AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by AcousticD See Profile

• Location: Princeton,Collin,TX
Good "It's considered internet"
Bad "Speeds, Customer Service, Cost"
Overall "Don't use unless there are no other options. "

·Suddenlink
I was originally told by AT&T that my house was only eligible for a 768k DSL line despite the fact that my next door neighbor had 6Mb service. After 13 months and two visits from technicians, they finally allowed me to get the 6Mb line. I was told I would be paying $20 a month for the DSL and $15 a month for a phone line that I didn't want. They would not let me get the 6Mb package without adding the phone line. My first bill was irregular due to all the changes they made to the account, so when I got my second bill for $90 I called and they said that there was no $35 package and never was. Now I'm paying around $60 and I'm stuck with them.

I've never seen above 4Mb on my download speed, and most of the day my speed ranges from 1-3 MB. From 4-8:00 pm it's guaranteed to be 1Mb. I've spent several hours on the phone with tech support and they can't fix it. The last time a tech came to my house he tested the pedestal that my line is fed from and said there was 8-9 Mb available and that I shouldn't have any issues getting a full 6Mb. On Saturday I spent an hour with DSL tech support and they finally told me they couldn't fix it and were sending a tech.

I took off half a day from work for a 12-4 house visit and they never showed up. A supervisor finally called me at 7:45 at night and said I was first on the list for the following day. Unfortunately for me and my crappy DSL service I can't afford to miss any more work.

Comments:

antiatandt

@76.185.67.x

Couldn't agree more.

I've had all of the same problems. I had to call them repeatedly to give me the luxury of paying more for 6Mb. It's still worthless. When I finally couldn't stand it anymore I started calling around and found out that they have agreements with everybody else to keep their services out of my neighborhood. Of course our neighborhood is not eligible for U-Verse.

Granite City, IL

If it helps I wil throw it out there. They have a email address for unresolved or still poor sevice issues. The address is attcustomercare@att.com.
Thanks again folks- David.

Review by ScottHilt See Profile

• Location: New Smyrna Beach,Volusia,FL
Good "It's an internet connection"
Bad "Speed, Reliability, Price, Customer Service "
Overall "I only have at&t DSL because it's the only ISP that services my address. DON'T CHOOSE IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE!!!"

·Bright House
I only have AT&T DSL because it's the only ISP that services my address. DON'T CHOOSE IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE! I absolutely HATE AT&T. Not only am I forced into AT&T DSL, but the max speed that it available to my address is 6mbps. I was told that in order to get a faster speed I have to sign up for U-Verse. Here's the kicker. U-Verse is not available in my neighborhood and that AT&T only offers DSL speeds faster then 6mbps in cities where U-Verse is not available at all. So since U-Verse is available in my city, but not my neighborhood I'm stuck with 6mbps.

This service is so bad that I will be moving at the end of my lease for the sole reason of getting AT&T out of my life again.

Comments:

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Look on the bright side...

At least you're renting. I own my home and I'm stuck with AT&T and 6mbit dsl with no hope of being upgraded in the foreseeable future. I despise AT&T!

spam2me

@74.190.254.x

Re: Look on the bright side...

You are still fortunate. You could be stuck with ATT's EXTREME 3mb service like I am. If it runs over 2mb speeds it's a good day. Nothing else available to my house. Plus they are charging $49 a month for such lame service. Outta be a law.....

LTDUNN86

@206.135.75.x

Re: Look on the bright side...

I don't see wow you would be complaining. I would love 6Mbs down. unfortunately i'm stuck with no options whatsoever so I am stuck with a very expensive 1.5Mb T1 connection! People who have the nerve to complain about only having dsl service should do without anything for a while and see how they feel!
cj_version2

join:2014-07-08
US
I'm stuck with "Extreme" (what a misnomer) at a site in the middle of downtown Atlanta, myself. That and a T-1 line, so I feel you guys' pain. It appears to be the only solution, too. Signed a contract very early this year with Comcast Business after two years of trying to get them to run cable 175ft across two poles. You guessed it! No install or sign they'll actually do it at all yet as of August 19th. [Edit] By the way, I was thinking about accepting a job offer in Daytona and living in New Smyrna Beach, but one of the reasons I didn't was I couldn't find a decent ISP there where I wanted to live. Bummer.

Review by daftwhat See Profile

• Location: Ravenel,Charleston,SC
Good "nothing"
Bad "customer service never fixes anything, constant disconnects, slow speed available to area"
Overall "DO NOT BUY"

I have the 3 megabit line because it is the only slot available in my area and all the higher ones are taken. It has been like this for years now so I don't expect them to upgrade their slots anytime soon. I would try U-Verse but apparently they stop 2 miles short of my house. You would think I live in the middle of nowhere, judging by the availability of internet where I live but I really don't.

