Knology page on DSLReports

Review by Dave Krueger See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "Good download speeds and minimal downtime"
Bad "Email delayed by hours/days, terrible tech support, very laggy gaming"
Overall "I'll probably switch back to Comcast"

I switched from Comcast to Knology many months ago because Comcast's download times and reliability were so bad.

About the only good things that can be said for knology is that they have pretty good download times and their network is usually up. I get download speeds of about 2.5 Mbps (their advertised rate is 3Mbps). Network outages have been rare. Installer was good, but knology didn't tell me in advance that they would want to add more wiring beyond what I already had from Comcast.

Customer support is terrible. They will assume the problem is with you and will get you to reconfigure your computer while they fumble around looking for an answer. A case in point was when the MAC address they had configured for me mysteriously changed and I suddenly lost service. Their lower tear support are basically useless and their second tear support assumes you're a complete moron. I've learned that when there is an outage, it's best not to call them (ie: let someone else do it). The problem is most likely on their end and they'll eventually fix it themselves.

The biggest problem I have with knology is that email is delayed from minutes to days and this has been going on for many months. This is the case for both my computer as well as my wife's and even when I send a message to myself!. I don't know where or why they store email, but I just found out that they are rejecting messages sent to me with a notice that my account is over-quota. Note that nothing was ever sent to me about being over-quota, just the sender. I just happened to stumble across it when I sent a message to myself while checking out the delay problem. My Outlook Express checks for mail every ten minutes and as I write this, many of the messages I'm receiving now were sent yesterday. Whatever happened to the days when e-mail was almost instantaneous?

Finally, while download and ping times are good, my connections to specific game servers are more laggy than other locals seem to get with Comcast.

As of this date, I complained once again about the email problem, but I suspect I'll either be changing back to Comcast soon or get e-mail service from someone else. I spend a ton of money with knology each month on their digital TV and cable modem. From what I've heard, Comcast has now fixed many of their reliability and speed problems and their rates are lower.

Update - 7/15/04

Since I wrote the review I am now aware of other local knology users who are experiencing the same email problems (and none too happy about it). Since knology has actually lost and rejected incoming email messages of personal financial transactions, I now collect incoming email directly from my web host. Since bypassing knology I no longer experience any incoming email delays, rejections, or losses. Of course, my outgoing mail still goes through knology so I'm probably still vulnerable. As in the past, no response from knology as to why the problem is happening or what they're doing to fix it. That, in fact, says more about them as a company than the actual problem itself. Also since the review, I found out that BellSouth offers 3Mbps in my area so that makes for another alternative. Maybe BellSouth has email that actually works.

Update - 12/17/04

Well, after testing Comcast for about a month, I've decided to cancel my knology service. While knology is generally ok as a simple bandwidth supplier, their long ping times and the unreliability of their email make it less than attractive to gamers and people who conduct a lot of finanical transactions over the net (ie: online shopping).

Knology ping times to my game servers are about twice what they are with Comcast. As for email, it's pretty pathetic when you get greater reliability from free email services like yahoo and hotmail than you do from your ISP. When someone sends me a message I don't want the message to get delayed for days, lost, or the sender to get a rejection from knology saying I'm "over quota" (at the same time as knology's server is telling me that I have no messages). I'm also tired of mysterious happenings like the physical address they have for me suddenly changing or my outgoing email suddenly being blocked for no apparent reason.

Their customer support is a study in ignorance and one can only wonder if it's sole purpose is to function as an impenetrable shield separating their more knowledgeable technicians (assuming they have any) from their customers.

The sequence of events in any support call seems to go something like this:

1. They string you along through a cat and mouse menu system that often asks the same question more than once.

2. They then put you on hold so you can listen to knology advertising for ten or twenty minutes.

3. Then the call is suddenly dropped.

4. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

5. Then you finally get connected to someone in a different state who asks you a series of questions to "verify your account".

6a. If your problem is complete lack of service, they assure you that you're the only one affected in the area and then take you through the modem reset ritual (unplugging it for xx seconds). Then check to see if they can connect to your modem.

6b. If your problem is with anything other than complete loss of service, they assure you that your computer must be the problem and go through a series of configuration checks many of which have no apparent connection to the problem.

