Champion Broadband, LLC page on DSLReports

Review by The Shadow See Profile

• Location: Arcadia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Local ISP so good cust service with adequate cable and tv offering"
Bad "Poor VoIP choices"
Overall "Good value for money--reliable service. Good CS but weak TS"

A good local ISP I've had for many years. Meets all my needs except VoIP because their plans are not that good. Their CS reps are good bu their TS is very spotty. Many TS are not that knowledgeable or helpful. Some are just the opposite. The former are mostly new hires I think. Staff is small because ISP is regional.

Best part is they are reliable and stable and all ways give you best deal--that usually lasts one year. When your deal is about to expire you just contact them and they eagerly give you a new deal rather than flipping you over to the regular prices or packages.

They've been around for many years and they have areas that they specialize in servicing so you can feel assured that they are going to be around and will continue to maintain level of service and deals or promos.

member for 1.5 years, 900 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Blogger See Profile

Not applicable

Comments:

Review by Pulitzer See Profile

• Location: Monrovia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Local support personnel"
Bad "Poor performance, totally non-responsive, dishonest."
Overall "Used to be good but changed ownership and ISP is now in the toilet"

I’ve been a subscriber to Champion Broadband, formerly Altrio for many years. Until this year they have been excellent in all areas. This past year they changed ownership. Now they are a dismal performing non-responsive and irresponsible local and regional ISP.

I have a 10 MB connection. The fastest applications speeds I get at the best or slowest of times is about 3 MB down and 900 up.

However during peak hours such as weekday evenings I only get about .5, that’s point five MB or ½ MB down. The upload remains constant.

I have sophisticated software on my computer that measures all aspects or information regarding a connection. It clearly shows along with other information that the company is way short of bandwidth and cannot adequately even close to servicing their subscribers. Their forced idle and time variation specs suck terribly as does the quality of service specs.

However, the bad part is they won’t admit to anything and everyone from tech support to field techs and IT personnel all tell me they will check it out and then they never, repeat never call me back and neither to they fix the problem or even give a status on when it might be fixed. This has been going on for four months. And during the past four months the situation just continues to deteriorate at all levels from response to performance. The only things you can depend on now is lousy service, lousy performance, but the bill arriving on time.

If you live in the Monrovia or Arcadia area of California stay away from these folks! They do not have your interest at heart and they clearly are in it ONLY for the money.

UPDATE:

The last two weeks have only gotten worse in a variety of ways. I finally got fed up with all the lack of service, low speeds, incompetence, and outright dishonesty. So I emailed the head person in charge and detailed chronologically while naming names of all that was promised and never done, the failure to return phone calls and promised follow ups, the whole nine yards. My email was specific, concise, well written, logical and clear. I especially pointed out the dishonesty of aggressively marketing and attempting to sign up new subscribers in Monrovia given that the network was way short of bandwidth for the existing customer and that their speeds were getting slower and slower with speeds for me as low as .5 or 1/2 MB down at peak hours on what was supposed to be a 10 MB down connection. I supplied in my email all the technical readouts and measurements demonstrating my connection's performance.

The person responded by ignoring my email.

Then the latest insult. Today a door to door sales person from Champion approached me to try and get me to become a Champion subscriber, obviously not knowing that I all ready had it. Or to put in a slightly different way, he was trying to decrease service to existing customers who all ready were getting short changed with inadequate bandwidth from Champion by putting more demand on the all ready woefully inadequate bandwidth.

Shame. DSL EXTREME here I come.

Comments:

Review by echo_off See Profile

• Location: Monrovia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good Customer Service, Reliable Connection, Good Price"
Bad "None so far!"
Overall "Surprisingly good alternative to TWC and Verizon"

We were initially reluctant to try this company due to all the bad reviews on DSLR. However our previous ISP (Time Warner Cable/Roadrunner) was so bad (e.g., frequent service outages, waiting HOURS on the phone queue for customer service, etc..) that we just didn't want to give them any more business.

