Knology page on DSLReports

Review by zpm See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Muscogee,GA
Good "Good service"
Bad "Slow speeds ftm"
Overall "Better than charter or mediacom in my area"

My household was tried of mediacom with their crappy video services(poor customer service, honestly, 2 weeks to fix a broken cable is well, crappy) and we were also tried of at&t slow internet and phone services, so after 10 years with mediacom/at&t, we switched to knology for phone, cable, and internet. Knology's phone service is standard, cable is fine, internet is in the process of upgrades but we hope for higher speeds in the coming months. I'm able to get any problem i see resolved in 48 hrs or less. only problem i see right now, is prep work for docsis 3.0.

150 for 3 box's, HD, high speed internet(6 mbps down) and voice is not too bad. i wish it was a little lower but i'm better off having to remember 1 number to call instead of 2.

Comments:

Review by scmdslguy28 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Muscogee,GA
Good "Very reliable connection"
Bad "Could use just a little more upload"
Overall "I love my high speed connection!"

Today is my first day of our Knology high speed connection. The technician came between 2 and 4 pm as promised. He took the time to make sure all of the outside connections were proper and secure. He also took the time to straighten out an issue with our digital cable (he called in to make sure we had the proper movie channels). He tested the high speed internet on my wife's laptop and all was said and done! The modem used is a Linksys CM 100 cable modem and it is connected to a Linksys wireless router WRT54GS (my wife's laptop uses the wireless). My wife and I are very happy and glad to have high speed internet!

More updates to follow...

Update 05/16/09

All is still going well; download is still what it should be. I am not sure if we got a boost in download speed or it may be just the time of day! Could use more upload!

member for 10.6 years, 185 visits, last login: 4.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by kmwilson See Profile

• Location: Augusta,Richmond,GA
Good "speed, uptime, ip retention, plug in and forget about it..."
Bad "field people lack high def knowledge/experience"
Overall "great company, they were first in augusta to offer cable modem, forever changing the playing field!"

My subdivision was Knology of Augusta's initial dig. I signed for phone, every cable channel, and high-speed internet. That was 10 years ago. My bill has gone from $150 to $225 per month over the years, that includes every cable channel (except the sports package), includes digital music, the jump to high-def tv with 2 HD STB's (one being a DVR). Knology came to town with something no one else had (high speed internet) bundled with stuff offered by many others (phone/cable), neatly packaged, albeit they had to run their own cable. Over the first few years, I think a Knology truck (or 5) drove into my neighborhood every day doing who knows what, modem resetting was semi-monthly, the bill read like stereo instructions, etc. After a few years, and after all the Mexicans were done drilling cable into the ground all around town, things settled down. I've enjoyed many years of connectivity, telephony, and tv with Knology. I give them a 9 out of 10 overall. I'd like to see their field people a little more experienced with their high-def equipment. The ability to use an HDMI cable and to properly setup audio would show some smarts, rather than just being able to split and screw on a few pieces of co-ax and get a picture and pretend to be done.

Comments:

Review by voipgrog See Profile

• Location: Panama City,Bay,FL
Good "Solid service. No caps or filtering"
Bad "Cable modem won't forward ports, upload is sloooooooow"
Overall "Better than Comcast, the other choice."

I've been using Knology cable interent for a couple of years now and can't really complain about it. I use several VOIP providers with it and have multiple applications running on my home network that I access from the web. The Knology WebStar cable modem is tough to work with when you need to forward ports to things like home alarms, video cameras and VOIP boxes. Since most home users aren't going to be doing these things the Webstar is probably fine. I would prefer a little more control over my web connection.

My upload speeds aren't great either at around 256kbps. Download is fine at around 3Mbps.

The internet through Knology cable has been fairly reliable. We've had very few outages and the small ones we have had were limited to a few hours. I didn't even have to call to have them corrected--the internet just came back on its own.

Our TV reception is pretty awful on some channels, Analog basic cable channels that is... Several occasions we've just watched the shows direct from the web because the local reception was so bad.

Our other choice is Comcast but my neighbors who use Comcast have had problems getting VOIP to work.

