buckeye cable page on DSLReports

Review by E Man1864 See Profile

• Location: Sylvania,Lucas,OH
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Any provider is better than Buckeye"

·Frontier Communi..
So I pay $115 for 2 HD boxes and 1 HD DVR with service and what do I get? One moment please on almost every HD channel. I am only able to watch HD TV 2% of the time I want to. On top of that they cut channels every couple of months. This has to be the worst cable company. Whatever you get, don't get Buckeye. Get Time Warner, DirecTV, or Dish Network, but do yourself a favor and don't get Buckeye. Life is NOT better with Buckeye.

Comments:
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

"Your stuck with Buckeye in Sylvania for TV, unless you want constant outages with a satellite dish."

Need to make a comment on that: I have had Dishnetwork for years and the outages i have had during that time is less than 10 for sure and all caused by really bad weather.By the way, i would keep Dish even if i had cable available(but i don't)

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN

1 recommendation

Not a Buckeye Cable decision, really...

"WUPW has ordered Buckeye CableSystem to remove WUPW’s signal from our system. To be clear, this is not Buckeye’s decision, but WUPW’s decision to withhold its station from our viewers. We regret that you cannot receive this station. Buckeye will continue to try to negotiate for the return of WUPW."

The owners of WUPW want more money from Buckeye Cable for retransmission fees, even though they are consistently the lowest rated station in the market. Sounds like the fault lies with WUPW's owners and management, not Buckeye cable, at least as far as that issue is concerned.
Original account from 2000 - given up in protest (I don't believe in 'Political Correctness') - but DSLR is STILL my home page...

JUSTS0MEGUY

@buckeyecom.net

Quit complaining Walter

I'm inclined to agree that Buckeye is far from perfect but I honestly believe the alternative (Frontier or AT&T) is much worse. If you're unsure of who to go with, don't let the rants of a disgruntled ex-employee deter you; do your homework and make an informed decision. I'm pretty sure Buckeye will cancel your service and issue a refund without any grief if you do find it's not for you. And no, I'm not a Buckeye fanboy... I just hate seeing a decent service get a bad rap.

Bottom line: No ISP or video provider is ideal but in my opinion Buckeye is the best value in NW Ohio... at least until Google shows up with their FTTH service!

- JSG

Review by miser See Profile

• Location: Sandusky,Erie,OH
Good "Rock solid connection - it just works. Good tech support."
Bad "Browser hijacks for notices, rates keep going up, they blame Netflix/Youtube"
Overall "If you already have cable with them, it saves you money by bundling everything together. "

I switched from AT&T DSL around April 2011. There is no other competition in this area other than satellite or a WISP that really is just for rural. This was when Buckeye was switching billing/management systems and let's just say they rushed that migration and the poor installer that showed up couldn't do anything. Luckily I hadn't canceled DSL yet so maintained Internet until they straightened stuff out. Needless to say I sent a few nastygram's Buckeye's way - received some service credits so that's fair. After the install, the service was rock solid. No problems, no unexplained outages sans (1) - and the rest could be explained away by severe weather (I'm talking wind, lightning, etc.).

Their tech support is good, even assisted me (via email no less) with setting up MythTV and a Ceton Infinitv 4 with Cablecard - although I don't care for the fact that I had to end up switching to Windows Media Center to get all subscribed channels. I do not know if the setting of CCI values is Buckeye's fault or not.

Bundled price is $170 and change, which at the moment includes HBO/Cinemax, but will be dropping that 1-Sept-2013 which will reduce the bill by $25 or so. Have the 6/1 plan soon to be 7/1 although they are raising rates to give this speed. I have an Arris TM722G DOCSIS 3 Telephony modem.

I noticed downtown that what looks like a U-Verse VRAD is being built - shall be interesting to see what, if any competition AT&T brings. They'd have to save me something significant, say $20 or more per month in perpetuity to switch.

member for 10.7 years, 572 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Caps & Rate Increases

You forgot to mention that Buckeye started to ca their users last summer and the "speed increases" have always been there. The one thing they were famous for (and still are) selling you a seed and after a few months - they'd change your BIN file to a slower speed. And with AT&T U-Verse- BEX can NOT compete against them $80 for all 3 services. Bex won't match it and never will. They'll claim BSCN is the best thing since slice bread to keep you from switching if you want to. Try U-Verse its a better product.
miser

join:2004-01-16
Sandusky, OH
·buckeye cable

Re: Caps & Rate Increases

If real U-Verse (a VRAD nearby) ever shows up, I'll give them a hard look. Otherwise there is no competition. I am at the edge of the service line (from when I had AT&T POTS and DSL before) and right now typing in my address says "768kbps down/384kbps up". Woo hoo. I did neglect to mention the caps, however - so does AT&T on non-U-Verse DSL from what I understand.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Re: Caps & Rate Increases

AT&T has yet to enforce any of their caps. BEX enforces their caps across the board- including BUSINESS customers who pay 2x more than a residential customer. If you look at BEX's numbers to AT&T's numbers in other areas- such as Toledo, you will find who is the front runner on all services. And most likely it is a VARD as AT&T is expanding their FTTN and FTTH areas across Ohio.

