Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc. page on DSLReports

Review by Bye internet See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Great customer phone service; sincere desire to resolve problems."
Bad "Problems unresolved; the problem was old Bell lines, incapable of supporting both phone and High Speed Internet"
Overall "Ahead of Bell and Acanac, at least they sent a lineman, who gave me a direct report. However, the problems were never resolved."

I appreciated the honestly of the lineman. The lineman told me that my old homeline was incapable of supporting both Phone and High Speed Internet. (Why hadn't Bell or Acanac told me this?) In their effort, Primus sometimes left me without phone, in order to provide my internet, or vice versa.

At least Primus did not charge me for services they were unable to provide. [But I want those services!] And at least they sent a lineman (unlike Bell or Acanac).

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Kushdaddy See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Nothing."
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Garbage internet service. Horrible. I pay for a solid high speed internet and I only get 0.67 bits per second. Primus is garbage"

Where can I start. Primus is horrible. What's the point of having an unlimited service when I can't download a song or stream a video in 360p. I've tried everything. I got a new modem and that just made it worse. Primus has done nothing to help us. If anything they've just added to the problem. I'm very happy that I'm switching ISP's cause this one's garbage

Comments:

Review by seanfordyce See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Bad "Worst move of services nightmare 3 weeks no service and lies"

Installation booked April 1 for April 22.

On April 23 advised Primus internet still at old address & no phone at new. They said issue was internal wiring. After disconnecting all internal wiring no dialtone. Phone service finally installed May 4. No internet-primus blamed Bell but tech who attended May 4 said Primus had not included internet provisioning. Confirmed by Primus later. Primus provisioned on May 5. Internet date set for May 8 but no service. Troubleshooting done that day but manager Pedran (Edmonton) delayed ticket for 2 days without justification on May 9. On May 10, 18 days after service was to be completed, Primus finally sent repair ticket to Bell. Primus had lied to us that ticket already with Bell on May 8 blaming Bell when they had not sent it when problem was internal. The cost of this to us is huge & being lied to made worse as we repeated troubleshooting several times a day thinking we could get a connection only to find they had lied and never told Bell.

• Location: l5r2m
Overall "FALSE ADVERTISEMENT FOR FREE UNLIMITED LONG DISTANCE NORTH AMERICA"

I was attracted to Primus Talkbroadband (phone over internet) because of
the Free Unlimited Long Distance North America is included in their program

My 2nd billing statement showed a charge of $31 for long distance. I
called, and their representative promised an adjustment to reverse the
charge
My 3rd billing statement showed a credit to of $31 ,to reverse the previous
charge so I thought everything is ok now that they realized their mistake
. Unknown to me , they sneaked a little statement in the last page of the
bill (where nobody paid attention to) announcing the charge from certain
date , to certain numbers (numbers I call the most)
My 4th billing statement again showed a charge of $29 for long distance.
Since I was out of the country, the bill was unpaid.
My 5th billing came with another charge for long distance. I called them,
their representative said that in the 3rd statement, they informed me
that their will be charges .

And then they suspended my phone. I don't have much power against them
except paying the bill,
*BUT I WANT EVERYBODY TO KNOW THEIR PRACTICE: FALSE ADVERTISEMENT ON
THEIR WEBSITE *
*Anne Thuan Trieu*

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Annet T

@rogers.com

Primus unlimited long distance plan: MISLEADING AND SNEAKY

I was attracted to Primus Talkbroadband (phone over internet) because of the Free Unlimited Long Distance North America is included in their program

My 2nd billing statement showed a charge of $31 for long distance. I called, and their representative promised an adjustment to reverse the charge
My 3rd billing statement showed a credit to of $31 ,to reverse the previous charge so I thought everything is ok now that they realized their mistake . Unknown to me , they sneaked a little statement in the last page of the bill (where nobody paid attention to) announcing the charge from certain date , to certain numbers (numbers I call the most)
My 4th billing statement again showed a charge of $29 for long distance. Since I was out of the country, the bill was unpaid.
My 5th billing came with another charge for long distance. I called them, their representative said that in the 3rd statement, they informed me that their will be charges .

And then they suspended my phone. I don't have much power against them except paying the bill, BUT I WANT TO SAY THEY COMMITTED FALSE ADVERTISEMENT.

Review by Shakuras See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "They provided an okay service in the previous places I lived in."
Bad "After the move, all hell broke loose. Terrible CS, they were blaming everything on me and provided me with no help at all."
Overall "Worst experience dealing with an ISP so far."

So, I had been with them for a while. I had their package for phone+internet for around $80, where internet and phone was around $40.

Everything was going good until I moved to my new place. I had to wait 14 days with no service in my new place because that's how long it took for them to send a technician. Okay, can't blame them because I told them about my move late since I found my place late.

I had no internet, but really needed, so I was hovering my wireless connections to see if there was one open, but no luck. I finally decided just setup my modem and router to see if there was a previous connection from the last tenant. To my surprise it was working for me, and I had the chance to use this connection. It was a decent connection, had like 2mbps DL and ping was around 20ms.

Now, it has been 13 days and I have been able to access the internet using this connection that was left open with no problem.

The 14th day finally came, so did the technician who refused to answer my questions. I asked him if Primus sent him, but he wouldn't answer me as he was opening up my phone jack. It looked like he knew what he was doing because of the equipments he was using, so I decided to let him finish.