During the hours of 12-7pm, I have constant disconnects of my internet to the point to where it is unuseable. I have tried many, many times to get them to fix it but every phone call and tech visit gets me nothing. It may be OK for a day but after that its back to the same problems. I heard U-Verse is alright but the DSL is terrible. Even if they brought UVerse to me, I wouldn't buy it now. The company is terrible.

I tried getting Comcast but that company is completely inept so it looks like I'm stuck with terrible internet for the rest of my life.

Update 5/19/14: Problems still persist as usual, called tech support and the rep was extremely nice. She acknowledged that we had a problem and we elected to send out a tech(yet again) Tech arrives, pokes around, can't find a single problem. The disconnects hadn't started their daily routine yet because the tech came out in the early morning. Sure enough, as soon as tech leaves, an hour later the disconnects start happening. Tech even got our hopes up saying we could maybe get U-Verse(because I'm willing to try anything now) but alas, he said he would let us know and has yet to call us back weeks later.

Comments:

David

I can check into this..

if you wish post in direct or let me know.

Thanks
daftwhat

join:2014-02-19
Ravenel, SC

Re: I can check into this..

Sure. I don't know what else can be done. I'm currently replying on my phone right now because the Internet is out yet again.

Granite City, IL

Re: I can check into this..

Can you IM me the DSL number?

Review by wiccancat See Profile

• Location: Pahrump,Nye,NV
Good "Only game in town"
Bad "Slow speeds with no plains to up grade"
Overall "Only connection you can get here"

At&T DSL is the only half decent connection you can get in Pahrump, NV. The speed is ok but they have started to cap your downloads and this can really add to the bill. Netflix is going to cost you more a month but you can watch it.

Comments:

Review by Pittpharm See Profile

• Location: Pittsburg,Camp,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "DSL in a rual area"
Bad "Only one speed avalibale"
Overall "Has been outdated with no foreseeable upgrades"

Originally had two landlines one for Dialup and the other for regular telephone/alarm use. A good friend of ours that worked for the telephone company came out to our residence (to replace a phone line fried from lightning hitting a tree nearby) and suggested that we cut our bill and get faster internet by getting DSL, he did however mention at the start that we were the last house able to get on it due to distance from the CO that is located downtown. The only speed option available is the slowest tier (AT&T High Speed Express) which is meh. When ordered there was a big box that came in the mail that had roughly 4 filters, 1 wall mount filter, the modem(with all the cables), and a wireless card. Setup was accomplished within 10 minutes and we wondered when the one telephone line would be converted to the DSL. Well the modem had green light telling DSL was active so tried it by loading webpages and wow what a speed demon(remember we had Dial Up before this) and the coolest thing was while I was bouncing off the wall as to the new speed discovered someone called and we were able to talk on the phone and browse the internet at the same time. Minds were blown that day lol.

Fast forward roughly a year and then the original modem(SBC gray one) started flashing lights like a chase from the power to the DSL connection light. Called tech support and had to get 2 people before I could understand one on the line. He did the basic have you unplugged the modem for 30 seconds…push the reset button…ect. After about an hour said modem crashed and I could get a new one for 99 dollars. So said yes and then he made the line back to dialup till the new modem arrived so we could still have internet. (little did I know at the time the DSL modems power adaptors are bad about going out and probably could have bought a 10 dollar power adaptor instead of a whole new modem). New modem came(white AT&T 2wire one) in the mail with 4 new filters and all the cables. Hooked it up and once again was back on the blazing speed.

Roughly year and half later with the addition of a more wireless computers the DSL connection drops a lot and is not as solid as it once was, however in due respect the phone line has been replaced 3 more times within that year for static, or no phone signal at all. Called tech support once for so fed up with connection not be maintained the lady on the phone was very clear and helpful with the modem acting right again for a few days but then back to normal. Power adaptor went out (and caught the modem flashing a red power light so that was giveaway that was the problem) 2 days later had a 10 dollar replacement power adaptor from AT&T and back up and running without even calling customer support.

As mentioned, moving from dialup to DSL initially was mind blowing the speed available, however in 5 going on 6 years of ownership now the technology has been outdated. What I mean by that is there is now 4G wireless available in our rural town that offers atleast double the max speed available of the landline DSL for roughly the same price but has a lower usage cap. Suddenlink the only cable provider in town that can offer faster wired speeds refuses to add to their coverage area though the cable is within .5 miles of our residence. Not to also mention to date can get TV, 15MB and unlimited phone for a cheaper rate than having unlimited calling and the and the 1.3 MB connection through AT&T for$ 120 a month.

