dccnet page on DSLReports

Review by RtFusion See Profile

• Location: Delta,BC
Good "Incredibly fast download speeds, high bandwith caps (up and down, 60GB)"
Bad "Slow uploads, but doesn't bother me, no spam filter (don't mind since I don't get alot of it)"
Overall "Great service, fastest thing in Delta, B.C."

Well, I have been with DCCnet for a while not, I think about 4 or 5 years. I moved from Telus (good for phones, terrible for internet service) because I had numerous problems with their customer service and assistance with their modems. I had serious connection problems with their modems and I had to phone them about 14 times until a service technician came to fix a the aging phone line in my house that was being used for the DSL.

Unfortunately, he didn't fix all the lines for the DSL connection when my computer was moved to a different room. I had it with Telus so I moved to DCCnet.

With them, there are no softwares to install (unlike Telus), pretty much plug n' play with their COM21 modems. (unless you already have the network/ethernet drivers on your computer already, you'd have to find them yourself or ask the technician to help and install the drivers on your computer in order to use the connection properly). Speed is not determined with distance (at least to my knowledge) with cable. It is much faster and reliable, no need for the phone lines.

Very agreeable bandwidth caps per months, surcharges are not such a headache, and they don't bother the customer (ie phone calls). Only time they would phone is to give your unique ID number to use to monitor your bandwith usage on their site.

Also, the speed of the connection is only limited by your computer speed, so all you need is a decent computer to experience really high speed connections.

I am very happy with my ISP and hope to stay with them for a lot longer. ^_^

Update: It has been almost more than a month since I and other DCCNET customers has gotten the new Cable Modems. From 2.5Mbps to a solid 4.6Mbps down for me. No extra cost either and still a happy customer with them.

Comments:

Review by FaxCap See Profile

• Location: Delta,BC
Good "FAST and reliable plus excellent tech support!"
Bad "Mail server has acted up a couple of times and I hope they add a SPAM filter one of these days."
Overall "I am VERY happy with DCCNET.COM and see no reason to switch to ADSL."

·Shaw
One phone call was all it took to order my connection. The Installer showed up right on time. He ran a new cable from the box outside all the way to my pc.
Connection was a no brainer. The modem is a Com21 which is about twice the size of the modern ones but who can argue with 6500 speed tests?!

I have seen download speeds well over 6000 yet even in "prime time" speeds rarely drop below 4000. Of the 2 or 3 outages in the 2 1/2 years I have been using DCCNET 1 was a car hitting a telephone pole and bring down the cable, another was a huge power outage in Ladner where their offices are and the 3rd was a server problem. They didn't have any control over 2 of those.

I had a short period last summer when my speeds dropped through the floor for about 2 weeks. I phoned tech support and started running and logging speed tests at DCCNET's request. Before the agreed on time line for the tests was up the speeds came back up and are even better now than they were before.

When I first started using ZoneAlarm I had some questions about some of the higher level warnings ZA was logging. After talking to Tech support one day I ended up getting an e:mail from the system admin!!! He had answers for questions the tech support guys couldn't answer. Colour me Impressed!

Even though the IP's are dynamic I have only had about 5 or 6 differnet IPs in the 2 1/2 years I have been on DCCNET. Two of those were when I shut the pc down while I was away for 2 weeks.

With Telus finished installing the Stinger/DSlams all over my area I was tempted to switch to ADSL 2.5 but the more people I talk to the more reasons I find to stay right where I am with DCCNET! I have buddies in NZ who can't believe the download speed test results I get. Even what I concider a poor test at 3500 they think is incredible.

Keep up the great work Delta Cable.....DCCNET is Excellent!

[UPDATE] - Have you seen some of the speeds I have been getting lately?! How
could anyone NOT be totally happy with DCCNET! I would like to see DCCNET
start doing a bit of SPAM filtering however. Still a happy DCCNET customer!

[Update-2] - Lot of water under the bridge since the 1st review and the Update. Had some trouble with slow speeds. Still faster than ADSL but compared to what I was used to they were S L O W.

Contacted Dccnet....ran a bunch of speed tests over a range of times during the day and night. Sent the tests back to them. They ended up changing my modem to a Docsis Motorola. That pretty well locked the speeds in at 4800Down 480UP. The 480 UP can be a bit of a pain at times but I can live with it. Help Desk support is still excellent. All in all I'm still happy. Eastlink bought them a couple of years ago. I see Horizon Comms doing updates on Dccnet's hardware all the time. Hopefully with the addition of more bandwidth for more HDTV channels we'll see faster Internet speeds also. They have just recently added SPAM filtering...about time I say.

