AEI Internet page on DSLReports

Review by fdoyon See Profile

• Location: Sherbrooke,QC
Good "Cheap, no caps."
Bad "Unreliable, worst tech support ever."
Overall "Not so bad when everything works fine."

I've had AEI high-speed 3.0 mbps internet for a little more than a week. I've also had it in the past few years, before I moved. Last fall (2004) was absolutely horrible. They did this server migration thing, which basically took the service down for at least a month. Then it worked fine for several months.

I was happy when the "ready" light appeared on my modem last friday. Everything worked fine and the download speed was decent. I went away for the weekend and when I got back on monday, everything was screwed up : 3k/sec download speed, frequent timeouts... I called AEI's tech support. As usual, they were rude and not helping at all. They said they'd look into it. On wednesday, I had no connection at all and the "ready" light on the modem started blinking again. I guess that's how they solve problems at AEI Internet. I called them again, asking about their obvious lack of progress. They said they'd call Bell and ask them to do some kind of line test. My connection briefly came back on thursday, still at abysmal speeds. AEI called me at the end of the day to ask me to reboot my modem. I did and I instantly lost my connection again.

I still have no connection as of today (saturday night). If nothing works by tomorrow night, I'll be asking them for complete refund.

Comments:

Review by carstunts See Profile

• Location: N7M-5J5
Good "Great ISP! No caps on upload or download. Decent tech support when available."
Bad "Can't run a server, no static IP offered for residential service, no caps (but you can't abuse the system!?)"
Overall "You get what you pay for. Very good ISP for the money."

Have had AEI Internet for a good 3 years or so. Their were ups and downs in service once and a while. It's wasn't too bad though. We had signed up for 1.7 mb / sec and then recently they up'd it to 3.0 Mb /sec. It is currently $29.95 with AEI Internet plus $20/$25 registration fee. I had to drop AEI and go to dialup internet (Porchlight, very good priced dialup, $9.95 each month on a 2 year contract, or $15.00 per month with out being on a 2 year contract) because my parents were separating. I have used the Porchlight newsgroups but took so long to gather newsgroups and to load all of the stuff. Porchlight had 10 or 20 mb of free webspace for a dialup account which I thought was quite reasonable. I had missed DSL a great deal since I was used to the fast speeds. We had signed back up with AEI and it took around 5 business days which was long enough. I have had very positive experiences with AEI and hope to have good continued service. A few disadvantages with AEI: AEI doesn't offer free webspace to their customers it costs you extra (how much, I don't know). "Apparently" you "can't" run a server (it's is apparently "not allowed" on a residential line with a dynamic ip) yet it's allowed if you go with the business package (forget that). Even though they say no caps (they say if you download excessively , they will consider you abusing the no caps). I have downloaded probably 3 GBs or something like that per month and AEI hasn't said a thing. So I really don't know where the true limit is. There is absolutely no documentation of any of this on there website which is a disappointment. I have never used the 50,000+ newsgroups that came with the AEI. There decent I suppose, but if you want much better newsgroups, I recommend paying for a service like Giganews or something. The tech support is decent and help you out with your problems and don't screw with you. Just don't count on being able to talk to tech support all of the time, as you will be hearing classical music for sometime. They also give you an option to leave a message and they will call you back, which they have for me (If you can't get through, I recommend taking this route). Overall, AEI is one of the best DSL providers I think for the money!

Comments:

Review by Zennith See Profile

• Location: Toronto
Good "None"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "I did not like them"

I had them for 1 month and service never worked, They took my money for that month including the $250 for the modem which was never sent to me and that was that.

Comments:

Review by futhark See Profile

• Location: Pointe-Aux-Trembles,QC
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Dirt cheap, pretty reliable."
Bad "Dependant on the Bell network."
Overall "Good enough for most people."

