AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by Scritter See Profile

• Location: Leander,Williamson,TX
Good "it works - sometimes"
Bad "Awful"
Overall " It's the only game in town"

This is the fastest package that my neighborhood lines can support (1500kbs Elite Package)

Lousy support

Techs that can't

The only time in years that I have gotten hold of a real tech they let me know that if they couldn't fix the problem remotely that they would simply stop offering broadband to us. I am continually told that it's my house wiring BUT I know it's not and three different repair folk agree - When I can finally get someone on the other end to reset my connection from their end it will work for anywhere from 5 min. to 9 days.... I don't even call anymore until it drops to under 700Kbs down. The lines running out to this ranch were run in 1963, just 1.5 years ago the mechanical switches were swapped out at the distro building! The worst part is every time I call and every other time I get the mail the try to sell me on U-Verse that my lines will not support....cheaper faster ect......

We are in a valley that does NOT receive cell signals without a 75' mast and some sort of repeater and I just can't afford to risk the cash on a HughsNet system. Verizon won't even risk us.

Comments:

Review by chazpaw See Profile

• Location: Terrell,Kaufman,TX
Good "I got one month free, and a Member Tech here helped me upgrade my service."
Bad "Linux works, but is unsupported. Everyone assumes you do windows."
Overall "Never gone over cap, but had to switch quality of Netflix to good. I have no workiable option but AT&T."

I found out at work, on a Monday morning, DSL was available in my rural area! I called Monday afternoon, received my 2701HG-B and filters on Wednesday, and had the service running Friday night- this was in October, 2006. I had the Pro package for $24.99. Recently, I upgraded to Elite service, for $34.99, with the help of AT&T Direct forum. Thanks, David.

My speed was about 2500 kbps DL, 420 UL; now it is about 4900 kbps DL, 660 UL. My line is 6016/800. I have had one small on/off random problem, but Tech Support has always been very good. I love my service.

After having dial-up and a separate phone for internet for years, I am in download heaven.

Update: Friday, October 1, I cancelled our landline and kept Elite DSL. Monday, October 4, landline was disconnected with a slight hiccup in dsl. Tuesday, October 5, a tech came out and stopped and started my working dsl connection. I suppose that was for the account switchover.

I now have the same 5Mbs I had before at a greatly reduced cost, even though dry dsl is $10 more,

Update: May, 19, 2011: Caps are now in effect and if I had another provider I could switch to, I would leave AT&T.

Update: January 25, 2013: Caps are totally unnecessary and a disservice to customers. Bad AT&T!

Update: April1, 2014. Cap continues to be a problem, especially streaming Amazon Prime.

member for 7 years, 2926 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CompTech210 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Zero Downtime"
Bad "Number Porting Nightmare on TWC's side not wanting to give up the number."
Overall "Its great all around once its hooked up properly"

We have had ATT, then U-Verse, TWC, Now back to POTS ATT/DSL

Since getting everything straight on the number port from TWC back to ATT which was a nightmare in itself. (And as a side note TWC will take their sweet time releasing a number from their grasps).
When we were initially reinstalled we grabbed the Combo POTS/DSL Pro deal for 60. Which was great but i noticed that my line could sync up to 9990 max attainable and with one quick post over in the direct forum we were able to call in and get upgraded to Elite for five dollars more a month.

Overall i couldn't be happier with the pricing and how everything just works.
In the few but purely random power outages we have had here in NE SATX my battery backup has kept my network/WLAN running the whole time with no noticeable disconnects.

Current Equipment: currently I am using a Motorola 2210 Modem hooked to a Netgear WNDR3700v3 and i'm having the NETGEAR handle all routing/firewall duties for the time being.

member for 5.5 years, 319 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

biotech

@66.249.113.x

AT&T POTS?

So you switched from TWC(soon to be "Mother" Comcast) to Ma Bell. You've said that you used to have U-Verse. If you were using U-Verse before provided that you haven't moved from your location in San Antonio, why are you using DSL now along with AT&T Texas's local exchange service?

Re: AT&T POTS?

Due to a wiring issue in the neighborhood years ago u-verse wasn't living up to its expectations. TWC ended up being alright but the constant rate hikes and downtime was too much to handle when outages were frequent.
Im now using their older ADSL and POTS due to it doesn't go down like TWC used to and stays up even when the power goes offline also. Reliability is key for me and what i do for a living.

@66.249.113.x

Re: AT&T POTS?

How did you even do it though because I thought that once you had U-Verse in your area, you can't move back to the old DSL service anymore

Re: AT&T POTS?

