AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by racer9876 See Profile

• Location: Rosamond,Kern,CA
Good "Stable Speeds. Reliable."
Bad "ATM/PPPoE overhead. Eats lots of the available bandwidth."
Overall "The only game in town..."

·Charter
·Antelecom
This is the only broadband provider for my location. Also thanks to the copper length being over 11000ft from the CO I can only get the 3/512 package. The ATM/PPPoE overhead further reduces this down to 2.5/430. The connection itself is reliable and stable when it works. I can get the full speed of the available 2.5/430 24/7 when it works.

I kicked ATT to the curb and got a new ISP that is cheaper, faster, and more reliable.

member for 14.3 years, 6314 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by FrogProf See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "best option at the time (2003), does what it says, decent speed"
Bad "frustrating and confusing login process, new bandwidth caps, antiquated now (2011)"
Overall "Go with cable."

When we signed up with AT&T DSL eight years ago, it was SBC Global and it was the fastest, most reasonably-priced option. The initial service was very good, too. We were coming from DSL with a defunct ISP (Telocity), and before that we had had dial-up with Everyone's Internet and, before that, Earthlink. So, from our perspective, we were continually upgrading.

We stayed with AT&T out of inertia and because they were pretty good and the service was pretty good and we didn't know of a better alternative.

When they added AT&T U-verse to their offerings, they didn't do a good job of updating their login pages, and I was switched from page to repetitive page and told that my account was unavailable (all via dialog boxes) every time I tried to log in, change my password, or start over.

And this fall Time Warner Cable (Road Runner) put on a very attractive switch-to-them campaign.

I used DSLReports speed tests and compared what I was getting (avg. 1.4 Mbps down and 300 Kbps up) with what AT&T advertises (up to 3Mbps up and up to 384 Kbps down) and what Time Warner advertises (up to 10Mbps down and 2Mbps up). Well, duh. And AT&T had recently implemented line caps, whereas Time Warner had tried that and given up. Also, we felt that the quality of the AT&T service had degraded.

The final straw was an outage we experienced when AT&T was excavating our neighbor's yard. We called, and spent half an hour on the phone with a tech support person who insisted on reading the script all the way through and didn't listen to what we were saying. So we hung up in disgust and went out to the front yard and settled the matter with the workers out there in about 5 minutes. The next day, we called Time Warner and switched to cable.

I've written good reviews of AT&T here in the past, and I'm not intending to bash them now. But for us, at this time, service with them no longer makes technical or financial sense. YMMV.

Comments:

Review by dmsciarrino

• Location: Auburn,Placer,CA
Good "No good."
Bad "Everything"
Overall "They suck. No reliability. No speed. It doesn;t work."

I try to stream video from AT&T and it grinds to a halt.
I'm supposed to get 1.5MB download speed and I get 48kb!
Two of three nights in a row.

This does not count waiting on the phone for 2 hours trying to fix a problem that they charge me for! If there were true competition in the market, they would have been out of business years ago.They truly suck!

Where is wideband? Where is anything other than AT&T? Comcast?
Give me a break!

David Sciarrino

(review was emailed from domain pacbell.net)

• Location: 60642
Good "Nothing comes to mind"
Bad "Inadequate accounts receivable processes"
Overall "Your life will be easier if you spend your money elsewhere"

We were an At&t customer and ended up canceling our DSL to go with another =
option. We were informed that there would be a bill for a partial balance =
sent to us, which seems completely logical and appropriate. We received t=
he bill and to the best of my recollection, paid it. Roughly 60 days later=
, we received another bill for the same amount $80. I honestly couldn't re=
member if I paid the original at that point, so I paid it again. A month o=
r so goes by and we receive a refund check in the mail from At&t stating we=
double paid. The check was for the $80. I deposited the check and figu=
red the ordeal was over.......not so fast.....it was just beginning. I'd p=
eriodically receive the same bill for $80 in the mail and decided to do not=
hing about it, it was clearly an error on their part, after all, they sent=
me a check and admitted their error. I'm next contacted by a collections =
agency for the $80. After several conversations with the collections agenc=
y explaining what happened, I thanked them for their interest but requested=
they send my account back to At&t stating it's been paid in full. And, if=
At&t doesn't return your call, please call them with the frequency you cal=
led me.

Well done At&t, you demonstrate why you continue to lose market share.

Mike McDonald
Chicago, IL

(review was emailed from domain primeadvantage.com)

Comments:

Review by InterNic See Profile

• Location: Hialeah,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Tech support are very quick to help and send technicians fast"
Bad "Keeps dropping"
Overall "It's all due to "conversion""

I am a Clear Wire victim that turned to ATT DSL when I was told I can't get Uverse unless I tossed them a $500 non-refundable "deposit".

Let me break it down.

We moved here in April and the first place we called for tv/internet service was ATT Uverse because my in-laws have them and they are amazing.

We were quoted a non-refundable $500 deposit for this service. We turned them down and started looking for alternatives.

We called Comcast and were told they do not service our area at all.

Then we discovered DirecTv is king in our neighborhood for tv, and we got a sweet bulk discount rate so we went with them for our television addiction.

