• Location: Manhattan,Will,IL
Good "so far - Fast, pretty stable, easy install, no big complaints"
Bad "Pricey, seems to be slow tech support"
Overall "only option besides satellite - worth the cost"

I previously had starband 2-way satellite internet. I knew what I was getting into as far as no VPN / games, etc... I have no problem with Starband, I got what was advertised.

BUT - the coverage map from urbancom.net suddenly expanded (I had been checking every few weeks since I saw that they were near me). They put up a new antenna and I was psyched! I ordered as soon as I figured out that my $99 cancellation fee from starband would be covered by their $140 buy-back policy on the equipment.

From order to live was 7 days, but only because I had to take a day off to be home. It could have been sooner. After scheduling for a friday install, my office switched on me and I had to work friday. Urbancom re-scheduled me for thursday instead. I was expecting the installer between 9:30-10am, and I finally called at 11 to find that he had been stuck on a trouble call at another client. I would have liked a phone call, but didn't care too much as long as he got there. He showed up in his car about 30 minutes later becuase their other trucks were in use, but he had everything he needed.

He was able to mount the antenna on my existing antenna tower, and then ran the cable right to where I had the router ready to go. I'm getting a signal of 8-9 out of 10 green lights. Plugged in the receiver (from urbancom), hooked it to my router, configured the static IP, and that was that! First speed test was 518/583 , and I was thrilled! (Starband had been ~300/30) I sent him on his way and got to 'playing' with my new connection. In all the excitement I'd forgotten to ask about how I get email through them. (I don't know that I'll use the account, but it doesn't hurt to have it...) I emailed support, and didn't get a response until the next day, which said to tell them what accounts I wanted set up. I did, and the next day I had my email accounts ready. That's the only reason I gave support a 4.

That was 2 weeks ago, and it's been great so far. Their web site says that I'll get a connection from 128k to 1544k, and I'm sitting at about 500-600k. I don't know if it's based on signal or what, but I'm pretty happy. It is wireless, after all...

It is a bit pricey at $70/month, ($210/quarter - only billing option) but that's what I was paying for starband too. For the same price, I get a better connection. In the middle of cornfields - this is about as good as it gets.

One weird thing - if I tracert to my office in chicago, it goes to some 'chicago1.level3.net' routers, and then to some 'newyork1.level3.net' routers. From there it hops to nyc.alter.net, and then chi.alter.net and on to my office. This isn't technically an urbancom issue, and I'm not sure what to do about it. If I tracert other sites in chicago they're ok. I don't know who else might be on alter.net though. The chi-nyc hops add 20-30 ms to my ping times and my VPN. That's why I have a 4 for reliability - but I realize it's not really urbancom's fault.

All in all - I'm happy. If anything changes I'll update here. And if you have any ideas about my level3.net routing - please let me know.

Now, if I can just figure out how Vonage works...

member for 12.4 years, 555 visits, last login: 5.4 years ago