I am very suprised of many of the reviews I've read, especially those reviews praising Sympatico. I was on Sympatico from 1999 to 2003 and boy did they rip us off with their 55$ a month charge for a 1 megabit modem. First, they shipped me a defective modem when I subscribe. It took them weeks to deliver a new one. Does Sympatico really have a great support? Hell no! When you call Sympatico support, you always done something wrong in their eyes. You're using Linux? Too bad for you. You're a second class customer. They won't want to help even though you're a computer tech and the problem is not on your side. And more than once my Internet link went down because of their network, sometimes for many consecutive days, even a full week. The last time I called them for this kind of problem, the tech didn't want to listen to me and wanted to review my config all over. Again he pissed in his pants when he heard "Linux". Enough was enough. I switched providers. Like it's not enough, it took Sympatico WEEKS before cancelling my account. So you're not going to tell me Sympatico is great. They suck BIG TIME. They have poor support. They don't provide a better service than others and worse than all they had a prohibitive cost.

That said, I'm supposed to review AEI. Well they're not perfect. But for 35$ a month, I can forgive them a lot of things.

It's true the tech support isn't easy to reach, but they don't mess around like Sympatico when you have a problem. They have you try a few things, then "ok I'll have this line tested something's wrong". They don't go through a damn 100 steps procedure like Sympatico and ask for 10 signatures to have problems fixed.

The quality of the AEI network is largely dependant on Bell for the simple reason AEI does not have an independant network. That does make things a bit complicated, like having Bell fix physical issues. I recently had connectivity problems and Bell fixed the problem by lowering my speed from 3 mpbs to 1.5. They never justified why my service suddendly needed to be slowed down. And how long did it take Bell? 3 tech visits over a week. Boy I am pissed off! But do you think it would be any better with Sympatico? Never!

I was pretty happy with my connection before Bell cut my speed. Now I'm a little bitter but it's not AEI's fault.

I had not setup problems. Install was real easy. I'm very happy I could buy my own modem (another thing having the Bell technician pissing in their pants).

AEI is definitely ok. If you want the best Internet, ask dad to pay you the cable. Everyone I know has cable and wonder why I stick to DSL. It seems to me DSL technology isn't as reliable as cable.

Comments:

Review by smag See Profile

• Location: Laval
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Not unlimited, I got banned, poor customer support and relations"
Overall "PASS"

AEI SUCKS!!
They banned me without warning for transfering too much data. Apparently unlimited bandwidth means 30gigs up and 30gigs down...

member for 10.1 years, 571 visits, last login: 5.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by BeerBarrel See Profile

• Location: Pincourt,QC
Good "The price is low with no caps"
Bad "Poor tech support, poor sales support, never return emails , rude staff"
Overall "use only if no other service exists in your area"

I opted for AEI DSL at $29.95/month this summer and I was already a dial up customer of theirs.

On the AEI website I filled out all the information needed for high speed and submitted it to them.

After 1 week i phoned them because the service was still not activated.

The person at AEI knew nothing about my online request for high speed!!!??? It took another week of waiting before it was activated but I was not very pleased at this point.

AEI seems very disorganized and they need a few pointers in dealing with customers.The dsl service itself is not up to par which means to me they are overloaded and are not spending money to keep up their equipment which means service continue to be subpar.

Several times I have not been able to connect for reasons unknown. AEI is at the low end of the scale in my opinion and I will switch ISP's before long.

Can anyone provide a review of the service from Look?

Comments:

Review by bcheng81 See Profile

• Location: Verdun,QC
Good "No bandwith caps"
Bad "Slow/no pings // Slow, unreliable connection // Tech support is CRAP"
Overall "If you had to choose an ISP, shop elsewhere"

Just read my letter to their tech support department (since they never answer their phones anyway). You'll understand what is BAD SERVICE. Just notice the sarcasm in my tone and it's clear that it's been months and months of utter garbage I get from them.

