Skybeam.net page on DSLReports

Review by MrScott See Profile

• Location: Weatherford,Parker,TX
Good "Honestly can't think of any."
Bad "Service in my area has been poor for 4 years."

Skybeam has awful service & refused to even attempt to fix my issue or offer me something other than "continue to pay us money while you wait for the trees around your house to have the leafs come off so you can have a better connection" I've been with skybeam for 4 years & have always had bad connection but had no other option other than to deal with it. now i'm leaving them for Nextlink. Hopefully they will treat me better.

Comments:

Review by rm12577 See Profile

• Location: Elgin,Bastrop,TX
Good "Available in my area"
Bad "Connection frequently drops for 1-2 minutes"
Overall "If I had another usable option (for a decent price), I would take it"

I have lived at the same location now for 7 years, in those 7 years I have been through 5 ISPs, the best by far was named PVCO, they got bought out by Skybeam... I started off with a wireless ISP that just couldn't get through the trees, they cancelled my contract after about 6 months of not being able to provide reliable service. Then I got an ISDN connection from AT&T, after about a month they got both links working and it was reliable, but too slow for anything other than checking email, and for the price/speed I was better off with a wireless connect card, so I got one from Verizon. For 6 months it worked fine, I just never did anything but play video games on it because it would burn through my data cap. Then I cancelled everything and switched to PVCO, they were great, good service, speeds were almost always as advertised, the only outage I had was fixed within a day, everything was grand. Then one day I got a piece of mail stating that they were being acquired by Skybeam... then everything went downhill, my 3 meg connection became a 768 connection, when it was working. I would have days of internet not working even after frequent calls, and during this time all of my neighbors cancelled their service because they said it just wasn't worth putting up with... none of them still have internet. I weathered through the storm and eventually the service came back to a somewhat usable form. During the "storm" my internet was down for 3 months straight with frequent calls and eventually it got fixed with some outside intervention. Now the service scales out to be about 3 megs down at 3am and around 1-1.5 up. during peak times it still slows down a lot but usually stays over 1 mbps down. The installers that I have worked with so far have been great, always friendly, always willing to answer questions and test things out, but the service is generally less than adequate and the connection just never stays up. Currently I lose .5 percent of my pings over the course of a month, which should be about 1 percent downtime, but spaced out just perfectly so I can't play any video games or do any voice calls. Luckily I have a backup unlimited 4g connection to rely on when I just cant take it anymore...

Comments:

Review by TheJabberwok See Profile

• Location: Greeley,Weld,CO
Good "Human tech support. Speeds as advertised (5 Mb down 2 Mb up)...when it works."
Bad "Poor troubleshooting"
Overall "STAY AWAY!"

When it works it is great.I have had to change my review a couple times.

The yearly problem is back again... There was a "weather related outage" that started 7/6 and ended 7/9. Despite the outage having ended, I still have intermittent or no connectivity. This happens every year in the summer months. After 4 calls to support and over an hour of hold times, they issued a service call on 7/11. Based on previous years experience, they will issue 2-3 service calls, and then eventually they will realize it is at the AP and finally fix the issue. Last year, I had to contact the BBB before it got fixed. I like the service when it works, but this gets REALLY old. Got the service call (he actually came early, but didn't bother to phone prior to showing up.) First he wanted to replace the power cable, which was suggested and tried at the beginning of my troubles last year. Then he checked some things and finally said the AP was getting interference from another AP, and that I would have to install a pole at my expense to reach a different tower... I know this is BS.

UPDATE 2012:

Iiiiit's baaaaaack. They not only have started a bandwidth limit and implemented some kind of bandwidth allocation snake oil that has turned latency from 10-20 ms pings to 50-60ms pings, but my yearly problem is back. Severely intermittent connectivity. I guess it's back to the BBB. I can no longer recommend this service on ANY level. STAY AWAY!

UPDATE: 2014

They upgraded my antennae and thus I have to pay much more for equipment and my monthly fee. The illegally instituted a fair usage policy despite the service being marketed as unlimited. The upgraded antennae was supposed to solve my yearly issue, yet I have had intermittent connectivity for multiple months now despite the fact that the agriculture equipment that they claimed was causing interference has been long put up for the winter. Despite record of multiple years of intermittent service they have given me NO billing consideration. I have over ten years of supporting LAN/WAN connectivity, and I guarantee this is not my equipment.

