Skybeam.net page on DSLReports

Review by MrScott See Profile

• Location: Weatherford,Parker,TX
Good "Honestly can't think of any."
Bad "Service in my area has been poor for 4 years."

Skybeam has awful service & refused to even attempt to fix my issue or offer me something other than "continue to pay us money while you wait for the trees around your house to have the leafs come off so you can have a better connection" I've been with skybeam for 4 years & have always had bad connection but had no other option other than to deal with it. now i'm leaving them for Nextlink. Hopefully they will treat me better.

Comments:

Review by rm12577 See Profile

• Location: Elgin,Bastrop,TX
Good "Available in my area"
Bad "Connection frequently drops for 1-2 minutes"
Overall "If I had another usable option (for a decent price), I would take it"

I have lived at the same location now for 7 years, in those 7 years I have been through 5 ISPs, the best by far was named PVCO, they got bought out by Skybeam... I started off with a wireless ISP that just couldn't get through the trees, they cancelled my contract after about 6 months of not being able to provide reliable service. Then I got an ISDN connection from AT&T, after about a month they got both links working and it was reliable, but too slow for anything other than checking email, and for the price/speed I was better off with a wireless connect card, so I got one from Verizon. For 6 months it worked fine, I just never did anything but play video games on it because it would burn through my data cap. Then I cancelled everything and switched to PVCO, they were great, good service, speeds were almost always as advertised, the only outage I had was fixed within a day, everything was grand. Then one day I got a piece of mail stating that they were being acquired by Skybeam... then everything went downhill, my 3 meg connection became a 768 connection, when it was working. I would have days of internet not working even after frequent calls, and during this time all of my neighbors cancelled their service because they said it just wasn't worth putting up with... none of them still have internet. I weathered through the storm and eventually the service came back to a somewhat usable form. During the "storm" my internet was down for 3 months straight with frequent calls and eventually it got fixed with some outside intervention. Now the service scales out to be about 3 megs down at 3am and around 1-1.5 up. during peak times it still slows down a lot but usually stays over 1 mbps down. The installers that I have worked with so far have been great, always friendly, always willing to answer questions and test things out, but the service is generally less than adequate and the connection just never stays up. Currently I lose .5 percent of my pings over the course of a month, which should be about 1 percent downtime, but spaced out just perfectly so I can't play any video games or do any voice calls. Luckily I have a backup unlimited 4g connection to rely on when I just cant take it anymore...

Comments:

Review by TheJabberwok See Profile

• Location: Greeley,Weld,CO
Good "Human tech support. Speeds as advertised (5 Mb down 2 Mb up)...when it works."
Bad "Poor troubleshooting"
Overall "STAY AWAY!"

When it works it is great.I have had to change my review a couple times.

The yearly problem is back again... There was a "weather related outage" that started 7/6 and ended 7/9. Despite the outage having ended, I still have intermittent or no connectivity. This happens every year in the summer months. After 4 calls to support and over an hour of hold times, they issued a service call on 7/11. Based on previous years experience, they will issue 2-3 service calls, and then eventually they will realize it is at the AP and finally fix the issue. Last year, I had to contact the BBB before it got fixed. I like the service when it works, but this gets REALLY old. Got the service call (he actually came early, but didn't bother to phone prior to showing up.) First he wanted to replace the power cable, which was suggested and tried at the beginning of my troubles last year. Then he checked some things and finally said the AP was getting interference from another AP, and that I would have to install a pole at my expense to reach a different tower... I know this is BS.

UPDATE 2012:

Iiiiit's baaaaaack. They not only have started a bandwidth limit and implemented some kind of bandwidth allocation snake oil that has turned latency from 10-20 ms pings to 50-60ms pings, but my yearly problem is back. Severely intermittent connectivity. I guess it's back to the BBB. I can no longer recommend this service on ANY level. STAY AWAY!

UPDATE: 2014

They upgraded my antennae and thus I have to pay much more for equipment and my monthly fee. The illegally instituted a fair usage policy despite the service being marketed as unlimited. The upgraded antennae was supposed to solve my yearly issue, yet I have had intermittent connectivity for multiple months now despite the fact that the agriculture equipment that they claimed was causing interference has been long put up for the winter. Despite record of multiple years of intermittent service they have given me NO billing consideration. I have over ten years of supporting LAN/WAN connectivity, and I guarantee this is not my equipment.

