AEI Internet page on DSLReports

Review by DeathsAngel2 See Profile

Good "Low cost, no download or upload limits, good download/upload speed"
Bad "Tech support doesn't often help. Connection issues."
Overall "Good ISP for the price, be ready to have some connection issues though."

AEI (www.aei.ca) is a good ISP compagny that gives a low cost dsl internet connection. However, I heard a lot of people that have experienced issues with this compagny and I can agree with them that the tech supports doesn't help much.

They often say the problem is on our side, even before checking on their own and I had to have to make an offficial complaint to the compagny to make them realize that they had an issue....

I would recommand this ISP for normal internet users, but I don't recommend it for gamers because the disconnection and package lost can get very frustrating while you are playing online.

Comments:

Review by SJ56 See Profile

• Location: G1G
Good "Good offer/price ratio"
Bad "Technical assistance is sometime slow"
Overall "Money well spent"

I've been with AEI since 2002.
Transition from previous provider when without any interruption.
Availability is good; 99.94% in the last year.
Speed is excellent; maximum allowed (I'm only 300 meters from CO!)
Mooved last year (2006). Now get 4 Meg
Bottom line, if you want a no frill service and don't have major technical problems;
it's a very nice deal.

member for 11.8 years, 1975 visits, last login: 4.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by karennewton See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "supposed to be cheaper"
Bad "haven't been connected"
Overall "look around before signing up here"

Comments:

Review by bytecrunch See Profile

• Location: Lasalle,QC
Good "Speed 5056/800"
Bad "Disconnections, bad support"
Overall "80 percent service"

I have high speed internet service paying 29.95$ plus 2 dollars for an extra email account. Basic high speed is supposed to be 3 Mb sec. Their ultra connection is up to 4 Mb sec for 49.99$. Bell Canada capped me to 5Mb sec but I'm only paying for 3 Mb sec.

After sales service is an horror. Their opening hours sucks. No evening support.
You have to connect in bridge mode only so they can provide you a little help.

If you set your modem to connect via PPPoE you're on you own.
Mail server is fast and provide 20 Megs of storage
Bandwith permits 20 gigs in and 20 gigs out per month.
Plenty enough for me. I rarely go beyond 4 gigs.

I used their service when I was living in Montreal Quebec and hat a lot of trouble
with lots of disconnection because I was at the physical limit of the loop.
they had to cap me at about 2.5 Mb sec to limit transmission errors.

Now I live 20 kilometers from Montreal and I have a better connection. I'm about 1.5 kilometer from my CO.

Comments:

Review by En Enfer See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Cheap alternative ISP"
Bad "Call manager system and service"
Overall "so-so"

First of all, AEI can be a good ISP when everything is fine, up and running (normal conditions).

AEI doesn't provide DSL-Lite, so if you're away from CO and can only get 512kbps, you'll pay full price anyway. AEI doesn't provide Dry-Loop service or login only either.

Problem with AEI is all those stupid internal rules and the way clients gets treated.

- If your credit card is expired or overloaded and you don't contact billing department in time, you risk being suspended or disconnected, even if your balance is only 1 month of service.

- If you're in a special situation, like if you lost your job and can't pay until the end of the month, just too bad, you risk being cut off anyways. No human feelings for anyone.

- If spam/abuse is detected from your connection, you get suspended immediately, no phone calls. If you get re-activated today (the same day) and spam complains about yesterday gets received today or tomorrow, you'll get suspended again even if your computer is clean. Oh yeah, 3 strikes and you're out.

- If technical support tech needs to open/update tickets at Bell, he`ll need to write it down and give it to a supervisor, who will call Bell when he'll have time... As this method may save tech time to take more customer calls, a lot of infos are being neglected and the ticket may be open/updated only tomorrow.

- "We close at 9pm". That means, don't call at 8:58pm.

- Yes, there's a toll-free number, but if you're not calling from Montreal area, these are long-distance calls that the manager pays, and he wants to save money on this, which is why you get no more than 15 minutes of technical support. You will hear in the background that the tech gets pressure to "speed up the call" and threats from co-workers if it takes too long.

- Routers? Not supported. Unplug it then call back.

