AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by chazpaw See Profile

• Location: Terrell,Kaufman,TX
Good "I got one month free, and a Member Tech here helped me upgrade my service."
Bad "Linux works, but is unsupported. Everyone assumes you do windows."
Overall "Never gone over cap, but had to switch quality of Netflix to good. I have no workiable option but AT&T."

I found out at work, on a Monday morning, DSL was available in my rural area! I called Monday afternoon, received my 2701HG-B and filters on Wednesday, and had the service running Friday night- this was in October, 2006. I had the Pro package for $24.99. Recently, I upgraded to Elite service, for $34.99, with the help of AT&T Direct forum. Thanks, David.

My speed was about 2500 kbps DL, 420 UL; now it is about 4900 kbps DL, 660 UL. My line is 6016/800. I have had one small on/off random problem, but Tech Support has always been very good. I love my service.

After having dial-up and a separate phone for internet for years, I am in download heaven.

Update: Friday, October 1, I cancelled our landline and kept Elite DSL. Monday, October 4, landline was disconnected with a slight hiccup in dsl. Tuesday, October 5, a tech came out and stopped and started my working dsl connection. I suppose that was for the account switchover.

I now have the same 5Mbs I had before at a greatly reduced cost, even though dry dsl is $10 more,

Update: May, 19, 2011: Caps are now in effect and if I had another provider I could switch to, I would leave AT&T.

Update: January 25, 2013: Caps are totally unnecessary and a disservice to customers. Bad AT&T!

Update: April1, 2014. Cap continues to be a problem, especially streaming Amazon Prime.

Update: October 15, 2014- Caps continues to limit streaming Amazon Prime. I tried to switch to an AT&T reseller but the new provider's business philosophies did not mesh with my expectations. So I am staying with AT&T. I do not understand why AT&T caps data usage.

member for 7.5 years, 3154 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Mikey1751

join:2006-08-25
Weatherford, TX

Caps are a problem.

I understand why att uses caps. Shareholders. That's the spin that is placed on the need or presence of caps. Mo $$$$$$$$! I'm in a rural area and fiber has not reached my location. Not enough rooftops to 'support' installation and maintenance. I have to rely on copper for my dsl. I don't even think about netflix, hulu and the other services because at my current speeds and the oppressive 'buffering' message I get when I try to watch. These people are squeezing me for mo $$$. And to those that think that the pending meager spells happy days for all... heifer dust.

chazpaw
join:2007-03-28
Terrell, TX
·AT&T DSL Service

Re: Caps are a problem.

Thank you for your comment. I agree; caps are nothing more than a money grab. I have no problem with AT&T's service other than the caps. I actually considered switching to DSL EXtreme , an AT&T reseller with no caps, but I had too many problems. None of the problems were about the actual service; all the problems were customer service related. So I stayed with AT&T.

Review by gwagnon See Profile

• Location: Aliso Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Reasonable rates for bandwidth, good service in past years"
Bad "Recent drops in speed to as low as 45kb"
Overall "Good service has deterioriated recently"

Company is sending new dsl modem (Motorola 2210 to replace Siemens 4100b), but insists that the problem is my residental router. The service works well intermittently.

The new modem is expected to arrive next week, and I will also purchase a new router (for which I have some other additional uses) then too. This will either solve my problems, or demonstrate that the problems lie inside AT&T's systems. During this time, their support has been engaged and friendly.

At this point (shown in attached image), the service's upload performance remains what it "normally" has been, while the download speed has deteriorated to barely above dialup speeds. (My slowest dowmload speed test showed only 2Kb).

This problem comes after approximately four years of very satisfactory service, at a reasonable price. AT&T's support staff continues to claim that there are no problems or outages on their side and that my line quality is "good", a fact that my own tests confirm. My hope is that this crisis will be resolved, but if not, I will need to find an alternative.

Resolved by replacing Speedstream modem.

Comments:
retired17
join:2007-01-24
Anaheim, CA

AT&T charges tooo much

I had 1.5Mb DSL from AT&T for several years and every year they kept raising the price. The final straw was them raising the price to $39. So I cancelled and switched to TWC. Paying $21 including the cable modem for 3Mb/1Mb. Very happy with my faster speed. Can even watch HD video now without pauses.

