AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Good "Excellent connection"
Bad "IMO no bad points"
Overall "always works"

()()())()(UPDATE 9-2-13)()()()()()

Still on the AT&T DSL ELITE plan. Now paying less then last review. $27 per month for 6meg down ELITE service.

AT&T DSL just simply works!

As stated in previous reviews I would experience some issues in spring each year when the rainy season is here. This finally got resolved this year. A new drop was buried to my house from the pedestal. It was original and about 40 years old. Somehow it had deteriorated to the point that wet ground would affect the performance. All is well now.

I am just very pleased with the DSL service from the beginning in 2004. It has just always worked and worked well. Still using the original Speedstream modem supplied to me. Barring some network maintenance or other issue which has been slim to minimal in 9 years there has been no outages or other issues to be concerned with.

)()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()(

******UPDATE 7-10-11*********

I changed to the ELITE 6meg plan a few months ago.

I had it before but scaled back due to price at the time. I negotiated with the CSR and get the ELITE at $30 a month.

For the most part it still works great. There has been however some glitches. Typically each year in the spring I experience alot of random disconnects and issues maintaining constant speed. This happens when it is very wet with rain and windy as it often is in the spring around here. When the rain stops and it dries up then the service is solid again. But as soon as it starts raining the problem comes right back. It is now july as I write this and we haven't had any signifigant rain in some time and the service has been great.

I don't know what the problem is and have called service several times this year. The problem affects the phone line as well. When the rain comes there is alot of static on the line. Of course this is what affects the DSL signal. In my neighbor hood the lines are all underground so I presume the issue must be outside the neighborhood.

*******************************************

I have had the AT&T dsl for four plus years. In this time there were two evenings that the service did not work due to some regional work being done. Otherwise it has always been there. Started out with the basic pakage up to 1.5m for a year. Toward the end of the year I was contacted by AT&T stating that my term was almost done and that they could now offer me a faster speed for 2 dollars less per month and did I want to take advantage. Well of course. Toward the end of the second year again same kind of contact from AT&T. This time they could double my speed (up to 6m) for the same price I was currently paying. Of course I opted to take this offer and have been getting this same service since. Always pleased with the service from AT&T,SBC, IL bell, whatever is their name. You can always pick up the phone and know it will work, you can always go online and know you will access the net.

9/22/09 Still with ATT dsl. Simply put it works. Sometime ago they introduced a new pricing structure. 20$,25$,30$ or 35$ a month. no contract. I am on the 30$ a month plan which is 3meg down. Tests average 2.6 down. It's ok with me. My kids youtube lile mad and I NEVER have a problem with my connection.

8/19/10*****************************

Still with AT&T DSL. Price has gone up three bucks across the board. Still on the pro plan for 3megs down. It works and works well. I cann not recall having an outage or other failure in this past year. Kids still youtube like crazy and I have added a ROKU for streaming Netflix. All works excellent.

member for 10.5 years, 3011 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

LKF

@sbcglobal.net

AT&T Internet Service

Being charged extra for streaming NETFLIX .
I'm going over the Allowed amount of usage???
Is there something else out there or are all providers doing this?
BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
·AT&T DSL Service

Re: AT&T Internet Service

What!?
Are you saying that you get an additional charge on your bill for Netflix streaming?

AT&T does have caps for allowed usage as many providers do.

I stream Netflix on my AT&T connection and have never been charged extra for doing so or been notified that I went over a limit. I stream quite a bit in my opinion.

Netflix does allow you to choose from three different streaming feeds to help control your bandwidth usage. It is found under your account page at Netflix site.

Review by wobblerlorri See Profile

• Location: Bremen,Haralson,GA
Good "Reliable, always up"
Bad "Really slow upload, download isn't all that great either"
Overall "If it's all you can get, it's better than dial-up"

We switched from Charter to AT&T about 6 years ago, but I wish we hadn't. At the time, Charter was really spotty and dropped a LOT. AT&T has only had one severe outage I can remember, but DSL is dinosaur technology now. On average we get 6.8 Mbps down, .475 Mbps up -- that doesn't even compare with AT&T U-verse.

Right now we're trying to decide between going back to Charter or going with the U-verse Max.

Comments:

Review by ssar See Profile

• Location: Paron,Saline,AR
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Promise the service and fail"
Overall "Avoid if you can't probably can't because the wonderful monopoly"

·Cablelynx
Kept promising UVerse and DSL and everytime we would order they'd just cancel without any notification. I really wish there was some alternatives in America, but unfortunately your stuck with one or two providers if your lucky.

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

Still having DSL problems?

we can help.

Nemedi

@myvzw.com

internet service.

I was out of town for five days. I was able to access the internet the day I left. When I returned I found I no longer had access. I bought a new modem. AT&T technical services has been no help other trying to sell new equipment. I just want my service restored.

Review by gstanz67 See Profile

• Location: Vallejo,Solano,CA
Good "NOTHING.....stay away from ATT"
Bad "Signed up for unlimited service and now im getting metered.....Im gone"
Overall "BOYCOT AT&T until they get rid of their metered service"

UPDATE** I WILL BE LEAVING att AS SOON AS I FINDANOTHER isp....THEY HAVE STARTED METERED SERVICE AND I SIGNED UP FOR UNLIMITED.I HAVE BEEN 100 GB OVER MY QUOTAS EVERY MONTH SINCE THEY STARTED...SO ATT CAN KISS MY ASS

Comments:

Review by vibsdj See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "It rocks!"
Bad "Excellent"
Overall "Very smooth install and consistent service at a great price"

There is a toll free number that ATT/Bellsouth tells you to cal 24/7 fir support. Whenever you call it, you get two options, press 1 for billing and press 2 for sales. There is NO option for tech support.