Conclusion, if you live nearby a CO, you don't have line problems, you have a clean credit card, you know enough about computers, you don't NEED full bandwidth all the time, and don't need (or minimal) technical help, AEI can be good for ya.

member for 11 years, 5008 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by badbrewin See Profile

• Location: Saint-Leonard,QC
Good "NONE"
Bad "Speed, customer service"
Overall "Pathetic"

I had been with AEI for 10 years, since the dialup days. Went with DSL about 2 years ago and the download speeds are good early in the morning, usually about 2.4mbps. As the day wears on, download speeds would drop drastically and the service was a slow as dialup in the evenings. Customer service is non existant, the automated system you dial into seems purposely made to infuriate callers into simply hanging up.

Been with Teksavvy for 2 months now and couldn't be happier. Download speeds are 3.4mbps in the morning and 3.4mbps in the evening. Rock solid and superb customer service...you actually get to speak to someone by the 2nd ring. Any maintenance that is done gives you a 48 hour heads up, unlike AEI who would simply pull the plug without warning.

Comments:

Review by BreYers3 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "There is? Speed maybe..."
Bad "Tech support and frequent disconnetion"
Overall "Go see somewhere else!"

I don't know what to say about AEI.ca... I had the service for a couple of months at the time and it was ok at first... But I remeber getting disconnected at least once a day... They had also som issue with their athentification server...

I had the service for a months before starting working for them as a tech support and I have to say its was not good at all... I have nightmare thinking of the voice messages left by user because there was not enough tech available to answer them... and not enough with real skill of thech support...

I quit after a month because this company was a mess at the time. That's two years ago, so I can say for now...

• Location: l4p3r
Good "Low Cost"
Bad "Customer Service"
Overall "This firm has no customer service skills at all, nor are do they have any regard for customers"

Just a note to warn anyone using AEI, that if they feel you are doing
something wrong, they will terminate your account without notice. During
the weekend, the shut down my account for what they say was a high
number of email transactions, around 6,000 or so. Other than that they
have failed to provide any further details, and when they asked if I was
running a mail server the answer was no as I do not use anything other
than their mail server for personal email.

The sad part of this whole issue is that I was the not aware of this,
and they could have at least called me to say, what up with your
computers at home, perhaps you should check to see if someone has hacked
into your system, but instead they simply cut the account, and provide
no details as to why other than a high volume of mail.

So, I guess my next step is to find another ISP, maybe Rogers has
cleaned up their act.

(review was emailed from domain toshiba.ca)

Comments:

Review by DrPleaser See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Great price, was good for a while."
Bad "Tech support is so-so, at the mercy of Bell's Lines."
Overall "I was happy with the service but now I'm probably moving to cable."

I was with bell until from 2000-2002 and I was happy with the service I wasn't happy about the price so I moved over to aei.net in 2002.

I was getting 1700/120 speeds and I was happy.

A couple of years later, bell bumped up the speeds to 3000/500 so I assumed I would also get these speeds too right? WRONG.

Turns out that the lines in my neighbourhood are bad and I'm at my speed maximum.

Not too happy about that, but okay.

But now, Bell has decided that my area suddenly cannot get that much anymore and I have been bumped down to 500/50.

And it seems that there's nothing I can do about this.

THANKS BELL.

Now I want speed, I'm forced to go to videotron.

member for 8.6 years, 191 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Oinktastic See Profile

• Location: Scarborough
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "$32.05/mth total. Good speed."
Bad "Frequent disconnects (for me), dependent on Bell"
Overall "Easy on your bank account if you don't mind the occasional flux"

·localphone.com
Well I just wrote a whole big rant/review, but due to me accidentally hitting a random key on my keyboard, it switched web pages and I lost it, so here's my replacement. Excuse the bulleted points, each one is a slightly different topic, but some are pretty similar anyway. I have had AEI high-speed residential ADSL service for a number of years in Toronto (Scarborough) Ontario, Canada.

- Install went smoothly, received package in less than a week, PPPoE software installed without a problem and connected without a problem.