Review by sclement See Profile

• Location: Spanish Fort,Baldwin,AL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Consistently okay"
Bad "Relatively slow performance compared to local cable (20 Mbps)"
Overall "For this price could be faster-still IMHO"

DSL very stable but very slow.

Comments:

Review by AcousticD See Profile

• Location: Princeton,Collin,TX
Good "It's considered internet"
Bad "Speeds, Customer Service, Cost"
Overall "Don't use unless there are no other options. "

·Suddenlink
I was originally told by AT&T that my house was only eligible for a 768k DSL line despite the fact that my next door neighbor had 6Mb service. After 13 months and two visits from technicians, they finally allowed me to get the 6Mb line. I was told I would be paying $20 a month for the DSL and $15 a month for a phone line that I didn't want. They would not let me get the 6Mb package without adding the phone line. My first bill was irregular due to all the changes they made to the account, so when I got my second bill for $90 I called and they said that there was no $35 package and never was. Now I'm paying around $60 and I'm stuck with them.

I've never seen above 4Mb on my download speed, and most of the day my speed ranges from 1-3 MB. From 4-8:00 pm it's guaranteed to be 1Mb. I've spent several hours on the phone with tech support and they can't fix it. The last time a tech came to my house he tested the pedestal that my line is fed from and said there was 8-9 Mb available and that I shouldn't have any issues getting a full 6Mb. On Saturday I spent an hour with DSL tech support and they finally told me they couldn't fix it and were sending a tech.

I took off half a day from work for a 12-4 house visit and they never showed up. A supervisor finally called me at 7:45 at night and said I was first on the list for the following day. Unfortunately for me and my crappy DSL service I can't afford to miss any more work.

Comments:

antiatandt

@76.185.67.x

Couldn't agree more.

I've had all of the same problems. I had to call them repeatedly to give me the luxury of paying more for 6Mb. It's still worthless. When I finally couldn't stand it anymore I started calling around and found out that they have agreements with everybody else to keep their services out of my neighborhood. Of course our neighborhood is not eligible for U-Verse.

Granite City, IL

If it helps I wil throw it out there. They have a email address for unresolved or still poor sevice issues. The address is attcustomercare@att.com.
Thanks again folks- David.

Review by digitalrao See Profile

• Location: Rosenberg,Fort Bend,TX
Good "former SBC ( Southwest Bell ) Comcast Busines class customer back to AT&T nothing changed "
Bad "AT&T customer service reps gotten as bad Comcast Xfinity reps they don't care i still have no U-Verse down a road with LCISDfibe"
Overall "deal with Comcast Xfinity with faster speeds or Internet America ISP"

I am business owner of 4 I.T firms , media tech company and lawn & pool companies (dba) for 15 years i have doing business all over houston and from Califorinia to Ohio and NYC i am former Geeksquad virtual agent best in the Geeksquad virtual agents i got connections to Houston yet i stuck in Rosenbegr with Urban setting with rural broadband speeds and customer service .. i am dealing with AT&T disconnects and more daily .. I live down the road from Bowie elem and Bank we have fiber optics loop from Lamar CISD yet AT&T doesnt want lease the lines to bring AT&T U-verse to Brooks & Bamore yet Comcast Xfinity has i can reach 100 mbps with buying T1 ( Ethernet line or private line to my business address of 815 Brooks Avenue

I do software development & I.T support and technical support and well Multimedia productions on youtube

Comments:

Review by Nobeepin See Profile

• Location: Glendale Heights,Du Page,IL
Good "You can use the telephone while being online!!"
Bad "Wifi was a bit off since living in apt "
Overall "Overall experience was great before we left i beleive they started doing discount bundle if you have directv"

·WOW Internet and..
·DIRECTV
Internet
Phone
later Satellite bundle

We loved AT&T
we had no problems with them we had a little problem with rback profile. tech department was on duty and handled everything fine.
we tried couple device 2wire gateway 2701 series it was the first kind we ever owned that had a built-in router with Wifi
equipment over at att was pretty superb

