Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc. page on DSLReports

Review by xsbell See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Fast and a great price!"
Bad "Uses Bell's GAS Network"
Overall "Get Primus!"

Absolutely the BEST IISP using GAS! They have the best mix of routing/transit and peering arrangements out of any other IISP. In the seven years I've been with them, I've only had a couple of issues, but this was because of Bell's legacy ATM network.

When I did have issues (congestion on Bell's DSLAM uplinks), and needed to call into tech support, every support person I spoke with were absolutely fantastic. (apart from one about five years ago.. forget his name, but he probably doesn't work there anymore anyways.)

Patiently waiting for GAS-FTTN speeds!

Comments:

Review by geod2 See Profile

• Location: Brantford,ON
Good "Good service, predictable billing, reasonable speed, no cap"
Bad "Nothing I can think of"
Overall "Excellent alternative to Bhell and Robbers, good value for money"

I posted a review of Primus Canada a little over 2 years ago.

My review at the time was quite positive. Today, I am still with
Primus and remain satisfied with the service.

I am in Brantford and on a Primus DSLAM (i.e. I am on Primus's
network, not Bell's). The speed is advertised as 7mbit. In practice,
I find that my download speed tops out at around 680 K/sec and
usually runs about 650-660 K/s. These numbers drop when the network is at
peak times for usage (e.g. Sunday evening) then climbs back to normal
when higher priority traffic subsides.

Primus's traffic management practice (see
»primus.ca/en/residential/interne···ment.htm
for details) is reasonable, in my opinion. They assign highest
priority to time-sensitive traffic such as voip and gaming, next is
web browsing & email and lowest is bulk traffic such as file transfers
(which are not time-sensitive). This is very similar to the QoS
settings I have applied on my router for my own home network and which
I consider prudent network management practice.

I have the triple bundle (home phone, dsl internet, long distance
package). My bill is predictable (to the cent) each month and
contains no surprises or unexpected charges. The phone service is at
least as good as Bell's and I am happy with it. One of the things I
really like is the telemarketing blocker. If a telemarketer does
call, right after I hang up, I dial *44 to report that last calling
number as a telemarketer and it is then blocked. I now get very few
nuisance calls.

I'm a happy customer. Service is reliable, I have no cap, reasonable
internet traffic management practice and it's less expensive than
Robbers or Bhell.

I recommend this company, particularly if you can get on Primus's own
network rather than Bhell's for your internet service.

Comments:

Review by sas See Profile

• Telco party Primary Network
Good "Lowest cost bundle at the time, consistent dsl speed"
Bad "Occasional short outages"
Overall "good values for money"

I used to have Bell Canada for my landline phone service, and an independent ISP for my DSL internet service. Total cost was about $75.

A little more than 2 years ago, I switched to Primus for the phone line and DSL Lite bundle for $40+taxes.

The ordering was short and painless. I explained to the sales rep what my expectations were, she recommended me the packages. The offer made sense (and dollar$) to me, so I signed up.

The switch from Bell to Primus was smooth. I was at work, so I did not notice any service interruption, if any. Internet connection had some initial hiccups but went smoothly 2 days after I had the phone line activated. I had my former internet overlapped 2 weeks, so it was non-issue. Their Thomson speedtouch was not working, so I used my old DSL modem with the settings given by tech support. He even called me back after I got disconnected (yes, it was more than 1 hour tech call). I wanted to return their modem with they said it would not reduce my monthly cost, so I just kept it. The reason why I gave 4 stars only for tech support because it was the only time I got the best support. It went downhill after that :-(.

On the phone service, I got a few extra features such as caller number display, telemarketting guard, and free 60 minutes long distance in North America. If I subscribed to all that with Bell Canada, I would have paid at least $10 extra. Interestingly, Primus leased Bell's line for the phone service.

On the DSL Lite internet, I paid only half of what I used to pay for internet, but the speed I got is only 1Mb/s compared to 5Mb/s of the other ISP. Primus however, provide consistently 1Mb/s compared to the range of 1 - 5 Mb/s of the other. I mostly got an average 3Mb/s with the former ISP. For my needs at the time, I could get by so I am happy with the savings of $27 a month. Bandwidth is unlimited, though I rarely go over 80GB/month even when the kids use torrents.

Customer service usually drag their feet with their typical emails such as "we value your business", "please do not hesitate to contact us", but take long for them to address your problem or solve it. All the problems were addressed and resolved to my satisfaction but take time.

Hope this review helps others to make their choice of their next phone/internet provider.

Comments:

Review by Dr Zeeke See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "No contract, Telephone/Internet Combo with Unlimited Usage Internet & Free worldwide Long Distance"
Bad "No major Complaints"
Overall "Good value for the $$ when compared to the giants -ie Rogers & Bell"

Had Rogers Internet for about 6 years .... Cost climbed continuously, services dropped .so tried Bell for 5 years ... same story with Internet & Telephone ... Very slow limited bandwidth ... not as advertised.

