AEI Internet page on DSLReports

Review by cdn_dsl See Profile

Good "Stable, fast speed, equal to the maximum DSL would allow"
Bad "Customer service inept and reluctant. Rude service manager."
Overall "If you know what you are doing you'll enjoy stable connection for years (until problems start)"

·ELECTRONICBOX
AEI provides 2x dry DSL connections to my house thru Bell wiring.
They are load-balanced and put to a hard use: I work from home and use remote desktops, Citrix, Live meeting and conference calls over VOIP all day long - that tells you that my requirements are higher than occasional browsing of d/l files.

They had a hard time accommodating a change to the original order which was placed about 1 month ahead of connection and it took me a dozen phone calls to get them change the dates as I required - no one would call me back and there is absolutely no, zero, response to the emails.

Once the connections were installed, it took another dozen of phone calls to get PPPoE user names, passwords and their DNS servers and fixed IP addresses that were ordered. They would not bother informing me ahead of time.

Once that was received, the service has been solid for months.
The connection quality is excellent 99% of the time, here's the speed and ping tests as a proof:
»www.speedtest.net/result/1404851340.png
»www.pingtest.net/result/44278888.png
Low 17ms pings and 1ms jitter is whole lot better than I was getting from other providers.

Bottom line: solid competent provider with lousy customer service (which, on the positive side, I rarely need to have contact with).

Update:

Love affair with AEI is over. A problem with packet loss started 1 1/2 months ago, as happened previously when I was with other ISPs. In the past they fixed that by sending a ticket to Bell, who 3 times already found a problem in the demarcation box and replaced a device. This time packet loss was significant and quickly getting worse and worse: within 1 month it progressed from fluctuating between 0 and 20% to between 35 and 95%. However AEI reaction was surprising: they emailed me back that they would create a ticket with Bell. They did not offer to diagnose anything and I was under assumption that they did their own diagnostics w/o me being involved and came to a conclusion that ticket was necessary.

A week passed and I followed up with another email. No response.
Followed up next day. No response.
5 times I followed up and did not hear back from them.
Finally I called their office and was told by a techie that they never heard from me, did not have any emails from me, did not send me any emails and that techie had to talk to his manager. Don't know why and about what... But he promised to call me back and perform diagnostics.

Having not heard from him till the end of the day, I called again next morning and spoke to a person, who turned out to be tech support manager Stephan.
As soon as I identified myself, his tone changed to stern and without me asking any questions he quickly repeated word-to-word what the techie told me the day before: they do not have any information about the issue, I never emailed them and they never replied.

I figured that they made a decision make it look like there was no issue and there was nothing I could do, so I steered conversation towards resolving the issue instead of arguing about the emails. But it was not so easy. He yelled at me: What do you want? I had to explain once again that there was huge packet loss on 1 of the 2 dry loops I was using and I wanted them to create a ticket as they suggested. He said they never suggested anything and I told him that I had their email in my inbox. To that he said 'I don't think so. I don't know who could send you an email. No one here sent you any emails' as if I was lying (and as if it was somehow of paramount importance whether they emailed me or not).

In the same stern tone of his voice he barked that he was creating a ticket and that I will be billed $100 if the problem was not found on Bell line. The ticket would be worked on within 24-48 hours. That was Thursday morning.

After some verbal struggle I obtained his supervisor's name (Joel) and email address and next day followed up with him. He did not address any of the points and emailed me a 1-liner about how they were going to add circuits next month and I should see an improvement.

Two Bell people in two vans showed up on next Tuesday night (2x times 48 business hours), spent a couple of minutes at the Bell box and told me that everything was fine and I was getting very good connection. They looked stumped for a bit, then looked at one another, shook their heads and said there was no packet loss. They said that the problem was inside the house and they were not responsible for that.

At this point I decided to let AEI go and switch to another provider, as
1) I was only getting 6000/800 when I could get 7000/1000 for the same money
2) My pings were no longer in 17-18 ms and rather 36 ms on the line which had packet loss and whooping 65 ms on the 'good' line. That was a VoIP killer and I could not stand it anymore.
3) Stephan's rudeness and obvious approval of that by Joel were not encouraging.

I have already cancelled 2 of my 3 dry loops and will disconnect the remaining one once those connected by the new provider.

Hoping that helps.

Comments:

aniljain44

@cgocable.net

Customer Service

I have been with AEI/Contact for under 2 months. In my 45 years of dealing with phone companies, I have never encountered worse Customer Service.