So in summary, fortunate to be able to have a wired “fast” internet connection, however as time has progressed it has been outdated with no network upgrades insight. With the next competitor having a better package not expanding coverage thus leaving the mindset of should I go to wireless with a lower cap or just keep wishing that there will be upgrades or the cable company will expand.

Comments:

Review by steevo22 See Profile

• Location: Fullerton,Orange,CA
Good "Cheaper that cable. But not that much"
Bad "Slow speeds, keeps disconnecting. Poor PPPOE connection."
Overall "I cannot recommend AT&T for DSL service. They try like hell to avoid giving you what you want."

ATT offers a 6MB line across the street from me (apartments) with UVERSE. On my side of the street, houses, only "up to 3mb" DSL. Actually across the street they offer 50 Meg now.

I ordered from them for $14.95 a month for a year, the install went OK but the speeds were only about 1.5 MB. I complained for three months and I only got "sorry, that's all the speed your address qualifies for". Translation: That's all you can get without our having to lift a finger. Or get up out of our chair, actually do something.

I told them I expect them to bond pairs which all their equipment and mine supports, but they didn't answer me. Clearly they can bond pairs to improve speeds but they just refuse to do so. They didn't say no, they just didn't respond.

There is a UVERSE VRAD a half block south, an installer said "sure, they could easily give you 6 MB service off that". It would still be the same price, $14.95 a month, by the way.

But they won't. They refuse to do it. They could do it, but they won't.

Finally after three months I finally got to level two tech support, in Kansas City. The guy called me back in a half hour "We found a problem on the ATT network and fixed it". This after complaining for months! The did a "virtual path move". It was much faster, about 2.53 MB. Clearly it was something they did by typing on a keyboard, they didn't really have to do anything. They made me suffer for months, however.

About 4 months later it has slowed down again, it tests about 2.1 or 2.2 MB but it's not sustaining. I haven't yet cajoled my way past the Indian tech support to the guys who can actually fix it. Calling the main AT&T number for technical support is such a monumental waste of time I cannot recommend AT&T for anything.

The justice department should break them up again, like they did 25 years ago. They are all back together now, it was a 25 year plan! It worked perfectly. For them, and no one else.

UPDATE: They raised the price to $46 a month, still very slow and nearly unusable. I complained and it was lowered to $29 a month for a couple months then they raised it again. I didn't pay and I am waiting for them to contact me since I have been almost entirely unsuccessful contacting them. Not sure how well that strategy will work but I don't have a lot of options here.

I continue to demand they bond pairs to improve speeds. For all the good that seems to do. None, I'd say so far.

They finally contacted me and demanded I migrate to Uverse, but it's slow Uverse DSL. They sent me a new Uverse modem/router that I had to install, and it's not any faster. I have a lot of trouble. Can't stream any audio at all, it starts and stops.

The migrated me for their convenience, but they have still refused to bond pairs or fix the speed problem.

AT&T is a very difficult company to do business with today.
They only have the one telephone number, the one that ends in 2020. Most of the other numbers seem to end up there.

When you call them for whatever reason they transfer you all over the world. My DSL was down today and I spoke to (and explained the problem to) 6 different reps over the course of about 45 minutes before I got anyone who could deal with it.

Each one slavishly asked me to verify the phone number they could call "if we were disconnected". Today I was actually disconnected two times and despite their carefully wasting my time and brain cells verifying the number to call no one ever called. It was left to me to call them back, explaining my problem, verifying the account number ad nauseum.

I find their business model to be outrageous. It would be better for the world if they did not exist.

They could change that but I doubt they will.
I don't think they see a problem. If they were not the incumbent local exchange carrier no one would deal with them willingly. I sure wouldn't.

UPDATE: January 2014. I finally got some initiative and got Time Warner in instead of ATT Uverse DSL. The ATT line was just too slow, in fact I had much more trouble after they migrated me to Uverse DSL than I had on ATM DSL.

So on January 9, 2014 TWC installed a 15 MB line for $34.99 a month. I called AT&T to have the service disconnected on January 9 and I disconnected their equipment.

No problem, right? Haha. They left it on. I got another bill, the phone rep I talked to failed to cancel the account on the 9th. I contacted ATT and a guy called me back from their corporate "office of the president" department and explained I would be getting cancelled and I would be getting a refund check. I got another bill through the month owing more. They still didn't cancel it on the date I disconnected their equipment.

