Mountain Cable page on DSLReports

Review by rjrenholder See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Decent speeds for the price, fairly reliable"
Bad "Horrible office support"
Overall "If it's all that is available, take it."

I was originally a customer of Southmount Cable (now Source) for approximately 15 years. After moving to a new area, the local choice for television was Mountain Cable, which was fine, they've always provided good service and I had no issues.

Until Shaw came in.

After the purchase, the service provided has been fine (they've even upgraded the connection speeds) but when it comes to issues, forget about it. You'll be hung up on by the office staff, informed that you need to drive to the office for paper work, and generally treated like a piece of excrement.

Twice now they have had issues with billing between them and my bank. Both times have resulted in disconnection of service immediately and without warning. Their answer? Not our problem, talk to the bank, we didn't receive payment *click and hung up on*. And the worst thing is, they don't inform you of anything, you're completely out of the loop. They'll let the problem lapse for two, three months, and one day out of the blue they'll cut you off at the knees and demand all back payments -- which you've probably paid all along.

I felt I was alone, but having talked to local neighbours, others further out in the area, it seems this is common practice with Mountain Cable/Shaw Hamilton.

Service? You'll get a decent connection if that's what you're after. If you have problems, you either better be able to fix them yourself or be ready to shout and scream at the seemingly incompetent and unhelpful office staff. To them all you are is a number in a ledger and a payment they can milk from you.

Comments:

Review by quantumfluxx3 See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Speeds, reliability, generous data caps"
Overall "Fantastic value"

Subscribed to the BB100 internet service, which is supposed to be 100Mbit download and 5Mbit upload, I get during peak hours about 80-85mbit and during non-peak hours I get around 90-97mbit. Upload always stays at 4.8mbit no matter the time of day. 500GB cap to start with and for 10 bucks more I get another 250GB and for 20 beyond that unlimited, so it's not too shabby especially when compared to Bell's 75GB.

Update: As of a month or two ago, I've noticed that the speeds during primetime have improved, I get 97Mbit 24 hours a day now. Looking forward to the BB250 roll out.

Comments:

Review by thebig See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Unlimited internet."
Bad "Price is a little high for just internet."
Overall "Sure beats bell..."

I was with Teksavvy, but with only 3mb line capacity, i decided to bite the bullet and pay a little more for 7mb unlimited service.

member for 12 years, 2605 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by desrt See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "great ISP created by an independent cable company with awesome service"
Bad "was just bought by one of the big guys"
Overall "wait and see..."

Mountain Cable has been a fantastic cable television provider and ISP for many years. It's been a point of envy among geeks to have lived in their service area. Their speeds are pretty great and their tech support is extremely responsive.

They were recently purchased by Shaw who claimed (at least at first) that there would be no changes. Unfortunately, just as anybody might have guessed, things are already starting to head south. So far, only their cable television side of the business seems to be sliding. Waiting to see about the broadband.

For the time being, they're still a great provider.

Comments:

Review by neosporin See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Incredible speed and reliability (often downloading faster than advertised speed)"
Bad "Shaw introduced monthly bandwidth caps"
Overall "Failed potential, look for another provider without caps"

My family was originally on Bell Sympatico since around 2000 and we switched to Mountain Cablevision after Sympatico introduced bandwidth caps. Their main office was right around the corner and it'd be easier to have our phone, cable, and internet all bundled together. So we made the switch, had no second thoughts. We loved Mountain Cablevision, it was always reliable and always there when you needed it.

But then Shaw came in and bought the little company out, thereby destroying the link that the company actually had to it's customers. It's no longer the same company, no matter how much they try to tell you otherwise. They're the same as the other major network providers, out to gouge you in whatever way they can.

They force bandwidth caps to keep you worried about streaming online media, making you back off of the internet and fall back into the arms of the cable companies expensive television packages. Skype and other video conferencing and internet telephony is also affecting their digital phone subscriptions.

I guess that's what happens when 3 companies control the market, you get screwed.

For now, we're looking for a new provider because with the amount of Netflix, Youtube, and other internet stuff we do we go over the cap. We're at 200GB this month through normal internet usage, which also includes content distribution like Steam games or large game patches.

It seems like Shaw Hamilton is just another dinosaur internet provider living a few years back in technology. It's a shame, they really could have forced change to Bell and the others through competition.