6/2014

Radio died. Had a service call. They left the new POE injector lying by my desk. The service tech advised my wife (I had to work) that there is something wrong with my router. He had just opened a browser, but didn't get redirected to their provisioning page. He didn't even try purple.com. Once I easily sorted that out, I'm connected, but still getting intermittent connectivity. Dropping packets for 30-60 seconds at a time, with latency before and after. Just sad.

Comments:

Abused ex

@sbcglobal.net

It's REALLY poor. Sucks BIGtime

I got so tired of the service dropping to NONE or a 10 min load of a page after the ISP I signed up with was bought out. All anyone ever does at Skybeam is either tell you that they can't do anything for you or tell you that someone will call you back. Do NOT let anyone off the phone if your issue is unresolved. It NEVER will be.

I banged my head against the wall with them an ungodly number of times... holding or waiting for a call back... No-shows for SET appointments... I even had someone call me once to CANCEL an appointment supposedly scheduled for THAT DAY of which I had never been informed. Try to escalate to a supervisor. HAH! You know what a supervisor told me when I asked "Ok... so if what I have is the best it will get until NEW tower equipment is installed... when is that scheduled?"? The answer I got was "It isn't scheduled but they don't tell us." One supervisor told me that she would PERSONALLY call me back... NEVER did. Two other times I was told that a supervisor would call me the next day... and no one EVER called. Needless to say I finally cancelled with Skybeam (Um....yeah their "5Mbps download" Texas plan) and had ATT install their 1.5Mbps DSL (the best they can offer my area at the moment). I actually kept Skybeam for two months while "testing" the DSL to be sure it was better. OMG! 1.5Mbps is consistent... I can watch Netflix, I can watch a newsclip video without waiting 15 mins for it to load... I can get INTERNET! Sure it's not as fast as cable... but at least you can GET internet all the time. With Skybeam I was lucky to get ANY signal a great deal of the time.

Oh... and just an FYI. When they finally DID come to get the equipment, they took the box and left all their other trash on my roof. Someone is supposed to call me tomorrow to get the rest (after I complained), but I doubt that anyone will ever come. I will have to pay someone to take Skybeam's trash off my roof.

Sad. With all the job outsourcing and with the level of "service" (read: "I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do") they may as well have their call center in India like everyone else.

Anyway, if you currently HAVE Skybeam or ANY of the JAB Wireless companies and are having issues... take it from me, 1.5Mbps DSL from ATT is FAR superior and you actually GET service from ATT.

Review by xexx See Profile

• Location: Aledo,Parker,TX

Dumped Skybeam back in December 2012 after I was getting like 1Mbps on my 5Mbps plan, went to Nextlink (NxLink.com) and am currently getting 29/20 Mbps and only paying for 15/5Mbps... WITH 4ms PING.. yes, FOUR... single digit pings! Superior in every single way to Skybeam

Comments:

Review by cshaw See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Weld,CO
Good "Quick Install"
Bad "Spotty connectivity. Was told I was less than 1 block from tower."

Performance varies widely. Inclement weather (lightening and high wind) take out my surge protected router; I suspect this is from signal spikes, I am on my 6th replacement (Thank goodness for warranties). Some days, service is so spotty it is unusable..today is one of those. On days like today I have spent over an hour trying to get back online, with rebooting routers and the skybeam connection. Phone service is also troublesome. After a long hold time decided to choose the call back option. within 2 minutes of hanging up I was called back and not given an agent, but put on hold again. Limited ISP options here.

Comments:

Bobo89

@spcsdns.net

Skybeam service

I would really recommend not getting this service I literally live 500yrd frm the tower and my service suck.. PleAse save your money and go else where
twiddledee

join:2014-03-19
Black Hawk, CO

skybeam service

Terrible customer service. They have basically fallen off the earth & no longer respond to my complaints. I can see the tower from my house and there are no obstructions. I had better service when they were Wispertel. This gobble up little companies with bigger companies have created themselves to be an awful IP provider, sure the service is up over 95% of the time but slow so very slow. It's just getting worse and it seems they've a fair amount of turnover. I've read reviews of other possible providers and it seems you're damned w/ any of them. Does anyone know how to report this to Colorado State Government regulatory agencies as I have read the FCC/PUC does not regulate these services/companies. Who will hear our complaints and do something to fix the problems we all experience?
»www.theskybeam.com/utilities/spe···ults.php
28.8 kbps Dial-up
33.6 kbps Dial-up
56 kbps Dial-up
75 kbps The SkyBeam (Starter Plan)
92.6 kbps YOU The current average.
150 kbps The SkyBeam (Basic Plan)
300 kbps The SkyBeam (Standard) What they bill me
500 kbps The SkyBeam (Advanced) wonder who actually gets this speed!

