AEI Internet page on DSLReports

Review by smallj53 See Profile

• Location: Niagara Falls,ON

Comments:

Review by DeathsAngel2 See Profile

Good "Low cost, no download or upload limits, good download/upload speed"
Bad "Tech support doesn't often help. Connection issues."
Overall "Good ISP for the price, be ready to have some connection issues though."

AEI (www.aei.ca) is a good ISP compagny that gives a low cost dsl internet connection. However, I heard a lot of people that have experienced issues with this compagny and I can agree with them that the tech supports doesn't help much.

They often say the problem is on our side, even before checking on their own and I had to have to make an offficial complaint to the compagny to make them realize that they had an issue....

I would recommand this ISP for normal internet users, but I don't recommend it for gamers because the disconnection and package lost can get very frustrating while you are playing online.

Comments:

Review by SJ56 See Profile

• Location: G1G
Good "Good offer/price ratio"
Bad "Technical assistance is sometime slow"
Overall "Money well spent"

I've been with AEI since 2002.
Transition from previous provider when without any interruption.
Availability is good; 99.94% in the last year.
Speed is excellent; maximum allowed (I'm only 300 meters from CO!)
Mooved last year (2006). Now get 4 Meg
Bottom line, if you want a no frill service and don't have major technical problems;
it's a very nice deal.

member for 12.2 years, 1975 visits, last login: 5.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by karennewton See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "supposed to be cheaper"
Bad "haven't been connected"
Overall "look around before signing up here"

Comments:

Review by bytecrunch See Profile

• Location: Lasalle,QC
Good "Speed 5056/800"
Bad "Disconnections, bad support"
Overall "80 percent service"

I have high speed internet service paying 29.95$ plus 2 dollars for an extra email account. Basic high speed is supposed to be 3 Mb sec. Their ultra connection is up to 4 Mb sec for 49.99$. Bell Canada capped me to 5Mb sec but I'm only paying for 3 Mb sec.

After sales service is an horror. Their opening hours sucks. No evening support.
You have to connect in bridge mode only so they can provide you a little help.

If you set your modem to connect via PPPoE you're on you own.
Mail server is fast and provide 20 Megs of storage
Bandwith permits 20 gigs in and 20 gigs out per month.
Plenty enough for me. I rarely go beyond 4 gigs.

I used their service when I was living in Montreal Quebec and hat a lot of trouble
with lots of disconnection because I was at the physical limit of the loop.
they had to cap me at about 2.5 Mb sec to limit transmission errors.

Now I live 20 kilometers from Montreal and I have a better connection. I'm about 1.5 kilometer from my CO.

Comments:

Review by En Enfer See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Cheap alternative ISP"
Bad "Call manager system and service"
Overall "so-so"

First of all, AEI can be a good ISP when everything is fine, up and running (normal conditions).

AEI doesn't provide DSL-Lite, so if you're away from CO and can only get 512kbps, you'll pay full price anyway. AEI doesn't provide Dry-Loop service or login only either.

Problem with AEI is all those stupid internal rules and the way clients gets treated.

- If your credit card is expired or overloaded and you don't contact billing department in time, you risk being suspended or disconnected, even if your balance is only 1 month of service.

- If you're in a special situation, like if you lost your job and can't pay until the end of the month, just too bad, you risk being cut off anyways. No human feelings for anyone.

- If spam/abuse is detected from your connection, you get suspended immediately, no phone calls. If you get re-activated today (the same day) and spam complains about yesterday gets received today or tomorrow, you'll get suspended again even if your computer is clean. Oh yeah, 3 strikes and you're out.

- If technical support tech needs to open/update tickets at Bell, he`ll need to write it down and give it to a supervisor, who will call Bell when he'll have time... As this method may save tech time to take more customer calls, a lot of infos are being neglected and the ticket may be open/updated only tomorrow.

- "We close at 9pm". That means, don't call at 8:58pm.

- Yes, there's a toll-free number, but if you're not calling from Montreal area, these are long-distance calls that the manager pays, and he wants to save money on this, which is why you get no more than 15 minutes of technical support. You will hear in the background that the tech gets pressure to "speed up the call" and threats from co-workers if it takes too long.

- Routers? Not supported. Unplug it then call back.

Conclusion, if you live nearby a CO, you don't have line problems, you have a clean credit card, you know enough about computers, you don't NEED full bandwidth all the time, and don't need (or minimal) technical help, AEI can be good for ya.

member for 11.5 years, 5206 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by badbrewin See Profile

• Location: Saint-Leonard,QC
Good "NONE"
Bad "Speed, customer service"
Overall "Pathetic"

I had been with AEI for 10 years, since the dialup days. Went with DSL about 2 years ago and the download speeds are good early in the morning, usually about 2.4mbps. As the day wears on, download speeds would drop drastically and the service was a slow as dialup in the evenings. Customer service is non existant, the automated system you dial into seems purposely made to infuriate callers into simply hanging up.

Been with Teksavvy for 2 months now and couldn't be happier. Download speeds are 3.4mbps in the morning and 3.4mbps in the evening. Rock solid and superb customer service...you actually get to speak to someone by the 2nd ring. Any maintenance that is done gives you a 48 hour heads up, unlike AEI who would simply pull the plug without warning.

Comments:

Review by BreYers3 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "There is? Speed maybe..."
Bad "Tech support and frequent disconnetion"
Overall "Go see somewhere else!"

I don't know what to say about AEI.ca... I had the service for a couple of months at the time and it was ok at first... But I remeber getting disconnected at least once a day... They had also som issue with their athentification server...

I had the service for a months before starting working for them as a tech support and I have to say its was not good at all... I have nightmare thinking of the voice messages left by user because there was not enough tech available to answer them... and not enough with real skill of thech support...

I quit after a month because this company was a mess at the time. That's two years ago, so I can say for now...

member for 8 years, 10 visits, last login: 1 year ago

• Location: l4p3r
Good "Low Cost"
Bad "Customer Service"
Overall "This firm has no customer service skills at all, nor are do they have any regard for customers"

Just a note to warn anyone using AEI, that if they feel you are doing
something wrong, they will terminate your account without notice. During
the weekend, the shut down my account for what they say was a high
number of email transactions, around 6,000 or so. Other than that they
have failed to provide any further details, and when they asked if I was
running a mail server the answer was no as I do not use anything other
than their mail server for personal email.

The sad part of this whole issue is that I was the not aware of this,
and they could have at least called me to say, what up with your
computers at home, perhaps you should check to see if someone has hacked
into your system, but instead they simply cut the account, and provide
no details as to why other than a high volume of mail.

So, I guess my next step is to find another ISP, maybe Rogers has
cleaned up their act.

(review was emailed from domain toshiba.ca)

Comments:

Review by DrPleaser See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Great price, was good for a while."
Bad "Tech support is so-so, at the mercy of Bell's Lines."
Overall "I was happy with the service but now I'm probably moving to cable."

I was with bell until from 2000-2002 and I was happy with the service I wasn't happy about the price so I moved over to aei.net in 2002.

I was getting 1700/120 speeds and I was happy.

A couple of years later, bell bumped up the speeds to 3000/500 so I assumed I would also get these speeds too right? WRONG.

Turns out that the lines in my neighbourhood are bad and I'm at my speed maximum.

Not too happy about that, but okay.

But now, Bell has decided that my area suddenly cannot get that much anymore and I have been bumped down to 500/50.

And it seems that there's nothing I can do about this.

THANKS BELL.

Now I want speed, I'm forced to go to videotron.