AT&T, the company that just keeps on giving. They are real slugs. The funny part of all this is, clearly they have the ability to give me good service. Clearly they could do it without it costing them one red cent. But they have frustrated my attempts to get good service from them, and now it's come to this.

I have to say, internet is the new POTS. We are 14 years into the 21st century for crissake. This stuff all needs to be regulated. Every address in the country should be able to get a lifeline internet of at least 15 MB for $25 or less, and that should just be required, or we'll get a new wireline carrier to come in and take over the cable plant and the PSTN to provide it.

Comments:

Only uverse

@sbcglobal.net

Pair bonding for UVERSE only!

AT&T will not spend $ on legacy DSL, so your request for pair bonding will not happen. UVERSE is where the $ is going. Now 2 reasons as to why u dont qualify for UVERSE, you are over 5k ft from VRAD. Or the database is wrong, i've seen where two houses side by side served by the same terminal, one labeled Uverse green yet the other red. Why? Dont know. It takes a ATT engineer to change that. Best bet, talk to a field supervisor and ask politely if he/she can contact the engineer for your area and look into it.

Dont call the business office, they will have no clue! Good luck
steevo22

join:2002-10-17
Fullerton, CA

Re: Pair bonding for UVERSE only!

They migrated me a month ago to Uverse DSL, still very slow and still refusing to bond pairs.
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

Watched AT&T linemen take down lines not in service today..

A while back AT&T replaced the old 8" pole out front with a taller 10" pole.

The power company moved their transformer and services lines over, so did the cable co..

Today was the day for At&t to move their lines from the old pole, out of 15 pair terminal block servicing 7 houses, only one pair was active.

I had them take down my old steel pairs which haven't been used in several years.
I removed the remaining legacy lines from the exterior of my house. (less visual clutter now). The linemen also cut down the remaining lines not in service.

Over the 10 years or so, my aDSL service(bridged, 1.5Mb/384k) w 50% headroom, turned into dog shit(less than 384k, Uverse crosstalk), voice service nothing to rave about.

Each time I plug my address in the check uverse availability, it comes back with max offering of 768Kb (which I know even that won't work). A few days later, at&t mail's to me an advertising flier.. claiming to offer a years up to 3Mb service(never going to happen) @ 15$/mo +(required voice line @40$/mo).. NOT!!!

But it goes to show you.. just how far at&t will neglect their infrastructure.

Up the speed

@sbcglobal.net

Up the speed

I've been told by uverse techs that in order to get pair bonding/iNID install, you have to sign up to att highest offered speed. But after the install, you can downgrade and they will not return to undo it all. So i've been told and thinking of trying!

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL
·AT&T Southeast

AT&T and customer perception

AT&T is shooting themselves in the foot by leaving too many customers without U Verse upgrades. I for one ported my wireless service to another carrier since they have shown no interest in upgrading my neighborhood. If they won't give us what we need; I refuse to give them what they want.... MY MONEY!

Granite City, IL

if you guys/gals have service issues...

we don't mind working on these things in direct or drop me an IM or email.

THanks

Review by Lou_n_Di See Profile

• Location: Seymour,New Haven,CT
Good "reliable service"
Bad "Some issues with their EMAIL"
Overall "OK for the price,"

ATT-Yahoo---the old SNET
1500/325 line speeds--measures a consistent 1271/312
CO fed at 12,975 feet with NO RTs at my location so thats as good as it gets---
No issues with service outages
Some issues with their EMAIL servers
Self installed a long while ago----no issues--still running with the old Speed Stream DSL modem through a NETGEAR WGR614v7 Router-- WIN XP PRO SP2 on all PC's
Life is good!
12/31/09
Well it's been a WHILE---
Still with ATT-yahoo---No issues. Email works very well...Speed is fine for the price.
never an issue with service outages.
Upgraded to a new Motorola DSL modem---The old Speed Stream finally failed. We still have the old reliable 614 Netgear router...
11/6/12
No changes---Some issues with the email server...Same reliable service at a fair price.
Haven't found a need to upgrade to faster speeds...NO kids home
02/07/14
I'm FINALLY making the switch from DSL to cable----the service call is set for next week so it's BYE-BYE old reliable $36/month 1.5Mbs service
HELLO $53/month 25Mbs cable ($29/month for the first 12 months)....Thank-you ATT for the MANY years of reliable service!

member for 13.7 years, 3295 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by NGW1031982 See Profile

• Location: Brookfield,Cook,IL
Good "Solid connection. Doesn't seem to have down time. Always same speed."
Bad "Can be slower then cable, the implementation of bandwidth caps."
Overall "It WAS good, but the bandwidth cap lower it's value a lot."