Review by seminat0r See Profile

• Location: Cedar Creek,Bastrop,TX
Good "They provide service to an area nobody else does"
Bad "The service is borderline unusable"
Overall "Don't get it if you have ANY other choice. At all."

I was originally using a small mom & pop ISP known as PVCO -- The service wasnt amazing, but it was honest. The owner even warned you that low latency applications might not work well and if thats what you need, his service isnt for you. And, well, it did spike a little bit. More often than not though it was downright usable.

I move away for a few years, come back, and I find out skybeam has bought them out.

Price has gone up quite a bit. Service has gone down even more.

They claim 5/1 is their lowest plan, but I'm lucky if I even get 1 megabit down.

The bandwidth isnt even the problem though, its the latency. Throughout the day you'll have anywhere from 200-300ms ping TO THE SECOND HOP. By the time you get outside of their network its usually 500-800 minimum. And thats not counting the spikes.

The spikes are between 2-3 seconds, with 20-50% packet loss..and they last for 30+ minutes at a time. I once left a multi-traceroute running and came back to find out that one of the packets managed to take over 60 seconds to come back. Thats right, 60,000 ping. Brutal.

You can not game with this connection.
You can not stream video with this connection (netflix, hulu, or even watching a youtube video).
All you can really do is check your email, and hope nobody sent you any attachments.

One time I was playing WoW on a server located in Dallas. I found out that my friend playing on a 3g connection from the middle east had about 1/10th the ping I have. It's that bad.

I sent an email complaining and asking about this awful latency to their "24/7 support" email. 4 days later, no reply yet..

Honestly at this point I think I'll just swallow the cost of the microwave tower I had to buy and just get a 3g service. I hate bandwidth caps, but I'd rather have a capped usable connection than this.

Comments:

Review by cr 2618 See Profile

• Location: Caddo Mills,Hunt,TX

Area of service, Caddo Mills, Tx. Service 5 dwn/1 up, price around 60 dollars. Average hold time for phone calls to Skybeam, 40 mins concerning issues that eventually ended service agreement. I perceive this as a lack of "agents" as they put it in their "for my convenience" automated messages between the repetitive melody played while on hold. Which also leads me to believe they are reaching past their capabilities of an ISP. The tower that our service was connected to has been in "SOS" status since Aug of 2012; they knew this when they installed our service initially which seems to highlight their priorities. We called to cancel service in the first 30 days of service to recoup set up fee, they baited us in past that allowed time frame with a free month of service. I would not recommend their service to anyone. The actual internet service is too inconsistent for the price they charge and the customer service is inexcusable.

Comments:

Review by wilbarger See Profile

• Location: Quinlan,Hunt,TX
Good "Good speeds when no one else is at home"
Bad "Overloaded equipment and they are obviously not going to upgrade"
Overall "I give up!!!"

·SkyWave
Like many others, I was changed from Partnership Broadband to Skybeam several months ago. The move was HORRIBLE for me. No notice and service went to hell quickly. No Tech Support, constant drops of service for days at a time and unreliable speed when it was working. I now am pretty satisfied with the service. Speeds are consistent and the service seems to be much more reliable. My speeds are 5 Meg down and 2 Meg up. Tech support now either answers directly or will return a call the same day. Per their techs, their towers where I live are overcrowded, but they have upgrades ongoing. Overall, I am now recommending their service where I live over USB modems or other wireless services.

UPDATE 12/31/12

I have finally found another provider that I am going to try. Skywave-TX. They have been around for a couple of years, but I just learned about them. I will have an install on 1/2/13 and will give a full review after a few weeks.

It is obvious that Skybeam is just sucking the profits out of all the companies that they have bought out the last few years. I don't blame their workers for their crappy service as it is a management issue. Their tech support has worked with me and they are exasperated with having to make excuses for the company they work for.

member for 13.5 years, 3820 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

wilbarger

join:2001-06-06
Quinlan, TX
·SkyWave
·Skybeam.net

Skywave-TX

Well, I have had Skywave-TX for a couple of weeks now and am VERY happy with their service. I have an 8/2 service and below is a typical speedtest for me. I never see a slow down in the evenings and plan on staying with these guys as long as they deliver service and good results. I am HAPPY!

8.3Mbs down
2.93 Mbs up
45 ms Ping

I cannot figure out how to add the ISP to DSL Reports and no one has answered my email asking for them to be added.
Legalize Freedom
Jerome925

join:2003-02-24
Denton, TX
·Nortex Communica..