So in 12/2008, we signed up for Champion Broadband's 4Mbps promotion (6-months) for $24.95. The install was smooth: the tech showed up on time and completed the installation in 20 minutes. The speed was reasonably good for our typical use (surfing the web, downloading files, VPN in from the road occasionally). No outages or billing problems for the last 6 months. Perfect.

When the promotion period ended, the rate adjusted to $44.95. We called to see if we can get a cheaper plan and was offered (1) 2Mbps for $24.95, or (2) 6Mps for $34.95. No contract, and no expiration (unlike the initial promotion)! We opted for the lower speed tier because we don't really care for blazingly fast high-speed internet; just plain high-speed internet is good enough for us.

Last but not least: when we switched to a lower speed tier, the tech advised us that we would need to reboot the modem. When the reboot did not re-establish the connection, we called the tech support and was able to talk to a tech in less than 2 minutes. The issue was resolved by the answering tech in 5 minutes, and none of that "let me transfer you to Level II Tech" nonsense (ala TWC style). Now that is good customer service.

So, like another reviewer commented, I too agree that while Champion Broadband might had been a real crappy ISP in the past, this company now provides very good service at an excellent price. Give them a try if you are sick of TWC!

Comments:

Review by jmhatt See Profile

• Location: Monrovia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Excellent value, excellent products"
Bad "Wish they were everywhere in CA"
Overall "Best value around, best speeds, best deals"

From what I understand, the "OLD" reviews do not reflect the current company. The current company provides service in CA and is no longer associated with the former company based in Colorado (the former Champion Broadband and Altrio).

From my experience and that of my neighbors, they are great overall - they provide way better or at par services than the local phone company, other cable providers, and satellite dish providers. The value can't be beat and they give you MUCH MORE than all the other companies. My savings are significant over my former service with Time Warner. I currently have the "triple play" offer (Digital TV, High Speed Internet and Telephone Service) and get the best deal and value for my money compared to the other companies (who charge you for all the little extras). My in-laws love to brag about the great deal and service they go over going with AT&T!!!

Check them out and see for yourself instead of going by the lame (old reviews). They have excellent reliability, customer support and seem to only be getting better all the time. A real winner in my book. =)

Crazy for Champion Broadband

Comments:

Review by GadgetsRme See Profile

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
Bad "Sold Denver to Comcast"

Denver sold to Comcast effective 8-1-07.

member for 12.8 years, 6785 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MattHorton See Profile

• Location: Guernsey,Platte,WY
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Doesn't Work"
Overall "Avoid if at all possible"

The system worked great for a while, a bit slow but for a local cable company in rural Wyoming it was OK. The outages, once or twice a month were annoying but tolerable. And for the price Champion was the best option.

Since about December 2006 the system has started to drop the connection after about 10-15 minutes. After a while (minutes to hours) it then reconnects. According to 'Customer Service' I have been connected all the time! Well, my computer and modem don't realize it...

The field service guys are in Denver, about a 3 hour drive away. They come to Guernsey every Tuesday and sometimes on Thursdays. This means that getting anything resolved takes calling the call center, who calls dispatch, who tells you that at best they will send someone in a week. They then come, change something out 'on the pole' which has no effect and leave.

They tell me that once the problem is solved they will credit my account.... If I call and ask.... They won't let me just not pay for the non-service...

In talking to the customer service center today they finally admitted that this problem affected every customer in the town. However, they go on taking the money and come up once a week to try and fix things (they actually spend most of there time adding unsuspecting new customers). I work in customer service for one of the big Computer companies - if this was one of our customers, we would be working 24x7 until the problems is fixed - not just arriving once a week to 'try swapping something else'.

I have been avoiding changing to the phone company (Embark) because they require you have a phone line and hence they total cost is double that of Champion (I use Vonage for voice calls since I have two houses and can take the number/service with me).

member for 11.7 years, 157 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by R3I00 See Profile

• Location: Arcadia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "online most of the time"
Bad "recently random disconnects and high latency, almost imposible to play online games, ping jumps to 1200ms"
Overall "seems like this isp is going down the drain..."

