pathbroadband.com page on DSLReports

• Location: Arvada,Jefferson,CO
Good "rates and ping"
Bad "down for days at a time; initially no surge protector on drop from roof"
Overall "Down times not worth the data rate value."

UNHAPPY CAMPER.I live in north Arvada. Twice in the last 2 months PathBroadband's servers have been down over the entire weekend - which means not only do I not have any net access in my home, I can't get to my email from work. Today 2/13/07 we are in the 5th day of the second outage. Both times Path did not update their phone message over the weekend, which implies to me no tech support on the weekends. Oh boy.FYI: Path Broadband is a wireless net provider that offers 2MB/s up and down for around $40/month. When up the rates and pings are good. When down, ...? Also, no one answers the phone or will return calls when down.Arrrgghhhh!!!!

-Bob

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

Review by techie_1964 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Boulder,CO
Good "good price for T-1 speeds, great customer service"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Money well spent!"

To fellow techies:

I wanted to let you all know about this high-speed Internet company I found. I received their brochure in the mail advertising 2 megs with a coupon for two free months of service. I was a little hesitant to sign up due to the review posted on this site, but I had already dealt with companies like Qwest and Comcast and quite frankly, I don't like having to buy their other services just to get a fair price for Internet service.

So, I was skeptical....but I decided to call and see what they had to say.

I spoke with a very knowledgeable young woman who told me she could have my service installed and running in less than 48 hours. She raved about the fast speeds and told me there was a 30 day satisfaction guarantee if I was unhappy. Since the coupon offered free installation and two free months, I decided "What the hell? They are cheaper and faster than other companies and since I owe virtually nothing for two months, I'll give it a shot."

Well, I signed up for service for the following day at 9:00 am. The tech arrived at 8:55 am and had my install complete around 11:15 am. She was very professional and helpful in answering my questions about their service. I logged on (with her waiting) and I was getting speeds around 2 megs. Upload was a bit slower, but still incredibly fast.

About a week later, I received some technical information, a letter welcoming me and some information about their referral program - apparently, if you tell a friend and they sign up, you get a month of free service. Well, I have been using the service about four months now and it is EXCELLENT! It is by far faster than anything else I have used. I guess that this company had some issues in the past, but they must have turned it around in the past year or so.

If you want wireless broadband on the cheap, give these guys a call! Mention my name - I want free service.

Steve M.

Comments:

Review by snosrfr See Profile

• Location: Broomfield,Jefferson,CO
Good "none experienced"
Bad "5 appointments for installation. 5 no-shows. Rarely answered phone. Never responded to e/v mail."
Overall "Actions speak much louder than words (rather "inactions")."

Relatively new to the Broomfield/Interlocken area, I have been searching for alternative ISP companies for the past month or so. I found a few obscure and dated postings about a company called Pathbroadband, a local start up wireless provider. After reading the numerous reviews (95% of which were VERY negative) I had thrown out the idea of persuing service with them. Unfortunately my options were very limited and it looked as though I was going to have to go w/ either Comcast or Qwest. My issues with these two companies were that, with Comcast I was penalized ($) for not having cable television service with them and with Qwest, I was penalized for not having phone service! I don't like these tactics (hence the search for an alternative provider).

So I decided to call pathbroadband and see if I could get a feel for the stability. I spoke w/ a gentleman by the name of Leon who assured me that all of the negative reviews I had seen were for an internal rogue attack at the beginning of this year. He assured me that the issue had been resolved, new technicians had been hired and that the service was up and had very little down time. I opted to go ahead and try them out on a month to month plan with a guaranteed money back if not satisfied caveat.

I made an appointment w/ Leon for the following Thursday morning at 6 AM. Well, 6AM Thursday came and went. At 6:15 I called the cell number he had given me - no answer. At 6:40 I left for my office. At 7:15 AM I received a call from Leon informing me that he had ran into bad traffic and apologized for missing the appointment. It was no big deal, these things happen I thought, so I rescheduled for Saturday morning. Saturday morning came and went, no Leon, no phone calls. I again called and left a message for him. No reply. Monday and Tuesday I made several attempts to call the number listed on their website but never spoke to anyone. I left two vm's and sent two emails too. Sometime around noon on Tuesday the system informed me that the voicemail folder was full. Wednesday, for reasons completely lacking rational judgement ("if it smells like poo..."), I again called the main office number. To my complete amazement someone answered the phone! I spoke to the customer service person, Mary-Jo, a 19 yr old college student working part time M-Thr. She was very nice and apologized for the missed appointments, no return calls/email and frustration. In a final act of desparation I decided to make a last attempt at installation. Mary-Jo contacted the marketing and billing rep's to confirm that I would, in the case of dissatisfaction, receive a FULL refund including installation charges (a cautionary measure based on their track record). We set an appointment for 10 AM the following Saturday and she assured me that Leon would be there (maybe even early!).

It's now Monday morning - I'll let you use your imagination to finish this little story...

I called and reached Mary-Jo on only the third attempt this morning. We exchanged pleasantries and I then informed her that I would like to have my name and number removed from their system. She started to tell me that Leon told her he had been out to my place... I told her that she didn't need to continue. The old addage, "once, shame on you. twice shame on me." - THREE times! i should have read the writing on the wall a bit more carefully.

-Chuck Julian

Comments:

Review by gthener See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Boulder,CO
Overall "PATH trying to collect from ex-subscribers"

After having cancelled my service due to PATH's service disruptions...7 months later they claim I own them money for breaking my contract. Bob as indeed a one man shop and he's actually the person who suggested I change providers because they would not determine what the actual problem was. About a month after I swithed to AirCover, PATH sent a letter to all subscribers and former subscribers stating the problems were due to evil acts by an employee. Clearly evidence they were unable to provide the service I paid for.

