IStop.com page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by Dave Lewis See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Bad tech support, Unreliable internet connectivity, packet loss, billing issues"
Overall "Wouldn't recommend at all. It's not worth the hassle"

I initially had a Bridged VLAN service (Non-pppoe) with ISTOP. It was really cheap at the time and the bandwitdh was ok (I think it was about 40gig/month at the time it was installed) I had all sorts of issues with they're so called vlan service. They did not provide what they advsertised, and at every point when I proved it to them that they're service had a problem they basically told me to go read a book.

They're peering initally was good then it went down hill. They changed peers it seemed almost monthly and the reliability was non-existant. It seemed either they're router had an issue or they're peering dropped almost every few days.

Packet loss was way to common and they're so called Priorty support that you pay extra for was useless. They almost never answered they're support pages, usually becuase it was an email @istop.com which when they're only peer drops makes it next to impossible to get to. Even once I got the number tot he cell phone the used for the priority support they basically never answered it.

Totally a bad experience.

Comments:

Review by EUS See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Allows servers, no port blocking, affordable(34.49 3008/800 1static ip)"
Bad "They have recently switched to cogentco - SUX!"
Overall "Good deal"

I've been with them for a couple of yrs now.

BAD)When i joined they had connection with Peer, now they run through congentco which is proving to be problematic, as there always seems to be HUGE latency on that network (usually starting @ 9pm EST).

GOOD)Static ip's, knowledgable service, allows servers, no port blocking, affordable. Also residential can sign for VPN service if need be.

Update, signed on to dedicated service, and now am synch'd at 4032/800. Very nice.

*Edit*July 10th 2005

Dumped about 5 months ago in favor of Electronicbox.net due to outages, and terrible cogentco network. Cheap? Sure, but terrible, left a bad taste in my mouth.

Electronicbox.net is SUPER! More $$$/mth, but I will pay a premium to get 18ms to NY. They are peered with Peer1 among others, and I am in love. They also allow servers, /29 subnet or more if you want (even for residential). I would write a review for them, but they are not listed here. So I'll give them accolades instead of that other ISP I used to use. $50/mth (taxes in), 3meg down/800k up, 8 ip's (6 usable). No port throttling/blocking, unlimited transfer.

Thanks Electronicbox.net!

Comments:

Review by Thanh See Profile

• Location: Pierrefonds,QC
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Cheap, stable and tech-friendly ISP"
Bad "Some downtime"
Overall "Great value"

Except a few glitches (rare downtime, usage page is frequently down), their connection is stable. For 36$/month, that include the basic self-serve package (PPPoE) + a static IP.

Using an Alcatel Speed Touch Home moden + a Linksys BEFSR41 router

Their tech-support is actually tech-people, not script-readers like Sympatico !!!

Speed results: 320kB/s - 80kB/s

Update - feb. 2004 - : After the last big fiasco, ISTOP has been fast & reliable. They changed their cap policy by offering unlimited uploads. The 30GB peak-time cap remains, but only for download traffic. They seems to have ditched NAC for residential customers since all trafic now seems to go through Cogent or Torix.

member for 12.8 years, 1411 visits, last login: 138 days ago

Comments:

Review by dspector See Profile

• Location: Montreal, QC
Good "Up front and honest with customers."
Bad "Spam filters, and bandwith caps."
Overall "For the price they are good."

I've been with istop for about 2 years. Overall I am quite happy with the service. If there are any service problems, the techies are upfront and honest with the customers. There are good pings, speed and routing.

Only bottle neck is spam filters on email accounts, and bandwith caps. I would like to see a extra 10-15gigs added to the caps, and spam filters optional.

I highly recommend them if you are looking for a honest, upfront, stable and fast ISP.

-UPDATE February 2005- I have recently left Istop after 4-5 years. It was not because of the downtime like many others. It was due to my personal feelings of no longer having faith in the provider itself. I joined them when they were at their best, I may have left when they were at their worst. However, this in no way is to say their service was sub par. Throughout all the years the reliability, speeds, pings...etc were all solid for the MAJORITY of the time. However, there were times where there was speed, ping, and connection problems throughout my years. In the general scheme of things and years I was with them. If price is your concern then your choices are limited so Istop may be one of your options. But be AWARE, you get what you pay for. It was just time for me to move on.

member for 11.9 years, 1950 visits, last login: 333 days ago

Comments:

Review by stark2 See Profile

Good "Cheap. Friendly, knowledgable, helpful service (when it wasn't busy), Static IPs, Did I mention Cheap?"
Bad "Speed isn't the greatest; Tech support isn't an 800 line. And during a system-wide outage the phone number is busy."
Overall "Ok service at great price "

I've used istop.com for a couple years now. They're not the best out there but
they're not the worst either, and what do you expect for $29.95/month with
generous bandwidth cap at peak hours and unlimited off-peak?

Cons: Speed isn't the greatest, I rarely get more than 1.7MB/s on my 3Mb/s
line. Frequent outages at night, even a few outages during the day. Tech
support isn't an 800 line. And during a system-wide outage the phone number is
busy.

Pros: Cheap. Friendly, knowledgable, helpful service when I spoke to anyone.
Static IPs (starting to be more common now, but was hard to find when I first
signed up). Did I mention cheap?