I just called up sales and inquired about any regular phone and dsl deals. My area has U-Verse and ADSL both available. SA will most likely be one of the last AT&T areas to be force migrated to u-verse for various reasons. They are now sorting out the wiring issue in my area as to why U-Verse is available but has issues keeping a signal.
cmarslett

join:2006-11-22
Pflugerville, TX
·Clear Wireless
·NetTalk
·T-Mobile US

Re: AT&T POTS?

I wish we had the same options here in Pflugerville. They eliminated DSL support here and thus forced us to U-verse (and we never got a connection, not one time). So we had to drop AT&T and go with Clear. Not as reliable, and slower downloads (though faster uploads).

Re: AT&T POTS?

Reach-out to David See Profile and he should be able to help get the ball rolling to get you connected somehow. Anytime i have had issues with connection or support issues he got the roadblocks cleared and everything working properly.

chasm

@clearwire-wmx.net

Re: AT&T POTS?

Thanks, I'll try once more. There do seem to be some (at least one) ADSL subscriber left in the neighborhood. So it shouldn't be a hopeless quest.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath
Once U-Verse is available and fully up and running to migrate customers over to it- you will be forced to switch unless you find a 3rd party ISP to keep your aDSL as aDSL is being moved over to IP-DSL or U-Verse DSL. You're area will be sooner than you think.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
In Illinois the company has been pushing dial tone onto dry loop customers for no charge.

Re: AT&T POTS?

....If Illinois's PUC still have control over the ILEC(A.K.A AT&T Illinois formerly Illinois Bell), they may require that they provide dial tone to all people that have a connection to the CO or RT regardless if customers have cancelled their landline service (which I really don't get). Frankly, I think Illinois requires them to put out a soft dial tone.

Review by wiccancat See Profile

• Location: Pahrump,Nye,NV
Good "Only game in town"
Bad "Slow speeds with no plains to up grade"
Overall "Only connection you can get here"

At&T DSL is the only half decent connection you can get in Pahrump, NV. The speed is ok but they have started to cap your downloads and this can really add to the bill. Netflix is going to cost you more a month but you can watch it.

Comments:

Review by Treofan See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Collin,TX
Good "Service nearly bullet proof. Cant remember the last time it was down"
Bad "Speeds ratcheted down to 800K down/80K up for the last year"
Overall "ATT Doesn't want DSL Customers anymore...they want u to convert to UVerse"

Have had ATT DSL service for 20+ years, in Far North Dallas. Though in the mid 1990's it would frequently go out, I cannot remember the last time it EVER went out in the last 9+ years. Public IP addresses change once every few months.

About 5 years ago, Upgraded to their "Elite" service (6M down/1M up) for $39.99/month. I never got close to 6M down, but the 3M down/1M up seemed to satisfy my needs.

Lately, since 2013, I noticed my speeds getting slower and slower (800K down/80K up at midnight); I called ATT and they told me they are no longer supporting DSL speed issues and they recommend that all their DSL users change to UVerse.

I asked the rep about UVerse. They could get me 12Mb/s download speed, and home phone for $69.99/month. BUT...THE HOME PHONE IS METERED....THEY ONLY ALLOW YOU 200 MINUTES/MONTH !

I asked her to verify that they're going to METER my HOME PHONE??? I told her my CELL Phone is UNLIMITED!! I asked her how much the overage charges are for minutes in excess of 200 min/month: 7 cents/minute !!

I told her "Thank you for 20 years of service, but TWC will offer me 15 Mb/s internet and home phone for $54.99/month.

Install is next week. We'll see how it goes. Adios, AT&T !

Comments:

oz

att

those time warner rates are introductory rates and expire in 12 months. guess what. the will not tell you what the rate is after 12 months they just say it is whatever the rate is at that tie. it is a scam. I had time warner for years and their speed fluctuated badly and ultimately became unreliable. I went to att uverse and now it is starting to do the same things. I have no other options other than the two in Lancaster,tx and I am positively depressed

·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

Depending on prices...

I would go with one of these if you wanted home phone, as this is what I am looking at within the next few months.

Was $20/month unlimited with a 2 year contract and free device for the house. Then depending on 12mbps pricing is on top of that for internet if you wanted.

Anyway sorry to see you go and good luck with your new provider. Let us know if we can be of help in the future

Thanks
David
02/24/14- My hours recently changed. I work 11:30 A.M. to 10 P.M. central time. I am not in the office on friday, saturday, or sunday. Thanks-David

Review by daftwhat See Profile

• Location: Ravenel,Charleston,SC
Good "nothing"
Bad "customer service never fixes anything, constant disconnects, slow speed available to area"
Overall "Do not buy"

I have the 3 megabit line because it is the only slot available in my area and all the higher ones are taken. It has been like this for years now so I don't expect them to upgrade their slots anytime soon. I would try U-Verse but apparently they stop 2 miles short of my house. You would think I live in the middle of nowhere, judging by the availability of internet where I live but I really don't.

