AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Good "Excellent connection"
Bad "IMO no bad points"
Overall "always works"

Update 3-22-2015

So close to two months now on the UVERSE and all is great!

There was an issue with the billing that resulted in a bonus for me.

I figured it would take a bill cycle for some things to adjust properly because of the switch and dropping the home phone. But after the second bill arrived it was still not right. The bill reflected my cellular plan (as it should) and my home phone which had been disconnected. It did not show the UVERSE plan or the old DSL account.

So basically I was being charge for a service that I wasn't getting and not being charged for the service I was getting.

I made a call to the billing customer support to inform them of the error and to get it resolved.

Samantha took my call and quickly worked to fix the problem. She issued credit for payments I made on the defunct plans and also credits on the new UVERSE for the current month. She indicated I would be receiving a final bill statement for the home phone and DSL which were terminated showing zero balance.

While she had me on the phone she also informed me she was able to get me on an even better pricing plan for the UVERSE lowering the cost from $34 to $28.50 and said she bumped the speed up as well. She didn't say what she had bumped it up to, I just thanked her for doing so. I hadn't even asked for this. I was on the 6meg plan and when I had the chance I ran speed test on the line and found that I was now getting in excess of 23meg download speed.

******************************************************
Update 3-1-2015

Made the switch from DSL to UVERSE internet last month. Works great.

I have refrained from going to Uverse for a long time because it seemed that many in my area that had Uverse had problems with it. They also had it with TV service and I am going with internet only so that may make a difference.

I made the switch purely for pricing reasons. I had been on the 6meg DSL plan that had recently had a price increase to close to $40/month. In addition I was also paying for a home phone line at about $25/month. I did not use this home line for any calls whatsoever. The only reason I had it was so that I could have the DSL line since the DSL service was dependent on the dial tone or a live POTS line to work. So in reality my internet bill had creeped up to $65/month since I had to pay both the DSL bill and the phone bill in order to have internet.

I had spoke with the customer service department and asked for some sort of options to lower the bill. I have done this in the past and be able to negotiate some sort of promotional price on both the phone and DSL services that would keep the price at an acceptable level. This time I was unable to. It seems that AT&T is really making an effort to phase out the DSL and no longer would offer any promotional rate.

Since I didn't really need the home phone line and only wanted internet service, it was offered to switch to uverse. They were able to provide the same 6meg service on Uverse for $34/month. So I eliminated the phone bill and reduced the internet bill making my total monthly cost almost half of what it was while still maintaining the service I want.

In addition I found an increase in speed as well. My old 6meg DSL service would typically test out at around 5meg down and 786k up. This new 6meg Uverse line consistently tests at over 7meg down and close to 2meg up, so I have an improvement there.

There was no charge for install or the new gateway device that was needed.
()()())()(UPDATE 9-2-13)()()()()()

Still on the AT&T DSL ELITE plan. Now paying less then last review. $27 per month for 6meg down ELITE service.

AT&T DSL just simply works!

As stated in previous reviews I would experience some issues in spring each year when the rainy season is here. This finally got resolved this year. A new drop was buried to my house from the pedestal. It was original and about 40 years old. Somehow it had deteriorated to the point that wet ground would affect the performance. All is well now.

I am just very pleased with the DSL service from the beginning in 2004. It has just always worked and worked well. Still using the original Speedstream modem supplied to me. Barring some network maintenance or other issue which has been slim to minimal in 9 years there has been no outages or other issues to be concerned with.

)()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()(

******UPDATE 7-10-11*********
I changed to the ELITE 6meg plan a few months ago.
I had it before but scaled back due to price at the time. I negotiated with the CSR and get the ELITE at $30 a month.
For the most part it still works great. There has been however some glitches. Typically each year in the spring I experience alot of random disconnects and issues maintaining constant speed. This happens when it is very wet with rain and windy as it often is in the spring around here. When the rain stops and it dries up then the service is solid again. But as soon as it starts raining the problem comes right back. It is now july as I write this and we haven't had any signifigant rain in some time and the service has been great.