After he said it was all good and left, my connection wasn't working, so I called customer service and they told me I had to wait for a while for internet connection to be activated. Finally my phone started to work and so did my internet connection, but there was a problem with my internet connection. It was running like a dial-up connection. I was quite upset because of the time it took them to change the service and giving me a crappy connection from what I had before for free.

I gave customer service another call telling them the connection was pretty bad, so I talked with a guy in technical support and he tells me my phone line has no filter. He told me that since I live in an apartment, the buzzer line and my phone wasn't filtered and I had to talk with my landlord to put a filter. So I go and ask me landlord and they're like it's the technician's job to do that and not theirs and they can't do anything. I give customer service another call and the guy on the other side does some 'tests' and says the same thing the other guy said before. I tell him I had a perfectly running connection from the previous tenant's ISP, so how is it possible for it to work then and not now after their technician did his 'job'. He basically ignored what I told him and said that he can escalate my ticket, but it will just get closed or they'll charge me $100 if they sent another technician. I was like wtf and I kept telling him how I had a smooth internet connection before the technician came, but they kept acting like automated robots and kept repeating the same thing without answering any of my questions.

It was clear, the technician they sent screwed something up, but didn't want to admit it and kept blaming it on me. I finally got fed up and cancelled their phone and internet, didn't even want to deal with them anymore. Yeah, and it supposedly takes 30 days to cancel, so I'm stuck with a shitty connection for this time. I'm going to call the billing department to see if they can reimburse me for the shitty connection their providing me and the move connection fee that I'm going to get.

I will update once I talk with them again.

Comments:

Primus

@primus.ca

Primus

Hello,
We're sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to further review your account and billing. We invite you to contact us directly at: execresp@primustel.ca.

Sincerely,

Don Pelletier
Executive Response Representative
Primus Canada

Review by hangene92 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Overall "Internet Speed not as what it is stated"

Primus needs to order more bandwidth, as I feel like during certain time it goes below 1mb download when my package is up to 8mb download. Big diff.

Comments:

Review by pnsiva See Profile

• Location: Ajax,ON
Good "Alternate to Bell / Rogers, but similar company"
Bad "Bad customer service / Lots of hidden untold fine lines."
Overall "Stay away from it"

Worst Company! Stay away from it. Poor customer service, Old outdated infrastructure and poor quality. Good only in certain places in Toronto where they have Servers. If you decide to leave Primus watch out! you will see their other side!!

Comments:

Review by mikbane

• Location: H2S
Good "phone service, unlimited long distance, on line voice mail service"
Bad "internet service very slow, not what they advertise"
Overall "not good value for the money"

I have been with Primus for a few years and their Internet service has been
very disappointing. However, I have not had many problems with the phone
service - it is quite good.

They only offer one unlimited high speed Internet service that they say
is "up to 7 Mbps." Now, while I don't expect to reach speeds that high I do
expect to come close but I rarely test at more than 2.5 Mbps and usually run
at under 1 Mbps. I have gone through the whole gambit of tweaking and
testing with their tech support and was finally told last year that the
problem was that their system needed to be upgraded and that it would be
done within a few months and that I should just hold out. Well I did hold
out and it took over 6 months and my download speeds have not changed much.
If I was getting a 7 Mbps service or even 5 Mbps their pricing would very competitive but the service I get now is equivalent to Bell's, Roger's or Videotron's most basic non dial-up service and as such is not any cheaper than what they
offer if you include phone service, in fact it is a bit pricier.

In conclusion there is no reason to sign up with Primus. They also have the
underhanded policy of requiring 30 days notice to cancel service that the
other big companies have - they tell you that if you don't like the service
you can just cancel but when you have to give 30 days notice you end up
paying for 2 services for those 30 days - it is a money grab.

• Location: M4Y
Bad "everything."

I have never had so many problems, and such bad service, than trying to deal
with Primus.

I'm only still trying because I'm renting, and my landlord thinks for some
reason they're better than the competition. They aren't. I can't even list
all the complete screwups, and not once have I dealt with a useful or nice
customer service person there. Once, I was talking to a level 3 tech, and he
seemed pretty great, but he's obviously a diamond in a sea of brown.

Avoid Primus at all costs.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Maevin See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Same as the rest DSL 5mbps, phone with long distance"
Bad "They failed to send welcome package. They lied about the UBB as it affects its users"
Overall "I will leave as soon as I can"

I signed on to Primus because my brother has them. I was to be sent a Welcome package telling about my new provider. Never came. I contacted them to send me one. They said they would email and mail one out. Neither came. They said they would contact me when the service was hooked up. Never did. I called at the end of the period they told me it would be hooked up. They told me it was hooked up a week ago.

They told me the new UBB was starting February 1st and that CRTC/Bhell were forcing them to do so. I told them it was March 1st, I have read this from several sources and read the tariff. They said, You are wrong and the money will be collected February 1st and sent to Bhell.

They have there own internet connection aside from Bell ( called a Dslam) that is not effected by Bhell and the UBB but they are still charging UBB rates to them as well.

They are jumping onto this money grab and hiding behind Bhell. All the other IPS providers are fighting this for there customers and themselves. I left Bhell and Rogers to get away from their greed and have fallen into their little brother.