For internet, our only choice - at the time, was ClearWire. 5 months later we were throttled for no reason. So badly, in fact, they released us from our contract without penalty when we called to complain. Even then couldn't explain why we were being throttled so to legally protect themselves, they released us.

We called ATT and got DSL to replace Clear. From day one we've had nothing but issues with their internet dropping us several times an hour on a bad day and a few times every few hours on a good day. They sent no less than 6 technicians to our place. They've checked the outside, inside, and everything in between and still we get dropped.

I had enough so I called again today and was told we would need to downgrade from 6.0 to 3.0 orrrrrrr we could just convert to their Uverse service.....for free! They waived the equipment fee and deposit. Also, when we send our modem back they will refund the full price we paid for it.

The reason they are doing this is because my whole area is being converted from DSL to Uverse so they are making it as cheap and easy as possible. In the meantime, those who insist on keeping DSL will have to downgrade their service or keep getting dropped every few minutes due to the technology being faded out.

Of course, this is according to the salesperson I spoke to at ATT. Whether that is all true is beyond me. Just so I do get to convert to Uverse free, I don't care.

I'll write a Uverse review once we get settled in, in a few weeks. My past experience with is has been phenomenal. We lived with my in-laws for 2 years and we had Uverse tv and internet for half of that time. It was super fast and never gave us any issues. But that was their house, no telling how it will work in the condo we live in now. Stay tuned!

Comments:

Review by Ptomaine See Profile

• Location: Beaver Dam,Dodge,WI
Good "Naked DSL. No phone service required"
Bad "price is a bit high, but still $35 less than when I was required to have a phone."

I came back to AT&T.. I had switched to Charter only to get crappy TV service and 1/4 the advertised internet speed. The only options in town were AT&T or Charter.

AT&T has been a rock solid connection with 85-90% of the advertised 3K speed.

Total cost is $42 a month: it cost an extra $5 because I do not have phone service. I still had the 2 Wire modem/router (now five years old and still going strong) so no additional equipment was needed.

member for 11.5 years, 3761 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by peterponds See Profile

• Location: Lula,Hall,GA
Good "rotten lying scum"
Bad "throttling"
Overall "good while intro special lasts"

8-29-11 update i'm remembering how much i hate ATT. have at least 3 hours calling and waiting on hold trying to cancel service. AND IT'S STILL NOT DONE.

8-24-11 update did their 12 month special of 6 MB down for 19.95. much better experience this time. always (almost) on. but experienced considerable throttling after download activity. other than that it was a good experience. switching to cable now that special expiring.

update 10/22 connection drops out frequently.
i see "connection has timed out" ALOT

do you like crappy service?
like dishonest corp advertising?
like lying scum support techs?

if so then sign right up. this is the company for u.

nothing good to say about AT&T

Comments:

Review by ignatz13 See Profile

• Location: Spiro,Le Flore,OK
Good "Worked great for awhile"
Bad "Absolutely useless after 6PM and getting worse earlier."
Overall "Can't wait until I can switch providers"

We've had AT&T DSL Elite about 3 years. We were consistently getting the speeds that we were told that we would have and disconnects were rare and short in duration. About 3 or 4 months ago problems started. Usually starting in the evenings around 6PM, our speed would drop drastically and disconnects would happen about once or twice an hour.

We called Tech Support several times and was told to make sure we had filters on all of the lines, told to take filters off of the lines, clear our cache, etc. I am not technically savvy, but I know when I'm being given the runaround as none of these corrected the problem. It seems the problem is always on our end and not on AT&T's.

We finally got a repairman to come out about 2 months ago. He put a filter in the box outside and sold me a new Westell F90 modem which is in bridge mode with a Linksys WRT-120N router. He also took the old modem with him that I had bought. Everything seemed to be corrected for about 3 days and then we were right back to the slow speed and more frequent disconnects.

We lose our connection anywhere from 10 to 20 or more times a day. These last from a few seconds to 3 or 4 minutes. Trying to watch a video on YouTube or Netflix is almost impossible as they are constantly buffering.

I ran a speedtest on the 23rd of August with a server approximately 50 miles away and our download was 0.18Mb/s, upload 0.10Mb/s, and ping was 1637ms. I ran the test again today, the 28th and our download was 1.48Mb/s, upload 0.20Mb/s, and ping was 188ms.

Comments:

Review by MuscogeeDave See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Muscogee,GA
Good "Cheaper than cable."
Bad "Slower available speeds."
Overall "Cheaper than what I was paying, overall a good value for the speed I have."

I left Charter because I got tired of paying out the nose for internet, my only use for internet is surfing and email so the switch to a lower priced competitor made sense. I was told that the 1.5 service is the only service that was available in my area so that is what I have, no problems so far. Did notice that 2 Wire 2701HG-B rebooted by itself last night. Overall, AT&T has been good and steady. The cheaper price is what it's all about for me.

Comments:

Review by Soteria See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Tarrant,TX
Good "When connected, it's fine"
Bad "Drops connection regularly and without rhyme or reason"
Overall "Have to reset (unplug) sometimes 4x a day"

Tried Sprint Overdrive. Lousy battery... switched back to DSL hoping there would be no problems but frustrated at the inconsistent service. And cannot find a support phone number to speak to someone on the phone.

member for 11.7 years, 646 visits, last login: 3.2 years ago