AT&T DSL Service page on DSLReports

Review by Hermana See Profile

• Location: La Crescenta,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast. ... easy ... affordable !!"
Bad "Itís up .. itís UP !! ;-) ... Itís down, itís down, ;-) (uh, oh.. my fault.. my wireless adapter doesn't play fair)"
Overall "I'm very happy now and by the way: Relax ... have fun, and stay tuned to our host, www.dslreports.com"

UPDATE 2013: Pricing was climbing over the original posts below, monthly cost is now $34.99.. I'm going to look for other options -- see my current U-verse Review.

PREVIOUS DSL REPORTS:

12/7/06's speed: 2.4 down and 434 up... a very happy camper

The longer story of what it took to get there:

On 11/29/06: I ordered AT&T Yahoo Internet Pro Package: 1.5-3 down and 384-512 up Residential Dynamic IP DSL service on-line for $24.99 with no term commitment. I would have considered the 3-6 down speed but it isn’t available at my location.

My reasons for selecting AT&T included the following personal considerations:

1) My opinion is that having a Third Party provider unnecessarily adds a step to coordination and problem resolution.

2) Since I don’t already have cable service, Telco DSL is less expensive in my situation.

If ordering from AT&T, on-line is the way to go: originally, I tried to place an order over the phone on a Tuesday morning but was met with a 25 minute queue. The www.att.com website is easy to navigate and after a couple of minutes of exploring the site, a friendly On-Line Chat Window automatically appears with live help. While I debated with myself whether to take the plunge, I visited the website a couple of different times and found the On-Line Service Reps helpful and well informed. Also, you can choose to visit and order from the site unattended without difficulty.

On Weds afternoon, 11/29, I placed an order for a Self installation scheduled for 12/4 service provisioning. I received my ordered AT&T/2Wire Wireless Gateway on Friday, 12/1, opened the box and was up and running within 5-10 minutes.

The AT&T Yahoo website includes a great tutorial for email setup and tools for ZoneAlarm Firewall software, both of which I think are a good choices for Newbies.

I thought the AT&T/2Wire Wireless Gateway modem simple to install and by the default, its setup provides for a secure WEP connection. You may find, however, the instructions less clear on how a single computer installation can be made wireless.

So far the provided DSL speed is at the low end for download 1642 and mid end for upload 462.

I’m having some issues with my internet browser (IE 6.0) losing connectivity after a period of non-use (20-30 minutes??) when using my Netgear USB Wireless Adapter, but I see no evidence of the network connection being dropped per DSLR’s line monitoring tool. I successfully was able to watch about 3 hours of pbs.org videos Saturday morning with no audio or video shuddering -- it was just like watching television. The disconnects appear to happen only with non-use.

A few years ago I had DSL service for this phone number with similar disconnect issues after a year of relative stability. I never tried very hard to resolve those disconnect issues, and instead discontinued the DSL service. I now have a completely different hardware/software configuration and, surprise, surprise, the same disconnects. I’m inclined to believe my problems are related to interferences with the wireless transmission. While hard wired through an Ethernet connection, the disconnection problems appear to be minimized and/or non-existent.

After reading through the DSLR Forum comments, I’m convinced that no matter which provider one used, if one has the time and aptitude, the only way to go is to self-diagnose connection problems with the help of the DSLR community and to stay patient. Oh, and one more thing, bad DSL isn’t life threatening, getting it to work isn’t brain surgery, and it just sometimes takes more time, more money, and, oh yeah, the three L of real estate, location, location, location....

member for 12.2 years, 195 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Scritter See Profile

• Location: Leander,Williamson,TX
Good "it works - sometimes"
Bad "Awful"
Overall " It's the only game in town"

This is the fastest package that my neighborhood lines can support (1500kbs Elite Package)

Lousy support

Techs that can't

The only time in years that I have gotten hold of a real tech they let me know that if they couldn't fix the problem remotely that they would simply stop offering broadband to us. I am continually told that it's my house wiring BUT I know it's not and three different repair folk agree - When I can finally get someone on the other end to reset my connection from their end it will work for anywhere from 5 min. to 9 days.... I don't even call anymore until it drops to under 700Kbs down. The lines running out to this ranch were run in 1963, just 1.5 years ago the mechanical switches were swapped out at the distro building! The worst part is every time I call and every other time I get the mail the try to sell me on U-Verse that my lines will not support....cheaper faster ect......