6/2014

Radio died. Had a service call. They left the new POE injector lying by my desk. The service tech advised my wife (I had to work) that there is something wrong with my router. He had just opened a browser, but didn't get redirected to their provisioning page. He didn't even try purple.com. Once I easily sorted that out, I'm connected, but still getting intermittent connectivity. Dropping packets for 30-60 seconds at a time, with latency before and after. Just sad.

Comments:

Abused ex

@sbcglobal.net

It's REALLY poor. Sucks BIGtime

I got so tired of the service dropping to NONE or a 10 min load of a page after the ISP I signed up with was bought out. All anyone ever does at Skybeam is either tell you that they can't do anything for you or tell you that someone will call you back. Do NOT let anyone off the phone if your issue is unresolved. It NEVER will be.

I banged my head against the wall with them an ungodly number of times... holding or waiting for a call back... No-shows for SET appointments... I even had someone call me once to CANCEL an appointment supposedly scheduled for THAT DAY of which I had never been informed. Try to escalate to a supervisor. HAH! You know what a supervisor told me when I asked "Ok... so if what I have is the best it will get until NEW tower equipment is installed... when is that scheduled?"? The answer I got was "It isn't scheduled but they don't tell us." One supervisor told me that she would PERSONALLY call me back... NEVER did. Two other times I was told that a supervisor would call me the next day... and no one EVER called. Needless to say I finally cancelled with Skybeam (Um....yeah their "5Mbps download" Texas plan) and had ATT install their 1.5Mbps DSL (the best they can offer my area at the moment). I actually kept Skybeam for two months while "testing" the DSL to be sure it was better. OMG! 1.5Mbps is consistent... I can watch Netflix, I can watch a newsclip video without waiting 15 mins for it to load... I can get INTERNET! Sure it's not as fast as cable... but at least you can GET internet all the time. With Skybeam I was lucky to get ANY signal a great deal of the time.

Oh... and just an FYI. When they finally DID come to get the equipment, they took the box and left all their other trash on my roof. Someone is supposed to call me tomorrow to get the rest (after I complained), but I doubt that anyone will ever come. I will have to pay someone to take Skybeam's trash off my roof.

Sad. With all the job outsourcing and with the level of "service" (read: "I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do") they may as well have their call center in India like everyone else.

Anyway, if you currently HAVE Skybeam or ANY of the JAB Wireless companies and are having issues... take it from me, 1.5Mbps DSL from ATT is FAR superior and you actually GET service from ATT.

Review by xexx See Profile

• Location: Aledo,Parker,TX

Dumped Skybeam back in December 2012 after I was getting like 1Mbps on my 5Mbps plan, went to Nextlink (NxLink.com) and am currently getting 29/20 Mbps and only paying for 15/5Mbps... WITH 4ms PING.. yes, FOUR... single digit pings! Superior in every single way to Skybeam

Comments:

Review by cshaw See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Weld,CO
Good "Quick Install"
Bad "Spotty connectivity. Was told I was less than 1 block from tower."

Performance varies widely. Inclement weather (lightening and high wind) take out my surge protected router; I suspect this is from signal spikes, I am on my 6th replacement (Thank goodness for warranties). Some days, service is so spotty it is unusable..today is one of those. On days like today I have spent over an hour trying to get back online, with rebooting routers and the skybeam connection. Phone service is also troublesome. After a long hold time decided to choose the call back option. within 2 minutes of hanging up I was called back and not given an agent, but put on hold again. Limited ISP options here.

Comments:

Bobo89

@spcsdns.net

Skybeam service

I would really recommend not getting this service I literally live 500yrd frm the tower and my service suck.. PleAse save your money and go else where
twiddledee

join:2014-03-19
Black Hawk, CO

skybeam service

Terrible customer service. They have basically fallen off the earth & no longer respond to my complaints. I can see the tower from my house and there are no obstructions. I had better service when they were Wispertel. This gobble up little companies with bigger companies have created themselves to be an awful IP provider, sure the service is up over 95% of the time but slow so very slow. It's just getting worse and it seems they've a fair amount of turnover. I've read reviews of other possible providers and it seems you're damned w/ any of them. Does anyone know how to report this to Colorado State Government regulatory agencies as I have read the FCC/PUC does not regulate these services/companies. Who will hear our complaints and do something to fix the problems we all experience?
»www.theskybeam.com/utilities/spe···ults.php
28.8 kbps Dial-up
33.6 kbps Dial-up
56 kbps Dial-up
75 kbps The SkyBeam (Starter Plan)
92.6 kbps YOU The current average.
150 kbps The SkyBeam (Basic Plan)
300 kbps The SkyBeam (Standard) What they bill me
500 kbps The SkyBeam (Advanced) wonder who actually gets this speed!

Review by vahtryn See Profile

• Location: usa
Bad "Holy mother of hell"
Overall "Idiots, horrible ability to provide information"

In one week the service has gone down a total of seven times. The first one lasted for 32 hours. Five were for short periods of time. Now is the seventh and it's been down for nine hours.

When you work remotely and rely on the internet this sort of service is horrid. I'm spending more time at a Starbucks than at home where I normally work which is just stupid.

The tech support takes forever to get through to. One spends a crap load of time on hold. Then when you want to escalate, which seemed to fix the last long outage, you sit on hold for what feels like hours yet again.

The first tech support person I called today when they were open for about an hour. Well she was definitely a mouth breather. Could hear her huffing and puffing over the phone. Took about 10 minutes to pull up an account via the actual account number. I wouldn't let her watch my dog for fear she might accidently kill my dog out of pure stupidity.

Unfortunately this is the only high speed where I'm located so I suppose I'm just doomed to horrible customer service, horrible internet service and long days in a Starbucks.

Comments:

syl

@208.236.221.x

Sky Beam Internet VERY BAD

I have skybeam and their services is very bad, I would not recommed it to anybody.
I pay for 5 mb barley get 1. wait for ever for a fix then told we are working on it. for the past 3 years of working on it.
I am now looking at hughes net

Review by seminat0r See Profile

• Location: Cedar Creek,Bastrop,TX
Good "They provide service to an area nobody else does"
Bad "The service is borderline unusable"
Overall "Don't get it if you have ANY other choice. At all."

I was originally using a small mom & pop ISP known as PVCO -- The service wasnt amazing, but it was honest. The owner even warned you that low latency applications might not work well and if thats what you need, his service isnt for you. And, well, it did spike a little bit. More often than not though it was downright usable.

I move away for a few years, come back, and I find out skybeam has bought them out.

Price has gone up quite a bit. Service has gone down even more.

They claim 5/1 is their lowest plan, but I'm lucky if I even get 1 megabit down.

The bandwidth isnt even the problem though, its the latency. Throughout the day you'll have anywhere from 200-300ms ping TO THE SECOND HOP. By the time you get outside of their network its usually 500-800 minimum. And thats not counting the spikes.

The spikes are between 2-3 seconds, with 20-50% packet loss..and they last for 30+ minutes at a time. I once left a multi-traceroute running and came back to find out that one of the packets managed to take over 60 seconds to come back. Thats right, 60,000 ping. Brutal.

You can not game with this connection.
You can not stream video with this connection (netflix, hulu, or even watching a youtube video).
All you can really do is check your email, and hope nobody sent you any attachments.

One time I was playing WoW on a server located in Dallas. I found out that my friend playing on a 3g connection from the middle east had about 1/10th the ping I have. It's that bad.

I sent an email complaining and asking about this awful latency to their "24/7 support" email. 4 days later, no reply yet..

Honestly at this point I think I'll just swallow the cost of the microwave tower I had to buy and just get a 3g service. I hate bandwidth caps, but I'd rather have a capped usable connection than this.

Comments:

Review by Keymaster422 See Profile

• Location: Caddo Mills,Hunt,TX
Good "Fast, easy install; cheaper AND faster than Millenicom; reliable connection"
Overall "Haven't had a single issue. "

Well, here we go. I was a Millenicom customer until they screwed the pooch with Sprint and got their contract terminated. Living in a rural area with no cable or DSL options, this presented a problem, especially with the 48 hours notice Mcom gave us about our accounts terminating.

I had considered Skybeam before, but given the multitude of negative reviews, had never pursued them. I figured at this point it couldn't be worse than Mcom.

Luckily, I was right. Called them on a Tuesday night, and had the install scheduled for Thursday. Installer was scheduled to come between 12 noon and 4 PM. Imagine my shock when he showed up at 12:15. Install was fast and easy. We did manage to hit their local 15 Mbps tower for which I was quite thankful.

Snce installation, 2.5 months ago, I have had zero problems with the service. I can actually play games online now, as wireless has great ping times compared to 3G cell data. My wife and I can stream Netflix to different devices at the same time with no buffering delays as well.

Overall, Skybeam gets an A+ from me.

Cheaper, faster and far more reliable than Millenicom.

Comments:
DLow

Same

Yuppp i moved to skybeam too despite all the bad reviews 4 weeks ago i normally get 20megs down and 10up great service so far

angel 58

@tmodns.net

my service

They took over the company we had. for the first few months the service was fine and then I started getting overage charges. I did not have this problem with my previous company. my bill went through the roof and I am switching I was not told about this they said everything would stay the same but it didn't.