- System allows two dynamic IP addresses (one for VoIP perhaps?... not quite sure how that works) to be assigned to the household at once (through a single modem). To have more (than two) computers using the net at once, Internet Connection Sharing and/or a router is required. My Linksys WRT54G did ok, but created extra problems because of the router freezing (with bit torrent/downloading). Also for every actual loss of signal by the modem, the router disconnects several times until it is pleased with the connection. Currently I am using WindowsXP PPPoE connection manager, as well as AEI’s PPPoE software for my WindowsME/98 computers. For every computer after the second connected, I use Internet Connection Sharing from my WindoesXP computer. This adds some lag, but it’s a bit of a temporary setup anyway. Quick note, AEI does not support routers for residential connections, so you’re on your own there.

- Expensive $300 Daewoo DW-8050E modem seems to overheat, or doesn't hold signal for whatever reason. One tech. support accused the modem calling it "old" or "outdated", which offended me since I purchased it from them for a high price considering the alternatives. They assured me at the time of purchase that it would be "ready for the future" when they upgraded their service. It can theoretically support 8Mbps (down)/800Kbps (up) or something of the like, which I have never needed since the most they offer is 4Mbps, though I only have 3Mbps.

- Connection has never been stable in the sense that it disconnects many many times a day. The speed however has remained relatively stable (when it’s not zero). It's been at least 80% of the advertised speeds, when the signal is present. The original advertised speed was 1.7Mbps (down) / 128Kbps (up) or 256Kbps (up) I don’t remember. After a year or two it was upgraded without notice to 3Mbps/600Kbps, which we didn’t mind.

- Any problems with the physical phone line are hard to deal with since Bell owns them and refuses to do anything about them because Bell doesn't support the ADSL. They will only do something if your actual phone service is disrupted. Even after two Bell technicians said the line had to be replaced, they randomly left without a trace and we couldn't get another tech. to give the same diagnosis. Finally, after getting the line replaced and moved due to our neighbours complaining about its placement over their yard, Bell put in a poor quality line which set us back to an older pattern of disconnecting. It's strange (but makes sense that)... depending on what factors we change, we get different patterns of disconnects, but have yet to have less than about 5-10 per day. The connection has remained unstable even after years of troubleshooting. I'm not an electrician, but I do a fair amount of fiddling/tinkering and I know that the problems aren't all on my end. Occasionally AEI does admit to having servers down.

- We have stuck with this provider because stability hasn't been a big issue in the past. The main usage of this connection has been surfing, e-mail and the occasional video or audio stream/download. Only recently have we tried gaming and downloading larger files, and these activities are basically impossible with disconnects such as we are experiencing.

- One thing that must be mentioned however, is that AEI's e-mail service has been rock solid. Not once have I experienced a problem with the mail server. Several e-mail addresses are available and are accessed through Outlook express or a similar e-mail program. Also, very recently, a browser-based webmail page has been added to the site, so one can access their account from any computer with an Internet connection. I haven’t tried any of the newsgroups, so I cannot comment about that. There is a nifty little tool on the website though where you can check your usage statistics so far for the current month and for last month (updated daily): hours logged, gigs up/down and number of logins. This is one of the ways I kept track of disconnections since I could just check “number of logins” everyday.

- Tech support have been polite to me and seem to do some work behind the scenes, but haven't been able to cure my ails completely even after dozens upon dozens of calls. Occasionally I become frustrated when I call several times and I have to re-explain my problem to every new techie I get a hold of, but I suppose this is normal in a company. The average wait time is about 5-10 minutes on hold per call. This time has increased and decreased over the years. Sometimes it takes awhile because everyone is calling about a server down.

- I will give one last effort to cure my disconnecting problems with a new modem and maybe I'll bother Bell a bit more to see what they can do with the line and signal strength. Incidentally, recently Bell cut our speed back down to around 1.5Mbps to try to help with the disconnecting. I guess that means we’re using a different frequency on the line. The disconnecting pattern has changed, but it is by no means much of an improvement.

Overall I would say there were some good moments (always decent speed), but the amount of disconnections made it quite undesirable. I believe if we lived in a different location we may not have experienced the same problems, but as it is, our experience has been a bit frustrating.

(Edited) Looking back...

I have to admit, after writing this review, I can't say I actually bothered to do anything more about the service, I switched to 3webXS Cable Gold which has been serving me well for a month now. I just felt I had to completely eliminate my phoneline as a medium for the internet, and boy am I glad I did so. I believe that is just the truth of my situation. Happy New Years.