Comments:

Review by ramsaso See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "Reliable, Fast, Cheap (for 6 months), it's Southwestern Bell? AKA AT&T or AT&T Southwest?"
Bad "Original modem died (SpeedStream 4100) but that was 2011... so far... None! (in 2014?)"
Overall "Best so far for NON-HD videos/excessive downloading"

Update 22 August 2014: Unfortunatly, after I've wrote this, they had jacked it up to $46 in my February bill so my wife called Ma Bell retention and told the U.S rep "We don't have any cell phones and the SIM doohicky." (NOTE: We both do and have T-Mobile but that's a different story is it?). She told me that the rep recognized our situation and instead of charging us $23, she made us pay $31. Not TOO much but enough so that we can still keep our beloved POTS line. (We use "pay-as-you-go on T-MO) Still, can't complain but wish that we had U-Verse Internet and hope we can keep our POTS still connected to our 5ESS central office for the foreseeable future. (Also, we pay under $60 for both phone and internet which is enough for our budget. And to those who wants to persuade us to VoIP, no thank you. Both of us oppose it. )

I signed up for their basic DSL service in March 2007 when I was moving to my apartment with Ma Bell's promotion of 14.99 for DSL. By the time i moved in, the service was already activated and everything was pleasant after i installed the modem and configured it up (im happy that my email address ended in "@sbcglobal.net"). No problems since then, even with the service increasing by $5 (by that time, my service costed 19.99 and that the original modem died) I got a refurbished Netgear since then.

Fast-Forward to now, I'm still using them but with the addition of their 6mbs plan with some tricks that made me pay $23(I told them that if they couldn't give me a cheaper price, I would move to Time Warner with their 15mbs plan.)

Please note that I am limited to 2 companies which can provide me with internet service, AT&T (and companies who are like MNVOs such as DSL Extreme) and this damn cable company WaveVision which I definitely will not use for the rest of my life.

So far... so good. Now the things that I would like to see is that AT&T support more speeds like 10mbs for DSL and get the "Phantom Mode" thing from Alcatel-Lucent...plus support our copper lines!

Also, even though i added the dsl service a long time ago, i just wanted to type this review as of 2014 because the connection has stayed stable throughout with the exception of disconnections when Ike hit Texas in 2008 and when my fax machine picks up (i don't have time to install a filter there...)

member for 292 days, 126 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ScottHilt See Profile

• Location: New Smyrna Beach,Volusia,FL
Good "It's an internet connection"
Bad "Speed, Reliability, Price, Customer Service "
Overall "I only have at&t DSL because it's the only ISP that services my address. DON'T CHOOSE IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE!!!"

·Bright House
I only have AT&T DSL because it's the only ISP that services my address. DON'T CHOOSE IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE! I absolutely HATE AT&T. Not only am I forced into AT&T DSL, but the max speed that it available to my address is 6mbps. I was told that in order to get a faster speed I have to sign up for U-Verse. Here's the kicker. U-Verse is not available in my neighborhood and that AT&T only offers DSL speeds faster then 6mbps in cities where U-Verse is not available at all. So since U-Verse is available in my city, but not my neighborhood I'm stuck with 6mbps.

This service is so bad that I will be moving at the end of my lease for the sole reason of getting AT&T out of my life again.

Comments:

SlowFITL

Mobile, AL

Look on the bright side...

At least you're renting. I own my home and I'm stuck with AT&T and 6mbit dsl with no hope of being upgraded in the foreseeable future. I despise AT&T!

spam2me

@74.190.254.x

Re: Look on the bright side...

You are still fortunate. You could be stuck with ATT's EXTREME 3mb service like I am. If it runs over 2mb speeds it's a good day. Nothing else available to my house. Plus they are charging $49 a month for such lame service. Outta be a law.....

LTDUNN86

@206.135.75.x

Re: Look on the bright side...