They sold me a modem/router. The service did not work from day 1. The modem/router was replaced once. After calling technical support about 20 times, I canceled the service. The admin/sales department give pat answers and hang up after a while. They ask to deal with them through email. None of my 4-5 emails were answered. I have no invoice for the charges made to my credit card.

There are plenty of reasons for not going with company like AEI/Contact!

Review by Fatbadcat See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "cheap and unlimited"
Bad "It takes a month or longer to get setup. They don't want to hear your complaints"
Overall "DON'T GET AEI INTERNET!"

I have been a customer with AEI for 10years. I remember when I originally got hooked up with them it took a month to get things ironed out and they had horrible tech support. I recently applied for a free upgrade from their old 60 unlimited plan (6Mdown/640Kup) to their FTTN10 unlimited plan (10Mdown/1Mup) which now includes a free dry loop. What a nightmare! One screw up after another and it is still not functioning properly. I went for 2 weeks without any internet service switching my wet loop to a dry loop and had to wait home from 1pm till 9pm on two separate scheduled appointments and the technician never showed up for either appointment. It has been almost a month since I ordered the free upgrade.

The lady from administrations didn't want to hear my concerns and just wanted to schedule another appointment. She hung up when I tried to cancel the service. I am waiting for a callback from someone, before I can cancel.

I am sure it will be fine if it gets finally configured properly, but it is just not worth it; life is too short to save a few bucks. I have ordered Roger's although it is more expensive, I won't have to endure AEI and it is 25Mdownload unlimited.

Comments:

drmCA

@woodbridgegroup.com

Having exact same issue

Called to get high packet loss resolved and was met with reluctant service rep and outright rude and hostile service manager Stephan who denied receiving dozens of emails from me and also denied sending me an email promising to open a ticket with Bell a week ago.
Service manager used verbiage such as 'I am not going to waste any more time on this' and 'I don't think so' when I pointed out that I have their email in my inbox.
This is after I was their customer for 4 years and had total of 3 dry DSL lines with fixed IP on 2 of them, not just one.

Review by lussejean See Profile

• Location: H2S IL1
Good "Not much"
Bad "Customer service, technical support, speed, payment options"
Overall "DO NOT SIGN UP WITH AEI!"

We were with aei for over a year. No one helped us set up the connection and when we called them they basically said it wasn't their problem. I managed to set it up myself although we were always receiving messages about an ip conflict and would have to reset the modem once or twice a day. Each time we called them for help they insisted it wasn't their problem. Apart from resetting the modem continuously the service was adequate, the speeds were sometimes good although not so much during peak periods. Then about 2 months ago my roommate moved away so we transferred the payments over to my name and visa debit card. First the card information that they took over the phone was entered incorrectly, so I had to call them to rectify it (after they had already charged my old roommates card!). Then about two weeks later our internet was cut without warning. I figured it was another ip conflict issue and spent 2 hours trying to reconfigure the modem, only to find out finally it was a billing issue because they don't accept visa debit (although no one bothered to call me to let me know this, and they were happy to take the card details before). I asked them what other payment options I had and they told me the only option was to go into their office downtown and pay in cash, which is obviously ludicrous given that they are an internet company and yet somehow can't find a way to set up online payments! At that point I told them I would have to find another internet company, after speaking to three different people in customer service about the issue. Then when I called back the next day to formally cancel the service I was suddenly informed (for the first time) that we had exceeded our usage the previous month (which had never happened before) and now had an outstanding balance of almost $80, which again I could only pay by going down into the office and handing them cash. The girl also promised to send me an invoice via email for these outstanding charges, although I am yet to receive this email. Be warned, DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY!

Comments:

Review by Sparky See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Always reliable, fast, cheap, unlimited!"
Bad "Bare bones tech supoort"
Overall "Great service fo the money!"

If you don't understand a thing about PCs and the internet AEI probably isn't for you. For anyone beyond beginners knowledge of PCs, LANs, etc. AEI is probably the best value for the buck. I've been with them 10 years now, no data caps, $30 for 5MBPS down and 1MBPS up. Only time I've seen outages is when Bell has screwed up something locally. Forget Bell, Rogers, etc. unless you like wasting money for no reason, in which case just go with AEI and paypal the rest to me as a reward!

Comments:

Review by walkerp See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "consistent signal over time, no caps"
Overall "reliable service with no b.s."