We are in a valley that does NOT receive cell signals without a 75' mast and some sort of repeater and I just can't afford to risk the cash on a HughsNet system. Verizon won't even risk us.

Comments:

Review by CompTech210 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Zero Downtime"
Bad "Number Porting Nightmare on TWC's side not wanting to give up the number."
Overall "Its great all around once its hooked up properly"

We have had ATT, then U-Verse, TWC, Now back to POTS ATT/DSL

Since getting everything straight on the number port from TWC back to ATT which was a nightmare in itself. (And as a side note TWC will take their sweet time releasing a number from their grasps).
When we were initially reinstalled we grabbed the Combo POTS/DSL Pro deal for 60. Which was great but i noticed that my line could sync up to 9990 max attainable and with one quick post over in the direct forum we were able to call in and get upgraded to Elite for five dollars more a month.

Overall i couldn't be happier with the pricing and how everything just works.
In the few but purely random power outages we have had here in NE SATX my battery backup has kept my network/WLAN running the whole time with no noticeable disconnects.

Current Equipment: currently I am using a Motorola 2210 Modem hooked to a Netgear WNDR3700v3 and i'm having the NETGEAR handle all routing/firewall duties for the time being.

Comments:

biotech

@66.249.113.x

AT&T POTS?

So you switched from TWC(soon to be "Mother" Comcast) to Ma Bell. You've said that you used to have U-Verse. If you were using U-Verse before provided that you haven't moved from your location in San Antonio, why are you using DSL now along with AT&T Texas's local exchange service?

Re: AT&T POTS?

Due to a wiring issue in the neighborhood years ago u-verse wasn't living up to its expectations. TWC ended up being alright but the constant rate hikes and downtime was too much to handle when outages were frequent.
Im now using their older ADSL and POTS due to it doesn't go down like TWC used to and stays up even when the power goes offline also. Reliability is key for me and what i do for a living.

@66.249.113.x

Re: AT&T POTS?

How did you even do it though because I thought that once you had U-Verse in your area, you can't move back to the old DSL service anymore

Re: AT&T POTS?

I just called up sales and inquired about any regular phone and dsl deals. My area has U-Verse and ADSL both available. SA will most likely be one of the last AT&T areas to be force migrated to u-verse for various reasons. They are now sorting out the wiring issue in my area as to why U-Verse is available but has issues keeping a signal.
cmarslett

join:2006-11-22
Pflugerville, TX
·Clear Wireless
·NetTalk
·T-Mobile US

Re: AT&T POTS?

I wish we had the same options here in Pflugerville. They eliminated DSL support here and thus forced us to U-verse (and we never got a connection, not one time). So we had to drop AT&T and go with Clear. Not as reliable, and slower downloads (though faster uploads).

Re: AT&T POTS?

Reach-out to David See Profile and he should be able to help get the ball rolling to get you connected somehow. Anytime i have had issues with connection or support issues he got the roadblocks cleared and everything working properly.

chasm

@clearwire-wmx.net

Re: AT&T POTS?

Thanks, I'll try once more. There do seem to be some (at least one) ADSL subscriber left in the neighborhood. So it shouldn't be a hopeless quest.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath
Once U-Verse is available and fully up and running to migrate customers over to it- you will be forced to switch unless you find a 3rd party ISP to keep your aDSL as aDSL is being moved over to IP-DSL or U-Verse DSL. You're area will be sooner than you think.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
In Illinois the company has been pushing dial tone onto dry loop customers for no charge.

@sbcglobal.net

Re: AT&T POTS?

....If Illinois's PUC still have control over the ILEC(A.K.A AT&T Illinois formerly Illinois Bell), they may require that they provide dial tone to all people that have a connection to the CO or RT regardless if customers have cancelled their landline service (which I really don't get). Frankly, I think Illinois requires them to put out a soft dial tone.

Review by BadHat See Profile

• Location: Rosa's Place
Good "Cheap"
Bad "none at the moment"
Overall "Not spectacular, but pretty good."

Retried Uverse DSL. Better luck this time. Not spectacular, but pretty good.

member for 10.5 years, 3391 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by drlysko See Profile

• Location: Euclid,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "reliable,cheep.nonintrusive virus/spy ware.great customer svcs"
Bad "went up to $25"
Overall "5 years now; still loven it"

$10-768bps-actual630-reliable-great customer svcs.
$25 11/2012 768bps-actual 630-reliable-great customer service. still loven it.
$28 8/2013 768bps-actual 630-reliable-great customer service. still loven it.

