planet connect page on DSLReports

Review by Kosta1605 See Profile

• Location: Sevierville,Sevier,TN
Good "None"
Bad "Too many to type"
Overall "Worst in the business."

Our service was great the first few months we signed up. Over time the speeds got slower and slower and now its to the point where we are getting speeds slower then 56k dial up. My ping/latency is always 500-1000 and they say where I'm at ( I have one of the best location according to James for their internet.) I should ping around 30-40 ms. I know what they speak of is true because like I said our first few months of service with them were amazing. We did get 30-40 ms and our download speed of 1.5 mbps. Then one day there was a power outage on their tower and the net has never been the same since. I've called them numerous times trying to get some help and they do a run around every time."They'll look into it more and watch my connection and see what they can do." So after I sent in a ticket through their website and got no response for a month I called in again. He says from what he sees their I should have great service and be able to do whatever I want (game stream netflix, and download in a timely manner.) sadly I cant do any of that. If I try to game servers normally wont even ping (meaning they are 1000+ higher in latency) and if I am able to connect I'll just lag out instantly. As for netflix it just sits and loads....and loads....and loads.....and loads.....and loads....I think you see where I'm going with this. All I can suggest is if you are in an area like I am where you really dont have a choice but to go with planet connect do it, but don't get their highspeed stuff and think its going to be highspeed. I suggest getting their 56k dial up cause their so called 2.0mbps download with 30-40 ms runs just as fast as 56k dial up internet. Don't wast your time or money.

Comments:

Review by Ndakota See Profile

• Location: Seymour,Sevier,TN
Good "Use to be fast"
Bad "Bad customer service"
Overall "Only get.... if it's your only choice"

Many years of good service is starting to go down hill. I singed up with these folks in the beginning. Speeds were pretty good until they started over selling the service and then decided to slow current customers down to crowd in more.

Service has always been hit and miss. Some times you would loose service for a few hours up to a week. Always the same excuses when you call..."You are the only one that has called to complain". All the time knowing they are lying because three of my friends are also not getting internet of the same tower.

No warning when they do work on the radios, no updates when they plan on moving the radios to a new tower and customers are just left hanging not knowing that they need to re-aim their antenna when they move the equipment from one tower to another.

Several times I have been down for a week with no updates. I never got a discounted rate or a "sorry" from them either.

Customer service is a joke.Very rude and condescending techs that talk to you like you are dumb and act like you are wasting their time while never solving your problem.

Anyways....now they cut our speed in half (or more) so they can sell more slots on the towers instead of doing what their website says:
"Unlike the cable modems, multiple towers can be used in the same town to increase the bandwidth in each area. As the system gets crowded this technique will open additional bandwidth to keep the speed from slowing down."

Bottom line: Shame in you Planet Connect for such sorry service!!!!!

Comments:

Review by avwa See Profile

• Location: Sevierville,Sevier,TN
Good "Was OK for a short time"
Bad "Bad service, untrained reps, constant problems, lame excuses"
Overall "In it for the money. Once they get it, customer service is over."

From planetc website:
The Planet Connect Wireless system can operate at speeds up to 11,000,000 bits per second. This is normally referred to as 11 Mbits which is short for 11 megabits.

We've NEVER gotten anywhere near half that.

Also from planetc website:
Each user of the system shares the bandwidth of their channel with other users, therefore the total speed and bandwidth available to each users will vary depending on the number of people downloading at the same time and the speed of the Internet at that time. This is the same technique that is used by cable modems since a central signal passes every home on the cable and each users data is mixed in with everyone’s data. Unlike the cable modems, multiple towers can be used in the same town to increase the bandwidth in each area. As the system gets crowded this technique will open additional bandwidth to keep the speed from slowing down.

This is how they're selling it & what we paid for but not what we're getting.
A very controlled Bait & Switch?

Was told by Planetc Rep our speeds were now being limited so more users could "dip into the same pool".
This was the last of three weeks of lame excuses from them while trying to get answers to the ongoing problems we've been experiencing.
Was also told we could get our speeds back up by spending more money.

Also from planetc website:
If you download large files frequently or download large areas in Newgroups, broadband connections would help your situation

Sounds like a good reason to purchase their service, right?
It was in the beginning but now am being told by their Rep that, since they slowed our speeds, I would be required to reduce my sent file sizes.
This also means the files sent to us by others would need to be reduced in size.
Here's some news - REDUCING GRAPHICS FILE SIZES REDUCES QUALITY.

We're now at less than half the speeds we were before (way below the national average and the third worst speeds in our area) so more money will get us... WHAT?

Comments:

Review by pipdad See Profile

• Location: Dandridge,Jefferson,TN
Good "Not much now that i've had service for six months"
Bad "NO reliable connection. Loss of signal numerous times per day."
Overall "Like throwing money out the window."

Well, despite a solid beginning in which my service was outstanding over a 3 month period....the last 3 months have been nothing short of a nightmare.

I have constant disconnects, ranging up to five or six per hour and despite contacting tech support, the ONLY responses I ever get are one of the following...

1) We'll reboot the tower for you, reboot your system and it should clear up the problem...which it never does.

2) We're monitoring the situation. (for 3 months with no fix?)

3) We don't know what the problem is, our signal is fine here.

I have to say, I raved about this service when I first got it and it was deserving. I had a steady signal for 3 months before the bottom completely fell out. They simply refuse to check my amplifier I paid 200 dollars for to see if there's a problem with it. They always have one of the above excuses followed by some reference towards they're going to upgrade their equipment or replace this or replace that, none of which ever takes place.

When they close the doors on saturday, i'm guaranteed to have virtually no service longer than 10 minute intervals all weekend long.

It's too bad, it was a great thing when it worked but now that it doesn't, they just simply either (a) don't have a clue how to fix their own equipment, or (b) don't want to spend the money to fix it and give me the service i'm paying for.

As far as i'm concerned, it's like throwing money out the window.

If they ever get their act together and take care of business and their customers, i'll update my review yet again.