During the hours of 12-7pm, I have constant disconnects of my internet to the point to where it is unuseable. I have tried many, many times to get them to fix it but every phone call and tech visit gets me nothing. It may be OK for a day but after that its back to the same problems. I heard U-Verse is alright but the DSL is terrible. Even if they brought UVerse to me, I wouldn't buy it now. The company is terrible.

I tried getting Comcast but that company is completely inept so it looks like I'm stuck with terrible internet for the rest of my life.

Comments:

David

I can check into this..

if you wish post in direct or let me know.

Thanks
daftwhat

join:2014-02-19
Ravenel, SC

Re: I can check into this..

Sure. I don't know what else can be done. I'm currently replying on my phone right now because the Internet is out yet again.

Review by Pittpharm See Profile

• Location: Pittsburg,Camp,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "DSL in a rual area"
Bad "Only one speed avalibale"
Overall "Has been outdated with no foreseeable upgrades"

Originally had two landlines one for Dialup and the other for regular telephone/alarm use. A good friend of ours that worked for the telephone company came out to our residence (to replace a phone line fried from lightning hitting a tree nearby) and suggested that we cut our bill and get faster internet by getting DSL, he did however mention at the start that we were the last house able to get on it due to distance from the CO that is located downtown. The only speed option available is the slowest tier (AT&T High Speed Express) which is meh. When ordered there was a big box that came in the mail that had roughly 4 filters, 1 wall mount filter, the modem(with all the cables), and a wireless card. Setup was accomplished within 10 minutes and we wondered when the one telephone line would be converted to the DSL. Well the modem had green light telling DSL was active so tried it by loading webpages and wow what a speed demon(remember we had Dial Up before this) and the coolest thing was while I was bouncing off the wall as to the new speed discovered someone called and we were able to talk on the phone and browse the internet at the same time. Minds were blown that day lol.

Fast forward roughly a year and then the original modem(SBC gray one) started flashing lights like a chase from the power to the DSL connection light. Called tech support and had to get 2 people before I could understand one on the line. He did the basic have you unplugged the modem for 30 seconds…push the reset button…ect. After about an hour said modem crashed and I could get a new one for 99 dollars. So said yes and then he made the line back to dialup till the new modem arrived so we could still have internet. (little did I know at the time the DSL modems power adaptors are bad about going out and probably could have bought a 10 dollar power adaptor instead of a whole new modem). New modem came(white AT&T 2wire one) in the mail with 4 new filters and all the cables. Hooked it up and once again was back on the blazing speed.

Roughly year and half later with the addition of a more wireless computers the DSL connection drops a lot and is not as solid as it once was, however in due respect the phone line has been replaced 3 more times within that year for static, or no phone signal at all. Called tech support once for so fed up with connection not be maintained the lady on the phone was very clear and helpful with the modem acting right again for a few days but then back to normal. Power adaptor went out (and caught the modem flashing a red power light so that was giveaway that was the problem) 2 days later had a 10 dollar replacement power adaptor from AT&T and back up and running without even calling customer support.

As mentioned, moving from dialup to DSL initially was mind blowing the speed available, however in 5 going on 6 years of ownership now the technology has been outdated. What I mean by that is there is now 4G wireless available in our rural town that offers atleast double the max speed available of the landline DSL for roughly the same price but has a lower usage cap. Suddenlink the only cable provider in town that can offer faster wired speeds refuses to add to their coverage area though the cable is within .5 miles of our residence. Not to also mention to date can get TV, 15MB and unlimited phone for a cheaper rate than having unlimited calling and the and the 1.3 MB connection through AT&T for$ 120 a month.

So in summary, fortunate to be able to have a wired “fast” internet connection, however as time has progressed it has been outdated with no network upgrades insight. With the next competitor having a better package not expanding coverage thus leaving the mindset of should I go to wireless with a lower cap or just keep wishing that there will be upgrades or the cable company will expand.

Comments:

Review by steevo22 See Profile

• Location: Fullerton,Orange,CA
Good "Cheaper that cable. But not that much"
Bad "Slow speeds, keeps disconnecting. Poor PPPOE connection."
Overall "I cannot recommend AT&T for DSL service. They try like hell to avoid giving you what you want."