Re: my service

Well that blows, Jab Broadband has been buying out smaller WISP all over the area in Texas & Colorado in the last few years, Skybeam there selfs used to be Air Canopy here in Ellis County

Which area do you live in Angel ?

Review by DLow See Profile

• Location: Waxahachie,Ellis,TX
Good "5 Stars"
Overall "Pretty reliable service so far"

I have had skybeam for a couple of weeks now, Considering i contract for Charter and am used to the faster speeds and being hard lined using a satellite for internet was kind of a new thing to me was pretty worried about network congestion and a reliable signal.

The techs had to place a 10' poll on top of my house but it got me me the best possible signal, In the mornings / afternoon i average about 17mbps/down, 8mbps/up

Even at peak hours in the evenings i usually average about 12megs down and 5megs up. Having the extra Upload speed is great never had upload speeds this fast with charter, The down speeds are about the same considering charters pretty congested in my area.

Over all im pretty happy so far. Hopefully all stays well, Wouldnt mind them getting some faster tiers though.

Update 12-3-13

Noticed some slow issues during the evening after a few days of a install had support come out today to adjust my radio, im actually pulling near 21mbps down and 12mbps up now that has corrected my issue.

Comments:

rukidding

@71.158.67.x

Are you serious?

I thought trolling wasn't allowed DLow. If you're getting such great service, you're surely in the minority.

I pay 55 a month for service that rarely ever goes above 1mb down - and that's usually in the wee hours of the morning. During "peak" times, my internet is usually unusable for anything more than light web surfing or checking email. Forget youtube, netflix, or graphic heavy websites - can't use 'em.

I live in the boonies so it's my only option. And like someone else said, the previous company was bad, but since skybeam took over it got so much worse.

·Skybeam.net

Re: Are you serious?

Lol @ Trolling, I was quite suprised my self tbh, im a contractor for Charter the only reason i even started with skybeam is i did not feel like paying a deposit for uVerse, Where i live we have Charter through out the town but i live in a new sub-division with no hard lines so i went with skybeam after all the bad reviews on Dslreports & there facebook page, The first 3 weeks i had tons of issues in the evenings couldnt stream netflix on more than 3 tvs like i could during the day, They came out yesterday adjusted the radio brought me back in spec 25-35db and im constant pulling close to 18down and 10up for proof
»i.imgur.com/vXtDzNy.png

Then agian im within 3 miles of the tower i hit. if they could just get some better radios instead of the out dated ones they use they could be a more reliable provider to a lot of people, imo.

john paul

@windstream.net

Re: Are you serious?

Looking at the coverage map, do you live well in the marked area or right on the edge of the coverage area?
said by DLow:

»i.imgur.com/vXtDzNy.png

Keymaster422

join:2002-02-25
Caddo Mills, TX
·Skybeam.net
I'm in the same boat as DLow. I ordered skybeam service after Millenicom $#!+ the bed. I was really skeptical after all their reviews here.

Couldn't be more thrilled with the service. Consistent 13-15 Mbps speeds down and 5Mbps up. Can download a 2GB movie in around 20 minutes with sustained 1.5 MB/s speeds. Gaming is easy with sub 50 ms pings as well.

angel 58

@tmodns.net
I agree it did get worse

Review by mtm114 See Profile

• Location: USA
Overall "Other Options"

I helped set up this Canopy in Granbury, back in 2004-2006 time range, and am well aware of issues that can arise.

I guess the biggest issue with Skybeam is that, out of having this hardware and this connection since around 2004, and the bulk of the time it worked acceptably, Now it does not, and my options per conversation with them yesterday, is 'there is nothing we can do'.

So I am stuck with less than what I got over the years. I guess my main complaint with that is how did it mostly work acceptably for the years I had it, prior to them getting hold of it? In that respect, I am confused. This includes a tower move closer to my house because the old one, was going to fall over... when they moved it, it worked acceptably until recently... Anyway, long story, can give more details...

Skybeam is probably at least the fourth buy out from the original company.

Basically, they say it it what it is, so I guess my question is why was it better before they got it?

My only answer - just guessing is maintenance, the lower your maintenance cost is, the more money you make regardless of you customer base, as long as you can maintain a customer base (this is 'churn'), you lose one customer, you take on another, that is relatively how it works, hopefully, the new customer will cost you less to maintain, that equals more bottom line.