I don't see wow you would be complaining. I would love 6Mbs down. unfortunately i'm stuck with no options whatsoever so I am stuck with a very expensive 1.5Mb T1 connection! People who have the nerve to complain about only having dsl service should do without anything for a while and see how they feel!
cj_version2

join:2014-07-08
US
I'm stuck with "Extreme" (what a misnomer) at a site in the middle of downtown Atlanta, myself. That and a T-1 line, so I feel you guys' pain. It appears to be the only solution, too. Signed a contract very early this year with Comcast Business after two years of trying to get them to run cable 175ft across two poles. You guessed it! No install or sign they'll actually do it at all yet as of August 19th. [Edit] By the way, I was thinking about accepting a job offer in Daytona and living in New Smyrna Beach, but one of the reasons I didn't was I couldn't find a decent ISP there where I wanted to live. Bummer.

Review by daftwhat See Profile

• Location: Ravenel,Charleston,SC
Good "nothing"
Bad "customer service never fixes anything, constant disconnects, slow speed available to area"
Overall "DO NOT BUY"

I have the 3 megabit line because it is the only slot available in my area and all the higher ones are taken. It has been like this for years now so I don't expect them to upgrade their slots anytime soon. I would try U-Verse but apparently they stop 2 miles short of my house. You would think I live in the middle of nowhere, judging by the availability of internet where I live but I really don't.

During the hours of 12-7pm, I have constant disconnects of my internet to the point to where it is unuseable. I have tried many, many times to get them to fix it but every phone call and tech visit gets me nothing. It may be OK for a day but after that its back to the same problems. I heard U-Verse is alright but the DSL is terrible. Even if they brought UVerse to me, I wouldn't buy it now. The company is terrible.

I tried getting Comcast but that company is completely inept so it looks like I'm stuck with terrible internet for the rest of my life.

Update 5/19/14: Problems still persist as usual, called tech support and the rep was extremely nice. She acknowledged that we had a problem and we elected to send out a tech(yet again) Tech arrives, pokes around, can't find a single problem. The disconnects hadn't started their daily routine yet because the tech came out in the early morning. Sure enough, as soon as tech leaves, an hour later the disconnects start happening. Tech even got our hopes up saying we could maybe get U-Verse(because I'm willing to try anything now) but alas, he said he would let us know and has yet to call us back weeks later.

Comments:

David

I can check into this..

if you wish post in direct or let me know.

Thanks
daftwhat

join:2014-02-19
Ravenel, SC

Re: I can check into this..

Sure. I don't know what else can be done. I'm currently replying on my phone right now because the Internet is out yet again.

Granite City, IL

Re: I can check into this..

Can you IM me the DSL number?

Review by breese See Profile

• Location: Arlington Heights,Cook,IL
Bad "Lack of Respect for Long Term Customers"
Overall "No One Listens to Long Term Customers"

·AT&T Midwest
To Any and All AT&T Support People.
Please forward this on up the chain of command. The lack of respect by Management of AT&T is total garbage.

I have been a customer of AT&T DSL for something like 15 years.
The respect for long term customers over the last 5 or so years has dropped to the point I have started contacting Comcast, WOW (Current Cable TV Provider), and anyone else that will support my home and service needs.
I receive all kinds of emails and postal mail telling me about all the Great New Services yet, most are not available to me.

I have talked to everyone from AT&T that will listen (On-line support, Repair Tech’s on the street, Ect) on what / who can I contact to get my area service upgraded so as I can roll All My Services into one as it was back in the Ameritech days… (Clue: Look at my email address!! ).

Go 4 to 6 blocks in almost any direction from my home and you will find a U-Verse box supporting those area’s yet my area continues to be on 50 or 60 year old copper phone lines that the service tech’s have to patch every time someone has an issue.

The Funniest part of all this? On each side of Downtown Arlington Heights (North and South of the RR Tracks) are AT&T offices. I live just a few blocks north of the Northern Service Office of AT&T.

As it stands today:
U-Verse Availability: Internet and Phone (TV thru Direct – Yea, right. When it snows, No TV. I Think Not)
DSL Current: Limited Speed at Pro level
Phone Current: Hard Line
WOW Cable for TV Service

Besides posting this here on the AT&T Internet Community Forum, I will also be placing this on the DSL Reports Web Site because I know support people also read those and I have been a long term member.

member for 14.4 years, 2382 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

SlowFITL

They don't care!