I've been using this ISP for a few years, and have had a few problems along the way. However it got alot worse recently. I play alot of online games (particularly WoW and GRAW =P), and my ping was usually around 100ms, but recently (this week), I've been having constant spiking issues where my latency would go from 100 to 300, then 500, 1000, 2000ms (yes, that 2,000 ms latency), and then drop back down to around 300. It has gone so bad that it's simply impossible to play anything. So being annoyed by this, I decided to call the support, but had to wait til next day cuz technicial support ends at 8pm...

After a few disconnected calls to the ISP and then on hold for 20min I finally got a hold of a tech. I told him my situation, and the first thing he asked was if I'm using a router, and how it's the router's problem. Then he told me to try connecting through the modem directly, and to call back if the problem still persists. I've never seen a csr so eager to hang up on me before, as I didn't even have a chance to say anything before he said "Thank you for using Champion Broadband, have a nice day."

I'm using Linksys WRT54GS ver.3, so I highly doubted it was my router, as this problem suddenly happened, and not a prolonged thing I've had. Anyways I tried connecting to the modem directly while calling back the ISP and waiting another 20min for someone to pick up, and nothing changed. So what does the CSR say now? "It must be your computer, since nothing's showing up wrong on our end, you're getting the 4mbps you're subscribing for." I tried explaining how it's not how fast it can go, it's the consistent spikes I'm getting, resulting in a 1000ms latency," to which the CSR responded, "The what?"

I didn't feel like arguing with someone whom they pulled off the streets and was handed a list of things to say when someone calls with problems, so I just told her to run a diagnostic test on my line. To screw with the CSR, I unplugged the modem, and waited to see what he/she would say. 2 minute later he got back and said "Nope, nothing's wrong, the signal went to the modem just found." ...So it sent a signal to an unplugged modem and got a response? I was more looking forwards to something like they can't get a signal, so they'd send someone to try to fix it...boy was I dumbstruck with the CSR's answer.

I felt it was futile to try to argue with a monkey, so I just said "Right....well thanks anyways," and then called up Time Warner Roadrunner and ordered their service. TWC is sending someone in 3 days to setup the line, and if it all works out (like all the good things ppl have said about TimeWarner), I'll switch over completely, including the cable service.

***Update 3/20***

Well the TimeWarner guy came by to check up on our lines, and told us that in order to install their service, Champion has to pull out the lines they put in (so I gotta cancel my service with Champion first). Furthermore, TWR currently don't have digital phone service (which is what I have for phone with Champion), so I won't have a phone line until a few months down the road when they do offer the serivce. The funny part is he told me that TW has the same problem I'm having every now and then, and they try to fix it as soon as possible, but it's not getting any better, so it's better for me to just stick with what I have. I told him it's not an occasional problem, that I've been having really bad latency and lags for a week now, and then told him about what happened when I tried calling Champion and ask them to fix this ongoing problem. He said "Oh, ya that's really bad customer support... Ok here's what you do: Call them again and tell them that it seems like a problem with the telephone pole as this started happening when there was a construction work in the area last week. You need to sound like you know what you're talkin about, and not ask them for everything."

So after he left I called up Champion again and, this time, tried telling them what to do instead of asking. I didn't exactly say what the TWR guy told me; I told the CSR I'm having alot of packet loss issues, and it seems to have been happening since last week when there were some construction works outside, and they might've hit some lines. The CSR scheduled me for an appointment on Friday which is the earliest they can do. I scheduled the time to be during peak hrs (which I think is 2-4pm, since that's when the worst spikes seem to happen) just so the problem will be alot more apparent. Sooo I guess the trick is to tell them what to do instead of asking them what to do... Now I have to wait til friday for the guy to come; really curious what he's gonna say...

