Knology page on DSLReports

Review by Lark3po See Profile

• Location: Madison,Madison,AL
Good "DOCSIS 3!!!"
Bad "Cost..."
Overall "They are proud of what they offer..."

UPDATE 6/23/2014:

Since Knology was bought by WOW the service has been meh. By "meh" I mean it hasn't really been improved or gotten worse. The only thing that has changed is the price.

My last bill was $164. That was the price for expanded digital cable with HD channels and a single cablecard (no DVR from WOW) and edge internet service (30/5). I could no longer justify spending that much on cable for the few channels I watched. After dropping cable my (internet only) bill *should* be around $60.

The prices are too high in my opinion and if you have other options (not an option for me due to my location) for cable and internet services then I would lean more towards the competition...

UPDATE: Ok, it's been a few years since Knology updated their service in my area and there's really nothing for me to complain about. The service has been rock steady as far as the internet goes. They offer to rent you a cable modem but I bought my own DOCSIS 3 modem as the one they offered was only DOCSIS 2.

Internet speeds are almost always better than the advertised speeds. Very little down time.

TV is meh... They could stand to add a few more HD channels.

Phone is good except for the fact that you have to pay extra for an unlisted number. We got lucky (sarcasm) and got a number that used to belong to someone(s) who never paid their bills so even though we don't give our home number out it rings off the hook. Very aggravating! Oh and you can’t block unlisted or 1-800 numbers…

The only other complaint I have is that the service for phone, HD cable and Edge Plus internet costs me $165.76 a month which is kind of high and if it gets much higher I will start dropping features.

Other than that the service is great!

OLDER: Knology's service used to be pretty boring. I had a 6Mbps down / 356Kbps Up. The ping times used to be high at times and the speed was intermittent.

They recently upgraded our area to DOCSIS 3 and the speed is way up from what it used to be. The basic packages are now 12Mbps Down / 2Mbps Up. I went ahead and upgraded to the "Edge" and get 25Mbps Down/ 5 Mbps up. I've only had the upgraded service for a few days so I'll update in a few weeks and see if the speeds are still rocking!

member for 11.2 years, 1936 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Juke Box See Profile

• Location: Proverbs 3
Good "Great Service and Product"
Bad "The honeymoon is over."
Overall "Cost effective alternative to Comcast"

·WOW Internet and..
Across the street from my house are two utility poles. Comcast ends on of them and Knology ends on the other.

I had Comcast and put up with multiple visits to fix a line problem on my street. I would get slow internet speeds and streaming video made me feel like I was in a hybrid running on diesel. As for cable tv, all my wife and I care for was to watch extended basic cable tv. Comcast wanted to install Cisco boxes in every room, for additional charge, which they would lose their setup frequently. Needless to say, Comcast was fired.

Called Knology and for what I want such as decent internet speeds, 25/5, and extended basic cable, no phone. I get one digital box for the entertainment room and I can just hook up the cable to a tv in the other rooms. Simple I know, but that is all I cared for.

The Tech arrived in the middle of the arrival window. The install was done professionally and I am happy with the service so far.

UPDATE:
Still Loving this service!

member for 13.7 years, 5346 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by deface See Profile

• Location: Panama City,Bay,FL
Good "Inital Cost of $79.99/mo for first 12mo."
Bad "After 12 months cost shot to $120.00+/mo almost double. Internet recently is VERY slow. Package entales 25/5 -> Getting 5/50k."
Overall "Not bad at first, when the internet is going strong I get bursts of over 30mb+ down and 10mb+ up. TV is good, never used phone."

Knology is the 2ND to newest internet service, television, phone provider. Mediacom being the newest, and we all know how terrible mediacom's internet service is. *YUCK* Let me start by giving you a little background on my situation. I am a college graduate with a bachelors in Computer Sciences with emphasis on Network Administration and Unix Administration. I work from home, I own my own business. I switched over from Comcast to Knology basically for shoots and giggles, also because their prices were amazing. ($79.99) in comparison to (140.00 w/ Comcast). Now I know, I know.. Prices should NOT determine the quality of product especially when it comes to work/business, but I have friends who have them and they said stability was good. "Two Thumbs Up." At first everything was GREAT. Amazing speed on DOC SIS2 with coming upgrades for DOC SIS3. (Was already on DOC SIS3 with Comcast.) After about 6 months of great clean service (aside from a HD receiver going bad, with immediate replacement and NO problems) I have noticed my internet seems almost metered. In lamens terms that means they are not allowing me to go any faster than a set speed, possibly because of over-usage? I checked, nope. I call tech support. They say there are no known network issues. Now I'm frustrated. I am a network administrator, don't tell me there isn't any reason why my network will not break 2.5 MB/sec on a 25 MB/sec plan. The issue seemed to resolve itself, and I didn't complain anymore. Well I am back to the good ol 3 MB/sec downloads and I am writing a review about it. I seem to be getting the same run around. The problem is, I administer a network for a client ( Prominent Local Architect ) which requires me to move around very large files, or place them in a cloud I run. Something that would normally take me 15 - 20 minutes to download is requiring over 2 1/2 hours to download now, and the download fails a guaranteed amount of two times minimum. This is causing unneeded stress, and client frustration. When the client gets mad, the techie gets even more upset. So all and all. If the problem isn't resolved today. I will be having Comcast come back out ASAP and sign me up for that pretty brand new 100mbit business line I've been dreaming of.

