igs.net page on DSLReports

Review by JeanInNepean See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Service was excellent through the years"
Bad "Few billing issues, difficult to reach tech staff after Cybersurf acquired them, bad service after account sold to Distributel"
Overall "Sad story of how a great ISP I loved"

I had been a happy customer of IGS since June 1995. I was their customer #100. Back then, it was only dial up. But when they started offering DSL, I readily made the switch.

My DSL connection, though limited to 3Mbps, was reliable for years rarely losing sync for more than a few minutes at a time (I'd say once a week). There was a few problems with billing (2 in 10 years I think) however.

After IGS got acquired by Cybersurf, my connection continued to be as reliable as before. Really couldn't complain, other than calling IGS tech support directed you to Cybersurf who then have to re-transfer the call to IGS...

But earlier this year (April 2012), my account was transferred to Distributel. Right off, I was "upgraded" to the 6M service. That meant I had to pay 6$/month extra, and yet I wouldn't get more than 3Mbps anyway because of the crappy connection I had to the CO. On top of that, Distributel assigned me a dynamic IP address and double billed me for the last 2 weeks of IGS service I had already paid. I sent emails to their billing department but never got a reply. I don't care, that was just 18$ anyway. After calling their tech staff, they gave me a new static IP address.

There's always a few glitches that happen when there's a switch of company like this. But the worst part was my once-reliable DSL connection started losing sync several times a day. Sometimes I'd be on the (VoIP) phone and the connection would just go. Sometimes I have to physically reboot the ADSL modem to get the connection back.

At the end of July I'd had enough of this crap. I decided to cancel my service and try another one (TekSavvy). When I called customer service, I was told that the payment for the next billing cycle had already gone through and couldn't be stopped or refunded (!?!)... So I suffered one final month of their crappy service.

The 30$ fees was for the 3M connection with included unlimited internet access (no cap) and a static IP address. It did not include the modem which I had bought. Distributel's 6M was 36$/month and did not normally include the static IP address.

member for 1.9 years, 538 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dspector See Profile

• Location: Montreal, QC
Good "Great support, installation and reliability."
Bad "Horrible accounting practices, see updated review."
Overall "IGS may be the best bang for your buck."

UPDATE: I have since left IGS due to more and more billing issues. They used to not charge Quebec users PST tax due to legally not requiring it because they don't have a registered business in this province. The implemented the new tax without telling their clients. I also was not charged for several months and then they expected me to pay one bulk payment because of their accounting mistakes. Also they decided to add a paper invoice charge without telling the customer. Completely unacceptable. I have moved to teksavvy.

Old Review:After being with Sympatico for 4 years, then with Istop for 5 years, I have made my move to IGS.

I have been with them for 2 weeks now, and have tried out their service for a couple more during the previous months. The speeds, connectivity and pings are fantastic thus far.

The transition between Istop and IGS was seemless. I ordered Istop to disconnect me for the 31st, and had IGS activate me for the very same day. I did not experience any downtime during this period. IGS even activated my account a week before actual line activation so that I could log into their network before they gained control of my line.

Only slightly negative points I have seen thus far is with their email address system. It uses a city subdomain for the address. I am in Montreal, and because they do not have a subdomain for montreal my email address is *@gta.igs.net. Support has informed me that this may be removed in the future. Luckily, I do not use them for my primary email address so I cannot hold this against them.

Another thing to be weary about is that they have a bandwith cap on their News servers. After you exceed this cap you'll be cut off from the groups for the month. Luckily once again I do not use news groups so this I also cannot hold against them.

member for 12.1 years, 1950 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by MichaelS19 See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Servers Allowed, Knowledgable Techs, Reliable Connection"
Bad "Non-existant tech support/billing dept, PPPOE disconnects frequently"
Overall "Used to be a good company, but no longer"

I am sad to say that I need to update this review...

It appears that ever since IGS got bought out by Avalonworks / Cybersurf / 3web, the whole company has gone DOWNHILL. I have noticed that their Radius Server keeps dropping my DSL connection. I also noticed that often when I call, the IVR tells me that all the Agents are on the line and to call back...

I also have an outstanding billing issue that I reported early January that has still been unaddressed where I was grossly overcharged on my VISA. I have called at least 10 times within the past month and haven't gotten anywhere.

I will be cancelling my Service very shortly and getting VISA involved...

Comments:

Review by bknonix9 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything."
Overall "Avoid them ! ! !"

Well, 2 years into an IGS relationship and I am leaving.

When I went there two years ago, they were the top of the heap for ratings and the transition was seemless. My service response went up, my disconnect issues went away and I was happy.

I ran into some unique issues when I was putting some heavy load on the line with VoIP and VPNs, and tech support was always there to help.

Then the change. Cybersurf / CIA / 3Web (don't know which, don't care anymore) started to implement the changes and IGS customers are obviously the ugly stepchild that nobody cares about.

The problems I have encountered that are getting worse day by day...
- email accounts just disappearing and then reappearing
- performance of line (was a reliable 2800+/720 is now hit and miss, sometimes less than 800/200).
- tech support is non-existent
- calls get you routed to 3web who tell you they cannot help IGS customers
- email messages going missing totally
- email messages when they do get through taking hours, if not days

My advise to anybody thinking of going to this company, RUN.
For those of you with IGS, RUN.

Comments:

Review by steelrat See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "So far from the upgrade from Istop, it's been relatively good over time. Performance has been good. The static IP was transferre"
Bad "Outages, there have been a few unfortunately recently with some authentication issues with the PPPoE"
Overall "Recommended them to a few guys at this point."

Static IP -- transferred from Istop
PPPoE isn't bad.... but there have been authentication issues.

Performance -- I'm getting as close to the advertised 3meg as possible, with the current line dissions.

Unforutnately there have been some outages, but over all a lot more stable than Istop was.

Have recommended them in past.

Comments:

Review by nekkidtruth See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Consistent, reliable, low price, and best of all, no caps. Technical Support has improved drastically!"
Overall "This ISP is great for users looking for a reliable ISP and don't care too much about support. (Advanced Users)"

·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I've been with IGS since July 2002. I switched because Sympatico implemented unreasonable caps.

I received my modem from IGS 3 days after I ordered, and the service was up 5 days after I placed my order. I called them the same night because I had no experience with the modem I received and I was frustrated to find there was ONE person working the support desk, and he did not know how to help me. His response was, "Call back tomorrow.". When I explained that this was not acceptable, he laughed at me. Literally. Needless to say that was the worse experience I'd had with support, with IGS as well as any other company.

My service has been solid from day 1 and I never experience slow downs. My speeds are as advertised and the only time I've experienced any issues with my connection, I was previously informed 2-5 days before by e-mail.

The only issues I've come across with billing is my service was cut off after 1 payment was late. It was 30 days late and they cut the service. Although I was frustrated and I let them know, I do understand and appreciate how it turned out. It reminded me to pay the bill and forces me to be prompt with the payment.

Overall IGS is an excellent ISP for most users. If you are not an Intermidiate/Advanced Internet user, this ISP may not be for your as their technical support is not up to par.

My payment of $54.10 includes:

1728/640 up/down.
Static IP address.
Modem Rental.

Update:

My service is still just as good as it was from day one

Update 02/22/06:

My service is still great. Although I'm having difficulties with Bell and upgrading my area, IGS has been fantastic and has helped along the way.

Update 10/08/06:

I've recently left IGS for Rogers. Bell refuses to upgrade the lines in my city so I was stuck with under 3 megabit service for over 5 years. IGS's services have also dropped DRAMATICALLY since being bought out.

member for 12.3 years, 3162 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Thanh See Profile

• Location: Pierrefonds,QC
Good "Unlimited"
Bad "Downtime + proxying + subpar routing"
Overall "Now an unstable and unreliable ISP"

Being part of that ISTOP > Cybersurf thing, I've been an IGS user since july and I now feel like I can review their services.

Quota: none, and they mean it.
Peering: outstanding (GT, Cogent, NAC & Peer1), if they could add MCI to the mix, it would be heaven
News: crappy but I don't need it
Port blocking: none
Email services: not using it

My connection is stable and fast at all time. Sure there has been some authentication glitches here and there but nothing important. A big + is that they have at least 2 employees on DSLR so it's a great way to get in touch with them.

UPDATE 2006/06/08: For the sake of data preservation, I left my previous review untouched. But since that raving review, things went down the drain with IGS/CyberSurf/Cyberus/3WEB. CyberSurf is in the process of migrating cable users to the CyberSurf network, thus creating bottlenecks. To help alleviate bandwidth issues, they proxyied web access without warning. Also, that web proxy had terrible performance.

