Knology page on DSLReports

Review by frd123 See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Charleston,SC
Good "Fast reliable internet, Awesome Support"
Bad "Initial connection problems for the entire street"
Overall "They came and sat in the street until the issues were reasolved"

Switched from AT&T DSL, which I had been using since my ISDN days. The other option in our area is Time Warner (nuff said). I got the highest speed available in our area decided on Knology because my brother-in-law swears by them. I work close to the knology office so I walked in. The installer came right on time, he did an ok job running the cable to my bedroom, we have since removed a screen porch and re-routed the cable.

Initially our service would drop every night around 9:00pm. Not just mine, everyone on our street was having an issue. They messed around with resetting my modem and replaced it once. After 2 weeks they parked a truck in front of my house and discovered an issue at the pole at the end of our street. It's been 11 months and our service has been flawless since.

join:2012-06-11

Other providers take note!

Most of the "big boys" (concast, charter, ect) automatically ignore customers have informed a CSR of an obvious issue outside of their home, yet these companies INSIST on sending a home tech out first which of course determines that all is well at the home and that the issue is a line or network issue, and then a line tech or network tech is dispatched to the appropriate location. Why not save the customer frustration, and the time and money of the company, and just dispatch the line tech when the situation is OBVIOUS.

• Location: Lawrence,Douglas,KS
Bad "Unreliable internet service"
Overall "Knology sucks"

Unfortunately, I need to give a star rating because I can't give a lesser
rating. I wish I could give a negative star rating. For several weeks, I
have not been receiving all of my emails, having been notified of such by
the senders. I call the phone number, only to be directed by "Automan" to
input my phone number, for the purpose which has yet to be determined
because after I finally do get to speak with a live individual, I am asked
for my phone number. WHY? I already punched that in. For the umpteenth
time, I explain frustratedly that I am not getting all of my emails. I am
informed that the email is a free service of Knology, as if that is an
explanation for why I am not receiving emails. I have heard so many excuses
over the past few weeks, with the blame being placed on everybody but
Knology, with the exception of the second to last time. They informed me
their server was down and all of the emails were backed up. Hence, that is
the reason I received an email 6 hours after it was sent. I have been told
by the General Manager that no emails have been lost. Well, if they aren't
lost, they have been permanently misplaced. I wish I had ISP options, but
the only option in my area is a dish, which is equally unreliable. Here's a
fervent hope that WOW will correct the abysmal service and cavalier
attitude pervasive in Knology. It just p*sses me off that I have to pay for
wholly substandard product and service. The only thing Knology has to offer
over their competition is service; and I feel I have been serviced...in
much the same way a bull services a heifer. And apparently, I am in the
majority of people when I discuss Knology.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Jonny R

@bhfc.net

Knology is the most unprofessional company I have dealt with

The absolute worst cable and internet company I have ever dealt with. S-L-O-W internet,crappy cable. If it rains, it goes out. If it snows, forget it. You might be without service for days, if not weeks. Customer service is non existant, and dealing with some moron in Atlanta is completely frustrating. My labrador retriever is more intelligent than their techs. Have had numerous re-occuring problems, and when they supposedly fix them, it is just a matter of days, or weeks at most, till it goes down again. They also have the practice of mailing your bill so close to the due date, than unless you overnight it, you will be paying a late fee. A disgusting scam company that could care less about their customers. I would rather go without internet and cable than to deal with these idiots (too kind a word) again. Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic. Go elsewhere!!! On a scale of one to ten, I would rate them at minus 20.

Cable Worst

@knology.net

WORST Cable EVER

Worst cable we have ever had! We ve lived all over the country and had different services, never this bad. DVR messes up at least 1 time per month. Failed recordings, erased/disappearing recordings while watching it, pixalated and unwatchable recordings, erased/disappearing recordings while away from house and not 100% full. The list goes on and we ve only had the service for 5 months. We are restricted to this as the only option on our apartment property as well. I recommend using Internet only + Netflix w/online watching. NOT the cheapest in area by far. My husband has had Charter Cable in 2008 and said it was cheaper and reliable! Tell everyone how horrible Knology products are and to avoid at all costs, even if it means not having cable at all. Their Internet is fine. No real issues with that so far.

Review by deface See Profile

• Location: Panama City,Bay,FL
Good "Inital Cost of $79.99/mo for first 12mo."
Bad "After 12 months cost shot to $120.00+/mo almost double. Internet recently is VERY slow. Package entales 25/5 -> Getting 5/50k."
Overall "Not bad at first, when the internet is going strong I get bursts of over 30mb+ down and 10mb+ up. TV is good, never used phone."

