AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by nakins See Profile

• Location: Benton,Saline,AR
Bad "Crap lines, crap modems"
Overall "How much crap will you take?"

When I first got DSL, it was really nice. That was several years ago. I'm getting to where I really hate it now. My download speed is about 3 times as fast as my old 56k modem. I lose sync several times during the day, and have to unplug the modem and plug it back in. I know part of it is the lines as there has been a lot of recent construction where the lines are laid. But, the modem has been crap since I got it. And I'm tired of spending a hundred bucks every year so for a frickin modem. I don't have cable or sat. That might change soon.

Comments:

Review by ajnelson See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Provided hardware is junk. Support is overseas and terrible.Speed for the cost is poor."
Overall "If you have another option, take it."

I've had DSL through ATT since 2005, and other than a cable modem from BHN, I really don't have any other options. We are in an area where U-Verse internet (only, not tv) is available now, and I could in theory have 18down/1 up speed if I switch to that. Cost listed includes cost for home phone.

However every time I need to deal with ATT I want to pull my hair out. Support is awful and as remote as it gets. I've taken to trying to deal with them over chat because every phone call is an exercise in futility.

I spend 40 minutes convincing them that I'm competent and that there is actually a problem. Same happens on chat, and they aren't much more helpful but at least I can be doing other things while I deal with it.

I pay for 6Mbps down / 512 up (which they call ELITE!). I get about 4.4Mbps down in testing. Ping is usually 25ms.

2Wire equipment supplied over the years has failed multiple times, and I got sick of paying for it. I bought my own D-Link DSL modem, and I have a LinkSys wireless router running DD-WRT.

I can't WAIT to drop them.

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

I have the elite tier at the house

I typically get 4.9 to 5.1 down and .59 to .63 upstream. or as I like to look at it 600.1kb/s and 77kb/s upstream.

Are you getting close to that?
ajnelson

join:2013-05-16
Indianapolis, IN
·AT&T DSL Service

4.45Mbps down, 0.63 Mbps up.

Yeah I pretty consistently get 4.45ish Mbps down, 0.63Mbps up.

so that would be 550KBps down 78KBps up. Not exactly breakneck, but it is in the ballpark of what speed tier I pay for I suppose. I should also mention if I look for upgrades online, it doesn't show that one is available, and I only learned the mid level u-verse internet only upgrade was available by backing into that information during a support chat. Very strange.

Review by overworked00 See Profile

• Location: Ripley,Brown,OH
Good "its dsl"
Bad "none"
Overall "for where i am im happy"

i live in the country and for 5 years att has said that dsl is not available where i live then last week it is
fast install tech guy was quick about the install

member for 9.8 years, 1292 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago

• Location: Atascadero,San Luis Obispo,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "AT&T technicians are hard-working and bend over backwards to address issues."
Bad "AT&T's proprietary modem/router (NVG510) sucks resulting in a very bad Internet experience."
Overall "Pretty unreliable download speeds."

AT&T's U-verse Internet service could potentially be good. With Charter
promising 30 mbps but often providing 2-3 mbps, AT&T has a perfect
chance to trump that with a reliable 6 mbps. But unfortunately, AT&T
couldn't put it's hand in the cookie jar and grab just one cookie. They
revamped their offering with a proprietary signal, enlisted Motorola to
make a cheap modem/router and forced customers to buy it for $100. The
Motorola NVG510 is a special kind of crappy and it's the only DSL modem
that will work with AT&T's system. Google it along with "Computerworld"
and read how astonishingly bad this box is and how it times out on Mac
computers especially. What I hear from AT&T service techs is that the
company is pushing VoIP to run through these doorstops, and the techs
are pulling their hair out. Anyway, I think AT&T does a far better job
of maintaining their equipment than Charter. When I first started with
AT&T I reported these problems and the AT&T techs actually replaced
equipment on the pole outside and at a some kind of junction a few
blocks away - all for my Internet connection. Unfortunately, the techs
can't do anything about the NVG510.