Review by quimrider See Profile

• Location: Toledo,Lucas,OH
Good "customer service is responsive."
Bad "cable modem slows down in the evenings."
Overall "good service except for bandwidth capped at 200GB"

I will be dumping Buckeye cable internet as they have instituted a bandwidth cap of 200gb (both up and downloaded) as of 6/2012. Their customer service is friendly and responsive. I have heard of others having problems that were not easily fixed, I have had no such problems. They did run a new line at not cost from the cable service box to the house as the original line had been cut sometime in the past.

Comments:
hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

Caps

NOT everyone has a 200gig cap. It depends on your speed tier. Also AT&T has speed caps as well. ALL packages have 150gig cable up and down. So where do you plan on going?
Darkjeste

join:2007-03-16
Toledo, OH

Re: Caps

I thought caps would be the end of the world also but honestly at 200 gigs it's not as horrible as it could of been. They could of been complete pricks like time warner was and gave us small 50gig or so cap.

Instead it seems like they actually thought about that people do more then check their email. If you need a bigger cap then get more then the 5mbit tier as the other poster said they are not all 200 gigs,this isn't comcast where one cap fits all.

I download a lot of stuff,stream quite a bit on my roku and play ton's of games with lot's of updates and so far there has only been one month where I was brushing the edge of the 5mbit tier cap.

Not sure who else your gonna go with,Ohio and many other states suck for ISP options.
hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

Re: Caps

Toledo has ATT but they're cap is even lower. It's 250gigs on ALL U-Verse plans and 150gigs on DSL.

Nobody else in Toledo offers anything better, yet, and no other TV options but those two unless you do OTA and DirecTV/Dish, until next year.

Review by Ladynaye See Profile

• Location: Toledo,Lucas,OH
Good "Speed, speed, and more speed!"
Bad "I wish I didn't have to pay for it. Caps on all tiers!"
Overall "If you are in the Toledo area, you better go with Buckeye!"

Update: 5/31/12 Buckeye will start to cap all speed tiers starting on 6/1/12. :-(

Update: 11/1/10 Buckeye will have 50Mbps down and 3Mbps up!!

I can't wait for the speed increase on 11/1/10. I am so getting it!!

Update: Buckeye's 30Mbps down speed tier now has 2Mbps up!

Buckeye just added a new speed tier, 30Mbps down and 1Mbps up. I just got the speed upgrade today from the 20Mbps package and it is so awesome!

Comments:

Review by matteo0021 See Profile

• Location: Toledo,Lucas,OH
Good "get my speed no matter what time of day, no issues with bittorrent or anything else, best service ever"
Bad "wish it was cheaper would love there promo/new customer pricing to be normal pricing"
Overall "best internet ive ever had and awesome customer support and tech support"

Everything is awesome internet wise, just wish it was a little cheaper. loved that they wont go with bandwidth caps. i have 20m up and 1.5m down connection and often will break my speed and hold it steady.have the Arris docsis 3 modem. Whenever i had any issues i called tech support they sent someone out quick and would fix the issue top notch support in or out of the office.Heard from buckeye tech 6-8 months back they are testing 100 meg in a few neighborhoods on coax. Hope it goes citywide soon. lived in texas for a while had timewarner and atat down there. This is by far faster. At&t sucks in my area because they say 6mbps is fastest I can get at my location and i live 5 min from main office. networks terrible they are dragging there feet on upgrading. here its distance between you and main exchange office which if you are in the getto you can get there top speeds or near the university. buckeye no matter if you get all three (video,internet,phone) they are great in every category.By the way when you call tech support with a issue and say yes when they ask if you have a router they dont just blame the router as the issue like at&t has done in my experiences.

Comments:

Review by lasinwald See Profile

• Location: Sandusky,Erie,OH
Good "Better than other options in the area."
Bad "Many times slow and/or undependable connection. I work online so this is a huge issue for me."
Overall "If I could find another, more dependable option, I'd jump at it!"