If you're looking for a fast ISP and you don't stream, download, or use any type of content distribution, I'd do a little more research before hopping onto these big guys, if I were you. They're great if you don't use the internet often, however. But then at that point you might as well get a slower package, which in turn also scales down the bandwidth.

Comments:

Review by hickins See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "fair connection"
Bad "bad for value and rude customer support"
Overall "would not recommend if you have other options"

·Distributel Cable
·Acanac
I was with mountain cable when I used to live in Hamilton.
I had a problem where their system charged me for a canceled service, however they told me that they will pay it back, but I didn't like the idea of paying for a canceled service. Anyways, my point is that I have experienced bad customer support where they insisted on charging me however they know that this service is canceled.
I canceled all services to find out that I'm too far from a CO and I cannot possibly connect to any dsl provider.

I called them back again to reconnect my services and of course that was the time when they can beat me really good, they made me take a home phone with internet otherwise they will charge 129$ for connection fees and so I did.

After I moved to Burlington I was so happy that I canceled my services with no return!

Comments:

Review by scrollman3 See Profile

• Location: Dunnville,ON
Good "Good speed, Great Service, Fast Service"
Overall "They are the best"

Simply the best there is for a home computer.

Comments:

Review by Jagarm See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Fast High speed internet"
Bad "Terrible lite speed internet, and tv channels"
Overall "Mountaincable is terrible!"

I've had mountaincable for many years, and in the last few years we got the bundle, where we get high speed internet, cable tv plus and digital telephone. Everything is great, except month by month they keep rising their prices, and my guess is that the way they treat the customers.

Due to budget we have switched to lite speed internet, which is 80 K up and down and that is terrible, I'm sure you know how google page is simple, it takes forever to open. Other cable companies such as rogers, cogeco and others you can get the lite that is 256 to 512 with the same price as mountaincable which is 24.95.

If another provider was available in my area I would moved from it,

I've had their cable tv for years and not even one channel has been added, or trials. southmount or source was my provider at my previous address, and they had free preview of channels. but not mountain.

If you have a choice between mountaincable and another provider, stay away from mountaincable is terrible

Comments:

Review by audi1 See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Reliable 7 mbps connection"
Bad "upstream speed"
Overall "Excellent value"

Distance from central office forced a change from DSL to cable, sync profile now 7mbps vs 4mbps on DSL.Installation of new cable and Motorola SB5101 was over in an hour. Downstream speeds are 6.8mbps and drop only to 6.7mbps during evening hours. Mountain cable is the perfect solution for those having Dsl problems.

Comments:

Review by MikeG9 See Profile

• Location: Hamilton, ON
Good "Organized, Latency, Speeds, Reliability, No caps"
Bad "lite service needs a speed upgrade.."
Overall "Excellent service & value"

::Update - March 1/09::
Speeds have increased again to 7mbps. The connection is very reliable and stable. Its 7:30pm on a Sunday night and im pushing 6.7mbps as seen in the speedtest result below.
»www.speedtest.net/result/421030239.png

[attachment=1405493]

7mbps, usenet included, excellent peering, no caps, no throttling, excellent value... cant ask for much more.
____________________________________________________________________
::Update - Nov. 28/07::

Speeds have been increased to 6/512 along with a $1 increase.
_________________________________________________________________________
::Update - March 3/07::
No major complaints. Upload is still the only real problem.. which is why I've changed my rating slightly. Also adjusted the price, as the promo term has ended. There haven't been any service interruptions.

The modem's battery works - power had gone out on Feb. 27th for a couple minutes.

Email support is pretty quick.

Newsgroups are great, speed is consistent (no slowdowns) and the Arris modem is doing a fine job. Haven't had to reboot this modem since getting the service ( around 7months ).
_________________________________________________________________________

::July - 2006::
I ordered their 5meg service with Home phone & digital cable. The total is around $100 per month for all 3 services. The installation process went perfectly. They said the installation tech would come between 3pm and 5pm - he was here at 2:54pm. He installed and ran the cable, phone line, and upgraded our cable package and was finished at 3:50pm or so. They gave me an Arris Touchstone Telephony modem( TM402G). The modem controls the internet as well as the phone service, and also a backup battery if the power goes out. It lasts around 8-12 hours according to the spec sheet. So far so good.

I'm paying a lot less a month for all 3 services, receiving 4 more mbps on the d/l(distance limited me to 1mbps DSL), 15 new stations, and digital phone service with free caller ID, call waiting, voice mail, plus the free Panasonic 5.8ghtz cordless phone which was part of the promo.