I've been with AEI for over 5 years now here in Montreal. I'm paying $35 a month with no contract and get around 4.3 Mbps download 0.61 Mbps upload on a DSL. I suspect that Bell is messing with the line from time to time, as I get weird fluctuations with torrents. Otherwise, for standard internet use, including streaming HD sports (I get the NBA League Pass), and doing some videoconferencing with the family, it is fast enough.

I've never had any technical issues, so have never had to deal with tech support. I've lost the connection a couple of times only over that 5 years and each time it simply necessitated a reboot of the modem.

I find their website to be clunky and uninviting, so I can understand why a potentially new client might be hesitant. For my own experience, I've had nothing but steady, reliable service since I first signed up.

Comments:

Grovenoar

@teksavvy.com

Not much has changed since this comment

»THE WORST PROVIDER IN THE WORLD

• Location: j3l3w
Good "Solid service"
Bad "Support iffy"
Overall "Good value"

I was the 7'th person to sign up with AEI. probably around 18 yrs ago and
did(for free) some OS/2 support for them. I was initially dialup.
Yes, the support is iffy, but if one uses both email(if you're still up)
and phone you will eventually get an answer. I've had 4 problems, all
resolved fairly quickly. 3 were Bell and the 4'th was an adsl modem went
bad. That took a while, had to take it into town for testing but
that let me visit the site and meet the people including the owners. I've
spoken to the present people in charge this week and they are now
offering ADSL2+ service where available from Bell but with unlimited
transfers and they are also hiring both support and administrative
personnel. Just can't wait for ADSL2+ to arrive in my location, I've seen
combined modem/wireless routers for as low as 35 on EBay recently.

(review was emailed from domain aei.ca)

Comments:

Fingle

@teksavvy.com

Re: the worst provider in the world

»THE WORST PROVIDER IN THE WORLD

Not much has changed since.

pg

@aei.ca

the worst ISP ever

I WAS getting only 300kbs download speed. When I called andrequested service customer service. Rep was really rude. They told me I'll be charged if they open a ticket with Bell to investigate problem

Review by blaze_125 See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "stable, reliable, no caps"
Bad "none"
Overall "Best value for your money"

I just spend a chunk of time reading other people's review about AEI and I'm surprised not more people are satisfied. I've been with that provider for 10 years now and I have no complaint what so ever. The service is stable, and reliable.

My location allows me to get the full speeds they advertise.

5mb down for 35$ including taxes and NO CAP is nothing to turn away from.
Their technical/billing support isn't "as fancy" as Bell, but they get things done.

I had to communicate with their reps a big total of 2 times.
Once because I had forgotten my password, and once because I wanted to change my billing info.

I left a message on their voice-mail and got called back within 24hours.
I didn't have to disconnect my network and stand on my head to get my new password as opposed to Bell.

All in all... AEI all the way.

Comments:

Review by deizblood7 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Price / Unlimited Bandwith / 6 megs"

I have AEI since 2006 no problem till now.
For the price of 29.95$ i got nearly unlimited bandwith i reach sometimes 250gigs nothing.

Comments:

Review by firefox360 See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Good prices, reliable & stable connection."
Bad "Non-existant customer service."
Overall "Good if you're not the type to complain or ask for help, otherwise look elsewhere."

I am on the residential DSL service, and have been with AEI for many years now. The actual DSL service itself is decent and reliable, however AEI's customer service is extremely poor. Don't expect any help if you're looking for email support; phone support is below average if you manage to reach them, otherwise you can leave voice mail messages to your hearts content.

I recently inquired about having my profile boosted up after seeing that there is potential for it to be higher (I'm currently stuck on the 1.5Mbps profile). After sending off an email, I received a reply a while later after a week or so, telling me that they'll "look into it", and that was that. There has been no changes thus far, and no further reply from them.

There are much better alternatives out there that are either the same price or cheaper.

Comments:

Review by wingman84 See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "No caps, reliable and fast service."
Bad "Hard to complain about something that always works and costs next to nothing!"
Overall "For the price you pay, you can't go wrong!"

Have been with AEI since Bell first introduced the dreaded DL cap back... whenever it was, 4-5 years ago. At first the connection was terrible, dropped all the time. Was due to all the new customers and their infrastructure not being up to snuff. They had that fixed within 6 months and I have not had a problem since.

Their prices are cheap for 5mb service. With upload speeds were a little higher, but for 30 bucks a month... really can you complain?

I would recommend without hesitation.