(review was emailed from domain connectedsocialmedia.com)

Comments:
awasser1

join:2004-03-30
Bloomfield, CT

re: att dsl

I had att 6.0 but it kept being unreliable i was getting close to 4.0 on a good night or say late at night sometime 5.0 finally went to comcast 50/10 so far not looking back.

Review by Jeff35582 See Profile

• Location: Snellville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "There is absolutely nothing good about AT&T IFITL DSL Service"
Bad "Speeds, drastically oversubscribed probably 10-20 fold normal industry oversubscription levels"
Overall "Stay as far away from AT&T as you possibly can."

For years now the services is almost unusable in the evenings.
From 6:00 PM onward it gets progressively worse speeds get lower that 56K modem speeds. Latency, ping times make accessing text based forums and websites a grind and anything with any kind of media barely tolerable to outright intolerable.

Repeated complaints filed with the Georgia Public Service commission yeild nothing but a call from some department in AT&T that applies some credits, apologizes and closes the case.

When this service was initially installed under the control of Bellsouth, it was great and when AT&T took over it was still fine, as AT&T continued to add customers and neglecting the infrastructure it began to degrade. When enough pressure is applied they will move to do the minimal upgrades to make the service usable, but it will degrade rapidly because they are already oversubscribing it so drastically.

The support people are mostly contemptuous and are there only to get users connected that are incapable of doing it on their own. If you have a problem that is on AT&T's side you can not get anywhere by talking to their support. Your equipment is blamed and they refuse to look at or pass along supporting data to a higher tier.
The support department is rated on case resolution, and when they manage to get you off the phone they mark the case resolved and move on the the next victim/customer.

»forums.att.com/t5/Email-Internet···/2020831

The same issues have crept up on me again, that I was having here in this thread on AT&T's official forums. My issue never got resolved until one of AT&T's techs saw it on this site and sent me a PM.

Maybe I can get some help int the AT&T dedicated forums here as I can no longer locate the PM from him.

Comments:

Review by beccaali See Profile

• Location: 60642
Good "When it worked it was a solid connection."
Bad "Frequent disconnects, bad support"
Overall "If you have elaternatives to this, use them"

I have had this DSL line since 2002. A lot of changes have happened since then. When it was sbcglobal, the service was great. Their tech support was top notch. They resolved an outage I had in 3 days.

Fast forward to 2010 when I found out they had shipped a lot of their tech support to India when I was having an issue. Then the data caps started. They had frequent area outages without notification. Now I am one of the users that experiences frequent drops in connection every 1 or so in the evenings and nights. This is horrible service that keeps getting worse.

Comments:

Review by dev_null See Profile

• Location: Boston, MA
  • Telco party Southern New England Telephone
Good "Willing to extend"
Bad "When it goes bad, it's really bad"
Overall "Goodbye ATT, hello VZ (relocation)"

Have had SNET/SBC/ATT for phone service since we moved to the area in 2005. Started with Eastern Connecticut Cable for HSD but quickly switched to DSL due to pricing ($70 vs $15 per month!). Moved from 1.5Mb connect to elite 6.0Mb connection in 2007.

Until recently (October 2010) the elite connection has been rock solid at 5.3-5.4 (overhead reduces the actual). But then started peaking at 1.2Mb, and it's taken some time to resolve. Other than this glitch (which seems to now be resolved, after a week or two), I've been quite satisfied with the price/performance ratio.

I would note that when I call at renewal time, I ask to be switched to the retention folk, who have always been willing to give me the new customer pricing without too much discussion.

It's when I have problems that the issues arise. Repair service for the phone line (static, dropped calls, etc) or low speeds always seems to be protracted. When it works, it's great, when it doesn't sometimes getting it fixed can be a problem.

---Update July 2012---

After being a satisfied customer for nearly 8 years, I'm on the verge of switching back to cable. About 4 weeks ago (mid-June) our speeds dropped from a rock-solid 5.3mbps to under 2mbps most nights. Opened multiple tickets without resolution, finally opened a case in the ATT direct forum. We're told that it is "network congestion" and there is nothing they will do about it. That's all. Even had a nice man from the office of the president (really?) call and tell me he understood if I switched. To his credit he did give us a refund of the next few month's service fees, and left his contact info, but congestion they know about and can't fix it? My experience seems to support the fact that ATT is trying to kill off their wireline customers. When I called the state PUC, I'm told DSL isn't regulated, "just move on". Nice. Wish I'd stayed in a Verizon area.

