igs.net page on DSLReports

Review by dspector See Profile

• Location: Montreal, QC
Good "Great support, installation and reliability."
Bad "Horrible accounting practices, see updated review."
Overall "IGS may be the best bang for your buck."

UPDATE: I have since left IGS due to more and more billing issues. They used to not charge Quebec users PST tax due to legally not requiring it because they don't have a registered business in this province. The implemented the new tax without telling their clients. I also was not charged for several months and then they expected me to pay one bulk payment because of their accounting mistakes. Also they decided to add a paper invoice charge without telling the customer. Completely unacceptable. I have moved to teksavvy.

Old Review:After being with Sympatico for 4 years, then with Istop for 5 years, I have made my move to IGS.

I have been with them for 2 weeks now, and have tried out their service for a couple more during the previous months. The speeds, connectivity and pings are fantastic thus far.

The transition between Istop and IGS was seemless. I ordered Istop to disconnect me for the 31st, and had IGS activate me for the very same day. I did not experience any downtime during this period. IGS even activated my account a week before actual line activation so that I could log into their network before they gained control of my line.

Only slightly negative points I have seen thus far is with their email address system. It uses a city subdomain for the address. I am in Montreal, and because they do not have a subdomain for montreal my email address is *@gta.igs.net. Support has informed me that this may be removed in the future. Luckily, I do not use them for my primary email address so I cannot hold this against them.

Another thing to be weary about is that they have a bandwith cap on their News servers. After you exceed this cap you'll be cut off from the groups for the month. Luckily once again I do not use news groups so this I also cannot hold against them.

member for 12.3 years, 1950 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by steelrat See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "So far from the upgrade from Istop, it's been relatively good over time. Performance has been good. The static IP was transferre"
Bad "Outages, there have been a few unfortunately recently with some authentication issues with the PPPoE"
Overall "Recommended them to a few guys at this point."

Static IP -- transferred from Istop
PPPoE isn't bad.... but there have been authentication issues.

Performance -- I'm getting as close to the advertised 3meg as possible, with the current line dissions.

Unforutnately there have been some outages, but over all a lot more stable than Istop was.

Have recommended them in past.

Comments:

Review by Thanh See Profile

• Location: Pierrefonds,QC
Good "Unlimited"
Bad "Downtime + proxying + subpar routing"
Overall "Now an unstable and unreliable ISP"

Being part of that ISTOP > Cybersurf thing, I've been an IGS user since july and I now feel like I can review their services.

Quota: none, and they mean it.
Peering: outstanding (GT, Cogent, NAC & Peer1), if they could add MCI to the mix, it would be heaven
News: crappy but I don't need it
Port blocking: none
Email services: not using it

My connection is stable and fast at all time. Sure there has been some authentication glitches here and there but nothing important. A big + is that they have at least 2 employees on DSLR so it's a great way to get in touch with them.

UPDATE 2006/06/08: For the sake of data preservation, I left my previous review untouched. But since that raving review, things went down the drain with IGS/CyberSurf/Cyberus/3WEB. CyberSurf is in the process of migrating cable users to the CyberSurf network, thus creating bottlenecks. To help alleviate bandwidth issues, they proxyied web access without warning. Also, that web proxy had terrible performance.

From 3 providers, they're now down to 2. GT + Cogent is decent but it really lacks a 3rd one for added reliability. IGS used to be a fine ISP, now things are deteriorating and I'm about to switch all my accounts to another ISP (possibly rocler.com).

member for 13.1 years, 1411 visits, last login: 267 days ago

Comments:

Review by drewfar See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Servers allowed, no caps."
Bad "Since Cybersurf bought out IGS speeds and pings have been inconsistent."
Overall "I'm still getting what I need for a decent price."

I'm still with IGS to this day, it's been for somewhere around 5 years now.

Unfortunately they have recently been taken over by a company called Cybersurf. Since the Cybersurf takeover reliability has gone down. It used to be fast 24/7, but since the takeover there have been random slowdowns here and there, and more than anything pings have deteriorated. For me the speed consistency is not as reliable as before, but still within reasonable limits.

I haven't dealt with support since my last review, so I'll leave that part in the review as follows:

"The staff at IGS is very helpful, and their network admin seems to be a regular here DSLreports, and helps out with any issues that members may have. I recently was able to get a /28 subnet at an excellent price by talking with him, the setup was fast and painless, and my reverse DNS setup requests were quickly dealt with.

Servers are no problem, and having this subnet is even an extra bonus on top of that having a bunch of usable public IP's. No blocked ports, and I have run my mail (POP, SMTP), www, ftp, ssh, servers ever since I've been with IGS with no problems."

It's saddening to also see the techs that used to post around here not posting anymore, I'm not sure if this is a management decision or what, or if they're even at the company anymore. It was certainly nice seeing that the company cared for the customers. Cybersurf doesn't seem to. Thankfully, I'm still allowed to run servers as mentioned above, still have my reverse DNS, no blocked ports, etc, hopefully it stays this way.

Overall, I'm still pleased with IGS, but it's a shame to see such a great ISP being slowly destroyed by a larger company. Hopefully there isn't any more deterioration of the company or I'd consider switching. It's unfortunate though that switching is somewhat a pain, especially with the mail server I run.

member for 12.1 years, 2343 visits, last login: 180 days ago

Comments:

Review by aly7 See Profile

Good "server friendly, competent tech support"
Bad "problematic and slow installation"
Overall "good for general use, great for technical users"

My order was: 35/month 3 MBit service, 10/month static IP, 10/month modem rental.

The order was confirmed, and I was told to expect a package in 4-5 days. About a week later I asked about the order status, I was told they forgot about my order and would be sending the modem that day. When I received the package there was no manual or instruction sheet, fortunately I had an existing connection and could follow the online guide. I had a couple of other problems as well: the modem was not configured the way I requested in the order (minor hassle), my IP was not static (10 min call to tech support).

