Mercury Network page on DSLReports

Review by smetzger See Profile

• Location: Manitowoc,Manitowoc,WI
Good "cheap"
Bad "disconnected all the time, not relliable."
Overall "never will get mercury network again"

I was with mercury network for a little over a year. At least once a day you would get disconnected, internet would lagg. Very slow internet. I canceled after the year contract was up. They still charged my credit card for 2 additional months. I demanded a refund. they said the refund was denied. There tech support was terrible. outages all the time. everything about this company was terrible.

Comments:

Review by Fred Riley See Profile

• Location: Roselle,Du Page,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Cheap on paper, timely install"
Bad "Incompetent tech support, costly mistakes, expensive real service."
Overall "Go elsewhere"

We asked Mercury to make an IP change which they said that they did. We hired a Cisco tech to come out and install a firewall based on those statements. The changes were not made and we had to pay the tech for his time. Mercury called back the next day and assured us that the changes were now made. We hired the tech again and again the changes were not made. They managed to get it the third time.

Mercury refused to accept any level of responsibility for the screwups much less credit our account for some amount of the techs bills despite the blatant mistakes made. "We are not responsible for your IT costs." even though they created them.

If we ammortize and add the cost of the techs three visits to our annual ISP cost, Mercury is much more expensive than the local competition. We will not do business with them and when the contract is up will probably drop them. We now know what will happen on any next change or problem.

Comments:

Review by dornbos See Profile

• Location: Saginaw,Saginaw,MI
  • Telco party Ameritech
  • CLEC party: New Edge Networks
Good "Reliable connection, almost 0 downtime. 1.1 meg SDSL service."
Bad "1st layer of tech support lacking in basic dsl knowledge."
Overall "Good DSL provider, lack of competition leaves prices on high side."

All in all I've been happy with mercury.net. They have done what they said they would, when they said they would, and other than the 9% universal service fee, have always billed what they were supposed to.

On a couple of occasions (once after upgrading my line speed from 768 to 1.1meg) I found that I wasn't getting the speed I was paying for. Tech support's response both times was something like "sure, you're getting what you're supposed to. DSL has this speed loss that makes 660 kbs transfer rates acceptable speed for 1.1 meg service."

It would be great to see them offer bigger discounts for home users. I'd love to be able to take my bandwidth home me in the evenings. But right now, their residential pricing still leaves cable as the clear winner at home.

member for 13.6 years, 179 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by duomenox See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party New Edge Networks
  • CLEC party: New Edge Networks
Good "Great Customer Service!!!"
Bad "Quotes online are WAY off actual pricing"
Overall "Don't be surprised if you are paying 4 times the DSLReports quoted price!"

I called an talked to a very nice customer service agent. He quoted me $408.95 for a 2304/2304 SDSL line. This is much more expensive than their DSLReports adertised price of 187.95 for my zipcode. Since I input my zipcode I expected a price that was close to the reported price on DSLReports. I am not sure where you could get this service for this price in Arizona, neither was the sales agent.