---Update March 2013---

Wish granted! Company has relocated us back to a VZ area and we've had FIOS installed. What a refreshing difference! Even my cheap doubleplay is 6 times the max speed ATT ever gave me, at about the same price.

Bye, ATT, hello VZ!

member for 12.4 years, 823 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Rungel See Profile

• Location: CT
Good "Pretty Reliable Service."
Bad "Nothings been updated, Odd charges appear on bills, Hard to figure out bill charges"
Overall "It works"

·Charter
I've been with ATT for years now. I've had a dry loop for 5 years or so. It's very reliable service basically because my lines are underground where i live. I would like to see them upgrade more. Like bring Uverse to us..

member for 13.1 years, 6703 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by SNDMSG See Profile

• Location: Newhall,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Nothing at all."
Bad "Everything about this service as been horrific. 8 years of experiencing the same problem. Much wasted $$$ and time"
Overall "AT&T is my only option and they've been the absolute worst company that I've ever dealt with."

Unfortunately in my specific location, my only option was and still remains to be AT&T.
They only offer me the basic DSL plan at 768kbs.
When I have a connection then I'm typically at 200kbs.

For the past 8 years I have been living this AT&T nightmare and have replaced modem after modem and have lost countless days/hours of work while having to stay home and wait for on-site tech support.

7-8 months ago they determined that my modem had 'gone bad' AGAIN...This time they wouldn't replace it and told me if I didn't purchase a new AT&T modem/router combo @$100 then they could not provide support.
So I purchased the, AT&T Netgear 7550.

7 - 8 months later, with 4-5 on-site technician visits per month and my connection is still horrific.
All they are doing is waiting until my warranty runs out in June and they will tell me that I have to purchase another modem/router despite the technician testing my modem and determining that it is working fine.
The only "GOOD" is that SOME of the phone-tech support are very helpful, and the on-site technicians have good attitudes...But I still do not receive the service that I pay for and that AT&T is legally obligated to provide.

Comments:

isp10002

Dsl

You will never get the full 768k,you usally get 3/4 or half of that,if i were you i would drop at&t,your area must have huge congestion.
SNDMSG

join:2013-03-16
Newhall, CA

Re: Dsl

What's frustrating is that my next-door neighbor has the same basic plan but he hardly ever experiences these problems.
Occasionally he experiences a drop in speed but a quick power cycle resolves the problem.
It's only a very rare occasion that he actually loses his connection.

I'm considering making a change to the basic Uverse plan(Only plan available.)

Re: Dsl

How old is your houses wiring?
And unfortunately at&t is starting to get rid of there dsl service, you must be really far away from the CO to get those speeds, I have 3mbps from frontier.
SNDMSG

join:2013-03-16
Newhall, CA

Re: Dsl

During these 8 years of experiencing the same problems I have also had new wiring installed and I'm not far from the CO.

There's absolutely no excuse for this madness and I am finally at the point where I have no other recourse but to seek legal help.

·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

Re: Dsl

If your less then 10,000 feet from the CO and frontier offers slow speeds, that means frontier has over sold that area and there are so many people using it your getting bad speeds. There's nothing you can really do but bug frontier to upgrade their infrastructure.

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

Can we check on this?

Can we check into this or have we already?

Thanks
david

Review by Tech007 See Profile

• Location: Belleville,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Reliable"
Bad "No faster speed than 6mb"
Overall "Modest speed for decent price"

Had charter internet was paying almost $50 for 30mb, switched to ATT Uverse(IPDSL) for internet at home. Its been a reliable connection for the money and I haven't had any issues. I ran my own cat5 directly to the modem.

I'm on 6m, wish I could get faster but that is fastest available at my distance in my area. I have a NVG510 modem for connection and wifi. Ordered online and was able to get the modem up by the time it said I could