Thank heavens for dslreports. I was able to read the feedback, blogs and tweaks and using DrTCP was able to tweak my RWIN and MTU and get the 6Mbps download I am paying for.

I was told to avoid the ATT self diagnostic tool, that's fine because it doesn't work anyway at this speed.

Many thanks to my friends at dslreports.

Comments:

Review by sigmtr See Profile

• Location: Danville,Vermilion,IL
Good "Reliable service, but too slow for the money"
Bad "6 Meg Elite really only 5 Meg down"
Overall "Heading to cable as soon as they bury a drop to me"

Have been on AT&T DSL since Insight was replaced by Comcast in my area. Had heard bad things about Comcast, but they have gotten their act together around here and I have to give them a try.

Steady price increases, and the bundling with mostly un-used POTS phone service has lead to my total bill being over $82/mo. Even at a non-promotional rate, Comcast's Performance Internet is something like $64.99/mo and then there's always some VoIP service if you still want a landline compatible phone service.

No hope for U-verse in my area, at least the fiber kind, although they are offering U-verse DSL to businesses at very low data rates.

Comments:

Review by theyalllie See Profile

• Location: Red Oak,Ellis,TX
Overall "turned my dsl off because they said I didn't pay for Uverse in Florida ( no account there)"

We were happy with their service untill they added uverse to my tele-branched business line in Florida. Turned my dsl of in texas for A SERVICE I didn't have in Florida (don't live there). Told me I had uverse and dsl at the same address in Texas. Impossible and they never have offerred uverse here. I do have 2 csbles coming up like they thought ii might soneday.

Comments:

Review by TIGERON See Profile

• Location: Pacifica,San Mateo,CA
Good "great advertising"
Bad "highway robbery"
Overall "expensive dsl for 3 megs a month"

·AT&T Yahoo
for $43.00 dollars a month, I get a lousy less than 3-meg speed and what's worse is that AT&T cannot increase it to 6-meg.

I honestly wish that AT&T would just sell off their dsl and copper infrastructure to sonic.net. I have friends who have sonic and their service is not only more than double the speed, robust and reliable over AT&T, but much cheaper.

AT&T : you advertise U-verse in my area and yet it's not available, and your high-speed internet as best in it's class. I call your bullshit for what it is : We pay $43.00 dollars a month for less than 3-meg speed and barely does it ever hold up to your greedy lying promises. You also have a 150GB monthly cap in place to which you don't tell your subscribers about.

This is highway robbery.

Comments:

att die now

@ameritech.net

att price hike

I pay 35 for 1.5mpbs, I know at&t is bull shit. because i used to pay 25 for 1.5mbps

try petitioning the fcc

»www.change.org/petition

Review by netwerp See Profile

• Location: Evans,Columbia,GA
Good "Price, Speed: 6+ mbs, runs multiple Netflicks, youtube & games, no contract"
Bad "Frequent line drops by modem - haven't been able to determine the source."
Overall "Want improved service."

We have two competing cable companies here, Comcast and Knology (now "WOW". Knology based in Charleston, SC, sold to "WOW", aka gowow.com.) I've had contracts with both. I no longer want a contract. Customer service with Comcast is infamous; Knology wasn't much better when I had it and GoWOW, while reputedly very good, has not made competitive offers. I needed to get another ADSL+ modem or modem-router to determine if the fault is with the line or service or if it's just my Dlink modem-router. Speed was good enough but the service got connection drops when things got busy on weekends and after school let out on Friday. I ordered the premium speed rate available here for DSL but without a land line telephone and no cable or satellite TV. I used my own modem because I found it's cheaper than paying rent. I got money back (rewards) from AT&T as incentive to switch from cable and because I use my own equipment. Speed is guaranteed to be 6 mbs . My modem-router is a Dlink DSL-2640B. Setting up the modem for DSL was a problem and took me a couple weeks to get it right. I chose AT&T DSL for the price advantage, no contract and the monetary rewards. And also for the experience of using and setting up DSL. Another (security) advantage is that my IP changes whenever there's a line drop. However, this seems to be standard operating procedure among ISPs. Changed back to Comcast no contract in 2012.

Comments:

Review by unclebg See Profile

• Location: Healdsburg,Sonoma,CA
Good "better than it used to be"
Bad "TOO da.. expensive. Refuse to change anything due to U-verse"
Overall "If I could find something else that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg, I'd be outta here!"

·AT&T Yahoo
I can't really say anything good about ATT DSL. They keep changing my package every time they do something to U-verse. Went from $30 to $

40 in a matter of a couple of months. Called and told them to put me back where I was. I was in not so polite terms, We can't change your speed or cost now that U-verse is available in your area. And she said you can always go to someone else!!! Boy AT&T is really getting too big for their britches.

If I could afford to go with someone else I would. But too many hoops to jump thru, along with hook-up cost and other assorted crap. I will keep these animals for as long as I have to, but as soon as I can bail, I WILL!!! Don't trust these guys as far as you can throw them. Real pain to work with. Won't cut any slack nor give someone a break. Fixed income and ATT just don't work at all together!

Comments:

death of DSL

@sbcglobal.net

trying to be like Comcast, all IP based!

AT&T is forcingly moving customers from the "old" DSL to the "new" Uverse DSL. AT&T is calling it an upgrade when in all realities its just a way for them to move away from being regulated to IP based services which are not regulated. Bottom line they can and will do anything they want once you are all IP based!

To all new customer, if you are told DSL is not available. That just uverse is, its a lie! ATT policy is to put everyone on IP based services. Older DSL is not an IP based service.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19

Re: trying to be like Comcast, all IP based!

Doesnt your old legacy adsl1 have a IP address?
Dont get fooled,CO based adsl2 is being branded as uverse but in fact is just different flavor of the same thing.