Comments:

Review by Corran22211 See Profile

• Location: Lynn Haven,Bay,FL
Good "Quality TV and friendly staff"
Bad "Terrible internet connectivity"
Overall "At this time would not recommend"

I have been having issues with knology for over two months now on the internet connectivity. I have noticed constant drops for a minute at a time for the internet. I have tried to provide them with details on what is happening on my system and on several others in the city. Knology continues to try to point the problem to my system, or signal quality, and even my router. I confirmed at least 3 network drop across 4 different households in different parts of the city and they continue to not look into the issues. The tech support chooses to play the its not happening right now on the phone with you so we will continue to ignore the issue. All it would take is a simple 24 hour period of monitoring of the lines to see this issue and they choose to do nothing of the sorts, even when asked to. They appear to really have gone down hill in support

Comments:

Review by LumpyDaMoose See Profile

• Location: Lynn Haven,Bay,FL
Good "cheap basic TV with Internet"
Bad "each few months the package prices creep up-- in a year you're paying a lot more than you were"
Overall "Internet standalone price is kinda high without other packages"

20Mar09 UPDATE

Dropped digital cable-- price exceeding my electric bill and I basically only watch 5 or 6 channels. I was going to drop their cable TV entirely and keep Internet, but for $5 a month over the standalone Internet price we agreed to keep expanded basic. A lot of content we watch anyway is on Internet streams, like Red Wings hockey (try to find THAT in the Panhandle outside of the finals). Originally this started out as a $66 a month deal with digital cable that crept up to $103 on the last bill I got. I finally said--enough! 200 channels of what amounts to paying for advertisers to irritate me-- can you say Billy Mays or Vince the Sham-Wow guy? I'd drop the whole deal, but I can live with $5 to have some of the TV channels. HD broadcast in our area is not up to snuff yet.

Had some DNS issues where about every 10-15 min. the DNS vanishes and any connected web pages time out-- usually drops a hockey stream at a critical moment! Not sure if they fixed it yet.

16Jul08 UPDATE

Guess the glow wore off. Actually, the internet part of the deal is still fine, but after watching my formerly inexpensive service surpass even what I paid with Crimecast, I think I will be dropping the TV end of the deal. There were increases in the premium channels and I so rarely watch those, it's just not worth it. It occurred to me that I am watching about 5 channels of all available and PAYING to have very annoying advertisers shout at me every 6 minutes on most cable channels. The premium movie channels (Starz, etc.) have played the same 20 films for the last year! I expect my bill will drop to about $60 a month with just Internet. I would be reluctant to keep even that except I need the connection to my workplace via VPN to work from home. The total cost is now $97 a month from $72 and I don't think it's worth it anymore. I think I can do better with Netflix. I will miss History/Discover/TLC/Military Channel, but oh well . . .

* * * * * * * *

Changed over from Comcast, as they cost more than my electric bill most months and had pretty crappy analog TV on basic cable. Knology offered $33 each for bundled Internet, plus digital TV with a choice of one premium channel. Way better selection than my former provider, probably 50+ more channels.

Knology's infrastructure is considerably newer in our area; Comcast's is pretty chewed up what with our weather on the Gulf Coast. Good strong signal, no invisible caps, no "wires contracting and expanding at night" and I have yet to have my VoIP calls dropped after 10 minutes as with the other guys. (Former Sunrocket customer-- now using Nuvio)

They set up an all-new box outside and tested the connections inside. Tech was very helpful and answered our questions as best he could.

If they keep up the good work, we'll be staying with them.

Comments:

Review by SunnyD See Profile

• Location: Madison,Madison,AL
Good "Somewhat reliable, looks like a good deal on paper, POTS phone service"
Bad "Additional fees, horrible billing and really bad rush-hour pings"
Overall "You're better off getting something else if you can"

On paper, the deal looked amazing - $23/month for each of internet, phone and cable for a total of $69/mo. Unfortunately, that's where the deal ends - on paper. They provide a POTS phone line, which is nice and not like most cable companies, but with the POTS line also comes all traditional telco taxes and fees. Speaking of taxes and fees, they charge a monthly fee if you don't provide your own cable modem. When it's all said and done, their deal is no better than their competitors, and even worse when you count billing errors that occur on a monthly basis. Each of the three months I've had service, I've had a mysterious "previous balance" listed for an additional $20.99, each month which was paid. Fishy billing was strike 1.

Strike 2: node congestion. Evening ping times have gradually risen to their current levels of 300ms or more making any sort of streaming unbearable and any sort of gaming nearly impossible.

On a side note, 8Mbps downstream has been fairly "reliable" at about 6.1Mbps. Upstream is laughable but typical at 384Kbps.

All in all, you get what you pay for I guess. Which explains why to get anything other than basics out of Knology, they charge you outrageous additional charges (like an extra $50/mo if you want HD). I should have known it wasn't going to be pretty when TWO install teams came to my house and still took about two hours to get everything done.

member for 5.6 years, 1013 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by goalieskates See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "almost no downtime, good customer service"
Bad "not quite as fast"
Overall "May not be the fastest, but we're happy"

We moved to Knology after having had internet service with BellSouth (now AT&T) for a number of years followed by ComCast.

BellSouth DSL went through a phase where emails were lost, service was frequently interrupted and customer service might as well have been a whole separate company, since you were shunted from one department to another to resolve problems and had to start over each time. We got frustrated, they were rude (do you really want to hear "we can't" from a cs rep?), and we gave up.

This led to the move to ComCast, which was faster but again had customer service issues including mystery charges (everything was extra) that finally drove us to look for alternatives.

Enter Knology. It's not quite as fancy as ComCast, and not quite as fast. However, it's also less expensive than ComCast after CC's teaser rates expired.

Customer service is extremely responsive and wonder of wonders, it's American. Also, the service is rock-solid, unlike AT&T. Emails go through, and there has been almost no downtime since we made the switch. When they had their flirtation with NebuAd, I complained and when normal customer service couldn't address my concerns, they bucked the problem higher and I was able to speak with real people in the corporate office.

The associated telephone service is landline based, not VOIP like ComCast. The VOIP wasn't so terrible, really, but ComCast, like AT&T, appeared to not have fully integrated their telephone service with their cable offerings or internet, and it was another frustrating exercise of being shunted from one department to another. Knology on the other hand has resolved minor glitches smoothly and offers all the same extras.

A word about installation: When we moved to ComCast we got a new installation that was pretty hokey, where they wrapped and stapled cable across two sides of our house right up to the front door. It was your typical "old tires in the front yard" redneck look. When we moved to Knology, they completely reinstalled and did so in a professional and unobtrusive manner.

member for 10.1 years, 3503 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by FROSTY1942 See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "speed, customer support"
Bad "Billing mix-ups"
Overall "Waiting for FIOS, then I'll compare them."

I'd been with verizon for over 20 + years thru lots of ups and downs. I liked the

guys who came out to the house and the level 2 tech support folks since they knew what they were talking about. Once I got past the clerks who just read answers from a computer screen, I could usually get my problems solved. So, I was reluctant to switch to a NEW Provider, but the promised FIOS still hasn't arrived in my zip code and when we moved I had billing problems for the first time

ever. They kept promising to straighten them out, but I had to call ever month when the bill came,and listen to the automated answering machine, sit on hold for up to 20 minutes then talk to 2 or 3 people to resolve the problem. FINALLY, I was

fed up and gave them the boot. We have been VERY PLEASED with Knology, but if and when FIOS finally gets here, I will try it out just to see if it as BIG & BAD as they claim. Then I'll kept one or the other. But FIOS will have a big hill to climb !

They folks I've dealt with at Knology are polite,helpful,and I get thing done with ONE brief phone call!

Comments:

Review by arabali See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "Fast Install"
Bad "Connection is poor (worst than 56K), no tech service, and the cost is through the roof!"
Overall "Don't get this! Try AT&T DSL!"

I just moved into the area from Lexington, Kentucky. The provider there was named Insight. My package there was a 30mb down, 2mb up cable connection for 40.00 a month. For two straight years, I have not once had an issue with Insight or any other cable connection until Knology. With this said, I get here to find out 6.5mb with 378up costs 57.99 (without a bundle or cable service). That was a extreme shocker to me and to find out that the connection doesn't even get 1/5 of the advertised speed. To give you an idea of how bad this connection really is 56k average ping time is between 140ms-200ms (server differs). I'm receiving a ping of anywhere from 450ms to 1400ms (the lower the better). So, I relay this information to the Knology reps and they do everything from switching out modems to having a cable-tech come test my line. Nothing prevails, so the on-phone tech finally admits it's on their side and says he can't do anything about it and that they'll send another technician out to my place! I've read the reviews and I too have experienced the casual run-around that Knology provides it's customers. I'm off to DSL!

07/28/08

It's been about a week now since my last review and still awaiting action from Knology. To prove how much this service really blows, feel free to check out my ping loss on the attachment below!

08/05/08

Another week gone by and still no support. Contacted their internet department and all they can tell me is that they're working on it. The head technician and his side-kick obviously can't fix my connection. I'm forwarding this link to the City Council of Huntsville -- wish me luck.

08/09/08

Packetloss is back up to 60%, bandwidth is peaking at 1.8mb, and pings are consistently high -- really high! Service has been worse then before and tech support has no idea how to fix it. So I'm left with the bill. I guess when they get upset with me not paying my cable bill -- I'll just say I don't know how to pay bills. Seems to work for them...

member for 12.8 years, 165 visits, last login: 4.1 years ago