I don't know what the problem is and have called service several times this year. The problem affects the phone line as well. When the rain comes there is alot of static on the line. Of course this is what affects the DSL signal. In my neighbor hood the lines are all underground so I presume the issue must be outside the neighborhood.
*******************************************
I have had the AT&T dsl for four plus years. In this time there were two evenings that the service did not work due to some regional work being done. Otherwise it has always been there. Started out with the basic pakage up to 1.5m for a year. Toward the end of the year I was contacted by AT&T stating that my term was almost done and that they could now offer me a faster speed for 2 dollars less per month and did I want to take advantage. Well of course. Toward the end of the second year again same kind of contact from AT&T. This time they could double my speed (up to 6m) for the same price I was currently paying. Of course I opted to take this offer and have been getting this same service since. Always pleased with the service from AT&T,SBC, IL bell, whatever is their name. You can always pick up the phone and know it will work, you can always go online and know you will access the net.

9/22/09 Still with ATT dsl. Simply put it works. Sometime ago they introduced a new pricing structure. 20$,25$,30$ or 35$ a month. no contract. I am on the 30$ a month plan which is 3meg down. Tests average 2.6 down. It's ok with me. My kids youtube lile mad and I NEVER have a problem with my connection.

8/19/10*****************************
Still with AT&T DSL. Price has gone up three bucks across the board. Still on the pro plan for 3megs down. It works and works well. I cann not recall having an outage or other failure in this past year. Kids still youtube like crazy and I have added a ROKU for streaming Netflix. All works excellent.

member for 10.7 years, 3072 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

LKF

@sbcglobal.net

AT&T Internet Service

Being charged extra for streaming NETFLIX .
I'm going over the Allowed amount of usage???
Is there something else out there or are all providers doing this?
BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

Re: AT&T Internet Service

What!?
Are you saying that you get an additional charge on your bill for Netflix streaming?

AT&T does have caps for allowed usage as many providers do.

I stream Netflix on my AT&T connection and have never been charged extra for doing so or been notified that I went over a limit. I stream quite a bit in my opinion.

Netflix does allow you to choose from three different streaming feeds to help control your bandwidth usage. It is found under your account page at Netflix site.

Review by ramsaso See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "Reliable, Fast, Cheap (for 6 months), it's Southwestern Bell? AKA AT&T or AT&T Southwest?"
Bad "Original modem died (SpeedStream 4100) but that was 2011... so far... None! (in 2014?)"
Overall "Best so far for NON-HD videos/excessive downloading"

2nd Update 24 February 2015: Well, after the pop-up came up, I felt compelled to do another update. We're still with Ma Bell and I think they're still the best albeit their parent company is forcing all operating companies to increase prices again. So, we're paying $24 again for internet and managed to get discounts on both POTS and internet. We're saving around $14 for POTS ($6 credit and $8 Complete Choice Enhanced retention credit) and the usual half price credit for DSL (don't know how long that's going to last since they increased regular 6Mbps internet tier to $52 in Texas). I would recommend to anyone who wants POTS to go look on cpr.att.com where there is a Guidebook for each operating state and finding promotions under it. You'll be glad you did. Then, call them up as usual or apply it online (I'd prefer by phone.)

Still faster than dial-up, and a lot more reliable compared to the U-Verse Internet.

Update 22 August 2014: Unfortunatly, after I've wrote this, they had jacked it up to $46 in my February bill so my wife called Ma Bell retention and told the U.S rep "We don't have any cell phones and the SIM doohicky." (NOTE: We both do and have T-Mobile but that's a different story is it?). She told me that the rep recognized our situation and instead of charging us $23, she made us pay $31. Not TOO much but enough so that we can still keep our beloved POTS line. (We use "pay-as-you-go on T-MO) Still, can't complain but wish that we had U-Verse Internet and hope we can keep our POTS still connected to our 5ESS central office for the foreseeable future. (Also, we pay under $60 for both phone and internet which is enough for our budget. And to those who wants to persuade us to VoIP, no thank you. Both of us oppose it. )

I signed up for their basic DSL service in March 2007 when I was moving to my apartment with Ma Bell's promotion of 14.99 for DSL. By the time i moved in, the service was already activated and everything was pleasant after i installed the modem and configured it up (im happy that my email address ended in "@sbcglobal.net"). No problems since then, even with the service increasing by $5 (by that time, my service costed 19.99 and that the original modem died) I got a refurbished Netgear since then.