7. They issue a case number and offer to send someone out provided you take off work at least half a day to be there when they come.

8. When you later call them back about the same issue (again repeating steps 1 and 2), they connect you to someone else who asks you to explain the entire problem to them all over again. That person then proceeds to tell you that the first person you talked to was wrong and goes through some other series of queries. This happens on all subsequent calls as well.

9. They hang up with the words, "thank you for using knology". In fact, you could tell them you hope they are all attacked by a vicious flesh eating plague and they would still end the conversation with that line. Don't ask me how I know that.

10. Ultimately, after a few hours, the service magically starts working again without their ever having to come out because the problem was with their equipment the whole time.

Is Comcast (or any other ISP) any better than this? Maybe not. However, I got the impression that Comcast was aware of their customer service shortcomings and are trying to improve them. Only time will tell, but if Comcast reliability is better than Knology, I won't have to call and expose myself to this abusive insulting ordeal as often.

Anyway, Comcast has a 12-month special for people making the switch from knology so I decided to take them up on it. I must say, when I dropped off my knology modem and set top box yesterday, you could just feel the bitter cold condescension and arrogance of the people running the office. The woman in front of me left because she just couldn't spend anymore time in line at the only open window. There was no line for people wanting to sign up for new service, of course.

When I signed up with knology they bragged about their reliability and superiority over Comcast. That lasted about two months. When I walked out of that office yesterday, I was so glad to finally be done with them. I vote with my wallet and knology is no longer going to get my $130 every month.

Goodbye Knology.

Dave Krueger
---------------------------------------------
Huntsville, AL
»www.kruegerphoto.com
dave@kruegerphoto.com

member for 10.2 years, 361 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by TheGiant See Profile

• Location: Elizabethtown,Hardin,KY
Good "Reliablity"
Bad "Not FTTH"
Overall "Great"

Oder went soomthly had to wait on the local Bell to switch phone service. Instal was quick and painless with new lines run to TVs. Data is fast and reliable. Will recoment this ISP to others.

Price increased and a faster Internet speed being offered by competition has end my relation ship with Knology.

Comments:

Review by Cop See Profile

• Location: Madison,Madison,AL
Good "Ok Price for Ok Speed"
Bad "Tech support sucks!"
Overall "Knology is ok if its your only choice"

Ordered Knology Cable service on December 20th 2001. They first told me that I could not get the service because there was not a line run to my house yet but there was a line run to my neighbor. Finally they sent a Engineer out to evaluate it and it turned out they could. It was another month till i could get it installed because i couldn't be home on a weekday so a lot of the saturdays were booked up till March. They gave me a time frame of 8 am to 10 am and he arrived at 8:15 and ran the line underneath my house and up and got me going in about 30 mins. Pretty nice tech. Tech support is pretty good most of the time except sometimes you have to wait a while. There have been mabey 1 or 2 outages but fixed pretty fast. Speed is usally around 1.4 down and 250 up. Overall I give knology a A+

*UPDATE* 7/2/03

Knology has increased speed to 2000/256 and receiving all of it =)

*UPDATE* 3/1/04

Knology has increased speeds to 3000/364! Weha!

*UPDATE* 10/23/04

Well in the past 5 months or so Knology has dropped in quality very very fast! After about a month of getting solid 3000/350, Ive been receiving very poor speeds and they really dont seem to care about it. They also have blocked all ports that allow you to receive pings (port 25 i think) which means the tweak test and line quality tests here do you know good. Ive tried contacting knology about my speed issue and they always spend about 45 mins of running "tests" and having me reboot my computer and rebooting my modem and they end up telling me you look find. Well you know what? Im not fine! Please avoid Knology till they can get their head out of there ..... lets not go there.

Speed Test from »www.knology.net

2004-10-23 21:12:18 EST: 1057 / 352
Your download speed : 1082766 bps, or 1057 kbps.
A 132.1 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 361076 bps, or 352 kbps

*UPDATE*
02/13/05

Knology has given up on my speed issue and no longer cares. Currently getting 700/300 when I should be at 3000/300.

DO NOT GET KNOLOGY!