Knology is the 2ND to newest internet service, television, phone provider. Mediacom being the newest, and we all know how terrible mediacom's internet service is. *YUCK* Let me start by giving you a little background on my situation. I am a college graduate with a bachelors in Computer Sciences with emphasis on Network Administration and Unix Administration. I work from home, I own my own business. I switched over from Comcast to Knology basically for shoots and giggles, also because their prices were amazing. ($79.99) in comparison to (140.00 w/ Comcast). Now I know, I know.. Prices should NOT determine the quality of product especially when it comes to work/business, but I have friends who have them and they said stability was good. "Two Thumbs Up." At first everything was GREAT. Amazing speed on DOC SIS2 with coming upgrades for DOC SIS3. (Was already on DOC SIS3 with Comcast.) After about 6 months of great clean service (aside from a HD receiver going bad, with immediate replacement and NO problems) I have noticed my internet seems almost metered. In lamens terms that means they are not allowing me to go any faster than a set speed, possibly because of over-usage? I checked, nope. I call tech support. They say there are no known network issues. Now I'm frustrated. I am a network administrator, don't tell me there isn't any reason why my network will not break 2.5 MB/sec on a 25 MB/sec plan. The issue seemed to resolve itself, and I didn't complain anymore. Well I am back to the good ol 3 MB/sec downloads and I am writing a review about it. I seem to be getting the same run around. The problem is, I administer a network for a client ( Prominent Local Architect ) which requires me to move around very large files, or place them in a cloud I run. Something that would normally take me 15 - 20 minutes to download is requiring over 2 1/2 hours to download now, and the download fails a guaranteed amount of two times minimum. This is causing unneeded stress, and client frustration. When the client gets mad, the techie gets even more upset. So all and all. If the problem isn't resolved today. I will be having Comcast come back out ASAP and sign me up for that pretty brand new 100mbit business line I've been dreaming of.

Thanks to those who took the time to read!,

Sincerely

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "Ehh..."
Bad "Cost, Service, Bill pay methods"

Do not set up automatic bill pay! I cancelled my service on January 4th
and they sent me a bill for the entire month of January. When I called
customer service about it, they told me to disregard it because my service
was cancelled and I would not be charged for that month. Then on January
26th, my credit card was automatically charged for the full month of
service. I then called customer service again and they said that it was
because I had service for 2 days in that billing cycle and the
system automatically charges you for the full month. They then said that
they would refund me the difference in the form of a check, but it would
take 60-90 days for me to receive it. If you have no other choice but to
use Knology, do not give them your credit card number!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Evans4 See Profile

• Location: Evans,Columbia,GA
Good "Phone service has not let me down"
Bad "TV cable always some issue"
Overall "Cheaper than Comcast, but"

I had the Triple Play (Augusta, GA), Cable-Internet-Phone installed in July, now in December, i have had numerous cable issues, picture flashing, loss of sound, loss of picture. Of course service is sent out and normally the fix lasts from days to several weeks. Sometimes an initial problem returns. With that said, I never had this amount and differing issues with Comcast. Knology claims to be customer oriented yet over the last FIVE months problems cannot be resolved, why? I am reconsidering spending the extra $23 per month and returning back to Comcast.

Comments:

Review by KneeCap See Profile

• Location: Panama City,Bay,FL
Good "Reliable, fast, no contract, USA-based tech support"
Bad "Price has increased $10 since my introductory package expired"
Overall "Great service and good price"

I have Phone and Internet service, no television. I originally started with 6Mbps service, and was automatically increased to 12Mbps at no additional cost when DOCSIS 3 was activated in my area. Speeds have always been as advertised.

Netflix and Hulu+ work fine over Knology internet. Phone service has never missed a beat.

I've had only one internet outage over the last two years, and it affected the whole neighborhood for a couple of days. After it was fixed, Knology sent a technician door-to-door to check that everyone was back online. (My old DSL service went out every time it rained. The phone company sent plenty of techs to work on it, but they were never able to fix it).

I've called tech support three or four times so I could register new modems. Each time I talked to a knowledgeable tech in the US and had to wait only a few seconds to get through.

Comments:

Review by Rollins See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "25/5 Internet provides ~28/7 consistently, faster than advertised"
Bad "Lacking in established HD channels such as USAHD"
Overall "Great value, great internet, excellent quality on HD that they have"

I live in Huntsville, AL and I recently switched from AT&T 6Mbps DSL to Knology's DOCSIS 3.0 service. So far I am very impressed. They did an excellent job on installation. They buried the cables out to my house within one week and did not mess up anything else (sprinklers, phone line, etc.) in the process. I use a HDHomerun in combination with Windows 7 MCE for my DVR service, and I get all the local channels in HD plus a few others and a variety of digital music channels without a cable card. I purposely did not have Voice installed as I do not care about it, and it just adds FCC/tax fees for something I do not use. However, the current deal is phone/internet/hd cable for $79/month for 12 months. I signed up for it subtract phone.

The excellent is the internet. I bought a Motorola 6120 cable modem and I get reliable 25+ Mbps downloads and ~7Mbps uploads. However, my subdivision just got Knology infrastructure installed so the node may not be loaded yet. As-is, I love it and really could not ask for better. I had Mediacom for a short span and it would disconnect randomly throughout the day. I could not stand that.