AT&T doesn't care about you or I as a customer. They would really like for us, dsl customers, to just go away. I would gladly tell them to stick it if I had cable available in my neighborhood!
join:2012-06-11

Re: They don't care!

Actually they DO care, the problem is that you have to know who to reach out to. Which should NOT be the case. I believe that the executive office management does NOT have good control over the customer service group. A few years back I attempted to sign up for DSL service. I ordered the service and was told that all I needed to do was plug the modem into the phone jack and I would be set. Well the problem was that there was NO home run from the node wired into my NID! So I opened up numerous repair tickets and ALL were closed without the wiring on ATT side ever being installed! No explanation was given and of course I canceled the service.

Fast forward to this year I once again signed up for service this time David who is ATT social media here on DSLR informed me to call the Office of The President and they would expidite the order and make sure the home run to my NID was installed.
Unbelievably the woman I spoke to at the OoP basically was attempting to have me do all her leg work by contacting the network department, which has no interest in speaking to the customer. I was once again getting NO WHERE!

This time I actually sent a certified return receipt requested snail mail to the executives offices in Texas never thinking anything would change....well lo and behold the same woman from the OoP called me back and this time she actually seemed interested in doing her job! I was informed that she would now make sure the home run was installed, the service was started, and that the line would be buried in a timely manner, and amazingly EVERYTHING was taken care of! I'm certain that the executive office read my letter and basically told her that if she didn't get the job done she would be a former employee of ATT.

So obviously someone cares at ATT, problem is that the executives offices need to exert a more forceful hand over the customer service department and make sure they are actually getting the job done and fire those people that refuse to do their jobs.

·AT&T Southeast

said by 15444104:

No they really don't care about those of us left on DSL. If they did they would do the easy upgrade in my case. I have fiber to the curb in my neighborhood so there is no excuse. THEY DON'T CARE! I have even been in touch with office of the president in my case. Stop kidding yourself.
join:2012-06-11

Re: They don't care!

Did you read what I posted before?
You need to contact the Executive Offices in TX, by certified return receipt requested snail mail. The OoP and the Executive Offices in the ATT Corporate HQ are NOT the same.
PM me for more info.

jlibuszowski
join:2005-10-25
Hoffman Estates, IL

said by 15444104:

Did you read what I posted before?
PM me for more info.

Hello,

I can tell that you want to help and offer helpful advice, in order to assist this loyal Ameritech/SBC/AT&T customer to get 21st Century Telecommunications services, that even developing countries have access to today. But the logic does not hold water, if SBC Telecommunications d/b/a AT&T wanted to provide DSL or Uverse services and upgrade the infrastructure they would do so.

The fact that you have to send a certified letter to the head of AT&T Executive office. Which their HQ is located currently in Dallas Texas, is further proof that the company has no interest in providing the services and considers providing your or any customers DSL in that area largely a nuisance.

Further evidence of that is available at
»AT&T Highlights Plan to Hang up on POTS, DSL

or by reviewing the legal filing by Robert W. Quinn Jr. who is Senior VP of Regulatory for AT&T.

»prodnet.www.neca.org/publication···2att.pdf

In AT&T's legal notice to the FCC laying out the Telecom companies vision to the future. They [SBC/AT&T] are no longer interested in providing TDM services and wish to stop providing DSL service.

AT&T wishes to only provide Uverse / VOIP / IP telephony and data services where they want to and how they want to.

For example- If you live in an area that telecom company doesn't want to serve (out in the sticks or say a Chicago suburb Arlington Heights, with aging infrastructure that AT&T does not want to invest in upgrading, then tough luck!). You will get whatever the "Worlds Largest Telecommunications Company" wants to offer you, and if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else.

The only problem is, in many markets customers have few if any choices, mostly because companies like AT&T and their lobbyist and attorneys, put barriers to prevent any rational company or individual from competing with them. They force out competitors with high wholesale prices and prevent competitors from entering the marketplace, through lobbying efforts to dismantle PUC (public utility commissions) or any government oversight.

Best Regards,