*UPDATE*
09/16/06

Speed issue has been corrected for a couple months now. Everything currently running pretty smooth at 4300/360

Comments:

Review by Asynja See Profile

• Location: Madison,Madison,AL
Good "Install tech was nice and worked quickly."
Bad "Unbelievably long wait for install, their idea of customer service is to BLAME the customer."
Overall "It makes me miss COX Internet. That's how bad it is."

On paper, Knology looked like a great value, and I liked their package deals. I signed up for a 3Mbps/384Kbps cable package, and their first strike was that I had to wait TWO WEEKS to get it installed. Two weeks! It's been a week since they installed the cable, and I speed test it several times a day. It hasn't been above 500Kbps ONCE. The modem is constantly falling offline, and refuses to resolve domain names half the time. I actually sought out dialup service, because it's more reliable (and faster, in some cases) than Knology.

Their idea of troubleshooting was to blame me. "You must have done something to your computer or the modem." They scheduled a truck roll without telling me, then scolded me because I wasn't there when it showed up.

From reading this site, some people have had good experiences with Knology, but mine was nothing but a 3 week nightmare. Two weeks for installation, and a week of pitiful -- absolutely PITIFUL -- service. I'm looking into getting DSL as fast as possible.

member for 10.2 years, 149 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by L0A See Profile

• Location: Tarpon Springs,Pinellas,FL
Good "great price great connection"
Bad "kinda lame name"
Overall "They are great for the money, my dowl load speed execeed 3,200 I can deal with that"

They came rom no where here in FLorida, but now are starting to hurt the company that thought they had a monopoly here Brighthouse

Comments:

Review by skelet0r See Profile

• Location: Madison,Madison,AL
Good "Decent upload, ummmm"
Bad "Constant scans from people on my node, unsteady connection, still not getting full 3Mb"
Overall "If I could get Comcast, I would"

I had to get Knology because I moved to Madison and Knology is the only cable broadband I can get here. Took a week to get hooked up, speed seems to change from day to day. I ordered 3Mb down, 32kb up, for 50 a month but haven't seen those speeds once. All in all it is an ok ISP for being the only one in town, but I still lag while playing UT2004 or any of the other games I play online. Wish there was something else here.

member for 10.2 years, 636 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by lwgray See Profile

• Location: Augusta,Columbia,GA
Good "Reliable service"
Bad "Tech support assumes all customers are idiots"
Overall "Good value for the price"

I signed up with Knology almost before they had laid all of their cables here in Augusta. Giving me an alternatve to cable and phone companies that I had problems with, really got me on board fast.

Overall, the three services bundled together are excellent, and the company overall is super.

Knology was the first in our area to boost bandwidth to 2mbps. Now, they're about to do it again by kicking us up to 3mbps.

While the first line customer support people seem to be reading off a script (thus the assumption customers don't know what they're doing), the 2nd tier of support is execllent. Unfortunately, to get to the "good" support people, you might have to complain loudly.

Glad to have this company here as an alternative to Comcast, whom I've had horrible experiences with in the past.

member for 13.7 years, 1350 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by gollumfan See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Muscogee,GA
Good "ok tech support"
Bad "terrible service, slow speed"
Overall "find broadband elsewhere"

I have had enough of Knology. I had scheduled the installation of my service 2 weeks before I wanted the installation so that it would get installed on the day I moved in to my apartment. They showed up the friday before I moved in (which would be the next monday) and said I was a no-show. Then wanted me to wait another 2 weeks before they could get another tech out there to install. Then, I had a problem with my cable modem, took it to the knology place to replace and they said a tech had to come to my house and install the new one. Made the appointment, asked off work to be there, and the nevered showed up. Now, was scheduled to get a new cable box today, asked off work again, and guess what, another no-show. Now, I have to have my partner come in on his day off (tomorrow) to cover for me AGAIN so I can be here for knology to come out again. That's 3 no-shows for appointments that I scheduled. Called customer service and they said that they would give me $30 credit....WOW! So much for service, on to Internet speed. Its supposed to be a 3 mbit download....the most get is about 120kB transfer, that's rare. If I could switch cable companies I would, but Knology has an exclusive contract with almost every apartment in the city I live in, must be that that is the only way they can keep customers, by not giving them an option. I am currently looking into direcTV or dish network. Avoid this company like the plague!

