Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc. page on DSLReports

Review by tedv See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Reliable "

I had Primus for 4+ years and just cancelled my service last week. I was on the 5/1Mbs unlimited package. Speed were about 3.5/.6Mbps, but that was blamed on old copper in out area. Seeing that Bell user in the neighborhood were getting the same, I left it. When Bell came around and cleaned up the copper for the Fibe roll out, my speed went up to the advertised 5Mbs down, but I never got more than .6Mbs up.

Over the 4+ years, we had about 3 outages, with the longest being about 4 hours.

The biggest complaint I have with Primus, is their auto debit payment system. They do not bill on the same day of the month, but on a 30 day cycle. This meant that sometimes the day fell on the last day of the month, when I had my bank setup to transfer the money into the account for the first of the month.

Comments:

Walidbazzi

@telus.net

Worse Service ever

signed up on October 10 2013 , until now i dont have the phone or the internet working, forgot about contacting me initially , did not send me the modem , i had to phone few times to get someone to deliver the new modem ,,,,,, anyway wrong decision , bad first impression, I am calling in the next 24 hours to cancel , i dont want to deal with a company who doe snot know how ot attract customers and make a first good impression

Review by Bye internet See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Great customer phone service; sincere desire to resolve problems."
Bad "Problems unresolved; the problem was old Bell lines, incapable of supporting both phone and High Speed Internet"
Overall "Ahead of Bell and Acanac, at least they sent a lineman, who gave me a direct report. However, the problems were never resolved."

I appreciated the honestly of the lineman. The lineman told me that my old homeline was incapable of supporting both Phone and High Speed Internet. (Why hadn't Bell or Acanac told me this?) In their effort, Primus sometimes left me without phone, in order to provide my internet, or vice versa.

At least Primus did not charge me for services they were unable to provide. [But I want those services!] And at least they sent a lineman (unlike Bell or Acanac).

Comments:

Review by Kushdaddy See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Nothing."
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Garbage internet service. Horrible. I pay for a solid high speed internet and I only get 0.67 bits per second. Primus is garbage"

Where can I start. Primus is horrible. What's the point of having an unlimited service when I can't download a song or stream a video in 360p. I've tried everything. I got a new modem and that just made it worse. Primus has done nothing to help us. If anything they've just added to the problem. I'm very happy that I'm switching ISP's cause this one's garbage

Comments:

Review by seanfordyce See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Bad "Worst move of services nightmare 3 weeks no service and lies"

Installation booked April 1 for April 22.

On April 23 advised Primus internet still at old address & no phone at new. They said issue was internal wiring. After disconnecting all internal wiring no dialtone. Phone service finally installed May 4. No internet-primus blamed Bell but tech who attended May 4 said Primus had not included internet provisioning. Confirmed by Primus later. Primus provisioned on May 5. Internet date set for May 8 but no service. Troubleshooting done that day but manager Pedran (Edmonton) delayed ticket for 2 days without justification on May 9. On May 10, 18 days after service was to be completed, Primus finally sent repair ticket to Bell. Primus had lied to us that ticket already with Bell on May 8 blaming Bell when they had not sent it when problem was internal. The cost of this to us is huge & being lied to made worse as we repeated troubleshooting several times a day thinking we could get a connection only to find they had lied and never told Bell.

Comments:

Review by xsbell See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Fast and a great price!"
Bad "Uses Bell's GAS Network"
Overall "Get Primus!"

Absolutely the BEST IISP using GAS! They have the best mix of routing/transit and peering arrangements out of any other IISP. In the seven years I've been with them, I've only had a couple of issues, but this was because of Bell's legacy ATM network.

When I did have issues (congestion on Bell's DSLAM uplinks), and needed to call into tech support, every support person I spoke with were absolutely fantastic. (apart from one about five years ago.. forget his name, but he probably doesn't work there anymore anyways.)

Patiently waiting for GAS-FTTN speeds!

member for 5.9 years, 1468 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: l5r2m
Overall "FALSE ADVERTISEMENT FOR FREE UNLIMITED LONG DISTANCE NORTH AMERICA"

I was attracted to Primus Talkbroadband (phone over internet) because of
the Free Unlimited Long Distance North America is included in their program

My 2nd billing statement showed a charge of $31 for long distance. I
called, and their representative promised an adjustment to reverse the
charge
My 3rd billing statement showed a credit to of $31 ,to reverse the previous
charge so I thought everything is ok now that they realized their mistake
. Unknown to me , they sneaked a little statement in the last page of the
bill (where nobody paid attention to) announcing the charge from certain
date , to certain numbers (numbers I call the most)
My 4th billing statement again showed a charge of $29 for long distance.
Since I was out of the country, the bill was unpaid.
My 5th billing came with another charge for long distance. I called them,
their representative said that in the 3rd statement, they informed me
that their will be charges .

And then they suspended my phone. I don't have much power against them
except paying the bill,
*BUT I WANT EVERYBODY TO KNOW THEIR PRACTICE: FALSE ADVERTISEMENT ON
THEIR WEBSITE *
*Anne Thuan Trieu*

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Annet T

@rogers.com

Primus unlimited long distance plan: MISLEADING AND SNEAKY

I was attracted to Primus Talkbroadband (phone over internet) because of the Free Unlimited Long Distance North America is included in their program

My 2nd billing statement showed a charge of $31 for long distance. I called, and their representative promised an adjustment to reverse the charge
My 3rd billing statement showed a credit to of $31 ,to reverse the previous charge so I thought everything is ok now that they realized their mistake . Unknown to me , they sneaked a little statement in the last page of the bill (where nobody paid attention to) announcing the charge from certain date , to certain numbers (numbers I call the most)
My 4th billing statement again showed a charge of $29 for long distance. Since I was out of the country, the bill was unpaid.
My 5th billing came with another charge for long distance. I called them, their representative said that in the 3rd statement, they informed me that their will be charges .