From 3 providers, they're now down to 2. GT + Cogent is decent but it really lacks a 3rd one for added reliability. IGS used to be a fine ISP, now things are deteriorating and I'm about to switch all my accounts to another ISP (possibly rocler.com).

member for 12.9 years, 1411 visits, last login: 195 days ago

Comments:

Review by drewfar See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Servers allowed, no caps."
Bad "Since Cybersurf bought out IGS speeds and pings have been inconsistent."
Overall "I'm still getting what I need for a decent price."

I'm still with IGS to this day, it's been for somewhere around 5 years now.

Unfortunately they have recently been taken over by a company called Cybersurf. Since the Cybersurf takeover reliability has gone down. It used to be fast 24/7, but since the takeover there have been random slowdowns here and there, and more than anything pings have deteriorated. For me the speed consistency is not as reliable as before, but still within reasonable limits.

I haven't dealt with support since my last review, so I'll leave that part in the review as follows:

"The staff at IGS is very helpful, and their network admin seems to be a regular here DSLreports, and helps out with any issues that members may have. I recently was able to get a /28 subnet at an excellent price by talking with him, the setup was fast and painless, and my reverse DNS setup requests were quickly dealt with.

Servers are no problem, and having this subnet is even an extra bonus on top of that having a bunch of usable public IP's. No blocked ports, and I have run my mail (POP, SMTP), www, ftp, ssh, servers ever since I've been with IGS with no problems."

It's saddening to also see the techs that used to post around here not posting anymore, I'm not sure if this is a management decision or what, or if they're even at the company anymore. It was certainly nice seeing that the company cared for the customers. Cybersurf doesn't seem to. Thankfully, I'm still allowed to run servers as mentioned above, still have my reverse DNS, no blocked ports, etc, hopefully it stays this way.

Overall, I'm still pleased with IGS, but it's a shame to see such a great ISP being slowly destroyed by a larger company. Hopefully there isn't any more deterioration of the company or I'd consider switching. It's unfortunate though that switching is somewhat a pain, especially with the mail server I run.

member for 11.9 years, 2343 visits, last login: 109 days ago

Comments:

Review by fink See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "used to be reliable, w/consistent speeds, no extra software to install."
Bad "They now use a caching proxy.. creates problems with some websites. Terrible newsgroup completion/retention"
Overall "No longer worth the money, barely competent tech support, but if you use newsgroups you'll need to subscribe to one yourself."

·VMedia
·TekSavvy Cable
They supply the modem, in my case a speedtouch 510 for ten dollars/mo. but I think they're now supplying newer modems. Mine works fine and the average speed is
2400/650 Kb/s down/up. On the few occasions I've had connection or slowdown problems they've been attentive and fixed it quickly... doesn't happen often though.

email service is good and relativley spamless partly because of my email habits, partly because of their "spam assasin" software and partly because spammers generally don't bother with smaller to mid sized ISPs.

NEW INFO-

As of May 2006 IGS is using a caching proxy. This is NOT a good thing and I'm now forced to warn others that they may no longer be able to reach or properly use certain websites like Rapidshare.de and possibly ebay or paypal which won't allow use of proxies. Beware and have a look at this thread..

»IGS now using a caching proxy...

I'm finding a new ISP.

member for 12 years, 2195 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by aly7 See Profile

Good "server friendly, competent tech support"
Bad "problematic and slow installation"
Overall "good for general use, great for technical users"

My order was: 35/month 3 MBit service, 10/month static IP, 10/month modem rental.

The order was confirmed, and I was told to expect a package in 4-5 days. About a week later I asked about the order status, I was told they forgot about my order and would be sending the modem that day. When I received the package there was no manual or instruction sheet, fortunately I had an existing connection and could follow the online guide. I had a couple of other problems as well: the modem was not configured the way I requested in the order (minor hassle), my IP was not static (10 min call to tech support).

Despite my horrible experience with installation they do seem to care about their customers. Tech support was surprisingly helpful. I haven't been with them long enough to make any claims about their speed or reliability but so far everything looks good. I really like the fact that they offer static IPs (although $10 seems a bit much, but I'm not entirely sure of what's involved), they are also willing to let you play around with your reverse DNS (haven't tried yet). I don't use up very much bandwidth but I'm sure other will be happy about not having any caps.

I doubt they can compete with other ISPs in absolute speed, but at $35/month they have relatively low pricing, and they also have several options for those of us wanting to run servers. I would recommend them in general, and strongly recommend them to anyone techincally inclined.