Oh, and as of now my latency on WoW is at around 500ms...I think a dial-up gets around 350....what does that say about Champion Broadband? >.>

***Update 3/23***

The technician came by today to check out the problem...didn't do any good. I told him that yes my speed does get up to 4mbps, but the problem is I'm getting alotta what seems like packet losses. He tested the line for signal problems, which was well within the designated range. Then he tried installing a new modem, but that wasn't it either. Then he said it may be the wirings in the walls, and if that's the problem there's nothing he can do. I told him this problem started happening last Saturday, so unless those dead termites we killed came back to life and learned to chew thru copper wiring since then I doubt that's the reason... (well I didn't say it like that, he was a nice guy). At this point (15min since he came), he was outta ideas, so he took down my contact number and said he'll look into this and call me in a day or two to see if he finds out anything.

What's funny is that he said I'm the 3rd guy who's called and complained about the same problem playing WoW since yesterday, which leads me to wonder how many people called since last week? At one point I thought it was a problem on Blizzard's end, but then I see I'm not the only one suffering from this mystery error, and my download speed fluctuates between 540kbps and 0. Anyways the technician told me that if this problem keeps happening, keep an eye on the power light on the modem: If it goes from a steady light to a slow blinking one, it means it's have problem getting a signal. For now, he said, he'll have to go check out the node location to try and find a solution. I did point out to him that this problem started happening since last Saturday (I remember vividly cuz that was bonus honor points weekend on WoW, and I got screwed by this problem >=| ), and he said he'll go see if they did anything at that time -- installed a new node, upgraded the system, cut off the main line to screw with people...things like those.

I live near the end of Arcadia city area, close to Pasadena, by Michilinda (for those of you who need a reference). I'll keep this updated if the guy ever calls bak with a resolution.

Comments:

Review by .

• Location: Monrovia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Surprisingly...very reliable"
Bad "Latency is somewhat high"
Overall "After 18 months...I would recommend this service"

I've used ChampionBroadband for over 18 months now and I have to say that I've been very pleased with the service. Attached to the cable modem is a Linksys wireless router with a Vonage VOIP phone adapter attached to that. I am using WDS wireless bridging to other parts of the property as well.

All in all, I would have to say that the service has been rock solid; I've rarely had an outage. When I was experiencing an offline condition, a simple upgrade to a third-party firmware for the Linksys solved the problem. I did see even better reliability of the Vonage service when I put a dedicated UPS (small, 375va) for the router, cable modem and phone adapter).

I've only called for technical support once or twice and they were moderately competent, but did solve the problem. I think they blocked the original VOIP port (tsk, tsk), but Vonage quickly changed me over to another and it's been smooth sailing since.

I mostly do web browsing, downloads, VOIP and some P2P and it has handled the load fine. Measured upload/download is close to advertised. They have a terrific usenet newsgroup service. I can't speak to online gaming performance.

Just as an aside, I have never used 911 in my life and had dismissed the risks of VOIP e-911 service thinking that I always had a cell phone backup. Well, sure enough, I needed to call 911 early on a Sunday night/morning and when I switched on the phone: dead silence. Once of the few times that Vonage was disconnected and the cell phone was dropping connections...so, a word of caution to all.

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by CorpseSoup See Profile

• Location: Monrovia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "None, they're the worst I've had dealings with."
Bad "Lousy customer service, major network problems."
Overall "There's much better out there!"

When Altrio, (Champion Broadband's former name), came around my neighborhood, I was excited because they offered some really good deals on cable TV and cable internet. A short while after being acquired from Champion Broadband, (WHO???), service seemed to decline rapidly. It seemed that every time I needed to go online, it was down. They're reps, (all 2 of them), seem to love using the "sounds like you have a virus" excuse. I did have one tech come out to my house, and he was really cool. He gave me a new modem in the hopes that it would fix the problems... So much for that. I called one night for tech support and some lady told me that she was the only one there. I believed her because she was so rude, I figured she must have been taking complaint calls all night. I've since cancelled my service, which they won't let you do over the phone by the way, and ordered up Verizon DSL. That's another story, but at least I'm finally stable, and at like half the price!!! I've also cancelled my cable TV with them as it is equally as problematic.

The package I had was the Prospeed 2000 @ $39.95 a month. Claimed 2MBit was actually around 1 when it was even up!