Comments:

Review by bigozone1 See Profile

• Location: Corbin,Whitley,KY
Good "Great service back in 2002 when installed.. Overall good service, but aging!!"
Bad "only upgraded once from 3Mbs to 6Mbs which are rarely achieved due to lenght from DSLAM"
Overall "with SLOW SPEEDS and INCREASING prices it's value is iffy at best."

·AT&T Southeast
Well KY defeated the big teleco's attempt to divest themselves of having to support the COPPER LINES in the entire RURAL areas of the state w/o a population of 500 per what ever.... well they failed.

anyway... now that i have my bill back to a payable rate and all i had to come back and update this review. in a speedtest.net test i get 90% or more even over 100% of the advertised speeds. of course durring peek hours i am lucky to get half of that due to the bloated AT&T DSL newtwork. but to get 6.0Mbs DSL and POTS for $33. i can't complain, that's the cheapeast it's been in 5 years. (thanks AT&T Retention Department).

even had a POTS phone problem saturday, called in problem 1pm eastern time; and by 3:30 a tech was calling for directions to come out and fix it the same day. And to think AT&T service rep told me it would be wed before they could get to my issue.

10 of 10 for service and the tech who came out to fix my issue.
10 of 10 for the Retention Department for realizing that 35 yr customers should get a break not the shaft
02 of 10 for moving email to yahoo
00 of 10 for not splitting the wired and wireless parts of the company into two an-affiliated businesses, may be then they'd feel more like supporting existing wire!

back 10 years ago it was great, and after doubling in speed it helped the service stay relevent. But now with AT&T trying to get out of being the provider of the LAST MILE in my state and having succeeded in many others, it seems the days of Land Line Copper that OUR USF taxes funded have been hijacked by the FCC thru the lobbying of the TELECOs for the purpose of expanding their CELL networks and forcing as many people as possible to the more expensive, more profitable wifi just because they can thru exerting the power of their money on our legislators. all this while we've sat by and let it happen.

i know one thing, AT&T has lost a land line customer for life.

member for 1.2 years, 41 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
tjnamtiw

join:2013-09-05
Royston, GA

Me too!!

I'm the LAST person on my dsl line and suffer badly! I have the 6.0 service but NEVER see much over 4 on the best of days. My real problem is the upload speed of 0.15mbps at best and most times much worse. From Manila of all places they tell me I have excellent service! The repair man visits often and can do little more than clean up the mess the last guy left and put in a new terminal box.
I have no other options except satellite which stinks just as badly from what I've read. If they don't do something soon, I WILL go that route. I have Ooma voip so I don't know how that would be affected. My voip suffers very much also since it needs about 130kbps to have decent QoS. That's my ENTIRE bandwidth on upload so when someone calls, I have to madly run around and shut down internet on my laptop and cell phones! I've had it with ATT!

Review by BoulderHill1 See Profile

• Location: Montgomery,Kendall,IL
Good "Excellent connection"
Bad "IMO no bad points"
Overall "always works"

()()())()(UPDATE 9-2-13)()()()()()

Still on the AT&T DSL ELITE plan. Now paying less then last review. $27 per month for 6meg down ELITE service.

AT&T DSL just simply works!

As stated in previous reviews I would experience some issues in spring each year when the rainy season is here. This finally got resolved this year. A new drop was buried to my house from the pedestal. It was original and about 40 years old. Somehow it had deteriorated to the point that wet ground would affect the performance. All is well now.

I am just very pleased with the DSL service from the beginning in 2004. It has just always worked and worked well. Still using the original Speedstream modem supplied to me. Barring some network maintenance or other issue which has been slim to minimal in 9 years there has been no outages or other issues to be concerned with.

)()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()(

******UPDATE 7-10-11*********

I changed to the ELITE 6meg plan a few months ago.

I had it before but scaled back due to price at the time. I negotiated with the CSR and get the ELITE at $30 a month.

For the most part it still works great. There has been however some glitches. Typically each year in the spring I experience alot of random disconnects and issues maintaining constant speed. This happens when it is very wet with rain and windy as it often is in the spring around here. When the rain stops and it dries up then the service is solid again. But as soon as it starts raining the problem comes right back. It is now july as I write this and we haven't had any signifigant rain in some time and the service has been great.

I don't know what the problem is and have called service several times this year. The problem affects the phone line as well. When the rain comes there is alot of static on the line. Of course this is what affects the DSL signal. In my neighbor hood the lines are all underground so I presume the issue must be outside the neighborhood.