==

Hello Mr. Technical Support Person,

I am in utter frustration of the quality of service you are providing me with at this moment. There are times that it would refuse to even authenticate, other times that it will authenticate slowly, and everytime I do get connected, the Internet is painfully slow, albeit, quasi-unusable. I frequently time out while uploading attachments to my e-mails, either to Yahoo mail, Gmail, or even your own SMTP servers. Your ping times are horribly slow, as I can barely play ANY online games without people kicking me out for lagging, and I even time out with lost packets when pinging common servers (such as yahoo.com or your own aei.ca). It seems that whenever my computer sends a request out, the response is somewhat lost, so my computer times out. Also, your telephone technical support department is a total load of garbage, as less than 10 agents sitting in an office is clearly not sufficient to meet your volume of customers (and I have sources telling me this as the absolute truth).

I am no idiot in computers, and I know for a fact that there are no problems from my end. I've power-cycled the modem several times (it's a Speedstream 5360), changed the modem for a different one, the Bell High-Speed Test Center called me and we ran several tests that indicated absolutely no physical problem with my line. Needless to say, as a seasoned technician, I've done the physical setup correctly with all phones filtered and the modem connected to the wall jack using a 6ft phone cord (a good quality one that I crimped myself with Gauge 22 solid copper core wire). The connection to the Sympatico test login (test@test) is very fast and smooth, and the pings to the default gateway bounce back with less that 1ms. But when connected to your AEI servers, my pings to the default gateway reach approximately 40ms. Even worse, pings to yahoo.com yielded 135ms. Both the Bell technician and me agree that the problem is on your end, and lowering my 2.5Mbps profile to 1.5Mbps is NOT going to solve the problem, so if I ever find out you've lowered my profile, I will personally come to your offices to make you understand in a more direct manner that "I AM NOT STUPID". I spoke to one of your agents there and was informed that you are upgrading your servers. But it doesn't explain to me why the service has been in this horrible state since several months.

I urge you to fix this problem ASAP, as I am at the edge of my patience. I work for a competing ISP which I will not name, and I can assure you that the ONLY factor that is keeping me from using my corporate discount for our DSL service is bandwith caps. I've been a very satisfied AEI customer in the past, as the switch from Sympatico to AEI was incredibly smooth and hassle-free. But nowadays, I only pray for the day my employer will remove the caps so I can switch over to even lower cost service that ACTUALLY WORKS.

Yours truly,

- (MY NAME)

Comments:

Review by meyer_lanski See Profile

• Location: h7w7l9
Good "NONE"
Bad "EXTREMELY slow, NO support, POOR customer service"
Overall "DO NOT EVEN THINK OF AEI as your ISP"

My Order was for High Speed at $29.99 per month with AEI.ca
Oder/Install: Order was fine, I installed everything myself

I don't even know where to begin! I had their service for 4 days now and I already can't stand them!

In short, here is my experience with them:
First day of service I found I was going just as fast as a 56 K modem (literally). I called tech support and NO one answered. Left a message and no answer. It took me 3 days to finally speak to the tech (this entire time speeds remained as slow as 56k).
I was told "Servers don't have enough bandwidth to go around..... Bell is doing updates on their servers because number of the large number of new clients. I was probably re routed to other temporary servers that were very busy and the bandwidth is spliced into different people and places."

The tech solution was" wait a month and call us back at the end of September or October if you are still having this problem".
He offered no other solution! Not even the basic things such as unplug all the phones in your house and try again, or do your phones have filters.. NOTHING of that sort just "call back in a month if the problem persists"!
He also mentioned he would put a note in my account saying that my speed is slow and that I called him.

I called Accounting to demand a refund and cancel my account that same day. She said no refund could be given and as for the cancellation I had to send it through email only. She also mentioned the only way to get a refund was if there was a note from tech in my file, which she said no note was in my file.

I asked to speak to her manager and guess where she transferred me, back to tech. I called her back immediately after and no one answered (what a coincidence!).

The next day I called again and demanded to cancel, she said I had to do it by email and when I said I did already yesterday she said she did not receive anything. She therefore gave me a fax number to send it to.