Re: Skywave-TX

Those are good stats for wireless. Years ago we had Partnership Wireless (now Skybeam) in Argyle and it was pretty bad. We now have DSL in Valley View on a long'ish loop.

The one thing I would really like is faster upload speed. I think we already got most of what we can out of the technology though. On ADSL2+ AnnexM, fast path, 15/1 plan with Nortex Comm.:

13.72Mbps
1.38Mbps
19ms

I'm wary to switch back to something like wireless because of the high pings I encountered before and the terrible speed (at the time). It's hard to go from 35/35 FiOS to DSL.

Review by Rbacke See Profile

• Location: Glenwood Springs,Garfield,CO
Good "It good to be gone from Skybeam"
Bad "Speeds, Reliablity, corporate resposiblitly"
Overall "Use anyone else-even phone lines can be faster"

My previous post outlines poor speed and service- titled Pathetic. After discontinuing service with,Skybeam they demanded the equipment I purchased from a previous carrier. I finally gave in and told them to come and get the equipment I purchased. (time is money and i could not waste anymore time arguing). The icing on the cake is that after setting up a pick up date, I was notified the morning of the pick up that a tech would be by in 15 minutes. 1 hour and 45 minutes later the tech arrived. Its almost as if they try to irritate on purpose. Again, I would suggest to the employees of Skybeam to set up a meeting with management about the numerous problems that they are experiencing. This kind of service can (and the others on this website) ruin a company.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Breaking rules

Creating a new account to create a second review for the same company has got to be breaking DSLR rules

Review by musela See Profile

• Location: Moody,Mclennan,TX
Good "from 3 a.m. to 4 p.m."
Bad "from 4 p.m. to 3 a.m."
Overall "Skybeam sucks since they took over local company"

I live out in the country so we're very limited to what internet provider is out here. Satellite was ridiculously slow and very expensive so when we were finally able to get a Fixed Wi-Fi access at our place I was excited. It was a local company called Centex Wi-Fi. Great customer support and Internet access was great with up to 7 MB dl / 5 MB ul. I was even able to play games online and watch movies online with no problems.

That was until Skybeam took over. What I found weird was when they bought out Centex Wi-Fi, I was using the same radio and was pointed at the same tower. Basically, just a name change. Until I started to notice the change in speed.

My download and upload speeds lowered to 1.5 MB/512kb. As soon as I was able to upgrade, I went to Skybeam's highest plan (3 MB/1MB). From then on, my access has degraded. I averaged about less than 1MB/ 0.20 kb. I've had the techs come out about 4 times now, It would have been more, but support would rather try to troubleshoot over the phone. I don't know how many times I need to unplug/restart my "blackbox" or router before they figure out it's not on my end.

I just recently upgraded to the 5 MB/1MB plan thinking it would help... NOPE! Yesterday, starting from the time I got home till I went to bed, I had speeds of 0.14 MB download with 0.00 kb upload. OH, but when I got up in the morning and checked I was getting 5MB/1MB (so while I'm at work, I get the best speeds??). I called that night too to have a tech come out. Of course, it was set up for Friday. But I got a call today, while I was at work, asking if the tech could come now. So I obliged and head to the house... check the speeds and oh, it's working fine. He gets there does speed check with his almighty notebook... and he gets 7MB dl / 4 MB up. WTF? It's because his notebook doesn't have limits... (but I thought the highest plan I can get is 5/1???)...

Anyway, so the tech shows up speeds are good. He does some "tweaking" and he's on his way. No sooner does he leave my driveway, I check speeds and it's down to 1.5/0.60... GRRR. He was here between 3-4. 4:15 rolls around and the Internet slows down. I've heard of "peak" times, but this is ridiculous. The tech says he finds it odd that I get such slows speeds (I showed him my speed tests from the previous night) even at peak times. He's surprised. (Wow, really? *sarcasm*) I know what it is, the tower's over-subscribed and Skybeam won't do a thing about it.

I'm pissed that this is what we're left with. If a company is going to take over another company, shouldn't they try to do better? I've worked for companies that have either merged or were bought out, and they've succeeded not failed.

What the h***, Skybeam? As soon as I'm able to find another ISP, I'm dropping you like a hot potato.

The only good experience I've had with Skybeam is the friendly phone tech support (even though I'm on hold for awhile, but they do allow for call back) and the ones that come to the house. Other than that, the Internet that is provided is crap. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Does anyone know of a better ISP around the Moody/Mother Neff area?

~Frustrated