AEI Internet page on DSLReports

Review by ajhaji See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Unlimited usage, excellent speeds, and great prices."
Bad "Inconsistent speeds during peak hours, and customer service needs work."
Overall "Cheap and fast provider for people needing lots of monthly usage."

·Anveo
I recently signed up for 25/10 DSL Internet from Contact, which is (I believe) a subsidiary of AEI Internet. I had it installed in my North York condo that has FTTN.

I signed up for their $30 Double Infinite Contact promotion, which gives me 25/10 VDSL with unlimited bandwidth. Speed tests show the full 25/10 speeds, and installation went by without a hitch. I had to call their technical support line on the day of installation to ask about my DSL password, which is the first 15 characters of the password you entered when you signed up for the service, converted to lower-case. I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't asked.

My only complaints about the service are fairly small. During peak hours (late evening), some websites feel a little slow, and speed tests dip below the 25/10 I should be getting. This is especially true with YouTube--I sometimes have to switch to a 720p stream instead of 1080p to avoid stuttering. This happens only every few days, and it's not a huge problem. The only other issue I've experienced has been with their technical support. I've had good luck dealing with "ContactISP" on RedFlagDeals, but anytime I emailed the company I never received a response, and I've been hung up on when calling their tech support line.

member for 12.4 years, 3848 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Fatbadcat See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "cheap and unlimited"
Bad "It takes a month or longer to get setup. They don't want to hear your complaints"
Overall "DON'T GET AEI INTERNET!"

I have been a customer with AEI for 10years. I remember when I originally got hooked up with them it took a month to get things ironed out and they had horrible tech support. I recently applied for a free upgrade from their old 60 unlimited plan (6Mdown/640Kup) to their FTTN10 unlimited plan (10Mdown/1Mup) which now includes a free dry loop. What a nightmare! One screw up after another and it is still not functioning properly. I went for 2 weeks without any internet service switching my wet loop to a dry loop and had to wait home from 1pm till 9pm on two separate scheduled appointments and the technician never showed up for either appointment. It has been almost a month since I ordered the free upgrade.

The lady from administrations didn't want to hear my concerns and just wanted to schedule another appointment. She hung up when I tried to cancel the service. I am waiting for a callback from someone, before I can cancel.

I am sure it will be fine if it gets finally configured properly, but it is just not worth it; life is too short to save a few bucks. I have ordered Roger's although it is more expensive, I won't have to endure AEI and it is 25Mdownload unlimited.

Comments:

drmCA

@woodbridgegroup.com

Having exact same issue

Called to get high packet loss resolved and was met with reluctant service rep and outright rude and hostile service manager Stephan who denied receiving dozens of emails from me and also denied sending me an email promising to open a ticket with Bell a week ago.
Service manager used verbiage such as 'I am not going to waste any more time on this' and 'I don't think so' when I pointed out that I have their email in my inbox.
This is after I was their customer for 4 years and had total of 3 dry DSL lines with fixed IP on 2 of them, not just one.

Review by Sparky See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Always reliable, fast, cheap, unlimited!"
Bad "Bare bones tech supoort"
Overall "Great service fo the money!"

If you don't understand a thing about PCs and the internet AEI probably isn't for you. For anyone beyond beginners knowledge of PCs, LANs, etc. AEI is probably the best value for the buck. I've been with them 10 years now, no data caps, $30 for 5MBPS down and 1MBPS up. Only time I've seen outages is when Bell has screwed up something locally. Forget Bell, Rogers, etc. unless you like wasting money for no reason, in which case just go with AEI and paypal the rest to me as a reward!

• Location: j3l3w
Good "Solid service"
Bad "Support iffy"
Overall "Good value"

I was the 7'th person to sign up with AEI. probably around 18 yrs ago and
did(for free) some OS/2 support for them. I was initially dialup.
Yes, the support is iffy, but if one uses both email(if you're still up)
and phone you will eventually get an answer. I've had 4 problems, all
resolved fairly quickly. 3 were Bell and the 4'th was an adsl modem went
bad. That took a while, had to take it into town for testing but
that let me visit the site and meet the people including the owners. I've
spoken to the present people in charge this week and they are now
offering ADSL2+ service where available from Bell but with unlimited
transfers and they are also hiring both support and administrative
personnel. Just can't wait for ADSL2+ to arrive in my location, I've seen
combined modem/wireless routers for as low as 35 on EBay recently.

(review was emailed from domain aei.ca)

Comments:

Fingle

@teksavvy.com

Re: the worst provider in the world

»THE WORST PROVIDER IN THE WORLD

Not much has changed since.

pg

@aei.ca

the worst ISP ever

I WAS getting only 300kbs download speed. When I called andrequested service customer service. Rep was really rude. They told me I'll be charged if they open a ticket with Bell to investigate problem

Review by blaze_125 See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "stable, reliable, no caps"
Bad "none"
Overall "Best value for your money"

I just spend a chunk of time reading other people's review about AEI and I'm surprised not more people are satisfied. I've been with that provider for 10 years now and I have no complaint what so ever. The service is stable, and reliable.

My location allows me to get the full speeds they advertise.

5mb down for 35$ including taxes and NO CAP is nothing to turn away from.
Their technical/billing support isn't "as fancy" as Bell, but they get things done.

I had to communicate with their reps a big total of 2 times.
Once because I had forgotten my password, and once because I wanted to change my billing info.

I left a message on their voice-mail and got called back within 24hours.
I didn't have to disconnect my network and stand on my head to get my new password as opposed to Bell.

All in all... AEI all the way.

Comments:

Review by deizblood7 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Price / Unlimited Bandwith / 6 megs"

I have AEI since 2006 no problem till now.
For the price of 29.95$ i got nearly unlimited bandwith i reach sometimes 250gigs nothing.

Comments:

Review by wingman84 See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "No caps, reliable and fast service."
Bad "Hard to complain about something that always works and costs next to nothing!"
Overall "For the price you pay, you can't go wrong!"

Have been with AEI since Bell first introduced the dreaded DL cap back... whenever it was, 4-5 years ago. At first the connection was terrible, dropped all the time. Was due to all the new customers and their infrastructure not being up to snuff. They had that fixed within 6 months and I have not had a problem since.

Their prices are cheap for 5mb service. With upload speeds were a little higher, but for 30 bucks a month... really can you complain?

I would recommend without hesitation.

Comments:

Review by amherst4 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Good Technical support staff"
Bad "Hours of availability technical support"
Overall "Excellent if you do not need 24h/7 technical support"

I have been with AEI at least five years now. I am satisfied. No comparison possible with my previous supplier Bell Canada. I did ditch Bell for AEI and it has been a great decision.

Comments:

Review by camoreau See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC

I've been with AEI for the past 2 years and I have no problems at all but for the first install. I was getting slower speed than expected. I contacted AEI. We did a few verifications and the conclusion was that Bell Canada needed to check on their side and pay me a visite. Once the Bell technician came and solve a little problem on Bell wiring outside of my house I got good speed. My connection for the past 2 years has been very stable.

Bonus : AEI offers 10 hours per month on internet via phone which is good for me when I'm at the cottage and that I need to check a few emails.

Comments:

Review by skurys See Profile

• Location: h1g
Good "A. Cheap B. It's not Bell C. No contracts"
Bad "Occasionally has 1/2 day - 1-2 day outtages"
Overall "9/10 : Great value for money spent"

I have been with AEI for 6-7 years now. I am very satisfied with their service. There's the occasional time when it won't connect but I am not fully convinced its their service, as I don't trust the line quality in my area, like 3 times a week I see a guy from Bell fiddling in the main box. I think the connections are now being throttled but I'm pretty sure there's no way around that since they simply resell Bell's networks. They rent out modems, but I had one already and it comes out cheaper that way (29.95/m no contract as of jul 1st 2008). No 24/7 customer service but they do know what they're talking about when you reach them, and hey, if you were the kind of person that didn't know anything about computers and needed to call customer service 3 times a week you probably wouldn't have heard about AEI in the first place

Since I subscribed, I haven't once had to worry about my service, they don't call me to offer other "services" and the line speed is great considering it's DSL and I'm not exactly living next door to the central. I get a pretty constant 2000/600 kbps DL/UL speed and it's unfortunate that I will be changing providers after so long with what I consider a good company, but my job will be requiring 3000+ kbps download speeds to handle 2 VOIP lines, video conferencing and still leave me with a nice chunk of bandwidth for my personal use I give them an overall 9 on 10!