Unfortunately their network has been through a few too many outages and
failures for me to stick with them. They were out for several *days* after the
north-east power failure. That's unacceptable. I worked for an ISP during the
Montreal ice storm and we never went down at all, even after a losing power
for days and having downtown streets closed. They never offered a credit
either.

Now they've had this billing dispute with Bell that cut me off for two days
again. I do believe their story about it all being Bell's errors and that Bell
cutting them off violated their contract. But it doesn't really matter to me.
Other ISPs just don't let things like this happen.

So I'm going to be upgrading to a more expensive but more reliable service
(electronicbox.net). Or check out igs.net if you want something more reliable
than istop.com. But they're more expensive too. Or there's teksavvy for the
same price but with a 20GB cap.

member for 14.8 years, 104 visits, last login: 8.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by xoy747 See Profile

• Location: Schenectady,Schenectady,NY
Good "Stable connection"
Bad "No technical support, but I didn't need it"
Overall "Works for me"

Had ISTOP for ISP for almost 2 years. At first, I was a direct customer, now through one of their resellers (which I work for).

My experience with them was good. Sometimes my service drops, but that happens on average 3-4 times a year and gets fixed without any intervention on my side, so I consider that satisfactory for a home user.

Several people at the office have DSL through ISTOP, all of them are happy except for 1 (he complains about service drop very often), but I don't think it's not ISTOP's fault. Either bad line from the central office or (most likely) stupid user.

Comments:

Review by Guspaz See Profile

• Location: Pointe-Claire,QC
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Incredibly good tech support, no contracts"
Bad "Slow unreliable speeds, annoying bandwidth caps"
Overall "Very helpful, but connection too unreliable."

I've been with iStop for about 2 years, and they've had their ups and downs. Overall there are just too many rough spots. Speeds are decent, but 50 to 100 KB/s lower than with their competitors (using same DSL standards). There are frequent periods of slow speeds and packetloss, and the connection goes down entirely very frequently for several seconds, or minutes, or even hours.

The bandwidth caps are also annoying (30GB/mth now, but 25GB/mth when I signed up). They're not that big a problem as it's a decent amount of bandwidth, and they have very reasonable bandwidth overage fees, but merely having a cap indicates they don't have a very large network capacity. I believe they currently only have two 100mbit connections to the internet, one of those being a Cogent 100mbit line. That's kind of ironic, because when Cogent first offered that service in Toronto I contacted Ralph (Owner of iStop) to let him know, and he pretty much said Cogent is horrible and he'd never use their service.

All that said, I have NEVER been dissapointed with iStop's customer service. Their tech support goes way above and beyond, and is completely top notch... They all know their stuff and are very willing to help. Their sales rep is also very nice.

I actually wish that iStop would offer unmetered services and fix their speed and reliability problems, because the customer service was better than I've ever seen from any other ISP.

Is started out with iStop on the 3.5mbit service for 55$/mth and a 15GB/mth cap. Eventually the cap went up to 25GB and the price down to 50$/mth. However I was later told that they were getting rid of their "Ultra" service, and I was downgraded from 3.5mbit to 3.0mbit at 35$/mth.

I started out with a dynamic IP, but very early on they offered a free static IP with their 3.5mbit service. I requested one, and got one. Even though they later stopped offering free static IPs, I was allowed to keep mine for free.

member for 12.7 years, 3394 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by kvv25f See Profile

• Location: k1s5y5
Good "All ports are open, can run server, REALLY unlimited from 2am to 10am"
Bad "Poor customer service and this is not about help desk support"
Overall "Not bad at all."

I was charged recently for extra traffic having 25,215MB.
When asked them how big is ISTOP's 1 GB got reply: ISTOP's 1GB=1000MB.
So, be aware it is not 1024x25=25,600, it is 1000x25, so amount of traffic included in the account is actually 25,000MB not 25GB.
Too bad they've done something to their network recently and my Linksys router even with the latest firware update CANNOT connect anymore (getting LCP authentication error).

Comments:

Review by aarono8 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "cheap, fast, easy"
Bad "none"
Overall "you are dumb to have sympatico if you can have this"

awesome ISP... hands down

member for 11.5 years, 578 visits, last login: 7.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by mightybig See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Zippy, solid connection speeds, excellent price, great support, good value."
Bad "VERY minor connectivity outages here and there, nothing worrisome."
Overall "Cheap, fast, reliable, and no hassles for the average user."

Have been with istop for about a year now without complaint.Using the 1.7 residential self-serve and have routinely clocked 1.5+ continually.(Helps to have the CO two blocks away.)

Like all other services there are small connectivity issues. Most average users I have surveyed have experienced outages of varying scales over a number of providers,so far, istop has been
relatively stable with an unannounced 5-10 disconnects infrequently over 80hrs or so of monthly
connectivity. (Barring huge power-grid failures.)

Advantage in buying speedstream 5260 and filters and the installation was a snap.
Static IP available, dial-up is free 20hrs/month. 25GIG monthly with unlimited off-peak.(2am-10am)

Only $20 for activation of self-serve.

2004 will see speed increased to 3.0/800 for the same cost. (or less)

If you want a no-nonsense, stable ISP with good support, check out istop.

member for 10.4 years, 147 visits, last login: 8.2 years ago