AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by gstanz67 See Profile

• Location: Vallejo,Solano,CA
Good "NOTHING.....stay away from ATT"
Bad "Signed up for unlimited service and now im getting metered.....Im gone"
Overall "BOYCOT AT&T until they get rid of their metered service"

UPDATE** I WILL BE LEAVING att AS SOON AS I FINDANOTHER isp....THEY HAVE STARTED METERED SERVICE AND I SIGNED UP FOR UNLIMITED.I HAVE BEEN 100 GB OVER MY QUOTAS EVERY MONTH SINCE THEY STARTED...SO ATT CAN KISS MY ASS

Comments:

Review by vibsdj See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "It rocks!"
Bad "Excellent"
Overall "Very smooth install and consistent service at a great price"

There is a toll free number that ATT/Bellsouth tells you to cal 24/7 fir support. Whenever you call it, you get two options, press 1 for billing and press 2 for sales. There is NO option for tech support.

Thank heavens for dslreports. I was able to read the feedback, blogs and tweaks and using DrTCP was able to tweak my RWIN and MTU and get the 6Mbps download I am paying for.

I was told to avoid the ATT self diagnostic tool, that's fine because it doesn't work anyway at this speed.

Many thanks to my friends at dslreports.

Comments:

Review by sclement See Profile

• Location: Spanish Fort,Baldwin,AL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Consistently okay"
Bad "Relatively slow performance compared to local cable (20 Mbps)"
Overall "For this price could be faster-still IMHO"

Comcast D/L was 8MB vs ATT @ 5.8 - sounds de minimus but perceived as much faster

Comments:

Review by sigmtr See Profile

• Location: Danville,Vermilion,IL
Good "Reliable service, but too slow for the money"
Bad "6 Meg Elite really only 5 Meg down"
Overall "Heading to cable as soon as they bury a drop to me"

Have been on AT&T DSL since Insight was replaced by Comcast in my area. Had heard bad things about Comcast, but they have gotten their act together around here and I have to give them a try.

Steady price increases, and the bundling with mostly un-used POTS phone service has lead to my total bill being over $82/mo. Even at a non-promotional rate, Comcast's Performance Internet is something like $64.99/mo and then there's always some VoIP service if you still want a landline compatible phone service.

No hope for U-verse in my area, at least the fiber kind, although they are offering U-verse DSL to businesses at very low data rates.

Comments:

Review by theyalllie See Profile

• Location: Red Oak,Ellis,TX
Overall "turned my dsl off because they said I didn't pay for Uverse in Florida ( no account there)"

We were happy with their service untill they added uverse to my tele-branched business line in Florida. Turned my dsl of in texas for A SERVICE I didn't have in Florida (don't live there). Told me I had uverse and dsl at the same address in Texas. Impossible and they never have offerred uverse here. I do have 2 csbles coming up like they thought ii might soneday.

Comments:

Review by TIGERON See Profile

• Location: Pacifica,San Mateo,CA
Good "great advertising"
Bad "highway robbery"
Overall "expensive dsl for 3 megs a month"

for $43.00 dollars a month, I get a lousy less than 3-meg speed and what's worse is that AT&T cannot increase it to 6-meg.

I honestly wish that AT&T would just sell off their dsl and copper infrastructure to sonic.net. I have friends who have sonic and their service is not only more than double the speed, robust and reliable over AT&T, but much cheaper.

AT&T : you advertise U-verse in my area and yet it's not available, and your high-speed internet as best in it's class. I call your bullshit for what it is : We pay $43.00 dollars a month for less than 3-meg speed and barely does it ever hold up to your greedy lying promises. You also have a 150GB monthly cap in place to which you don't tell your subscribers about.

This is highway robbery.

Comments:

att die now

@ameritech.net

att price hike

I pay 35 for 1.5mpbs, I know at&t is bull shit. because i used to pay 25 for 1.5mbps

try petitioning the fcc

»www.change.org/petition

Review by netwerp See Profile

• Location: Evans,Columbia,GA
Good "Price, Speed: 6+ mbs, runs multiple Netflicks, youtube & games, no contract"
Bad "Frequent line drops by modem - haven't been able to determine the source."
Overall "Want improved service."