I tried sending it through fax and guess what, she did not give me the right number!
I called her back and said it wasn’t the right number and she said it’s impossible that is the number.

Finally I asked her managers ext. number because I had enough of these games and she gave it to me and HUNG UP IN MY FACE!

Here is a log of what happened within the four days of service I had with them:
September 13, problem no high speed - tried to contact tech unable
September 14, problem no high speed - tried to contact tech unable
September 15, problem no high speed - tried to contact tech got explanation above
September 15, problem no high speed - Called to cancel and get refund, lady was giving me trouble asked to speak to her manager and she transferred me to tech
September 15, sent cancellation letter demanding cancellation and refund did not get any response
September 16, called and said they received no email, said wanted to cancel they said couldn't over phone have to send a fax or email would not give me a cancellation number
September 16, gave me wrong fax number called back said it was correct number asked for managers fax number and she hung up on me
September 16,sent fax
September 16, tried calling manager and no answer

THIS COMPANY LITERALLY SCAMS PEOPLE. THATS PROBABLY WHY THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT CHARGE A REGISTRATION FEE OF 25 DOLLARS, BECAUSE THEY KNOW MANY WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYING FOR HIGH SPEED WHEN IN FACT THE SPEED IS AS SLOW AS A 56K.

THEY OFFER NO SUPPORT WHAT SO EVER AND HAVE EXTREMELY POOR SERVICE.

Note: There seems to only be 2 people that work in the office. During this entire time, every time I spoke to someone it was always the same two people!

NEVER EVER CONSIDER THIS COMPANY FOR ANY SERVICE THEY OFFER. I PROMISE YOU WILL REGRET IT AND YOU WILL NOT BE GETTING WHAT YOU PAYED FOR.

Comments:

Review by GirgleMirt See Profile

• Location: Saint-Laurent,QC
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "You can load webpages and stuff... >>>when it works<<<"
Bad "Unreliable connection, no tech support and recently port throttling"
Overall "Stay away from them. they suck."

Some call them Awfully Erratic Internet. They are one of the worst ISP's you can get!

Well lets put things in context. I was with Sympatico for about 2 years, until they increased the price of their service AND added download and upload caps of 5 gigs. In those two years, I think I've had connection problems maybe 2 times.. each lasted at most a day... But I needed more bandwitdh than the 5 gigs they were offering, and their Ultra High-Speed was too expensive.

So I decided to join AEI, I spent 150$ on a new adsl modem, and ordered their 3.5mbit service. They had a 25$ registration fee, and I bought 25$ worth of phone filters from them.

So I registered in the beginning of september and they told me that the service would start on the 19th. On the 18th, I received the phone filters and a letter, telling me that the service started on the 15th.. So already I had lost 3 days of internet.. No big deal, I thought.. I still had the Sympatico account until the 27th. So all happy I connect with AEI, and to my horror, speeds are comparable to a 33.6k modem................. HORRIBLE speeds, a hundred times slower than Sympatico. I had to continue using Sympatico for the next week since AEI was unusable (busted my 5/5 limits because of that).

Anyway, to make a long story short, they have NO tech support... You have a problem, you leave a message on their support answering machine, and they *might* call you back, 2-3 days later...........

The only way you can talk to a human being is if you call the sales department. So I did, the salesrep told me that they were having some problems, but they were working on it, and that they should be resolved shortly. IT TOOK MORE THAN A MONTH AND A HALF BEFORE THEY WERE FIXED... During that time, I received ONE email from AEI saying that they were experiencing difficulties, and that was after 3 weeks of unusable internet. During all this time, salesrep kept repeating the same thing: We're working on it, should be fixed soon. In the meanwhile, you were stuck with a connection that consistantly disconnected, and wasn't faster than a 56k modem... And if you are a gamer and wanted to play online, forget it, pings were 200-300+.. at 49$ its VERY expensive.. But to be fair to them they credited me like 25$ for all the time the connection was unusable. BUT, only after around 3 months.. 25$ lol, considering its 57$/month and it was slow as hell for more than a month and a half..