Fast-Forward to now, I'm still using them but with the addition of their 6mbs plan with some tricks that made me pay $23(I told them that if they couldn't give me a cheaper price, I would move to Time Warner with their 15mbs plan.)

Please note that I am limited to 2 companies which can provide me with internet service, AT&T (and companies who are like MNVOs such as DSL Extreme) and this damn cable company WaveVision which I definitely will not use for the rest of my life.

So far... so good. Now the things that I would like to see is that AT&T support more speeds like 10mbs for DSL and get the "Phantom Mode" thing from Alcatel-Lucent...plus support our copper lines!

Also, even though i added the dsl service a long time ago, i just wanted to type this review as of 2014 because the connection has stayed stable throughout with the exception of disconnections when Ike hit Texas in 2008 and when my fax machine picks up (i don't have time to install a filter there...)

member for 1.2 years, 327 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CompTech210 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Zero Downtime"
Bad "Number Porting Nightmare on TWC's side not wanting to give up the number."
Overall "Its great all around once its hooked up properly,"

We have had ATT, then U-Verse, TWC, Now back to POTS ATT/DSL

Since getting everything straight on the number port from TWC back to ATT which was a nightmare in itself. (And as a side note TWC will take their sweet time releasing a number from their grasps).
When we were initially reinstalled we grabbed the Combo POTS/DSL Pro deal for 60. Which was great but i noticed that my line could sync up to 9990 max attainable and with one quick post over in the direct forum we were able to call in and get upgraded to Elite for five dollars more a month.

Overall i couldn't be happier with the pricing and how everything just works.
In the few but purely random power outages we have had here in NE SATX my battery backup has kept my network/WLAN running the whole time with no noticeable disconnects.

Current Equipment: currently I am using a Motorola 2210 Modem hooked to a Netgear WNDR3700v3 and i'm having the NETGEAR handle all routing/firewall duties for the time being.

As of August 2014 we moved back to uverse as the 45Mbps package became available at my address and they had finally fixed the lines in my area to at least be able to handle the MAXX 45 internet speeds.

member for 6.5 years, 491 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

biotech

@66.249.113.x

AT&T POTS?

So you switched from TWC(soon to be "Mother" Comcast) to Ma Bell. You've said that you used to have U-Verse. If you were using U-Verse before provided that you haven't moved from your location in San Antonio, why are you using DSL now along with AT&T Texas's local exchange service?

Re: AT&T POTS?

Due to a wiring issue in the neighborhood years ago u-verse wasn't living up to its expectations. TWC ended up being alright but the constant rate hikes and downtime was too much to handle when outages were frequent.
Im now using their older ADSL and POTS due to it doesn't go down like TWC used to and stays up even when the power goes offline also. Reliability is key for me and what i do for a living.

@66.249.113.x

Re: AT&T POTS?

How did you even do it though because I thought that once you had U-Verse in your area, you can't move back to the old DSL service anymore

Re: AT&T POTS?

I just called up sales and inquired about any regular phone and dsl deals. My area has U-Verse and ADSL both available. SA will most likely be one of the last AT&T areas to be force migrated to u-verse for various reasons. They are now sorting out the wiring issue in my area as to why U-Verse is available but has issues keeping a signal.
cmarslett

join:2006-11-22
Pflugerville, TX
·Clearwire
·T-Mobile US
·NetTalk
·Clear Wireless

Re: AT&T POTS?