Keep up the good work DCCNET.

member for 12.3 years, 2787 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by niglings See Profile

Good "Good Download/Upload speeds"
Bad "One fixed priced, no option to select faster speed"
Overall "All around pretty good."

Before 2007 I was getting 6mb download and 200k upload max, 2.5mb download 200kupload during peaktimes.

Around christmas time they did some kind of upgrade in my area and I was still using Com21 modems, my speeds were now 1500 download/ 50k upload. It went like this for 4months or so, (you cannot go on xboxlive with only 50k upload, voice communication will be choppy). I called tech support and they had a technician come in and check my lines. They replaced the outside lines with new ones going into my house and replaced my modem with the new Motorola ones. As of writing this review I am now getting 4600 download and 472 upload consistently, I tested this at 6pm prime time and 3am in the morning, speeds did NOT fluctuate what so ever (could be because I live in a farming area or they actually did a proper upgrade to the lines last year).

The tech guy told me that the new modem is capped at 5k download and 500k upload. So I lost 1.5k download but gained 300k upload, which I'm happy to trade for.

The only complaint I have is that they have a fixed price. I would gladly pay $100 for 25mb download 1k upload and 150gig capped download similar to what shaw offers. Currently we can only download/upload 62gigs a month (without being charged extra) The positive side though is that for the past 6yrs that I've had DccNet I've probably only gone down maybe 4 times for an extended period of time.

Comments:

Review by R__S__D See Profile

• Location: Delta,BC
Good "Faster downloads than Telus"
Bad "SLOW uploads ~16KBps"
Overall "Good for downloading, Telus is better for online gaming because of faster upload"

Update: 2/26/2006
total download cap has been raised to 32gigs up and down but over the last few months ive been downloading about40gbs a month and no surcharges.
decent newsgroup service as well outsourced from supernews.com

Comments:

Review by alex4life See Profile

• Location: Delta,BC
Good "Fast, reliable, and excellent tech support"
Bad "Monthly download limits, no spam filtering for e-mail"
Overall "Great service!"

I've had cable internet from DCCNET for almost 3 years, and I have almost no complaints.

The speeds are great on the download side, averaging about 2500 kbits, but going as high as 6000 in the middle of the night. It usually slows down during peak hours, but rarely goes below 1500. The upload, however, isn't as good. It usually only averages around 192 kbits. It's most likely from congestion on the network than actually being limited to that speed, because I once got 786 in the wee hours of the morning one day last summer.

Uptime has be excellent. I can't even recall the last time I had even a momentary outage. There were some problems in the summer of 2000, but they were sorted out in a few weeks, and speeds jumped dramatically.

Tech support is fantastic. I e-mailed them once, asking if there were any known network issues because I had been getting some slow speeds, and I recieved a response the next day, informing me that there were no known problems. They also urged me to phone them to troubleshoot my computer. As the problems seemed to disappear, I didn't need to. I remember my dad had to call tech support once, and there was no wait time whatsoever. I guess that's the advantage of having an ISP that's based in, and only services your town and a few other areas.

Pre-sales information is a bit spotty on their web site, but there is a number to call if you have any specific questions about the service. Time from order to install was a bit long, but I think they were backed up because so many people were signing up. However, the install itself was done very professionally with no problems whatsoever.

The big downside is that it is limited to 5 gigabytes download per month, and 1 gigabyte upload. It isn't bad for me and my family, however, because we are usually well below the limit. For some, it may be an issue, as well as the price of additional bandwidth. $20 per extra gig downloaded, $40 per gig uploaded.

Modem is a Com21, but a non DOCSIS model. IP is dynamic, but I had the same IP for almost 9 months earlier this year.

All in all, and excellent service. I'm very happy, and so are everyone I know who has the service.

[UPDATE]

DCCNET just increased the monthly limits to 10 gigs down / 3 gigs up per month, so I have to add some points there. They alse changed the price for going over the limit to $5 per gig, for both upload a download. I'm glad to see some companies are progressive and upgrading what their customers get.

[UPDATE]

Another increase to a combined 32 gigs up and down per month. Not too bad. Unfortunately there have been some connection issues lately, and daytime slowdowns. Probably due to all the bittorrent people going nuts with the new caps. Oh well, I will give them a chance to get their act together and get the speeds back up to normal in my area.

[UPDATE FEB 26 2006]

Been having an awful lot of issues lately. Speed tests have been rock bottom, barely topping 1000/100 kbps. Sometimes I get random disconnects, and sometimes I can barely even load web pages. I'm not sure whats going on, as people in other areas have no complaints. I think maybe my area has been oversold, and they need to add another node here or something. Too many people using bittorrent during the day, I bet, with the new download caps. If things don't pick up in a week or two, I may have to phone to complain, or lower my review of the company.

member for 13.2 years, 3686 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by Greydog See Profile

• Location: Sechelt,BC
Good "Very little disruption of Service"
Bad "Can become slower than dial up at certain times"
Overall "Has been a fairly reliable service that actually is better than Telus ADL"

I have had this service for about the past year and a half after moving to the coast from the Fraser Valley. In the valley i had Telus ADSL and was very happy with it but after experiencing Cable I was pleasantly suprised and rather happy that Telus was not available to me in this area DCCNET has been consistently faster than my experience with telus adsl. The Techs have been very helpful when needed and very knowlegable. The cost is about 10 dollars more expensive but overall i feel it has been money well spent

Comments:

Review by stupidie See Profile

• Location: Delta,BC
Good "Great Speed, Great Support, Great Service"
Bad "Miserable Customers Relations, Miserable Download/Upload Limit"
Overall "Good Overall ISP but still needs to work on a few important aspects"

Pro:
- Speed: All in all, dccnet provides some of the fastest speed i've ever seen. In comparison to other isp in the lower mainland, dccnet provides the most consistent and reliable broadband in terms of overall bandwidth. Short of having your own T1/T3/OC3 line, i don't see how one could complain about dccnet's speed. And i have compared it with numerous friends, who use telus, shaw/rogers, ubc/sfu broadband, etc. So my comparison is relative to theirs.

- Support: No complaints at all with their support, everytime i've called someone has responded in a timely manner, whether be email or phone. They have always tried their best to solve the problems.

- Service: In terms of reliable and consistent service, dccnet is right up there, i've rarely had any down time in my 5+ years. Although when there is, there isn't an alternative (ie 56k access number) which would be a nice feature for those who rely on dccnet for business. But overall, i'd be hard pressed to complain.

Cons:
- Customers Relations: I've been with delta cable for 20+ years and dccnet for 5+ years and in all my days, there hasn't been any benefits to being a loyal and steadfast customer. And what would make this good company great is a vast improvement in CR, how hard is it to reward a loyal customer with some benefits? Their lack of CR most likely stems from their history as being a monopoly in the delta area, but today, we do have alternatives (albeit not all of us) and delta cable/dccnet needs to stop acting like a monopoly and give reasons for people to stay with them.

- Download/Upload Limit: I know there has been quite a debate over whether or not the download/upload limit is appropriate but in my view, it would be nice of them to introduce different packages with different limits. I, for one, do use quite a bit of bandwidth, and am always in fear of going over the limit, which does impead on the whole experience. It would be great if they would just lift the limit for us reasonable users, who by no means abuse the service by running servers, etc. And yes i am aware that other isp do have limit as well, but for fact, i know they are not inforced unless it is abused.

One last thing:
- Montly costs: $40 for 10 gigs d/l + 3 gigs u/l
For additional bandwith/upload the cost is: $5 per Gig
So if you go over the limit by 10 gigs d/l + 3 gigs u/l it would cost: 10*5 + 3*5 = $65

So if it cost $65 more for double the bandwidth, why wouldn't you just get two accounts ($40 + $40), which would be cheaper than paying $65 + $40?

I think this just illustrates the absurdity of their download/upload policies. Apparently they haven't heard about economies of scale.

Overall:
I am trying to be as unbiased as possible, and don't get me wrong, it may seem like a negative review but in reality i am very satistified with Dccnet and would not trade it in for any alternative (eventhough i've got none).

member for 10 years, 0 visits, last login: 10 years ago

Comments:

Review by StoneGorilla See Profile

• Location: Sechelt,BC
Good "Okay speed."
Bad "10 gb download cap is STUPID and 3 gig upload cap is even STUPIDER"
Overall "I hate you DCCnet, with a passion."