We have two competing cable companies here, Comcast and Knology (now "WOW". Knology based in Charleston, SC, sold to "WOW", aka gowow.com.) I've had contracts with both. I no longer want a contract. Customer service with Comcast is infamous; Knology wasn't much better when I had it and GoWOW, while reputedly very good, has not made competitive offers. I needed to get another ADSL+ modem or modem-router to determine if the fault is with the line or service or if it's just my Dlink modem-router. Speed was good enough but the service got connection drops when things got busy on weekends and after school let out on Friday. I ordered the premium speed rate available here for DSL but without a land line telephone and no cable or satellite TV. I used my own modem because I found it's cheaper than paying rent. I got money back (rewards) from AT&T as incentive to switch from cable and because I use my own equipment. Speed is guaranteed to be 6 mbs . My modem-router is a Dlink DSL-2640B. Setting up the modem for DSL was a problem and took me a couple weeks to get it right. I chose AT&T DSL for the price advantage, no contract and the monetary rewards. And also for the experience of using and setting up DSL. Another (security) advantage is that my IP changes whenever there's a line drop. However, this seems to be standard operating procedure among ISPs. Changed back to Comcast no contract in 2012.

Comments:

Review by unclebg See Profile

• Location: Healdsburg,Sonoma,CA
Good "better than it used to be"
Bad "TOO da.. expensive. Refuse to change anything due to U-verse"
Overall "If I could find something else that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg, I'd be outta here!"

·AT&T Yahoo
I can't really say anything good about ATT DSL. They keep changing my package every time they do something to U-verse. Went from $30 to $

40 in a matter of a couple of months. Called and told them to put me back where I was. I was in not so polite terms, We can't change your speed or cost now that U-verse is available in your area. And she said you can always go to someone else!!! Boy AT&T is really getting too big for their britches.

If I could afford to go with someone else I would. But too many hoops to jump thru, along with hook-up cost and other assorted crap. I will keep these animals for as long as I have to, but as soon as I can bail, I WILL!!! Don't trust these guys as far as you can throw them. Real pain to work with. Won't cut any slack nor give someone a break. Fixed income and ATT just don't work at all together!

Comments:

death of DSL

@sbcglobal.net

trying to be like Comcast, all IP based!

AT&T is forcingly moving customers from the "old" DSL to the "new" Uverse DSL. AT&T is calling it an upgrade when in all realities its just a way for them to move away from being regulated to IP based services which are not regulated. Bottom line they can and will do anything they want once you are all IP based!

To all new customer, if you are told DSL is not available. That just uverse is, its a lie! ATT policy is to put everyone on IP based services. Older DSL is not an IP based service.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19

Re: trying to be like Comcast, all IP based!

Doesnt your old legacy adsl1 have a IP address?
Dont get fooled,CO based adsl2 is being branded as uverse but in fact is just different flavor of the same thing.

Review by nakins See Profile

• Location: Benton,Saline,AR
Bad "Crap lines, crap modems"
Overall "How much crap will you take?"

When I first got DSL, it was really nice. That was several years ago. I'm getting to where I really hate it now. My download speed is about 3 times as fast as my old 56k modem. I lose sync several times during the day, and have to unplug the modem and plug it back in. I know part of it is the lines as there has been a lot of recent construction where the lines are laid. But, the modem has been crap since I got it. And I'm tired of spending a hundred bucks every year so for a frickin modem. I don't have cable or sat. That might change soon.

member for 10.8 years, 35 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by ajnelson See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Provided hardware is junk. Support is overseas and terrible.Speed for the cost is poor."
Overall "If you have another option, take it."

I've had DSL through ATT since 2005, and other than a cable modem from BHN, I really don't have any other options. We are in an area where U-Verse internet (only, not tv) is available now, and I could in theory have 18down/1 up speed if I switch to that. Cost listed includes cost for home phone.

However every time I need to deal with ATT I want to pull my hair out. Support is awful and as remote as it gets. I've taken to trying to deal with them over chat because every phone call is an exercise in futility.

I spend 40 minutes convincing them that I'm competent and that there is actually a problem. Same happens on chat, and they aren't much more helpful but at least I can be doing other things while I deal with it.

I pay for 6Mbps down / 512 up (which they call ELITE!). I get about 4.4Mbps down in testing. Ping is usually 25ms.

2Wire equipment supplied over the years has failed multiple times, and I got sick of paying for it. I bought my own D-Link DSL modem, and I have a LinkSys wireless router running DD-WRT.

I can't WAIT to drop them.

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

I have the elite tier at the house

I typically get 4.9 to 5.1 down and .59 to .63 upstream. or as I like to look at it 600.1kb/s and 77kb/s upstream.

Are you getting close to that?
ajnelson

join:2013-05-16
Indianapolis, IN
·AT&T DSL Service

4.45Mbps down, 0.63 Mbps up.

Yeah I pretty consistently get 4.45ish Mbps down, 0.63Mbps up.

so that would be 550KBps down 78KBps up. Not exactly breakneck, but it is in the ballpark of what speed tier I pay for I suppose. I should also mention if I look for upgrades online, it doesn't show that one is available, and I only learned the mid level u-verse internet only upgrade was available by backing into that information during a support chat. Very strange.