*******************************************

I have had the AT&T dsl for four plus years. In this time there were two evenings that the service did not work due to some regional work being done. Otherwise it has always been there. Started out with the basic pakage up to 1.5m for a year. Toward the end of the year I was contacted by AT&T stating that my term was almost done and that they could now offer me a faster speed for 2 dollars less per month and did I want to take advantage. Well of course. Toward the end of the second year again same kind of contact from AT&T. This time they could double my speed (up to 6m) for the same price I was currently paying. Of course I opted to take this offer and have been getting this same service since. Always pleased with the service from AT&T,SBC, IL bell, whatever is their name. You can always pick up the phone and know it will work, you can always go online and know you will access the net.

9/22/09 Still with ATT dsl. Simply put it works. Sometime ago they introduced a new pricing structure. 20$,25$,30$ or 35$ a month. no contract. I am on the 30$ a month plan which is 3meg down. Tests average 2.6 down. It's ok with me. My kids youtube lile mad and I NEVER have a problem with my connection.

8/19/10*****************************

Still with AT&T DSL. Price has gone up three bucks across the board. Still on the pro plan for 3megs down. It works and works well. I cann not recall having an outage or other failure in this past year. Kids still youtube like crazy and I have added a ROKU for streaming Netflix. All works excellent.

member for 9.7 years, 2775 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

LKF

@sbcglobal.net

AT&T Internet Service

Being charged extra for streaming NETFLIX .
I'm going over the Allowed amount of usage???
Is there something else out there or are all providers doing this?
BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

Re: AT&T Internet Service

What!?
Are you saying that you get an additional charge on your bill for Netflix streaming?

AT&T does have caps for allowed usage as many providers do.

I stream Netflix on my AT&T connection and have never been charged extra for doing so or been notified that I went over a limit. I stream quite a bit in my opinion.

Netflix does allow you to choose from three different streaming feeds to help control your bandwidth usage. It is found under your account page at Netflix site.

Review by vibsdj See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "It rocks!"
Bad "Excellent"
Overall "Very smooth install and consistent service at a great price"

There is a toll free number that ATT/Bellsouth tells you to cal 24/7 fir support. Whenever you call it, you get two options, press 1 for billing and press 2 for sales. There is NO option for tech support.

Thank heavens for dslreports. I was able to read the feedback, blogs and tweaks and using DrTCP was able to tweak my RWIN and MTU and get the 6Mbps download I am paying for.

I was told to avoid the ATT self diagnostic tool, that's fine because it doesn't work anyway at this speed.

Many thanks to my friends at dslreports.

Comments:

Review by sclement See Profile

• Location: Spanish Fort,Baldwin,AL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Consistently okay"
Bad "Relatively slow performance compared to local cable (20 Mbps)"
Overall "For this price could be faster-still IMHO"

Comcast D/L was 8MB vs ATT @ 5.8 - sounds de minimus but perceived as much faster

Comments:

Review by netwerp See Profile

• Location: Evans,Columbia,GA
Good "Price, Speed: 6+ mbs, runs multiple Netflicks, youtube & games, no contract"
Bad "Frequent line drops by modem - haven't been able to determine the source."
Overall "Want improved service."

We have two competing cable companies here, Comcast and Knology (now "WOW". Knology based in Charleston, SC, sold to "WOW", aka gowow.com.) I've had contracts with both. I no longer want a contract. Customer service with Comcast is infamous; Knology wasn't much better when I had it and GoWOW, while reputedly very good, has not made competitive offers. I needed to get another ADSL+ modem or modem-router to determine if the fault is with the line or service or if it's just my Dlink modem-router. Speed was good enough but the service got connection drops when things got busy on weekends and after school let out on Friday. I ordered the premium speed rate available here for DSL but without a land line telephone and no cable or satellite TV. I used my own modem because I found it's cheaper than paying rent. I got money back (rewards) from AT&T as incentive to switch from cable and because I use my own equipment. Speed is guaranteed to be 6 mbs . My modem-router is a Dlink DSL-2640B. Setting up the modem for DSL was a problem and took me a couple weeks to get it right. I chose AT&T DSL for the price advantage, no contract and the monetary rewards. And also for the experience of using and setting up DSL. Another (security) advantage is that my IP changes whenever there's a line drop. However, this seems to be standard operating procedure among ISPs. Changed back to Comcast no contract in 2012.