Latest speed results:

Comments:

Review by PacketExodus See Profile

• Location: Toledo,Lucas,OH
Good "Speak English"
Bad "Inconsistent Speeds, Broken UDP, Excessive Traffic Shaping and Throttling"
Overall "Good for casual web-browsing and email, but not much else."

When we first signed up for BEX 5.0 back in 2005 the service was flawless. Web browsing, file-sharing and gaming was all very vast fast and consistent. Even though the service was asymmetric with less than 800kbit of upload, the connection was solid around the clock and could handle any application. The service was fast, latency was low, and had no problems. We were happy.

Sometime in the second half of 2007 Buckeye Cable began to throttle p2p internet traffic which ended up affecting not just file-sharing apps but also online multiplayer games too. Upstream traffic would be rate limited to about 1/10th of what we were paying for and latency would shoot up to around 500ms, severely impacting online games.

In 2008 Buckeye added a concurrent connection (or session) limit to their AUP which they said was put in place to limit the spread of malware on their network. This had the inadvertent side effect of breaking most udp-based applications. Because UDP is so widely used for online gaming, this limit has been the bane of my gaming experience ever since. Read »forums.steampowered.com/forums/s···t=787588 for a point-by-point explanation of the 'broken UDP' interpretation, as it relates to online gaming.

At the moment we're considering the switch to DSL because of Buckeye's extensive traffic shaping practices and unwillingness to resolve the broken UDP issue (they consider it a non-issue). AT&T U-Verse is available at my address but we probably won't try it until they get all the kinks worked out.

Comments:

Review by trissypissy See Profile

• Location: Toledo,Lucas,OH
Good "Mediocre at best."
Bad "Expensive, Slow, Asymmetric speed, Constant TV Ads"
Overall "See if AT&T offers U-Verse in your area"

We ordered the fastest package they would give us, which is 12mbps down / 1mbps up. They wont give us anything faster because we don't buy their affiliated VOIP and TV service. Also, since we don't purchase their TV service, they charge us a $10 penalty. Mediocre at best.

I created a facebook group for people who loathe Buckeye Express: »tinyurl.com/buckeye-express

Also they are using the PERFTECH ad-injection engine to remind customers to pay their bill by intercepting HTTP requests.

Comments:

Review by wizneber See Profile

• Location: Toledo,Lucas,OH
Good "Reliable fast speed. Little down time. Great Service and local support."
Bad "Could be considered a bit expensive but the support more than makes up for it."
Overall "Best ISP in the area."

I have had the service for over 3 years now and have been very happy with what I'm paying for. The speeds are reliable and the the few times I have had a problem it was resolved quickly. The 2 hour appointment windows and usually next day service calls are great if a problem arises. Perhaps the best part is the that the company is local. Phone/Tech support are all local people who SPEAK ENGLISH!

Comments:

Review by Darkjeste See Profile

• Location: Toledo,Lucas,OH
Good "Great Service at ok prices"
Bad "Cost in these times."

I have been with buckeye-express for nearly 10 years or so now,ever since back when the cable modems were all like max download speed of 45-55k/sec. They have always provided good service to my area with very few outages and have never personally needed them to come out to fix anything.

The prices are not bad,I always had the highest tier package until they split them off when they went 8meg/12 meg ect. For a little while I had to use the basic package because of money trouble and that was just pitiful and that is the only bad point I will really give them.

I know it's basic and all,but outside of email and surfing the web (god forbid it had a video on it) it was ok. It even played games just as good as they really don't require high bandwith as long as you have 10k/sec+ upload,although patches for games were hell.

For the moment I am stuck with the 2.0 mbps package as money is pretty tight right now for a lot of people and you try and save wherever you can. It's a pretty big downgrade then what I am used too but it's still a good service and you can get by with it.

The other thing I do not like is that you need their basic cable service,I think this is not needed as some of us just don't watch T.V. It would be nice to opt out of it as really it's a unneeded extra 14$ or whatever on the package for a lot of people I am sure. Or at the very least a way to pick your own package of channels that you would want for a price.

If I could give some tips for them I would say the basic package should be at least 500kbps if not 1 meg,the 2mbps package should be at least 3 if not 3.5mbps

I think the other packages are just about right but maybe an extra meg on each one but they are pretty fine where they are I think. They would really be more then fair if you could take off the basic TV cost if you wanted.

All in all a great service at decent prices,I have never really liked SBC or whatever myself as I had troubles with them as well as some friends. For Ohio I think they are pretty much the best thing to go with if you are looking for broadband.