Nothing But Net page on DSLReports

Review by LastDon See Profile

• Location: London, ON
Good "fairly good"
Bad "support not many working?"
Overall "you get what you pay for"

Things have been good, Ody.ca bought nutnbut a while ago, so far things are good. no complaints.

bell tickets and requests were fast, and things moved well with issues i had.

Comments:

Review by bryanviper See Profile

• Location: Radom,Washington,IL
Good "Great Fast Isp"
Bad "Not Much"
Overall "Great Isp Worth Ever $$"

The company has now been bought by ODY.ca ever since that the isp has been Very good

Company started to throttle Torrents would not fix problem after many e-mails over 2 months. Finally had enough and moved to teksavvy.com

Comments:

Review by lawrence171 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "None"
Bad "Tech. Support Not always available. Router issues ALL THE TIME!"
Overall "Poor Service for one price."

·Acanac
NBN is just garbage these days. Well... See ya!

member for 12.3 years, 2541 visits, last login: 252 days ago

Comments:

Review by monkeywork See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
  • CLEC party: Bell Canada
Good "Used to be a decent ISP"
Bad "Huge Connection Issues, Tons of Excuses, Billing doesn't care, Port Throttling"
Overall "STAY AWAY"

Some threads on the forums you should read to just get an idea how bad these guys have gotten.

»NBN speed problems?
»The "I'm Seriously P/O with NBN" thread
»NBN has changed plans - passed unnoticed?
»Nothing But Net service problems AGAIN?
»Hyperfast, NBN reseller, is ceasing operations.

Comments:

Review by piotrick See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Very reliable, inexpensive, freedom to run personal servers, no caps, ability to own or rent a modem"
Bad "None really... perhaps the ping times are 5-10 ms higher than the big companies"
Overall "Great ISP that provides solid service at a very attractive price."

There's not much else to say here. My service was active on the date requested, and everything has run fairly smoothly since then. Speedtests have always been consistent. A plus is that the employees of NBN check the Canadian Broadband forum quite regularly.

Comments:

Review by newsoft See Profile

• Location: Montreal
Good "Used to be good"
Bad "not enough bandwidth"
Overall "Don't use this ISP"

I've been with NBN for a year. Initially everything was great.

Then they stopped subcontracting the golden.net network and news server and went on their own. Boy they really weren't ready for that.

They switched from a great news server to UUNET's awful news server which
is missing lots of recent posts in text newsgroups like news:can.internet.highspeed
I don't use binary newsgroups but I suppose that's even worse.

Then then had abysmally slow service around labor day which went on for a month.

When the service finally came back the P2P programs became really slow, even slower than a 56k modem connection, but the web fared better. Without informing their users, they slowed down the file sharing connections so downloads would now take ages.

For the past couple of days it's even slower for the web, top speed is around 128kbps for WEB!!! Now you can't even look at a page with many graphics or it will take a minute to load.

The DNS server sometimes times out. Either it's the server itself or the connection to it.

I don't use their email system. Hotmail does the job fine.

The boys at NBN are very courteous, but obviously they don't know how to run their own network or are more interested in making profits than getting more bandwidth to server their users. I think Ayden at NBN is trying to do like Ralph is doing at IStop.

Comments:

Review by Deceneu See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Low Price"
Bad "Poor customer service, lack of communication"
Overall "Think again before signing up!!!"

I signed up with NBN in 2002. It was a pleasant experience until the summer of 2003. Ayden, the president of NBN, used to keep me up-to-date on all the changes they did on the network, the connection was good, no complaints.

Everything changed this summer. First interruptions, no service for days, no email for days. In the end I got some explanations from Ayden, so I was at least under the impression that they care about their customers.

In September - October 2003, the speed on P2P application went down to max 1 KB/s/file. I spent weeks tinkering with my computer, believing that the fault is on my side (no message from Ayden so I thought all is good there). I had to get into DSLREPORTS to understand that Ayden capped the speed on P2P (port throttling) without any heads-up for his customers.

Right now, I am very disappointed with NBN, not because I use P2P applications that much, but because of the complete disrespect we, NBN's customers, are treated with.

It's a pity, because I really believed that small ISPs need to be encouraged. Maybe NBN grew too much in the past year and now they think they can treat their customers like a "big company" does...

Comments:

Review by str7 See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Low price"
Bad "Throttled P2P speeds at 4kb/s, E-mail service is sub-par, bad Newsgroups"
Overall "I guess you pay for what you get..."

Ever since I signed up with Nothing but Net the service has been sub-par.

