Radioburst Broadband Networks page on DSLReports

Review by killluka See Profile

• Location: Springville,Utah,UT
Good "Excellent tech support"
Bad "Service caps"
Overall "Decent service, but there aren't other choices (besides 56k)."

RadioBurst bought out my old ISP (grifflink), who I was borderline unhappy with (connection went down frequently).

After the last outage, I called tech support at RadioBurst and someone came out the next day to troubleshoot the link. Problem was fixed one day after that (two days total). The tech basically repointed my antenna at a radioburst access point, eliminating the problematic grifflink connection altogether. The tech service I have received up to this point has been excellent.

Their servcie bills as a 256kbit minimum connection that is apparently capped at 768kbit. I don't really care for the cap part, because if the whole pipe is available, I would just as soon use it. Don't get me wrong though--the only other choice I have out here is 56k (usually ends up as 26k). Observed speed are typically 300kb-600kb.

Transfers are capped at 750 MB a week and I haven't been up against yet, but I imagine there will be problems the next time I try to download a linux ISO.

I have a static IP, but that isn't standard.

Overall, my experience with this ISP has been positive.

Update 14 Nov 2003:

Speed had been getting progressivley worse leading up to this point in time (56kbit down/26 kbit up). I emailed Radioburst to find out what was up. They explained to me that all of the customers in my neighborhood were on one access point because of some network transitioning taking place as a result of the Grifflink buyout. They also said there were signal problems. At that point, they scheduled to have my antenna repointed to a different access point in about three days. Speed now is about 700kbit down/up.

One thing I have been impressed with (and Grifflink did not exemplify this) through this is the overall responsiveness of Radioburst to my problems and/or complaints. They seem to be very competant at what they do.

Update 31 March 2004:

Something tanked with the throttling. My connection went down to 300 kbit down, 2500 kbit (yes, 2.5 megabit) up. I sent in an email and received a quick reply that they fixed a minor problem, but nothing changed. The slower 300 kbit download went on for about 45 days. I didn't press them and it didn't really bother me because I wasn't using my computer much.

Then my bandwith (up/down) tanked one day. I was getting service equivalent to about 26k. I called them and they had a tech come out and look that day. The person on the phone also took a look at the throttle settings for my link and noticed they were all messed up, which explained the massive upload pipe months earlier. The tech replaced my radio and things were much better. I'm at a sane 700 kbit down, 350 kbit up now.

I'm still pretty happy with their service, but I woudn't mind having the upload throttle match the download throttle.

Update 17 August 2005

I am still very happy with Radioburst. On two occasions now, my radio has gone bad and they have replaced them both without any questions or charge. Their customer support is excellent. At one point, I decided I needed a second IP address and inquired about the costs. They gave me the extra IP with no charge.

member for 14.3 years, 173 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by cyberfred See Profile

• Location: Mapleton,Utah,UT
Good "Better then dialup"
Bad "Sometimes connection goes down"
Overall "Good provider to begin with, now a little less relible"

SpringAir does a pretty good job, but sometimes my connection will go down for a few hours. The speeds have gone down the past 4 months. I use to reach speeds around 1mbit/sec, now my connection is around 256k/sec. It beats having a modem though.

Comments: