AEI Internet page on DSLReports

Review by Zaglownik See Profile

• Location: Lasalle,QC
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Bas prix !!! Pas de limite de Download"
Bad "Support technique = répondeur"

Avant j'ettais avec sympatico haute vitesse. Quand Bell a mis des limites de download, j'ai cherché a changer de compagnie.
J'ai pris AEI, par l'entremise de radiocactif.ca. Il y avait un rabais de 5$. L'inscription coutais 25$ et il faut payer 29$ par mois. Par contre il faut avoir son propre modem, ou sa coute 10$ de plus par mois pour en louer un. Moi j'ai acheté le mien sur ebay.

Il y a pas de limites de download. c'est trés bien. LE probleme, c'est qu'il y a aucun suport technique. Il y en a un, mais c'est un repondeur, il faut laisser un message et attendre qu'ils nous rapelles. Mais ils rapellent pas souvent...
Quand ils ont des problemes de fiabilitées, ils ont tendance a blâmer Bell a chaque fois.

Mais je suis satisfait pour le montant que sa coute. J'ai pas d'argent alors je vais rester avec eux.

Comments:

Review by arundip See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Service is good when it is working properly, Sweet price."
Bad "Pitiful tech support, Random and Frequent connection problems."
Overall "You almost get what you pay for."

I ordered a 1.2mbps connection with AEI at $29.95 per month. As soon as I ordered, I found that I had to pay $20 extra as an installation fee . (This had not been mentioned to me previously).
Installation / Setup went fine. - For 2 months, my connection was well. Speeds reached 960kilobits/sec download and 130 kbs upload.
My only complaint was the fact that ping/latency for online games was very bad..in excess of 80ms. (however, this may have been since I live far from the nearest CO).

Then problems started. I couldnt connect, and sometimes I could connect but couldnt surf (sites didnt load). These problems came and went for 5 months, and are still existent.
Worst of all, their tech support is HORRID. They have limited support, and you have to leave a message on their answering machine. Sometimes they wont ever call you back, even if youre having connection problems.Sometimes they call you back, but they have very limited knowledge and cannot help you. They give statements like: "Just wait it out", or "we cannot do anything but wait".
For months they have had so-called "router problems", and they wont admit that they are facing difficulties.

The only reason I'm remaining a customer is because of the low price.

member for 12.7 years, 388 visits, last login: 9.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by fringeplayer See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "AEI is the most economical DSL (1200kbps) in the long term"
Bad "Service has been unreliable lately"
Overall "Each time there is a problem they say that it is a fault with Bell Canada's part of the network"

I signed up for AEI Internet service and had first access on August 29, 2000. Tech service was very good back then. I paid $166.75 (includes 7% GST & 8% PST) for a Daewoo internal modem and $28.75 for registration fee. They sent the modem, modem software CD, internet software CD, and installation instructions by Purolator courier (shipping was included in the fee). The modem arrived on August 22, 2000 and connection was activated on August 29, 2000. The tech service was very good and I did not have to wait too long to talk to the tech for set up help. Delays in activation were because AEI had to coordinate connection with the central office which is Bell Canada's equipment. The first two years were very reliable with no service periods lasting for only a few hours and usually late at night, but then they had a problem in October 2002 that dragged on for weeks with slow internet service. At the end of February 2003 service was extremely poor or non existent (Feb 19 to 25) and since March 7 service has been very poor. I hope that they get it resolved soon.When it is working well I am getting about 960/95 speeds at 4:00AM. The speed drops to about 700 during busy hours (4:00 to 10:00 PM) I have the 1200 kbps DSL service with no specified limit on download. When I call them it is when there is a problem with their network and I never get through because of the flood of calls. A tech did call me back to explain the last problem after 2 days.I have old computer equipment (Pentium 200 Pro with Windows 95) and the service is PPPoE. My cost per month including taxes is $32.05 (Canadian dollars)

Comments:

Review by RAGE1973 See Profile

• Location: Oakville
Good "Consistantly high speed"
Bad "non-existent tech support"
Overall "excellent value. highly recommended."

I ordered AEI ADSL at the end of September 2002. My modem arrived within a week, and I hooked it up to find absolutely HORRIBLE speed. this was one of the lowest -> »/speedtests/97···36739013

The beginning of October was a very bad time for AEI and I seriously considered returning my modem and cancelling. Especially with the horrendous tech support (forced to leave a message) they (still) have. The stories floating around were that it was a Bell problem. Apparently it was with Bell's nexxia network.

I'm glad I stayed, because once whomever was responsible for the horrible service got their equipment fixed it has been smooth sailing ever since. Average speeds are between 2800-2900 down and around 680 up. The service is supposed to be 3500 down and 800 up, but it's pretty close. »/speedtests/28···43327797

My one complaint is with the (non existent) tech support. I really hope they get this worked out.

Way to go AEI! Good speed for a good price!

member for 13.9 years, 117 visits, last login: 10.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Flipyo See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Excellent speed for the price"
Bad "Hard to reach someone when problems arise"
Overall "Cheap do-it-yourself ISP if you don't expect to talk to anyone on the phone"

Although I was originally quite content with Sympatico, I was forced to change from them due to the introduction of an insane 5 gigabyte per month cap ($8 for each additional gigabyte). My contract work requires a much higher limit, and so I scouted out for another provider.