And then they suspended my phone. I don't have much power against them except paying the bill, BUT I WANT TO SAY THEY COMMITTED FALSE ADVERTISEMENT.

Review by Shakuras See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "They provided an okay service in the previous places I lived in."
Bad "After the move, all hell broke loose. Terrible CS, they were blaming everything on me and provided me with no help at all."
Overall "Worst experience dealing with an ISP so far."

So, I had been with them for a while. I had their package for phone+internet for around $80, where internet and phone was around $40.

Everything was going good until I moved to my new place. I had to wait 14 days with no service in my new place because that's how long it took for them to send a technician. Okay, can't blame them because I told them about my move late since I found my place late.

I had no internet, but really needed, so I was hovering my wireless connections to see if there was one open, but no luck. I finally decided just setup my modem and router to see if there was a previous connection from the last tenant. To my surprise it was working for me, and I had the chance to use this connection. It was a decent connection, had like 2mbps DL and ping was around 20ms.

Now, it has been 13 days and I have been able to access the internet using this connection that was left open with no problem.

The 14th day finally came, so did the technician who refused to answer my questions. I asked him if Primus sent him, but he wouldn't answer me as he was opening up my phone jack. It looked like he knew what he was doing because of the equipments he was using, so I decided to let him finish.

After he said it was all good and left, my connection wasn't working, so I called customer service and they told me I had to wait for a while for internet connection to be activated. Finally my phone started to work and so did my internet connection, but there was a problem with my internet connection. It was running like a dial-up connection. I was quite upset because of the time it took them to change the service and giving me a crappy connection from what I had before for free.

I gave customer service another call telling them the connection was pretty bad, so I talked with a guy in technical support and he tells me my phone line has no filter. He told me that since I live in an apartment, the buzzer line and my phone wasn't filtered and I had to talk with my landlord to put a filter. So I go and ask me landlord and they're like it's the technician's job to do that and not theirs and they can't do anything. I give customer service another call and the guy on the other side does some 'tests' and says the same thing the other guy said before. I tell him I had a perfectly running connection from the previous tenant's ISP, so how is it possible for it to work then and not now after their technician did his 'job'. He basically ignored what I told him and said that he can escalate my ticket, but it will just get closed or they'll charge me $100 if they sent another technician. I was like wtf and I kept telling him how I had a smooth internet connection before the technician came, but they kept acting like automated robots and kept repeating the same thing without answering any of my questions.

It was clear, the technician they sent screwed something up, but didn't want to admit it and kept blaming it on me. I finally got fed up and cancelled their phone and internet, didn't even want to deal with them anymore. Yeah, and it supposedly takes 30 days to cancel, so I'm stuck with a shitty connection for this time. I'm going to call the billing department to see if they can reimburse me for the shitty connection their providing me and the move connection fee that I'm going to get.

I will update once I talk with them again.

Comments:

Primus

@primus.ca

Primus

Hello,
We're sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to further review your account and billing. We invite you to contact us directly at: execresp@primustel.ca.

Sincerely,

Don Pelletier
Executive Response Representative
Primus Canada

Review by hangene92 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Overall "Internet Speed not as what it is stated"

Primus needs to order more bandwidth, as I feel like during certain time it goes below 1mb download when my package is up to 8mb download. Big diff.

Comments:

Review by geod2 See Profile

• Location: Brantford,ON
Good "Good service, predictable billing, reasonable speed, no cap"
Bad "Nothing I can think of"
Overall "Excellent alternative to Bhell and Robbers, good value for money"

I posted a review of Primus Canada a little over 2 years ago.

My review at the time was quite positive. Today, I am still with
Primus and remain satisfied with the service.

I am in Brantford and on a Primus DSLAM (i.e. I am on Primus's
network, not Bell's). The speed is advertised as 7mbit. In practice,
I find that my download speed tops out at around 680 K/sec and
usually runs about 650-660 K/s. These numbers drop when the network is at
peak times for usage (e.g. Sunday evening) then climbs back to normal
when higher priority traffic subsides.

Primus's traffic management practice (see
»primus.ca/en/residential/interne···ment.htm
for details) is reasonable, in my opinion. They assign highest
priority to time-sensitive traffic such as voip and gaming, next is
web browsing & email and lowest is bulk traffic such as file transfers
(which are not time-sensitive). This is very similar to the QoS
settings I have applied on my router for my own home network and which
I consider prudent network management practice.

I have the triple bundle (home phone, dsl internet, long distance
package). My bill is predictable (to the cent) each month and
contains no surprises or unexpected charges. The phone service is at
least as good as Bell's and I am happy with it. One of the things I
really like is the telemarketing blocker. If a telemarketer does
call, right after I hang up, I dial *44 to report that last calling
number as a telemarketer and it is then blocked. I now get very few
nuisance calls.

I'm a happy customer. Service is reliable, I have no cap, reasonable
internet traffic management practice and it's less expensive than
Robbers or Bhell.

I recommend this company, particularly if you can get on Primus's own
network rather than Bhell's for your internet service.

Comments:

Review by pnsiva See Profile

• Location: Ajax,ON
Good "Alternate to Bell / Rogers, but similar company"
Bad "Bad customer service / Lots of hidden untold fine lines."
Overall "Stay away from it"

Worst Company! Stay away from it. Poor customer service, Old outdated infrastructure and poor quality. Good only in certain places in Toronto where they have Servers. If you decide to leave Primus watch out! you will see their other side!!