Primus package was advertised at $74.00 for Unlimited usage up to 7 Mbps ... I happily avg. about 5.5 Mbps
Package also included Home Telephone with Call Blocking, Free Worldwide Long Distance, Call Answering, Caller ID, Call Waiting etc ... has worked Perfectly for over 2 years now

$3.00 rental fee for a Thomson Firewall Modem with 4 hard wire ports and wireless connections (Works Well)

Comments:

Review by main3 See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "No complaint everything came work day 1"

Well this service is exactly what they say it is. Telephone, high speed internet and unlimited long distance for 74.99. What can I ask more I am saving 45.00 from Bell for the same product? Customer service is very good and finally I can understand what they are saying. They also respected the due date WOW.

Comments:

Review by SimGuy See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Cheap, Reliable"
Bad "Slow (its dialup!)"
Overall "Cheap, Reliable"

·TekSavvy Cable
Before having DSL installed locally in 2009, I spent 2 years on the 56K Dial-Up service offered by Primus. Never once got a busy signal trying to connect to their head-end, and the speed was as acceptable as you could get considering the circumstances (24,000-foot loop length, load-coils, overhead bus wiring and 35-year old interior quad cabling).

It was cheap, it worked, and let you stay connected for up to 12 hours before being forced to disconnect and reconnect.

All in all, slow as a snail, but got the job done.

Comments:

Review by vuarra See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Unlimited bandwidth"
Bad "DSL"
Overall "I know what I was buying."

I will start by saying two things: I have not read any other reviews on Primus, and I have just come from Cogeco.

I ordered the service over the internet; I have a VoIP account with them as well. I was unhappy that there was a draconian cap on total data from Cogeco, and since I was dropping their cable services (I have an antenna farm set up that receives amazing HD signals), I decided on going to something that will not have me watching a netmeter to make sure I was not going to get a "fine".

I ordered on a Sunday. The Bell rep showed up about 9 days later. Install went as well as could be. Two days later, I got my router in the mail. Setting it up was simple (power, telco link, and ethernet link).

Phone calls (remember, I have VoIP) are about the same. The rest of the family have noticed little to no difference. The only time I see a difference is when I am downloading from the net. While I wish I could get the 16 MiB/s speed that is Bell only, I have 5MiB/s, and that is good enough for now.

Comments:

Review by chex383 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "cheap price, easy, clear billing, decent customer service"
Bad "slow internet speeds (network/Bell issue) service repair more difficult"
Overall "Decent basic service similar to Bell DSL for almost half the money."

So I am an American who moved to Montreal, Quebec 2 years ago., I live in a place in the city with a roommate, and the place came with Bell DSL. I kept going over Bell's transfer caps, so I had to up my plan to the $60 month 80GB month package.

The switch-over was very smooth, no tech needed to come, and while the transfer speeds of their network is slow, I think that is mostly Bell shaping the traffic down to Primus's POP in Toronto, which is unfortunate.

Overall, I am happy with the service

Comments:

Review by Xuhum See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Connection is ok, Speeds are mediocre, phone is a great deal!"
Bad "Tech Support is Crap, Install took a month."
Overall "They're ok if you know how to deal with them."

When I first signed up with Primus they said it was going to take about 2 weeks to get my Internet on the line. Two weeks go by and my old Internet is Canceled in 13 days, 1 day before Primus should of got my Internet up. I call Primus and ask what's up, they said that it will take about 2 days because they don't have a C.O. in my area "Ottawa". Two days go by and I try out the modem they gave me, It's broken, I send it back and get a new one taking about 1 week. This one works, READ this because if you sign up you should be expecting this, I go to signup.primus.ca and put all my info there and all the info I got was WRONG. I call them again and they sort it out. Now I got Internet on 1 computer. When I call them up again, 3 people there said they don't support network routers. So I'm on my own, If you want to "buy a network router and you have Primus MAKE SURE IT SUPPORTS PPPoE".

Update: 2 years gone by, am not savvy with the speeds I've been getting for the last 5 years with Primus and Bell (3mbps). Only had 2 major disconnections in 2 years. Tech Support doesn't know anything, am paying for up to 7mbps which I know I am able to get according to my connection stats (RCO = 28%, and SNR = 31.5dB) to cover up for not knowing how to change a modem profile they say I am too far away from them when the exchange is less than 1km from my house. Am going to switch to Cable to suffice my urge for better speeds as DSL in my area will never get any faster since Bell doesn't know what their doing.

member for 7 years, 1080 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Martin See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC

Review deleted!