ATT offers a 6MB line across the street from me (apartments) with UVERSE. On my side of the street, houses, only "up to 3mb" DSL. Actually across the street they offer 50 Meg now.

I ordered from them for $14.95 a month for a year, the install went OK but the speeds were only about 1.5 MB. I complained for three months and I only got "sorry, that's all the speed your address qualifies for". Translation: That's all you can get without our having to lift a finger. Or get up out of our chair, actually do something.

I told them I expect them to bond pairs which all their equipment and mine supports, but they didn't answer me. Clearly they can bond pairs to improve speeds but they just refuse to do so. They didn't say no, they just didn't respond.

There is a UVERSE VRAD a half block south, an installer said "sure, they could easily give you 6 MB service off that". It would still be the same price, $14.95 a month, by the way.

But they won't. They refuse to do it. They could do it, but they won't.

Finally after three months I finally got to level two tech support, in Kansas City. The guy called me back in a half hour "We found a problem on the ATT network and fixed it". This after complaining for months! The did a "virtual path move". It was much faster, about 2.53 MB. Clearly it was something they did by typing on a keyboard, they didn't really have to do anything. They made me suffer for months, however.

About 4 months later it has slowed down again, it tests about 2.1 or 2.2 MB but it's not sustaining. I haven't yet cajoled my way past the Indian tech support to the guys who can actually fix it. Calling the main AT&T number for technical support is such a monumental waste of time I cannot recommend AT&T for anything.

The justice department should break them up again, like they did 25 years ago. They are all back together now, it was a 25 year plan! It worked perfectly. For them, and no one else.

UPDATE: They raised the price to $46 a month, still very slow and nearly unusable. I complained and it was lowered to $29 a month for a couple months then they raised it again. I didn't pay and I am waiting for them to contact me since I have been almost entirely unsuccessful contacting them. Not sure how well that strategy will work but I don't have a lot of options here.

I continue to demand they bond pairs to improve speeds. For all the good that seems to do. None, I'd say so far.

They finally contacted me and demanded I migrate to Uverse, but it's slow Uverse DSL. They sent me a new Uverse modem/router that I had to install, and it's not any faster. I have a lot of trouble. Can't stream any audio at all, it starts and stops.

The migrated me for their convenience, but they have still refused to bond pairs or fix the speed problem.

AT&T is a very difficult company to do business with today.
They only have the one telephone number, the one that ends in 2020. Most of the other numbers seem to end up there.

When you call them for whatever reason they transfer you all over the world. My DSL was down today and I spoke to (and explained the problem to) 6 different reps over the course of about 45 minutes before I got anyone who could deal with it.

Each one slavishly asked me to verify the phone number they could call "if we were disconnected". Today I was actually disconnected two times and despite their carefully wasting my time and brain cells verifying the number to call no one ever called. It was left to me to call them back, explaining my problem, verifying the account number ad nauseum.

I find their business model to be outrageous. It would be better for the world if they did not exist.

They could change that but I doubt they will.
I don't think they see a problem. If they were not the incumbent local exchange carrier no one would deal with them willingly. I sure wouldn't.

UPDATE: January 2014. I finally got some initiative and got Time Warner in instead of ATT Uverse DSL. The ATT line was just too slow, in fact I had much more trouble after they migrated me to Uverse DSL than I had on ATM DSL.

So on January 9, 2014 TWC installed a 15 MB line for $34.99 a month. I called AT&T to have the service disconnected on January 9 and I disconnected their equipment.

No problem, right? Haha. They left it on. I got another bill, the phone rep I talked to failed to cancel the account on the 9th. I contacted ATT and a guy called me back from their corporate "office of the president" department and explained I would be getting cancelled and I would be getting a refund check. I got another bill through the month owing more. They still didn't cancel it on the date I disconnected their equipment.

AT&T, the company that just keeps on giving. They are real slugs. The funny part of all this is, clearly they have the ability to give me good service. Clearly they could do it without it costing them one red cent. But they have frustrated my attempts to get good service from them, and now it's come to this.

I have to say, internet is the new POTS. We are 14 years into the 21st century for crissake. This stuff all needs to be regulated. Every address in the country should be able to get a lifeline internet of at least 15 MB for $25 or less, and that should just be required, or we'll get a new wireline carrier to come in and take over the cable plant and the PSTN to provide it.

Comments:

Only uverse

@sbcglobal.net

Pair bonding for UVERSE only!