The tv is really good on the channels you get. All the channels come in clean and crisp. The HD channel quality looks as good as any Directv HD channels that I have seen. The real issue is the lack of HD channels. Especially the better ones like USAHD. Some would say SYFYHD, but I do not care as much on that one. All the locals come in perfectly.

Honestly, I think they will add the missing HD channels over time, and I would much rather have fast internet than a ton of satellite channels I will not watch anyway. The knology web site needs some serious work. It looks ok, but it is not up-to-date and it is not very helpful. No one wants to have to call customer service or get a call-back to answer simple questions these days. That and more HD channels are the only two areas I can see the need for improvement.

Over the years I have used Directv, DISH, Mediacom and AT&T for tv and/or internet, and Knology is providing the best experience I have had to date out of them all. However, I would rank internet speed as more than twice as important as the tv portion of the service.

04-21-2011 Update -----------------

I increased my tech support rating because I received my first bill and I had not received free installation like I was promised. Also, I was charged for modem rental even though I bought my own modem. The lady I spoke to took care of both issues immediately (assumed until I get my next bill), and I did not have to wait on hold to talk to someone.

Comments:

Review by Master Wolfe See Profile

• Location: Panama City Beach,Bay,FL
Good "So far so Good"
Bad "Some patience is required to get what you ordered working"
Overall "They appear to have finally gotten it together in my area."

Third time seems to be the charm. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but so far it's been great. The Docsis 3 upgrades appear to have fixed the internet issues. My speeds are great and fairly consistent, average about 25 down and 6 up with the Edge package.

It took a week to get my cableCARD in my Tivo working properly, and it still shows as unactivated, BUT I'm getting all the channels I'm supposed to. Don't understand that at all. And no one I spoke to on the phone seemed to understand what the problem was/is, but bottom line is, it works for now.

I had to call the next day to get someone to actually turn on all the phone features I'm supposed to be getting, but they seem to be working fine as well.

So, bottom line again, it takes some working with them and patience to get everything installed, but after two weeks, overall things have been good. Based on past expedience I'm waiting on the other shoe to drop, LOL, but so far I'm pleased.

****************************************************************************************

A year later, I moved, and decided to give them a try on the beach side. Got The Edge service, first week was good. By the second week, however, around 5-6 pm every day, speeds drop drastically. The speeds drop to 3 mb/s and below. Night before last, around 9 pm, I was barely above 1 mb/s. Once again, I am most likely going back to Comcast.

On the positive/negative side, after my install, the tech left me with signal levels of -11.8 on the down, and over 58 on the up. After posting on the knology board here, a very nice tech contacted me via email, and offered to come fix these issues. At a day agreed upon, he and a fellow Knology employee spent several hours in the rain fixing that issue. They were very helpful, and very professional.

But bottom line is, until they can get their system fixed, I still cannot recommend them.

=========================================================

The price sounds good, and if the connection were reliable it might be worth it. However, the connection was very unsteady. And, the price they advertise is base price for very basic service. All 'extras' are another $10 each. So by the time you get to the same level of service you had with the other guys, you end up paying MORE for a slower connection, fewer channels, and bad video.My 6 mb connection varied at all hours of the day from 512-ish speeds up, cable channels were pixelated and would occasionally drop. Their support staff was nice, but ultimately useless. When I called to cancel, the lady made snipey remarks about the other company, and that was not at all professional.

===================================

member for 5.9 years, 2894 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Pourak See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Muscogee,GA
Good "Customer service tries to sound like they care"
Bad "Horrible latency, super-slow download"
Overall "If you can at all avoid it please do yourself a favor and do"

So we ordered knology because our apartment complex doesn't offer another provider unfortunately. They advertise 6MB download speeds but each test I have done on speedtest.net is less than 1MB. I called tech support and he said "wow...your latency that I see from my end is 3000, we will send someone out in a couple of days because there is obviously a problem." The problem is that the speeds on the speed test websites show fine, however when you try to download anything you might as well go out for dinner cause it will still be downloading regardless of how long you are out. If you try gaming at all, you're gonna quit cause it lags so incredibly bad. So the tech guy comes out and I describe my problem and he says and I quote: "It's weird, there are 3 people I have to see in this complex today who report the same problem." He checks the internet and deems it fine and then says " I will call you when I'm finished with the others today and give you a status update at that time." He of course never calls back and my connection is still absolutely awful. PLEAASE do yourself a favor and go with anyone but knology because they frankly couldn't care less about their customers.

Comments:

Review by barryry See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Good Value, Reliable Connection."
Bad "Not the Fastest Internet Available."
Overall "I am Pleased with Knology"

I am happy with Knology, Good Value, Free Usenet, Decent Internet Speed.

I have Phone, Internet, TV. and pay $89.00 plus taxes, I consider this an excellent Value!