I wish we had the same options here in Pflugerville. They eliminated DSL support here and thus forced us to U-verse (and we never got a connection, not one time). So we had to drop AT&T and go with Clear. Not as reliable, and slower downloads (though faster uploads).

Re: AT&T POTS?

Reach-out to David See Profile and he should be able to help get the ball rolling to get you connected somehow. Anytime i have had issues with connection or support issues he got the roadblocks cleared and everything working properly.

chasm

@clearwire-wmx.net

Re: AT&T POTS?

Thanks, I'll try once more. There do seem to be some (at least one) ADSL subscriber left in the neighborhood. So it shouldn't be a hopeless quest.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Once U-Verse is available and fully up and running to migrate customers over to it- you will be forced to switch unless you find a 3rd party ISP to keep your aDSL as aDSL is being moved over to IP-DSL or U-Verse DSL. You're area will be sooner than you think.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
In Illinois the company has been pushing dial tone onto dry loop customers for no charge.

@sbcglobal.net

Re: AT&T POTS?

....If Illinois's PUC still have control over the ILEC(A.K.A AT&T Illinois formerly Illinois Bell), they may require that they provide dial tone to all people that have a connection to the CO or RT regardless if customers have cancelled their landline service (which I really don't get). Frankly, I think Illinois requires them to put out a soft dial tone.

Review by chazpaw See Profile

• Location: Terrell,Kaufman,TX
Good "I got one month free, and a Member Tech here helped me upgrade my service."
Bad "Linux works, but is unsupported. Everyone assumes you do windows."
Overall "Never gone over cap, but had to switch quality of Netflix to good. I have no workiable option but AT&T."

I found out at work, on a Monday morning, DSL was available in my rural area! I called Monday afternoon, received my 2701HG-B and filters on Wednesday, and had the service running Friday night- this was in October, 2006. I had the Pro package for $24.99. Recently, I upgraded to Elite service, for $34.99, with the help of AT&T Direct forum. Thanks, David.

My speed was about 2500 kbps DL, 420 UL; now it is about 4900 kbps DL, 660 UL. My line is 6016/800. I have had one small on/off random problem, but Tech Support has always been very good. I love my service.

After having dial-up and a separate phone for internet for years, I am in download heaven.

Update: Friday, October 1, I cancelled our landline and kept Elite DSL. Monday, October 4, landline was disconnected with a slight hiccup in dsl. Tuesday, October 5, a tech came out and stopped and started my working dsl connection. I suppose that was for the account switchover.

I now have the same 5Mbs I had before at a greatly reduced cost, even though dry dsl is $10 more,

Update: May, 19, 2011: Caps are now in effect and if I had another provider I could switch to, I would leave AT&T.

Update: January 25, 2013: Caps are totally unnecessary and a disservice to customers. Bad AT&T!

Update: April1, 2014. Cap continues to be a problem, especially streaming Amazon Prime.

Update: October 15, 2014- Caps continues to limit streaming Amazon Prime. I tried to switch to an AT&T reseller but the new provider's business philosophies did not mesh with my expectations. So I am staying with AT&T. I do not understand why AT&T caps data usage.

member for 8 years, 3322 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Mikey1751

join:2006-08-25
Weatherford, TX

Caps are a problem.

I understand why att uses caps. Shareholders. That's the spin that is placed on the need or presence of caps. Mo $$$$$$$$! I'm in a rural area and fiber has not reached my location. Not enough rooftops to 'support' installation and maintenance. I have to rely on copper for my dsl. I don't even think about netflix, hulu and the other services because at my current speeds and the oppressive 'buffering' message I get when I try to watch. These people are squeezing me for mo $$$. And to those that think that the pending meager spells happy days for all... heifer dust.

chazpaw
join:2007-03-28
Terrell, TX

Re: Caps are a problem.

Thank you for your comment. I agree; caps are nothing more than a money grab. I have no problem with AT&T's service other than the caps. I actually considered switching to DSL EXtreme , an AT&T reseller with no caps, but I had too many problems. None of the problems were about the actual service; all the problems were customer service related. So I stayed with AT&T.