AT&T will not spend $ on legacy DSL, so your request for pair bonding will not happen. UVERSE is where the $ is going. Now 2 reasons as to why u dont qualify for UVERSE, you are over 5k ft from VRAD. Or the database is wrong, i've seen where two houses side by side served by the same terminal, one labeled Uverse green yet the other red. Why? Dont know. It takes a ATT engineer to change that. Best bet, talk to a field supervisor and ask politely if he/she can contact the engineer for your area and look into it.

Dont call the business office, they will have no clue! Good luck
steevo22

join:2002-10-17
Fullerton, CA

Re: Pair bonding for UVERSE only!

They migrated me a month ago to Uverse DSL, still very slow and still refusing to bond pairs.
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

Watched AT&T linemen take down lines not in service today..

A while back AT&T replaced the old 8" pole out front with a taller 10" pole.

The power company moved their transformer and services lines over, so did the cable co..

Today was the day for At&t to move their lines from the old pole, out of 15 pair terminal block servicing 7 houses, only one pair was active.

I had them take down my old steel pairs which haven't been used in several years.
I removed the remaining legacy lines from the exterior of my house. (less visual clutter now). The linemen also cut down the remaining lines not in service.

Over the 10 years or so, my aDSL service(bridged, 1.5Mb/384k) w 50% headroom, turned into dog shit(less than 384k, Uverse crosstalk), voice service nothing to rave about.

Each time I plug my address in the check uverse availability, it comes back with max offering of 768Kb (which I know even that won't work). A few days later, at&t mail's to me an advertising flier.. claiming to offer a years up to 3Mb service(never going to happen) @ 15$/mo +(required voice line @40$/mo).. NOT!!!

But it goes to show you.. just how far at&t will neglect their infrastructure.

Up the speed

Up the speed

I've been told by uverse techs that in order to get pair bonding/iNID install, you have to sign up to att highest offered speed. But after the install, you can downgrade and they will not return to undo it all. So i've been told and thinking of trying!

Gilitar

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL
·AT&T Southeast

AT&T and customer perception

AT&T is shooting themselves in the foot by leaving too many customers without U Verse upgrades. I for one ported my wireless service to another carrier since they have shown no interest in upgrading my neighborhood. If they won't give us what we need; I refuse to give them what they want.... MY MONEY!

Granite City, IL

if you guys/gals have service issues...

we don't mind working on these things in direct or drop me an IM or email.

THanks

Review by AUSTraveler See Profile

• Location: Austin,Hays,TX
Good "Used to be reliable"
Bad "Now service is really slow at night (coincidentally when UVerse became available?)"
Overall "Unsure about sticking with AT&T"

I was able to get promotional credits applied by extending my contract for 12 months and adding complete choice basic to my telephone services. At the time, HSI Elite was the fastest AT&T could offer in my area, and I had threatened leaving for TWC.

Since getting that offer, AT&T has dug splice pits to offer UVerse. However, their database had my address listed as non UVerse until I provided a neighbor's address (who had UVerse recently installed). Also, less than 2 miles away in the same subdivision, they are offering GigaPower, but at my address the best they can offer is the 18Mbps service.

I'm debating going over to TWC since they can offer me faster speed. I'm currently only using OTA and TiVos, and if the pricing is best with triple play packages, I'm not sure I want to deal with UVerse's equipment vs. using CableCards if I can also get faster internet. Need to further analyze.

Comments:

Review by Lou_n_Di See Profile

• Location: Seymour,New Haven,CT
Good "reliable service"
Bad "Some issues with their EMAIL"
Overall "OK for the price,"

ATT-Yahoo---the old SNET
1500/325 line speeds--measures a consistent 1271/312
CO fed at 12,975 feet with NO RTs at my location so thats as good as it gets---
No issues with service outages
Some issues with their EMAIL servers
Self installed a long while ago----no issues--still running with the old Speed Stream DSL modem through a NETGEAR WGR614v7 Router-- WIN XP PRO SP2 on all PC's
Life is good!
12/31/09
Well it's been a WHILE---
Still with ATT-yahoo---No issues. Email works very well...Speed is fine for the price.
never an issue with service outages.
Upgraded to a new Motorola DSL modem---The old Speed Stream finally failed. We still have the old reliable 614 Netgear router...
11/6/12
No changes---Some issues with the email server...Same reliable service at a fair price.
Haven't found a need to upgrade to faster speeds...NO kids home
02/07/14
I'm FINALLY making the switch from DSL to cable----the service call is set for next week so it's BYE-BYE old reliable $36/month 1.5Mbs service
HELLO $53/month 25Mbs cable ($29/month for the first 12 months)....Thank-you ATT for the MANY years of reliable service!

member for 13.2 years, 3157 visits, last login: a few hours ago