And even today, take a look the canadian broadband forums: »Canadian Broadband
they are FILLED with people having problems with AEI.

So AEI still holds true to their nickname (Awfully Erratic Internet).
Here's an example with my current 3.5mbit (49.95$/month) connection: »/quality/nil/997449 (15% packet loss, all line quality tests failed)

»/speedtests/11···45538274 (13kBytes/sec download and 5kBytes/sec upload. It should be more than a hundred times faster....)

Its been like that for the last few days. As always tech support has been unreachable, and the people from sales are extremely rude when you call to ask them if they are aware of their problem, telling you to leave a message to the tech support, and hanging up in your face when you tell them that you've already left a message and they haven't called back: "keep your line free what if they're trying to call right now!!! *hangs up* ".

So in conclusion, I've had more problems with them in the last 6 months than I would have had with Sympatico in a life time.

2 years with Sympatico = 2 days with connection problems.
6 months with AEI = easily 60 days with connection problems. During these 6 months a friend of mine living in the same building has had not one single connection problem with Bell Sympatico......

I'm fed up with them. Time to look for another ISP.

Oh yeah, and recently a few AEI members have noticed that AEI has been port throttling (limiting speeds on certain ports used on file sharing software, like Kazaa, winMX, etc...). I emailed their tech support and about 80 hours later, they replied, saying were looking into it: In french, a very unprofessionnal message, full of mistakes: "J'ai transferrer l'information a mon superieur pour faire des verifications. Aussi tot qu'on a des informations on vais vous contactez", if you don't speak french, the equivalent in english would be something like: "I have transferd the information to my superier to make verificatons. As soon that we have informations we will went to contacted you". Its been more than 3 weeks and no change, no follow up from them. I'm not surprised one bit.

And from the forums, I thought it would be a good idea to add it here:

and I digged out a little gem I once received from AEI:

My email:

quote:
Bonjour,

J'aimerais savoir quels sont les ports pour lesquels vous limitez présentement la vitesse. (Port throttling).

Je suis abonné au service 3mbit, et depuis quelques temps mes vitesses de download passant par certains ports tel 1412 sont, tout simplement, minables.

Ex: Quand une application utilise le port 1412 et que j'essais de télécharger 10 fichiers de 10 autres utilisateurs différents, j'obtiens des vitesses telles 500 bytes/sec, 1kB/sec, 2kBytes/sec, etc..

Je redémarre l'application et continue les téléchargements (telecharge toujours des memes usagers), même chose.. vitesse totale = 6kB/sec.

Je change le port utilisé pour les transferts de 1412 a X et redémarre l'application, soudainement, les vitesses de téléchargement deviennent 50 fois plus rapide. de 500bytes/sec a 25kB/sec, de 1kBytes/sec a 76kBytes/sec, etc.. vitesses totale de 8 kBytes/sec saute a 250kBytes/sec

Il y a définitivement un probleme du coté de AEI. J'ai refait le test avec Bell Sympatico et le probleme ne survient pas.

Aussi, plusieurs tests en ligne indiquent aussi que la vitesse de certains ports est limitée.

ex: »speedguide.net:8117 indique que le RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) est 1 bit, ce qui me limiterait a 58.08 kbps (7.26 KBytes/s) @ 200ms.

J'ai deja contacté les ventes et ils m'ont répondu que AEI ne limitait pas les vitesses d'aucune façon. Par contre, tout semble indiquer le contraire.

J'aimerais bien rêgler ces problemes. Si possible me contacter au (514) 111-1111 apres 7h pm, ou répondre a cet email (***@aei.ca)

Merci bien,

quote: J'ai transferrer l'information a mon superieur pour faire des verifications. Aussi tot qu'on a des informations on vais vous contactez.

Merci,

*****
Support Technique AEI
AEI Technical Support
support@aei.ca

English trasnslation
quote: Hello, I would like to know which are the ports for which you limit speed at present. (Port throttling).
I am subscribed with the 3mbit service and for some time my speeds of download passing by certain ports such 1412 are, quite simply, pitiful. Ex: When an application uses the port 1412 and that I tests to download 10 files of 10 other different users, I obtain speeds such 500 bytes/sec, 1kB/sec, 2kBytes/sec, etc.

I start again the application and continues the remote loadings (telecharge always same users), same thing. total speed = 6kB/sec. I change the port used for the transfers of 1412 has X. start again the application, suddenly, speeds of remote loading become 50 times faster. of 500bytes/sec 25kB/sec has, of 1kBytes/sec has 76kBytes/sec, etc. speeds total of 8 kBytes/sec change has 250kBytes/sec There is definitively a problem of dimensioned AEI.

I remade the test with Bell Sympatico and the problem does not occur. Also, several tests on line also state that the speed of certain ports is limitee. ex: »speedguide.net:8117 indicates that the RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) is 1 bit, which would limit me has 58.08 kbps (7.26 KBytes/s) @ 200ms. I have already contacted the sales and they answered me that AEI did not limit speeds in any way. On the other hand, all seems to indicate the opposite. I would like regler these problems. If possible to contact me to (514) the 111-1111 after 7h pm, or to answer this email (* * * @aei.ca). Thanks
(that was auto-translated so is not the same quality as the original email)

Their reply, manually translated to illustrate the quality of their reply:
quote: I've transferd the information to my superier to make checks. As early as we have information we will be contacted you. Thank you, Thank you, **** Technical support AEI AEI Technical Support support@aei.ca

That was the end of the conversation, the only replied I ever got... Note: This genius of a man managed to make not one, not two, but SIX errors in his two sentences...

From the reply I got, its hard to imagine that the tech ever went thru highschool... Totally unprofessionnal... The bitch in sales wasn't more pleasant to deal with... (bitch as in: 2 a : a lewd or immoral woman b : a malicious, spiteful, or domineering woman -- sometimes used as a generalized term of abuse or 3 : something that is highly objectionable or unpleasant). To me anyone working with the public should be held to a certain standard, but with AEI it seems no such standards exist.

They are one of the worst ISP you could ever get

member for 12.1 years, 749 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Dan97 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Cheap. No limits up/down. Improved tech support than before."
Bad "Shady or no responses to some questions, lag time to cancel..."
Overall "Good if you dont care about line quality or occasional outages. Good for download a zillion gigs of data always-on."

Switched from Sympatico to AEI when I lived downtown Montreal; then, I saved money and had no more crappy up/down limits. The speeds were lower than with Bell; AEI buys wholesale bandwidth from Bell anyways. I dont know why I should get lower speeds, but...

...when I moved out to Lasalle, I transferred my account but after soem wrangling with messed up connection (much lower speeds and connection issues) I was informed that I was on a maintenance line since I was "7 km from the switching station". I have no idea of Bell customers out here get the shaft like that or not, but the price was right and I toughed it out. I had to agree to a disclaimer on the speed or line quality due to the maintenance line, and being a cheapo family guy on a budget I did. Especially in stormy hot humid weather the line quality got really bad - up to 100% packet loss sometimes, the modem would sync up but no data could flow through. Speeds were tolerable.

Or AEI itself was down sometimes, although this has been less of a problem lately.

I have finally decided to switch to cable to try and get more value for the dollar. If you can get a good quality line with AEI, I recommend it, especially if you aren't a total newbie and can diagnose some things yourself. I toughed it out fro over a year on the maintenance line but now I gots to get the goods.

Oh yeah, and make sure to give them A WEEK notice bfore cancelling, They wont tell you about it when you sign up but if you call at the end of teh mont, say a day or two before the end of the billing period, they give some crappy answer about blahblah bell techs have to pull a card somewhere so you have to pay for the whole month.

For me, I need better.