Despite my horrible experience with installation they do seem to care about their customers. Tech support was surprisingly helpful. I haven't been with them long enough to make any claims about their speed or reliability but so far everything looks good. I really like the fact that they offer static IPs (although $10 seems a bit much, but I'm not entirely sure of what's involved), they are also willing to let you play around with your reverse DNS (haven't tried yet). I don't use up very much bandwidth but I'm sure other will be happy about not having any caps.

I doubt they can compete with other ISPs in absolute speed, but at $35/month they have relatively low pricing, and they also have several options for those of us wanting to run servers. I would recommend them in general, and strongly recommend them to anyone techincally inclined.

Comments:

Review by hawkeyejim See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Reliable, you can use your own modem and save $10/month."
Bad "Iffy Tech Support, poor website"
Overall "Good value, and anything is better than Bell Sympatico!"

I have been with IGS for more than 2 years, and I have had no major problems, or even minor ones for that matter. The occasional outage, and a few times I have had to reset my DSL modem, but other than that, I recommend them.

With my own modem I save $10.00 a month, so my bill is a measly $34.97/month.

member for 12.6 years, 114 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Laike See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Best Customer Support, Excellent Pings, No Caps"
Bad "Lousy speed, but it's not their fault"
Overall "Suggested to anyone looking for an alternative 3rd party ISP"

I am a first time DSL user, after five years with Rogers, the bit cap was the last straw. I went out ISP hunting, and pulled out IGS.net. My telephone number is unlisted, so I had to give them a call to double check my DSL availability, once I was given a confirmation, I was able to sign up for their 3.0 mbps service, and recieve a confirmation of my order that afternoon, about 4 hours later. The following Monday, my modem was shipped to my door step, and the instructions were already on the site on how to set up my DSL. If you do not have internet already, and try to sign up with IGS, things may be a little difficult, but it was fine anyways.

The modem was set up incorrectly, different on how it was posted on the site, so needing to call tech support right away had me rather worried, but the guys at IGS tech support were incredibly friendly and helpful, a stark contrast from Rogers Tech Support. I actually felt like the tech support cared about my problems and were trying to help. With in 10 minutes, I had my DSL up and running. The next day, I noticed that my speeds were about half of what was advertised, and gave them a call. With a bit of telephone tag with bell canada, we were able to trace the problem to the fact that the CO was nearly 5km away, and that the line was simply old and shoddy in my neighbourhood. Although they apologized over the fact very little could be done immedietly, and they couldn't give me a discount, they put in a ticket with Bell Canada anyways to see if a tech could do anything about impoving it slightly. Whilst trying to track the problem of my DSL, one of the techs gave me his extension and told me to call him directly after disconnecting my other telephones, instead of going through the waiting game on the normal lines. I recieved this type of high quality service from the three or four tech support staff I spoke to, and the two customer support staff I spoke to, the whole time. This made the whole frustrating experience much more bearable. I have nothing but praise for the staff at IGS.net, either they're spoiling me with good service, or I've simply become accustomed to low level of service, and customer appreciation.

The cost is actually quite decent, as I do not require a static IP. I have decided to rent the modem for a few months, before deciding to purchase the modem, as that will lower the price for me. Compared to the 50 some odd dollars I was paying for rogers a month, for shoddier services, and painful tech support, this is the best 40 something dollars spent.

Although currently my line can give me no better than 1.3 down / 800 up, I am still getting better latency on my gaming servers, and will be keeping IGS.net indefinitely. With any luck, bell will improve the DSL quality around here soon, and I'll be soon in high speed heaven.

Comments:

Review by J E F F See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Very fast for newscroups."
Bad "Slow on some sites."
Overall "Good value, especially if you own a modem,"

·Rogers Portable ..
Was given a try. I noticed that the newsgroups are 3 times faster then bells, Some site where a bit slower then Bell, but most speed tests were positive. Bell sent me another contract at a hugely reduced price....so I have to decline. IGS also has special services not provided by Bell, this might be worth your while to check in. I was very impressed when I was using it. Solid speeds, and some new record speeds at some sites. (giganews had me at 2515, which is max under this setup) Very friendly staff. Highly recommend. Thanks.

member for 10.6 years, 3874 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by craniax See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast (1432DL/306UP), Perfect New Spam Filter, Great Customer Service"
Bad "Sometimes slow to connect"
Overall "A great new choice? Time will tell."

I don't have a contract and am paying $45 a month (includes modem rental for $10/mnth) for 1500/300 (Latest test : 1432DL 306UPLD) service but will be getting a new promotion for 3000/900 service for the next while on my line for no extra charge. I live in a rural community which just received ADSL a few weeks ago. IGS (Avalonworks) have been great thus far. Great customer service, account setup is a whiz, they have a great SPAM FILTER! The filter is located on their mail server and you set it up online through the Ottawa IGS website. Although I started getting spam in the first few days, the filter has blocked all my SPAM perfectly. A great little tool which adds to the overall value of this ISP. I've only had service for about two weeks so it's still pretty early. Hopefully...

Comments:

Review by phantom66 See Profile

• Location: Acton,ON
Good "No caps, servers allowed, they continue to upgrade & improve"
Bad "Tech support hard to get ahold of sometimes"
Overall "I have had very little problems with this ISP, they're great"

I've been with IGS for several years now, and they have been quite reliable. While I have noted that their tech support is hard to get ahold of at times, this is something I have rarely had a need for... so it does not influence my review. In terms of services offered, and reliability of same, I rate IGS quite highly. Many other ISPs impose bandwidth caps, IGS does not. They allow servers, many do not. I own my own modem, many require you to rent. It's good value for the money.