I know they are sending notices to former subscribers here in Rock Creek requesting fees for cancellation. I complained to the BBB and they sent a response stating they did not have service outages. Clearly a lie.

Anyone else in the same boat? Perhaps a friendly class action suit?

Greg
gregthener@mac.com

Comments:

Review by mwarren42 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Boulder,CO
Good "None"
Bad "Completely unreachable (via phone and email)"
Overall "Poor support is better than no support"

I've recently moved to Superior, Colorado and have been looking for high speed Internet access. There aren't many options, and even fewer good options. They range from Qwest DSL (640k/256k) for about $35/month to 640k wireless and satellite providers for at least $100/mo. PathBroadband offers 1.5Mb for roughly $60/mo plus equipment rental or purchase. So far I've read nothing but good reviews about these folks. So, I went about trying to order service.

The first few days I was unable to reach anyone. I'd call and always get an answering machine message that said that customers were experiencing problems. Having read that this was a small business run by the owner and perhaps one employee, I didn't think much of it. I'd rather that my future provider prioritized resolution of problems over new sales, after all.

I kept calling back over the next few days. Still nothing but an answering machine. I left a few messages, but never got a call back. I sent an email, and never got any reply. Not even something like "everything is completely broken, we'll have to call you back in a week or so." Nothing at all. There's not even a notice on the web site that might explain the lack of response. Nothing.

A week and a half, countless calls, at least 5 messages on the answering machine, 3 emails later and I've given up. At this point, I have to wonder how well they really support their customers. In my emails, I gave them my work phone number, my home phone number, my cell phone and my pager. I told them that I'd be available until 11pm. I never got a call back or an email.

High speed Internet access at home is necessary for my work. I simply can't wait around in the dark forever. If I at least had an idea of when they might be able to set up my connection I might be able to justify holding off a little longer. But after trying for this long and not getting ANY response what-so-ever (even after telling them that I only wanted an idea of how much longer I'd have to wait), I simply can't wait any longer.

I've never had so much trouble trying to buy something.

Comments:

Review by rjraider21 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Boulder,CO
Good "GREAT connection, GREAT gaming, A++++,I LOVE IT!!!"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Great Internet, you got to get it"

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.... thats all I have to say, I mean i was a little worried at first that the connection would not be up to par, but when I tried it out for the first time i was amazed!!The first thing I checked was the connection speed at this very site, it was sonething like 1450 k download and 650 k upload. I was very impressed. The second thing I tried was gaming, so I hooked up my PLAYSTATION 2 with the network adapter and tossed in Socom U.S. Navy Seals and It was perfect, NO LAG, NONE!!! The one thing path said I could not do in internet gaming was host a game but I was able to host games, so it was great. Next I tried games like Americas Army and Medal of Honor and they also both worked great with extremely low ping. I just love path broadband, very fast and very cool.

Comments:

Review by DrumAt5280 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Boulder,CO
Good "Tech Support"
Bad "slightly high latency"
Overall "If support is important to you, this is the place"

Update 8/6/03
Speeds have slowed down to an average of 950K download and Comcast just came to my town today so I will be switching to Comcast because of their 1,700K download and cheaper price.

Orignal Review:
Average speeds for the past few weeks: 1,100k down, 750k up.

Fastest speeds: 3,700k down and 1,100k up. (Occurred when they 1st signed with Level(3)).

Slowest speeds: 40k down and 170k up. (Occurred when they used WebConnects).

Average latency around 95ms (from line quality tests). Seems high?

No packet loss.

The service has been down 7 times since I got it in January of 2003. Average down time around 20 minutes.

Very small company where the owner installs and maintains the whole network.

Support doesn’t come any better than this. Only one guy (they might have two now), but he really takes care of his customers at anytime of day or night.

Uses the Motorola Canopy system, I am guessing they have a few hundred clients on their system by now, which might be the largest wireless provider in Colorado. They will never run out of Bandwidth because their equipment sits on top of the Level(3) headquarters building. The somewhat high ping times are coming from the Canopy system – I am not sure why, but they are looking into it.

They had many problems with 1st bandwidth provider (WebConnects); I always got lots of packet loss. Fixed now.

I worry about Canopy's unlicensed system (someone else could come into town and cause interference), so I am going month to month at $60 a month and a $15 rental fee. The radios are too expensive to buy.

Static IP.

Comcast is coming to our town in the next few months; it will be interesting to see if their pricing structure changes.

I have had DSL from Qwest and Sprint BB Direct; I can tell you this service is much better than those.

Highly recommend them now, but with Comcast's 1,700k down speeds, lower latency numbers and possible lower costs, I am not sure which one might be better at that point.

member for 12.7 years, 1482 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by skessler

• Location: Louisville,Boulder,CO
Good "Small, responsive company. Fastest broadband I have used."
Bad "$299 Install fee if sign less than 2 yr agreement."
Overall "One of the few serivces available in Rock Creek. By far the best currently."

I have been using pathbroadband.com for 2 months. Great service,
installed within a 3 days of calling them. They recently switched their
backbone to Level3, and the speed increase has been incredible. The
speed tests avg between 1.5 and 2M. The cost is $75/mo ($60 + $15
equipment rental), and install is free if you sign a 2yr agreement.

(review was emailed from domain invantage.net)