After about two weeks of using their service, they capped all connections to 500kbit/s for a whole month.

A bit after that, the E-mail service started degenerating: e-mails aren't instantaneous with NBN and will sometime take upwards of 12 hours to get through. Also, you can't send e-mails from NBN to hotmail or yahoo or many other providers because NBN mail servers are on spam blacklists.

Their newsserver is a pure vanilla server without any binaries and they don't even have 99% completion on text newsgroups.

I guess that with Nutnbut.net you get what you pay for. I was with AEI before, which isn't by any standard a stellar ISP, but service was comparable, if not better.

I would say: avoid this isp unless you can't pay more than 29$/month, there are better choices around.

member for 10.8 years, 473 visits, last login: 9.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by rapturedx See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Cheap, Reliable Connection, Good Speeds, No Cap"
Bad "Poor Tech Support, Only 2 Email, Poor Newsgroups"
Overall "Best ISP available to Canadians in Ontario"

I live in the London, Ontario area which is where Nothing But Net is located. So I signed up on their website and the next day I was able to go to their office to pick up the modem. If you live far away, I think they ship the modem to you which I could see being a pain. The modem rental is included in the price but required a $50 deposit, although my credit card still hasn't actually been charged yet. The modem I got was a Gnet BB0060. After signing up they said it would take 5 business days for my connection to be activated. On the day my account was supposed to be activated, my modem wasn't getting any signal. I called their tech support (which I believe consists of 2 guys who alternate and carry around cell phones). I took me about 4 hours to get a hold of them and it was 11:30 pm or so by this time. I don't know how available they will be in the middle of the night if needed. Basically since NBN gets their ADSL from Bell in bulk and resells at a cheaper price, the tech guy said I had to fill out a trouble ticket which would be sent to Bell, and Bell would get back to me within 48 hours. 48 hours for a response from Bell in the future could be a problem if my connection ever goes down. I took Bell a full week before they finally responded and based on their message on my answering machine, it sounded like a really simple problem to fix, and I bet if I was actually with Sympatico, it would have been fixed right away. After they fixed the problem I was up and running and have had no problems since.

In terms of speeds, speeds tests are showing downloads of 1.42 mbps and uploads of 382 kbps. This is typical for ADSL. I used to have Rogers which had 1.42 mbps/190 kbps. At the same time I have a friend who uses sympatico and has 1.42 mbps/520kbps but this may be an anomoly since Sympatico only promises 1.5/380.

From reviews of other ADSL providers, it sounds like NBN has typical newsgroups, which is basically poor. Their selection of newsgroups is quite large, but within each, the number of posting, completion of files and retention time is very poor. Basically if you are into getting file through your newsgroups this is not the provider for you, and you should go with Rogers which has an amazing news service.

What else: Connecting is very fast, takes like 2 seconds. Only 2 emails if you are into emails. No Cap yay!

Bottom line, if you are thinking of going with sympatico or are with sympatico, you might as well save $10-$15 a month by going with NBN. The only thing you maybe gain is better tech support with Bell, but I don't think downtime with connection problems is going to be a problem with NBN. If you need your newsgroups, maybe go with Rogers, or you can just pay $10-$20 a month for newsgroups subscription and go with NBN again and this way you gain about 190 kbps upload speed.

Comments:

Review by FUNCTOR99 See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "Friendly service"
Bad "Horrible reliability, Tech support non-existant sometimes"
Overall "Definitely don't recommend for anyone that wants a reliable connection."

I researched this ISP and it sounded great! I originally signed up for the 3 mbit service. Their website stated it was available at my number. A technician came to my house and told me that it wasn't later on. So I have the 1.5 mbit service.

The Tech support to setupthe whole system was great. nice and fast and friendly. I have had this connection for 4 days now, 2 of which I was away from home. The other 2 days, my connection has been comming on and off all the time. Often for over an hour at a time. I tried calling the tech support number, and no answer just an answering machine telling me to call the tech support number (which was the number I just called) :/

When I ran speed tests earlier when the connection was working I was getting 950 down and 250 up. For almost 2 hours now, I'm getting 450 down and 150 up.

The bottom line is this type of service is just not acceptable in the slightest bit for me. I need the internet on 24/7. Sure I can deal with the occasional disconnect, but I expect to be able to reconnect immediately.

As I said, I have only used this service for 2 days, but it has been 2 days in hell! So, I'm looking elsewhere. Everyone I have talked to has been really nice though. It's too bad their product sucks.

-- I miss my Shaw Cable up in Sault Ste. Marie - 5mbit cable for $40 a month -- :'(