btw: here is my current connection speed -

2004-05-13 21:30:58 EST: 173 / 85

2004-05-13 21:32:59 EST: 145 / 41

2004-05-14 14:41:53 EST: 144 / 72

Comments:

Review by jwindham0 See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "Decent Price Speedy Installation"
Bad "Terrible Speeds, Frequent Drop Offs, Service Outage, Worst Customer Service"
Overall "Stay Away.. pay the $30 more a month for Brighthouse"

I contacted the sales office on 4/12 and they scheduled my install for 4/15 between 12 and 2. On 4/15 the tech was knocking on my door at 9am asking if it would be ok to go ahead and get started. Wonderful!

He was an informed Tech, but he didnt want to deal with setting up my service thru my router as he claimed they were not supported. After a bit of trouble and a box swap he got me a signal and left the router for me to deal with.

I called Knology and after 2 transfers and an hour on hold got a tech to take the mac address for my router. Was told it would be about 15 minutes, 3 hours later I finally got service.

Tested my speeds and was coming in 400-800 down and 100-200 up. I was promised 3m down 300 up by the sales office.I called back tech support and they said that my speeds would pick up shortly.They never did.Five days later my speeds were running 300-1100 very erratic with huge drop offs and loss of connection. Again I called tech support and after another hour hold was told they were working in the area and it should stabalize shortly. They never did.

A week, five calls and ten hours of hold later I convinced them I had a real problem and they scheduled a service call for 4/26. A new tech comes to the house swaps out the box and can not get it to lock up a signal, checks the lines and pole behind my hose can not get a signal there either, three hours of trying to get a signal he finally gives up and tells me he will have to refer it to Maintance, and they would get it fixed within 24 hours. The following afternoon I called for a status and found out maintance had not even started my ticket yet, but was assured they would have me up and running in no time. The 28th I called back at 3am and after waiting on hold for an hour was told that maintance had indeed found a serious problem but they werent sure how they would fix it but that they were working on it, and that I had a tech scheduled to come to my house between 11-2 on friday morning. Friday morning I once again call Knology and asked for a status on my open ticket and was told there wasnt a ticket. I asked how that could be that I was expecting a tech anytime and was informed no tech was scheduled for me and that they were not informed of any problems. I explained the situation and she scheduled me a tech between 2-5 and told me to contact billing they would credit me a free month for this inconvience. Well the tech has now come and went, and once more bumped my situation to maintance. He did manage to get me an internect connection of 264/64 ( better than nothing ) but he told me not to get my hopes up because the comments on my file did not look good, he too told me to contact billing for a credit for this nightmare.

I contacted billing and after 35 minutes on hold they credited me a whopping $18, for the past 15 days + whatever else I still have to deal with. Oh joy.

Frankly all I can say is stay away these guys arent even close to what they advertise even when they are working. Gads what a nightmare

Well Knology Maintance was suppose to come out and contact me to let me know they were actually doing something , and still no contact.

Been running this since the tech managed to get me a signal friday.

2004-05-02 10:58:57 EST: 234 / 49

Your download speed : 240265 bps, or 234 kbps.

A 29.3 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 50301 bps, or 49 kbps.

Called to ask status again today and once again they are showing no record of a problem, but they could schedule another Tech to come out and have a look. Blink Blink. ~ beats head on desk ~ I swear the intraoffice communication between National Help Desk and Local Support SUCKS!

Got an IM here from someone saying they would look at my account on monday. Frankly Im sick of people " looking ", FIX IT!

Comments:

Review by mwoodj See Profile

• Location: Madison,Madison,AL
Good "Great Speed, Low Price, No Down Time"
Bad "No complaints"
Overall "Get all your services with Knology and forget about Comcast (and their bloated prices)"

·Callcentric
The installer was on-time. I wanted a line run to the closet so he ran me a new line from the box right into my server closet. He had no problem hooking up to my Linux router and waiting for me to configure it and test. I believe the current quoted speed is 2000/256 but I constantly get 2400/256. I can't really comment on tech support as I have never had to call them. For $35 a month there is no better deal in Huntsville and the surrounding area.

member for 12.7 years, 983 visits, last login: a few hours ago