Review by gwagnon See Profile

• Location: Aliso Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Reasonable rates for bandwidth, good service in past years"
Bad "Recent drops in speed to as low as 45kb"
Overall "Good service has deterioriated recently"

Company is sending new dsl modem (Motorola 2210 to replace Siemens 4100b), but insists that the problem is my residental router. The service works well intermittently.

The new modem is expected to arrive next week, and I will also purchase a new router (for which I have some other additional uses) then too. This will either solve my problems, or demonstrate that the problems lie inside AT&T's systems. During this time, their support has been engaged and friendly.

At this point (shown in attached image), the service's upload performance remains what it "normally" has been, while the download speed has deteriorated to barely above dialup speeds. (My slowest dowmload speed test showed only 2Kb).

This problem comes after approximately four years of very satisfactory service, at a reasonable price. AT&T's support staff continues to claim that there are no problems or outages on their side and that my line quality is "good", a fact that my own tests confirm. My hope is that this crisis will be resolved, but if not, I will need to find an alternative.

Resolved by replacing Speedstream modem.

Comments:
retired17
join:2007-01-24
Anaheim, CA

AT&T charges tooo much

I had 1.5Mb DSL from AT&T for several years and every year they kept raising the price. The final straw was them raising the price to $39. So I cancelled and switched to TWC. Paying $21 including the cable modem for 3Mb/1Mb. Very happy with my faster speed. Can even watch HD video now without pauses.

Review by sclement See Profile

• Location: Spanish Fort,Baldwin,AL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Consistently okay"
Bad "Relatively slow performance compared to local cable (20 Mbps)"
Overall "For this price could be faster-still IMHO"

DSL very stable but very slow.

Comments:

Review by AcousticD See Profile

• Location: Princeton,Collin,TX
Good "It's considered internet"
Bad "Speeds, Customer Service, Cost"
Overall "Don't use unless there are no other options. "

·Suddenlink
I was originally told by AT&T that my house was only eligible for a 768k DSL line despite the fact that my next door neighbor had 6Mb service. After 13 months and two visits from technicians, they finally allowed me to get the 6Mb line. I was told I would be paying $20 a month for the DSL and $15 a month for a phone line that I didn't want. They would not let me get the 6Mb package without adding the phone line. My first bill was irregular due to all the changes they made to the account, so when I got my second bill for $90 I called and they said that there was no $35 package and never was. Now I'm paying around $60 and I'm stuck with them.

I've never seen above 4Mb on my download speed, and most of the day my speed ranges from 1-3 MB. From 4-8:00 pm it's guaranteed to be 1Mb. I've spent several hours on the phone with tech support and they can't fix it. The last time a tech came to my house he tested the pedestal that my line is fed from and said there was 8-9 Mb available and that I shouldn't have any issues getting a full 6Mb. On Saturday I spent an hour with DSL tech support and they finally told me they couldn't fix it and were sending a tech.

I took off half a day from work for a 12-4 house visit and they never showed up. A supervisor finally called me at 7:45 at night and said I was first on the list for the following day. Unfortunately for me and my crappy DSL service I can't afford to miss any more work.

Comments:

antiatandt

@76.185.67.x

Couldn't agree more.

I've had all of the same problems. I had to call them repeatedly to give me the luxury of paying more for 6Mb. It's still worthless. When I finally couldn't stand it anymore I started calling around and found out that they have agreements with everybody else to keep their services out of my neighborhood. Of course our neighborhood is not eligible for U-Verse.

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

If it helps I wil throw it out there. They have a email address for unresolved or still poor sevice issues. The address is attcustomercare@att.com.
Thanks again folks- David.