Being a customer for over 5 years now, I have been satisfied with the service.
The line itself has been extremely stable, with so few issues and so rarely that I can't remember how many there were. I believe that I had 3 or 4 issues in the time I have been with them, and most they were resolved in under 12 hours, all within 24 hours.
I am on the Elite package running 6 Mbps down (630KBps) and 768kbps up (81KBps).
I have used the older speedstream 4100 modem, and it's still working in bridged mode.
The order and install process was basically simple at the time, but it's been a while. Everything was straight forward, and there were no problems.
Unfortunately the announcement of bandwidth caps (150GB a month for non-U-Verse customers, IE : me) makes the service much worse. On average I use 200GB-250GB a month easily, and so there is an additional charge of $10 per 50GB you go over.
It's a shame, as any U-Verse customer gets a cap of 250GB a month.

Update : connection is always stable, however I'm looking into a different provider because of the cap.

Comments:

Review by tabernak See Profile

• Location: Lucedale,George,MS
Good "Reliable, fairly consistent, decent latency"
Bad "Establishing service, limited bandwidth, 150 GB caps"
Overall "Only option available, it's falling behind the times, but still provides an adequate connection"

I pay $51/month for Fast Access DSL Direct 6.0M, not counting the 6 month promotion. That is a 6Mbps/.5Mbps connection where I live in southern Mississippi.

Having recently purchased a house, Att DSL is the only option available. The previous homeowner told me he had cut the phone line while doing some yard work, so I knew from the start that needed fixed and informed Att of it at every step. Ultimately it took 3 truck rolls and a month for them to establish my service, which was frustrating. They also missed their first appointment with me altogether. On the good side, the customer service people I spoke to never questioned that the line was cut and courteously setup the appointments and it eventually meant I got a new line dropped to my house, which is always a good thing.

I've now had the service working for a little over a month. There's been a handful of disconnects, but they were all brief and there's not been any significant outage that I've been home to see. I pretty consistently test at 6.4Mbps down and .42Mbps up. So I get a little extra over what I pay for down, however I'm a little short on my up and .5Mbps is already pretty limited. I've noticed the occasional slowdown in the afternoons when I imagine traffic is peaked, but even then I still got ~3Mbps and it normally doesn't happen. Ping almost always tests in the 50s, so it's good enough for gaming. Their 150 GB cap shouldn't get in my way much and at least their overages are tolerable at $10/50GB.

The service is adequate and I'm able to do everything I was able to do back when I had 25/5 Comcast, the biggest difference is that downloads are obviously slower and the limited upstream is going to hinder using any cloud services, VPN, remote desktop, etc, however I've never used those things much. I stream via Netflix and Hulu Plus regularly with no problems and play games just as well as I used to. From what I've read, I'm probably on the cusp of supporting Netflix Super HD, but I've never even tried it as I have that 150 GB cap anyway. I hope they someday upgrade the service, but for the time being it's sufficient for my needs. I suspect sharing the connection with another heavy user such as myself would be an issue. I have no illusions that this is a great service or a good price, however it's adequate for my needs and better than the local wireless options. At least they're largely delivering the service promised.

Update: Dec 13, 2013

I just got U-verse (will review after I get some experience under my belt), so updating this with final experience. Based on the tech here for new install, learned his equipment showed I was ~4100 ft from boxes. My DSL experience only lasted a few months, but the quality hasn't changed much. Disconnects ended up being more frequent than I originally noticed, with me noticing one while I was home a few times a week. However, it always immediately reconnected within a minute and I never experienced an extended outage. Everything else in my above review still stands. For reference, I got the fastest U-verse available to me and will now be on 18/1.5 bonded pair VDSL2 for $62/month (no discounts and modem rental fee included).

Comments:

Review by Scout7IDL See Profile

• Location: Diamondhead,Hancock,MS
Good "Field Techs have been great"
Bad "random disconnects and unavailability of UVerse and no communication as to availability"
Overall "If there was a BETTER alternative, I'd take it in a heartbeat."

I've had AT&T DSL for 10+ years now. It has been very consistent for the most part. The past 18 months has been the most inconsistent with service disconnects getting worse in the last 9 month or so. I've been waiting for the availability of UVerse for the past couple of years and it has yet to progress past the availability on two or three main streets in my area.

If there is one big gripe with AT&T it has to be the speed at which they roll out/offer new and faster services.