AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by netwerp See Profile

• Location: Evans,Columbia,GA
Good "Price, Speed: 6+ mbs, runs multiple Netflicks, youtube & games, no contract"
Bad "Frequent line drops by modem - haven't been able to determine the source."
Overall "Want improved service."

We have two competing cable companies here, Comcast and Knology (now "WOW". Knology based in Charleston, SC, sold to "WOW", aka gowow.com.) I've had contracts with both. I no longer want a contract. Customer service with Comcast is infamous; Knology wasn't much better when I had it and GoWOW, while reputedly very good, has not made competitive offers. I needed to get another ADSL+ modem or modem-router to determine if the fault is with the line or service or if it's just my Dlink modem-router. Speed was good enough but the service got connection drops when things got busy on weekends and after school let out on Friday. I ordered the premium speed rate available here for DSL but without a land line telephone and no cable or satellite TV. I used my own modem because I found it's cheaper than paying rent. I got money back (rewards) from AT&T as incentive to switch from cable and because I use my own equipment. Speed is guaranteed to be 6 mbs . My modem-router is a Dlink DSL-2640B. Setting up the modem for DSL was a problem and took me a couple weeks to get it right. I chose AT&T DSL for the price advantage, no contract and the monetary rewards. And also for the experience of using and setting up DSL. Another (security) advantage is that my IP changes whenever there's a line drop. However, this seems to be standard operating procedure among ISPs. Changed back to Comcast no contract in 2012.

Comments:

Review by aarcherr See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "no problems connecting everytime"
Overall "price becomes the factor!"

Although I have no trouble day to day, I believe that at&t's company focus is not for dsl or others who can't get the new uverse product. It is alarming that pricing and connectivity are not the focus, but to sling everyone possible to uverse by downgrading the dsl service to make people switch.

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

if you are having problems...

We can work on it.

Review by Smileykat See Profile

• Location: Porterville,Tulare,CA
Good "It was great at first."
Bad "Service quality deteriorated, Left for Cable Internet."
Overall "Good for saving money, bad if you want a decent connection."

I had AT&T DSL since 2008, after switching from Clearwire. It was great at first, self installation was ok. They sent me a lackluster 2wire 2701 HG-B cpe though. It died about a year later, then they sent me a new one. Service is kinda meh. I moved to a new house across the town in 2010, and when they switched the lines, they switched our landline to the new residence, but the DSL circuit was still active at the old house! No internet for almost two weeks As for speed I had the 1.5mbps package, speed was consistent (about a steady 1.1mbp/s D / 300kb/s U) with fairly low latency, until recently within the past year or so. I heard that the 2wire equipment tends to get bad as it ages, so I bought a TP-Link TD-8816. It helped a bit, but by now I have a new problem, namely lack of bandwidth. I tried to upgrade my speed, and all they could offer is 3mbps speed, since U-verse deployment in town is very spotty., and it's the IPDSLAM one, not the good one So in the end, I jumped the ship to Charter and their nice 30/4 package. I am still having a hard time trying to cancel my DSL service though. Calling them is always a pain worse than anything...

Comments:

Review by JTX See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Fast"
Overall "Worthwhile"

I've been using DSL for 6+ years through ATT-YAHOO-SBC-DSL. I have their ELITE speed and I receive the speeds advertized.

Comments:

Review by moes See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
  • Telco party SBC
Good "price"
Bad "Speeds have gone nuts."
Overall "Great Service and great price"

·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online
I have had service since 04 with these guys, while it's been stable for most of those years. the last 6 months have been bad, I am not sure what is going on anymore with them.

I have good signals, my speed while constant between 6am to 2pm. dies off at 2:30 everyday and hardly anything wants to work right, my lag in games is so bad after 2:30pm est, that I am hardly able to play games.

Here is my stats from the modem

Current Rate: 3008 kbs 512 kbs
Max Rate: 8128 kbs 1160 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin: 18.0 dB 21.0 dB
Current Attenuation: 21.0 dB 12.0 dB
Current Output Power: 1.4 dB 7.2 dB

These hardly change. the 7.2db does down to 4 when things run normal. but as I said after 2:30pm it goes to 7.2 or higher.

member for 5 years, 1778 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Lagz See Profile

• Location: The Rock
Good "I cant remember the last outtage, it has been so long"
Bad "CAPS because they now want to protect their new U-verse TV service"
Overall "Caps are bad. This has really made me think more and more about switching to the competitor."

Update: it seems that during peak times, streaming from certain sites such as Youtube are throttled on my regular DSL line. I now have caps to think about and being that I only have DSL my caps are 150gb a month. Comcast is a competitor in the area and have a 250gb cap. If I want to go over that 150gb cap then I have to either switch to U-verse or to Comcast or get charged $10 per 50gb over. Umm if I go over and start getting extra charges then I will switch to Comcast.

member for 14.2 years, 2207 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by luckyme See Profile

• Location: Canoga Park,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Quick response"
Bad "$55 service charge to move my phone jack"
Overall "Good value for money"

I requested a 6.0 service plan, my billing reflects the 3.0 plan but speed tests are a higher rate. I'm anxious to see if this continues.

member for 14.6 years, 1318 visits, last login: 168 days ago

Comments:

Review by speeddream See Profile

• Location: Irving,Dallas,TX
Good "I have 4 computers and all of them can get online at the same time, no issues"
Bad "That I have to have phone service when I do not use the phone. UVERSE not offered in the place where I live"
Overall "I have used AT&T since year 2000. I would not have stayed with them this long, if I was not happy."

This is not a pumped up review. Over the years, there have been a few instances that I can recall that I had with the connection. It ended up being the dsl modem that AT&T initially gave me back in 2000. On this occasion, a guy came out to check it out. He replaced the box outside and gave me another brand new updated modem at no charge. My connection has been up and running straight with no problems at all for at least 3 years. It used to be that when we had really bad storms that their might be a temporary outage but, that has not happened in years. The $68.50 that I mentioned for the total cost, 28.00 is for the Internet High Speed and the rest is for the phone line that I have to have here due to the fact that Verizon owns the wires here and AT&T leases the wires from Verizon. At least that is how I justify it. It is legit or else I would be able to get UVERSE. I am not very far at all from the AT&T service provider so it is not a matter of distance. I check my speed about an hour ago anon at 5600/658 something like that. I will check again in a second. Oh, I just looked to the left for the information requested for the review. Initially, they gave me a Speedstream 5100. Then later, the gentlemen that came out to replace box outside gave me Westell ADSL-2 Router. I just checked it for the model and date on it is July 2009. Verizon is constantly spamming my actual physical postal mail box with offers for me to hook up with them and the FIOS. Oh well, they burned me once before, shame on them. I am happy with AT&T unless they go up on my monthly bill and then I will look around. That is not to say that I would switch to another provider though.

Comments:

Review by DSLbyAir See Profile

• Location: Gulfport,Harrison,MS
Good "really fast connection speed"
Bad "fiber is not on a sonet ring"
Overall "had to get a backup connection"

Finally got upgraded to a Metro E curciut. 20meg up / down

It took over 120 days to install the fiber into the building. AT&T still has poor customer service since they took over Bellsouth. They still treat Bellsouth as a separate company. I guess they do this so that they have someone to point a finger to when things get bogged down.

member for 11.6 years, 1981 visits, last login: 26 days ago

Comments:

Review by treetop66 See Profile

Good "100%"
Bad "40%"
Overall "its good"

i am very satified with my service its fast and very accurate i can do just bout anything with it i decided to add a free wifi so it would be easier and fastef thank u dal