Stay away from this shoddy ISP, they don't know how to do anything right. Their employees are dumb as nails. One week, my internet was going extremely slow and going on and off, I had asked my friend if they experienced the same thing, and they did. I phone DCCnet and inform them about this, and they just say 'I'TS NOT OUR FAULT, IT'S YOUR COMPUTER'.

10 gb download/3 gig upload a month is just plain idiotic. The only reason they still have customers is because there are no other ISPs in this area. Never,ever,ever,ever,ever consider using this stupid ISP.

member for 10 years, 1 visits, last login: 10 years ago

Comments:

Review by grayhawk See Profile

• Location: Delta,BC
Good "SPEED!!!!! SPEED!!! and service."
Bad "No spam filter / discounts for new customers only - loyal existing clients get diddly!!"
Overall "Simply the best"

Have been a client for the past four and a half years, and repair computers for a living, so am familiar with all local ISP's. My experiences together with horror stories told to me by my clients leave no doubt in my mind that Dccnet.com is simlpy the best ISP around!!

Service is first class, usually with a real human being answering the phone on almost every attempt! Even better, they all know their stuff, know how to listen, and are professional yet friendly in attitude - a far cry from the majority of techs I have been forced to deal with. Kudos to them all!

Outages are really not an issue, with only three of any consequence that I can remember, and a relatively generousl rebate having been offered on the only substantial one - which lasted for 3 days. The company is constantly upgrading equipment, with the end result being line speeds even faster now than when I signed up, with less decrease of speed during peak periods. Indeed, line speed during those peak periods rarely falls below the maximum speeds achieved by the competing adsl and cable providers. On a good night, 8mb/sec line speeds and 1000K+ downloads are unbelievable but not unusualy rare. Take note game players and Kazaa users.

A spam filter would be helpful, but I do not consider the lack of one to be any hardship. Therefore my only beef, albeit a small one, would be the deep discounts ($24.95/mo for 6 months) which are offered to new customers in order to compete with the other ISP's. Is it out of line to feel miffed that we loyal, existing customers, who have dutifully paid our $40.00/mo for years, receive no recognition whatsoever? It's a small point, but some thanks would do wonders for public relations, and would probably increase new sign-ups as we would be even more satisfied with Dccnet and would sing their praises even more!

Having said that, I must reiterate, that to me it is absurd that anyone would live in Delta and not use Dccnet for their broadband connection!! Why settle for slower speeds and indifferent service?

Kudos also to Dslreports, the best broadband info. site on the planet

Comments:

Review by cudaken See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Fast ,reliable and Great Tech Support"
Bad "No web based mail service"
Overall "The only good broadband isp in the area."

O.K. I had Dccnet for three and a half years so I thought it was about time to write a review.

As far as the install went it was great, they had a self install option where just a cable tech comes out runs the line and leaves the modem. The computer set-up is up to me which I prefered. No complaints on the cable tech, he was on time and did a nice neat job. The settings are really simple, no software or anything, for which I was glad at the time, because I had heard a horror story about Rogers (another cable company)and their @home software. Apparently you pretty much have to reformat to get rid of it.

The price is fair and is about the same as any other broadband in Canada. The only other option in my area that i`m aware of is Telus Adsl. I won`t bad mouth Telus too bad because after all this is a review of Dccnet. Let me just say i`m glad i`ve never been sucked in by any of their telemarketers, I haven`t heard too many good things about their service or reliability

For a small isp the customer service is second to none. Their help desk is open 24/7 and almost no wait any time i`ve called, maybe 15 minutes max. The cable tech I had seemed to know exactly what he was doing compared to other tradesman i`ve had in my house that didn`t seem to have a clue of what they were doing.

The modem I was left is a com21. I haven`t seen any other company using these but it seems to work great, Dccnet is almost always in the top ten fastest isp on dsl reports, so they must be doing something right. You have a dynamic ip, which isn`t really too bad because it never seems to change maybe once every 6 months or so. The download/upload caps are 10/3 which is reasonable i`ve never even come close, but i`m not a big gamer or anything. One bad point is that last time I checked there was no web based mail service.

All in all the best isp i`ve ever had and I don`t plan on switching any time soon.

member for 11.7 years, 251 visits, last login: 2.7 years ago