Using www.canadianisp.com, I searched for ISPs that offered either unlimited or high caps, and found that AEI (www.aei.ca) had a decent review and offered excellent prices ($30/month for 1.2mb/s and $50 for their 3.5mb/s service). Since I was already paying nearly $50 for Sympatico, I decided to opt for their 3.5 service. I purchased my own used Efficient SpeedStream 5260 modem and received the AEI package in the mail less than a week after ordering online. Sadly, I wasn't warned about issues they were having at the time, and so my connection was rather erratic. Finally, a week later (luckily, I joined near the end of the difficulties) I had a decent connection - at 1.2mb/s! Somehow, they tell me, Bell gave me a 1.2mb line card instead of a 3.5mb/s. Since I had already used a little more than a half of my cap with them during that time, I asked them to simply switch me to the 1.2 (unlimited cap) plan and leave it at that. They were quite easy to please. It should be noted that I purchased a dynamic PPPoE service.

Since their difficulties and the switch to 1.2, I have been having near perfect connections (a few noticed disconnects a week, although usually only for very short times). My speeds have gone to the maximum speed nearly every day I've pushed it (unlike Sympatico).

Their e-mail service is decent - giving one e-mail account (I was told I would have to pay for additional names, even if it's a virtual name and not a full mailbox). Their news service is a little worse - although giving nearly 50,000 newsgroups (much higher than Sympatico), there is a huge number of missing headers as well as a fairly short retention rate. If you use usenet often, than either get AEI and use the saved money to purchase another (independent) newsgroup service or look elsewhere.

So, after nearly a month after getting my connection, I am quite happy with AEI, with only a few niggly complaints. For such a low price ($30 - which I hope lasts) and quite a fast connection, I can't really complain.

member for 12.1 years, 584 visits, last login: 4.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by jmar777666 See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "My modem arrived quickly, account was setup quickly"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Worst experience I ever had. Bordering on fraud."

I joined AEI in late Sept, when they started having their problems with Bell. Of course they didn't they me that, and were more than happy to take my subscription and sell me an ADSL modem. After logining in ok for the first 3 days, which I account to Bell not turning off my sympatico promptly, my service was cut. I took 5 days of emails and phone calls to get reconnected.

After I was finally reconnected, the speeds were about the same as a 56K modem. Actually, I had to dial-up 56K to get better packet transmission. I had subscribed for Ultra High Speed 3500/800 (hahahaha). They blamed the problem on Bell messing around with them, passing blame back and forth, etc...

My impression is that they have 2 tech support personnel. No one ever answers the support line, you only have the option to leave a message. Or they tell you to send an email, when you call the sales line. Either way it takes them at best 2 days to respond, but usually they don't respond.

So after 2 weeks of hell and lack of broadband, I called rogers and they set me up in 2 days. Once again, trying to cancel my AEI service was a trial of patience and stamina. I eventually got through to a sales rep, who finally agreed to cancel my service, but would not take back the modem (so much for their "Satisfaction Guarantee" as stated on their website). I think they also mention 24/7 support, well if you call an answering machine support, they got it.

This is my briefest description of my experience, I don't want to get into the details cause it was very disturbing to recall and I have an ADSL modem that I paid $200cdn for, laughing at me as it sits idle beside my cable modem.

On a practical note, the newsgroups were just as spotty as the sympatico ones, so 5GB, 10GB, 20GB caps really didn't matter cause there's rarely a complete file to download. I was amazed when I tried rogers, to find that there's rarely an incomplete file.

I've seen many warnings to stay away from AEI since. Let's hope that all those that have been bitten are able to spread the word. To keep it from happening again.

I just got my VISA bill, and they did not refund the service charges, infact they billed me for a whole month, and I was only with them for 2 weeks.

member for 12.2 years, 144 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by OLDb34tBoX See Profile

Good "Great speeds"
Bad "Too many upgrades"
Overall "Great speed, when online, connection is awesome!"

I've been with AEI and their 3500/800k package since early July ever since Rogers reduced my speeds. I thought I'd try one of the independent ISP's and I'm glad I did. There's many Pro's and Cons with every ISP, but from my experience with switching ISP's, I've found AEI to be the best!

Speeds are amazing for a Canadian ISP, and the 20/20GB monthly bitcap is very good when compared to the 5/5GB cap you get with most other companies. I'm not the type of person that downloads 24/7 but when I need to download or upload, I'm very thankful AEI allows me 3500/800k of their bandwidth so I can send/receive files VERY quickly.

On the other hand when AEI upgrades their networks, the internet can be down for days, but AEI is still my favorable choice.

member for 13.7 years, 1008 visits, last login: 11 years ago

Comments:

Review by LeMaestro See Profile

• Location: Anjou,QC
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Good connection and steady speed"
Bad "Public Relation is very bad and understaff support when big break down occur"
Overall "Good ISP but should take care of that public relation problem"

Sympatico pushed me to switch ISP provider last year when they refuse to replace my old Nortel Network modem for a new alcatel modem. I shopped around and decided to go with AEI.

I bought and Alcatel modem on Ebay and cancelled my sympatico account on friday. Has I was using a Nortel network modem before had to wait for Bell to replace the DSlam card at the CO.

When I conctacted AEI sales dept. they ask me for a user name and pasword they verified if it was in use call me back 10 min later and gave me an activation date that was about 10 days later.

The next thursday the moden sync came online meaning the bell had replaced the DSlam card so I tried my user name and password and I got online.

Did a few speed test and I was getting a nice 940/130 kbps where I was getting 640/102 with sympatico hse.

Only bad thing I had over the past year was the first 3 weeks of october 2002 where they had this big problem and there shortcoming of explainning to there custommer.