AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by tbeauchesne See Profile

• Location: Castro Valley,Alameda,CA
Good "High speed"
Bad "Not reliable, intermittent disconnection, change of IP address every 5 minutes"
Overall "useless piece of junk"

I spent a lot of time with the customer service and they haven't been able to solve the problem of intermittent disconnection. My IP address change so often that my Dynamic DNS cannot catch up.
And I am stuck with them for a year.

Comments:

Review by TheTechGuru See Profile

• Location: Breckenridge,Stephens,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "Fast!"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Fastest Speed and Lowest Price Availble In The Area!"

Ordered DSL the day after my phone was hooked up which was a Friday and DSL was activated on the line the following Tuesday. I had my own modem so I did not have to wait for one to be shipped to me.

As of when I ordered service the prices are as follows:
768 kbps [96KB/sec] down / 128 kbps [16KB/sec] up - $14.99/mo Contract Optional
1500 kbps [187KB/sec] down / 384 kbps [48KB/sec] up - $19.99/mo Contract Optional
3000 kbps [375KB/sec] down / 512 kbps [64KB/sec] up - $24.99/mo Contract Optional
6000 kbps [750KB/sec] down / 768 kbps [96KB/sec] up - $34.99/mo Contract Optional

I ordered the $34.99 plan and get about 5200 kbps down and 680 kbps up.

So thoes of you on dial up seeing 5K/sec on your download window would see about 600K/sec on your download window with the $34.99 plan.

Comments:

Review by sblime See Profile

• Location: Modesto,Stanislaus,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "Solid Speed, Great Price"
Bad "Must have local service"
Overall "Still cheaper than Comcast even with local service"

Ordered 1.5mb over a year ago for $14.99/month with a 6 month contract. I received my self-install kit in about 2 days and my DSL line was up in about 5 days. I can't complain about their order and install process. After the contract ended, I renewed at the 3mb speed for $17.99/month on a 12 month term. In the 14 months that I've had the service, I have had no problems with it. I can't say anything for their tech support because I've never had to use it. In my area, we have the choice of AT&T, Comcast, or Clearwire for HSI service. Comcast and Clearwire can't even touch the price I'm paying even with local phone service. It really is the fastest internet for the price, at least in my area. Overall, a very good experience with AT&T.

• Location: Sonoma,Sonoma,CA
Good "Excellent service so far."
Overall "Excellent service so far."

Hello DSL Reports People,

I just sent your sales dept. a note expressing my complete satisfaction
with your service to date. I am a strong believer in supporting local
businesses. I have had dial-up for years with vom.com. However, it's
just way too slow and not cost effective. So I wanted a DSL service and
was recommended by one of your other clients, David W. Everything
has gone very smoothly so far, and your sales and support people have
been very responsive and helpful.

At this rate, I look forward to a long association with your company.
Thanks,
Steve Cederborg

(review was emailed from domain sonic.net)

Comments:

Review by krystalpaw See Profile

• Location: Los Alamitos,Orange,CA
Good "reasonably priced"
Bad "months of frustration till they got it working"

I switched from DSL Extreme (not a company you want to deal with) to AT&T DSL and then I switched from Vonage (ugly company) to AT&T CallVantage. After a couple of months of frustration they finally got most of it working, had a really bad time with the "soft phone" and I just gave up.

Now I am getting mail and I know that AT&T SOLD my name and address because of the spelling on the spam snap mail I'm getting. This is an invation of my privacy and this company has to be stopped

Comments:

Review by shawnyboy See Profile

• Location: Waller,Harris,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "Quick order turnaround, easy installation, FAST SPEED!"
Bad "None...ever."
Overall "Excellent service at a reasonable price."

Update: February 2007: My DSL contract expired in December, and I started hearing that ATT is offering a $24.99/month Pro package to new subscribers with no contract. I called in to see if they would honor this price to me, and they did, no questions asked!

Update: January 2007 - I had to recently switch my phone service around for the impending order of VoIP phone service. Evidently, you can't transfer a number to VoIP from a line that has DSL attached (WHEN IS NAKED DSL GONNA GET HERE?!?). So I had to perform the following magic in order to make VoIP happy:

1. Order a new second line.
2. Switch DSL from line 1 to line 2.
3. Initiate number transfer with VoIP provider.

I could then cancel my first line once the transfer had completed.