Review by digitalrao See Profile

• Location: Rosenberg,Fort Bend,TX
Good "former SBC ( Southwest Bell ) Comcast Busines class customer back to AT&T nothing changed "
Bad "AT&T customer service reps gotten as bad Comcast Xfinity reps they don't care i still have no U-Verse down a road with LCISDfibe"
Overall "deal with Comcast Xfinity with faster speeds or Internet America ISP"

I am business owner of 4 I.T firms , media tech company and lawn & pool companies (dba) for 15 years i have doing business all over houston and from Califorinia to Ohio and NYC i am former Geeksquad virtual agent best in the Geeksquad virtual agents i got connections to Houston yet i stuck in Rosenbegr with Urban setting with rural broadband speeds and customer service .. i am dealing with AT&T disconnects and more daily .. I live down the road from Bowie elem and Bank we have fiber optics loop from Lamar CISD yet AT&T doesnt want lease the lines to bring AT&T U-verse to Brooks & Bamore yet Comcast Xfinity has i can reach 100 mbps with buying T1 ( Ethernet line or private line to my business address of 815 Brooks Avenue

I do software development & I.T support and technical support and well Multimedia productions on youtube

Comments:

Review by Nobeepin See Profile

• Location: Glendale Heights,Du Page,IL
Good "You can use the telephone while being online!!"
Bad "Wifi was a bit off since living in apt "
Overall "Overall experience was great before we left i beleive they started doing discount bundle if you have directv"

·WOW Internet and..
·DIRECTV
Internet
Phone
later Satellite bundle

We loved AT&T
we had no problems with them we had a little problem with rback profile. tech department was on duty and handled everything fine.
we tried couple device 2wire gateway 2701 series it was the first kind we ever owned that had a built-in router with Wifi
equipment over at att was pretty superb

Comments:

Review by ScottHilt See Profile

• Location: New Smyrna Beach,Volusia,FL
Good "It's an internet connection"
Bad "Speed, Reliability, Price, Customer Service "
Overall "I only have at&t DSL because it's the only ISP that services my address. DON'T CHOOSE IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE!!!"

·Bright House Net..
I only have AT&T DSL because it's the only ISP that services my address. DON'T CHOOSE IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE! I absolutely HATE AT&T. Not only am I forced into AT&T DSL, but the max speed that it available to my address is 6mbps. I was told that in order to get a faster speed I have to sign up for U-Verse. Here's the kicker. U-Verse is not available in my neighborhood and that AT&T only offers DSL speeds faster then 6mbps in cities where U-Verse is not available at all. So since U-Verse is available in my city, but not my neighborhood I'm stuck with 6mbps.

This service is so bad that I will be moving at the end of my lease for the sole reason of getting AT&T out of my life again.

Comments:

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Look on the bright side...

At least you're renting. I own my home and I'm stuck with AT&T and 6mbit dsl with no hope of being upgraded in the foreseeable future. I despise AT&T!

spam2me

@74.190.254.x

Re: Look on the bright side...

You are still fortunate. You could be stuck with ATT's EXTREME 3mb service like I am. If it runs over 2mb speeds it's a good day. Nothing else available to my house. Plus they are charging $49 a month for such lame service. Outta be a law.....

LTDUNN86

@206.135.75.x

Re: Look on the bright side...

I don't see wow you would be complaining. I would love 6Mbs down. unfortunately i'm stuck with no options whatsoever so I am stuck with a very expensive 1.5Mb T1 connection! People who have the nerve to complain about only having dsl service should do without anything for a while and see how they feel!
cj_version2

join:2014-07-08
US
I'm stuck with "Extreme" (what a misnomer) at a site in the middle of downtown Atlanta, myself. That and a T-1 line, so I feel you guys' pain. It appears to be the only solution, too. Signed a contract very early this year with Comcast Business after two years of trying to get them to run cable 175ft across two poles. You guessed it! No install or sign they'll actually do it at all yet as of August 19th. [Edit] By the way, I was thinking about accepting a job offer in Daytona and living in New Smyrna Beach, but one of the reasons I didn't was I couldn't find a decent ISP there where I wanted to live. Bummer.