Thanks to those who took the time to read!,

Sincerely

Comments:

Knology GM

@knology.com

Service Issues

I'm very sorry to hear about your issues. My Name is Al McCambry the GM for Knology in Bay County. Please call me at 850-625-5037 at your earliest convience and we will take care of you. Thanks for being a Knology customer. Sincerely Al

BiGdUsTy

join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL

Megabit's and Megabytes oh my....

Network admin that doesn't know the difference between Megabits per second (Mbit/s) and Megabytes per second (MB/s).

Review by KneeCap See Profile

• Location: Panama City,Bay,FL
Good "Reliable, fast, no contract, USA-based tech support"
Bad "Price has increased $10 since my introductory package expired"
Overall "Great service and good price"

I have Phone and Internet service, no television. I originally started with 6Mbps service, and was automatically increased to 12Mbps at no additional cost when DOCSIS 3 was activated in my area. Speeds have always been as advertised.

Netflix and Hulu+ work fine over Knology internet. Phone service has never missed a beat.

I've had only one internet outage over the last two years, and it affected the whole neighborhood for a couple of days. After it was fixed, Knology sent a technician door-to-door to check that everyone was back online. (My old DSL service went out every time it rained. The phone company sent plenty of techs to work on it, but they were never able to fix it).

I've called tech support three or four times so I could register new modems. Each time I talked to a knowledgeable tech in the US and had to wait only a few seconds to get through.

Comments:

Review by Rollins See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "25/5 Internet provides ~28/7 consistently, faster than advertised"
Bad "Lacking in established HD channels such as USAHD"
Overall "Great value, great internet, excellent quality on HD that they have"

I live in Huntsville, AL and I recently switched from AT&T 6Mbps DSL to Knology's DOCSIS 3.0 service. So far I am very impressed. They did an excellent job on installation. They buried the cables out to my house within one week and did not mess up anything else (sprinklers, phone line, etc.) in the process. I use a HDHomerun in combination with Windows 7 MCE for my DVR service, and I get all the local channels in HD plus a few others and a variety of digital music channels without a cable card. I purposely did not have Voice installed as I do not care about it, and it just adds FCC/tax fees for something I do not use. However, the current deal is phone/internet/hd cable for $79/month for 12 months. I signed up for it subtract phone.

The excellent is the internet. I bought a Motorola 6120 cable modem and I get reliable 25+ Mbps downloads and ~7Mbps uploads. However, my subdivision just got Knology infrastructure installed so the node may not be loaded yet. As-is, I love it and really could not ask for better. I had Mediacom for a short span and it would disconnect randomly throughout the day. I could not stand that.

The tv is really good on the channels you get. All the channels come in clean and crisp. The HD channel quality looks as good as any Directv HD channels that I have seen. The real issue is the lack of HD channels. Especially the better ones like USAHD. Some would say SYFYHD, but I do not care as much on that one. All the locals come in perfectly.

Honestly, I think they will add the missing HD channels over time, and I would much rather have fast internet than a ton of satellite channels I will not watch anyway. The knology web site needs some serious work. It looks ok, but it is not up-to-date and it is not very helpful. No one wants to have to call customer service or get a call-back to answer simple questions these days. That and more HD channels are the only two areas I can see the need for improvement.

Over the years I have used Directv, DISH, Mediacom and AT&T for tv and/or internet, and Knology is providing the best experience I have had to date out of them all. However, I would rank internet speed as more than twice as important as the tv portion of the service.

04-21-2011 Update -----------------

I increased my tech support rating because I received my first bill and I had not received free installation like I was promised. Also, I was charged for modem rental even though I bought my own modem. The lady I spoke to took care of both issues immediately (assumed until I get my next bill), and I did not have to wait on hold to talk to someone.

Comments:

Review by Master Wolfe See Profile

• Location: Panama City Beach,Bay,FL
Good "So far so Good"
Bad "Some patience is required to get what you ordered working"
Overall "They appear to have finally gotten it together in my area."

Third time seems to be the charm. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but so far it's been great. The Docsis 3 upgrades appear to have fixed the internet issues. My speeds are great and fairly consistent, average about 25 down and 6 up with the Edge package.

It took a week to get my cableCARD in my Tivo working properly, and it still shows as unactivated, BUT I'm getting all the channels I'm supposed to. Don't understand that at all. And no one I spoke to on the phone seemed to understand what the problem was/is, but bottom line is, it works for now.

I had to call the next day to get someone to actually turn on all the phone features I'm supposed to be getting, but they seem to be working fine as well.

So, bottom line again, it takes some working with them and patience to get everything installed, but after two weeks, overall things have been good. Based on past expedience I'm waiting on the other shoe to drop, LOL, but so far I'm pleased.

****************************************************************************************

A year later, I moved, and decided to give them a try on the beach side. Got The Edge service, first week was good. By the second week, however, around 5-6 pm every day, speeds drop drastically. The speeds drop to 3 mb/s and below. Night before last, around 9 pm, I was barely above 1 mb/s. Once again, I am most likely going back to Comcast.

On the positive/negative side, after my install, the tech left me with signal levels of -11.8 on the down, and over 58 on the up. After posting on the knology board here, a very nice tech contacted me via email, and offered to come fix these issues. At a day agreed upon, he and a fellow Knology employee spent several hours in the rain fixing that issue. They were very helpful, and very professional.

But bottom line is, until they can get their system fixed, I still cannot recommend them.

=========================================================

The price sounds good, and if the connection were reliable it might be worth it. However, the connection was very unsteady. And, the price they advertise is base price for very basic service. All 'extras' are another $10 each. So by the time you get to the same level of service you had with the other guys, you end up paying MORE for a slower connection, fewer channels, and bad video.My 6 mb connection varied at all hours of the day from 512-ish speeds up, cable channels were pixelated and would occasionally drop. Their support staff was nice, but ultimately useless. When I called to cancel, the lady made snipey remarks about the other company, and that was not at all professional.

===================================

member for 5.5 years, 2703 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by barryry See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Good Value, Reliable Connection."
Bad "Not the Fastest Internet Available."
Overall "I am Pleased with Knology"

I am happy with Knology, Good Value, Free Usenet, Decent Internet Speed.

I have Phone, Internet, TV. and pay $89.00 plus taxes, I consider this an excellent Value!

Comments:

Review by charlene9 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Muscogee,GA
Good "speeds are almost always as rated 8/.5"
Bad "installer messed up my landlady's service (not Knology)"
Overall "best, most consistent speeds in my area"

Got off to a rough start from the installer--he disconnected my landlady's service (Charter) and hooked her up to Knology cable while stopping her phone. Second installer/repairman fixed my service and reconnected hers at no cost. In fact he was so helpful/knowledgeable that she changed to Knology. In the roughly 8 months I've had the service I've had a few outages due to stormy weather, but it came back up fairly quickly. My speeds are normally over 8/.5 Mb which is slower than my last provider. Cost has made up for that, being more than $20 less; $90 for digital cable (no dvr)/the edge/phone. Only 'complaint' I have is waiting for DCOSIS 3 and *more speed* to get here!

Comments:

Review by mcbigham See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "Fast, reliable."
Bad "None so far"
Overall "I think for the Huntsville AL area it is the best choice"

I have had Knology for about 6 months now.
We got the Internet and telephone service (all the feature and unlimited long distance) for $66 A month. The internet has only went down 2 times since I have had it and it was just for a few hours.

This is pretty normal:
»www.speedtest.net/result/216566406.png

Downloads are really fast, uploads are slow, but as advertised.

I had direcway/HughesNet for 3 years which was a nightmare.
It is nice to have a service now that works as advertised.

Follow up: I just had a problem with my dog chewing up my cable and telephone lines, I called knology and within 4 hours they had the cable and phone lines repaired and raised the box so the dog could not get to it. I think this is excellent customer service!!!

Follow up: I just upgraded to "The Edge" I love it. I have had nothing but good things to say about Knology since I have had them.
»www.speedtest.net/result/415203792.png

The 2nd picture is since I have upgraded to "The Edge"

UPDATE
01-21-2010
I had noticed for a few weeks that my speed would fluctuate, I found out they was upgrading the network in my area. I am very happy with the results.

»www.pingtest.net/result/8449991.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/690151889.png

Comments:

Review by MGoBlue70 See Profile

• Location: Augusta,Columbia,GA
Good "Easy to work with."
Overall "Really happy with service."

Knology was the only game in town in my apartment complex. Bundled basic cable tv and cable modem internet. Good price, haven't had any technical issues.