I put in the order for the new phone line on a Friday. By Wednesday of the next week, it was live. I then called in to switch DSL service (that day). AT&T stated that the service would be switched by Tuesday of the following week. It was, on time with no issues sans one...DSL went dark on line 1 the FRIDAY night prior to the due date. Kind of a bummer to be without for 3 days, but considering that's the only hiccup I've had in over a year of service, and I initiated the hiccup, I can't complain...STILL ROCKIN!

In December 2005, Christmas came early to my house. AT&T (then SWB) had just made DSL available to my area. My four years in the Internet Dark Ages (ISDN & Satellite) were over. I was able to order the Pro package (1.5-3.0 down, 384 up) at a promotional price of $21.99 a month for 6 months on a 12 month commitment. After six months, the price increased to $34.99/month. I've heard horrible things about SWB's 2Wire wireless router, so I decided to go with a store-bought Linksys WRT54G. They sent me out a Siemens SpeedBooster 4100 for free with a $50 rebate (mail-in).

The service is PPPoE with a Dynamic IP. I'm hosting my e-mail at home, so I use DynDNS to update my public DNS record. The IP changes, but not nearly as often as I've seen with other services. I can go days with the same IP address.

It took about 8 days from order to completion. They were having some trouble out at the box for my line, otherwise it would have been less. After five days (my original due date), I still didn't have "solid green" (all systems go), so I called SWB tech support. They dispatched a tech the next day to fix me up.

All in all, the service has been great. I haven't lost service once. DEFINITELY RECOMMEND!

Comments:

Review by jdrogers See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "quick install, knowledgable sales and support, good price"
Bad "phone menus are long, install time window was large (4 hours)"
Overall "surprisingly fast and pleasent experience"

I've used cable modems since 1999, and I was reluctant to switch to DSL, but after moving to Chicago, Comcast wanted $50+tax for internet without TV and for TV would only offer digital packages to new customers bringing the bill to well over $100/mo for basic extended cable and internet. Bah! So it was time to look into DSL.

Price: AT&T offers residential DSL in the area with packages starting at $14.99+tax with $5.00 increments for more speed. I choose the second level for $19.99/mo+tax which should give 1.5Mbps down and 384Kbps. The phone line is extra, so I went with the cheapest basic line which is $11.42+tax putting the total at around $35/mo for everything. Installation charges (~$40) and equipment ($49-$49rebate=$0) will come to less than $50 after rebate. I haven't yet received a bill, but total monthly charges should be about $35/mo including taxes and phone line. For $5 more per month I can double my download rate. My contract is month-to-month, and the only difference in price for long-term contracts is that you would get the 4th month free if you sign up for (I think) 12 months.

Sales and Installation: The worst part of the experience is that every time I called to speak with someone about installation or anything else, the automatic phone menu systems are long and slow to navigate. It would take 1:30 to 2:00 minutes of my call just to get to the point where I was on hold waiting for a real person to answer. Hold times were anywhere from 0-5 minutes but usually less than 1 minute. The only other negative was that the installation window was large (8am-8pm) and since I needed to be home to provide access (not necessary at some residences), they narrowed that down to 3-4 hours when I called the night before installation.

Support: Probably the best part of the whole experience was that when I did get through to someone live, they were friendly, knowledgeable and quick to provide the right answers. It was refreshing to speak to people who are not reading from cue cards, but actually listen to you and understand your questions or problems. Installation was scheduled for only 3 days after the order, and the DSL modem (Siemens SpeedStream 4100) was delivered by UPS about 1 hour after the phone line installation was complete. I was connected to the internet shortly after. It is rare that I can say I am "satisfied" with an ISP, but in this case, I was very happy and would actively recommend the service to others, especially if you are appalled by the prices for cable.

Speed: I get about 1.3Mbpps down and 300Kbps up averaging over several speed tests and I am about 1.5 miles from my CO.

Linux: Finally, I want to say a couple quick things that won't affect most people. I use Linux solely and don't have Windows installed on my laptop. Officially, AT&T offers no tech support if you don't use MacOS or windows, but I am used to that and it is pretty standard. Surprisingly, after answering 'neither' to the sales woman's question of which OS I use, she actually knew of linux and said it should work just fine but that they could not offer support for it. The one problem I did have was during the DSL modem setup (all of which is done using a browser to connect to the DSL modem's admin page). Once the modem is configured, you must 'register' with AT&T/Yahoo! and agree to terms and conditions of the ISP before your connection is unblocked. Unfortunately, the registration and account setup page through SBCGlobal (maybe flash9?) would not load properly with firefox. I had to barrow a windows laptop to complete the registration using IE. Once registered, everything else went smoothly.

Cheers, JDR

Comments:

Review by hdben See Profile

• Location: Visalia,Tulare,CA
Good "cheap"
Bad "slow connections"
Overall "sketchy performance"

I used to love my dsl, but now it has been slow for some time. Last speed check I did was last night, 21kbps on dsl. I have friends on dial up that get better speed than I do. And trying to get help form someone is not easy. I will try again.

Comments:

Review by diesel161 See Profile

• Location: Middletown,Middlesex,CT
  • Telco party Southern New England Telephone
Good "No tech needed at house, easy to install, solid connection"
Bad "Kind of wanted to use my own router, theres does work great"
Overall "great price for the speed, solid connection, Bye Comcast"

I really tried to due as much price shopping as possible before changing service providers. Comcast is just to expensive for what they offer(for my needs). And when I needed service it was always down to me tracking them down. I had so many problems with internet and they always said it was my Router. Well if the modem will not sync outside my house before the ground block I really do not think it has anything to do with my modem. SBC (now ATT) was very helpful and took as much time as i wanted to explain the different packages. The service is much better and the quality of the product is better and I did end up saving a few bucks. Now if I could only get U-Vers...

member for 11.9 years, 538 visits, last login: 5.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by k1ll3rdr4g0n See Profile

• Location: Homer Glen,Will,IL
Good "The service is great, I have only had one hicup"
Bad "If your CO has been flaged as a 'no DSL' area, you probably wont ever get it."
Overall "If you can get the service, its great. :thumbsup:"

I had ordered the fastest speed they offered me, the 'elite' package. 6down/768 up (if I can remember correctly). They offer this package for 37$/month. This was a blessing due to the price gouging that comcast does.

Ordering was a whole different issue. I am one of the lucky few who are able to throw a rock at my CO, so I went over to there and inquired about when DSL was going to be installed. The tech said that they were just installing it. I went over there a couple months later and he said he got it installed and it should be ready to order. I called up AT&T and they basically called me a liar and they couldn't do anything. They claim they could send someone out to check it out, so apparently they did, and they said I couldn't get it.

This went on for months, until I left it alone for awhile, then randomly I typed my phone number into the DSL available check on AT&T's site, and it said I could order it. So, I ordered it. I got the DSL equipment in the mail, and 2 days before it was to be turned on they called me and told me I couldn't get and to send the equipment back.

I then hastily ran over to the CO and asked whats going on, I got the techs name and number and put the order through again with instructions telling DSL provisioning that DO NOT CANCEL THE ORDER BEFORE CALLING ME, AND TO CALL THE TECH AND TALK TO HIM ABOUT IT.

I got a phone call telling me my order was canceled and no one had called the tech. So, in order to do AT&T's job, I called the tech and the tech called his boss, they said they would get it straightened out monday (it was friday). And lo and behold, some guy in an office worked his magic and somehow magically I have DSL.

Morale of the story:

If you can't get DSL, and you heard that it was installed in the CO, time to make some phone calls. And if the tech at the CO wont help you, then your outta luck because hes is the only one that could change what everyone else says.

I got 1 dynamic IP, I used to use PPPoE off the modem, but it seemed to be buggy with windows VPN, so now I am using PPPoE on my router. Its working great.

Oh and last tidbit, if you have a problem with the service, don't call the 24hr help service, they are as useless as talking to a brick wall. Instead, wait until normal business hours and call the local AT&T branch, because those are the people that live in your area (state most likely) and they will be more helpful and more knowledgeable than the 24hr help service.

I had called because my download speed was going from 500-15kbps, and we went through all the process and I had tried this 'speedtest' on my desktop. Didn't work. I was the instructed to plug directly into the modem, so I plug my laptop into the modem and the speed test work. The lady claimed it was an issue with my router.

That was enough of an insult to where I just hung up on her.

So she decided to call back...

But the main question: Was it worth all this trouble? Hell yes! I absolutely love the connection and AT&T doesn't impose and stupid limits that comcast does.