Clearwave Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Jonas48 See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Decent download"
Bad "Horrible ping time, installing took FOREVER"
Overall "If you live in Cdale and are a gamer, dont go with clearwave. If you just want decent download, its OK at best."

Im a gamer, so ping time is what matters the most to me in an ISP. Clearwave does NOT deliver good ping time, I play with upward of 100+ in most servers. The speed I ordered was 1.5 down and something like 256 up. I've yet to reach the bandwidth I ordered and am usually seeing about 70 kbps in most downloads.

To begin with, the installation process took a very long time. I ordered the service over the phone and had to drive to Marion to pick up the modem and filters. The modem ran me 100 dollars with an installation fee included in that price. I took the modem home plugged it in and called them and they told me it would be working a week from that day. When said day rolled around, it wasnt working yet. Gave them a call and was told I had to wait ANOTHER week, because the land line had to be cleared or some such reason. So, to recap, 5 business days to clear your landline (not sure what the correct term was), and another 5 for them to "hit the switch".

Everything ran smoothly after that point, my downloads were decent at best, however not what I paid for. I usually game every day, but the insane ping times I get has led me to cut back because its just not enjoyable playing with 100+ ping times vs. everyone elses 40-50 ms.

The bottom line, if your a gamer buy something else, and if you want fast downloads, look elsewhere first. The only good point is that their connection is stable and rarely has any downtime.

Comments: