Ground Control page on DSLReports

Review by voigtrobert See Profile

• Location: Mount Pleasant,Charleston,SC
Good "Mobile service for Datastorm on motorhome"
Bad "Too often at the mercy of Hughes when problems arise"
Overall "Have served me well for nearly 3 years of mobile service"

Tech support has always worked diligently to assist me whenever I've needed them, which is not often. When I do have problems, it is usually something involving Hughes NOC. If that's the case, there really isn't much to do except wait for the "powers that be" to respond. I've used GC for moble access since mid-2003 and don't see any reason to consider switching to someone else. Standard service for RV service has just recently dropped to $79 from $99--pretty good deal.

member for 13.6 years, 204 visits, last login: 3.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by picoscope See Profile

• Location: Detroit,Marion,OR
Good "Internet access in remote locations"
Bad "REALLY poor customer service, marginal tech support, unreliable QOS"
Overall "If you just want basic internet connection to remote location, they're fine. DO NOT use this for VoIP."

Quick review -

We use Ground Control to provide Internet Access and VoIP for 7 phone
lines in a remote location in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon. We pay
$639/month for our service plus an extra $24/month for an extra IP address. My experience of customer service at GC has been very poor - the technicians have repeatedly given me incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate information about their own services, and have been occasionally even been ignorant of even the most basic aspects of their system.

Currently, it is unclear weather or not our ongoing problems with VoIP on this system are traceable to our satellite connection, our VoIP gateway configuration, or some combination of the two. Regardless of this, I cannot recommend GC as a VoIP solution - at least not at this level of service. I understand that they are offering a more robust service that includes packet prioritization - but at a much higher cost. Just not worth it as far as I can tell.

That said, this system seems to work just fine for basic IP. Our internet access has been pretty rock solid and speedy since day one.

We are currently in the process of replacing our
Satellite based system with a microwave repeater tower to get our
phone lines sent to us that way instead. As far as I'm concerned this
transition can't happen soon enough.

Comments:

Review by w64 See Profile

• Location: Washougal,Clark,WA
Good "Available in the boonies, always on, speed, no phone line interuptions"
Bad "Main trouble is weather"
Overall "Get it if you have absolutely no other choice of broadband"
Mail,DNS,News:

Since where I live there is no other choice (may be, I'm researching others), and satellite does what I need and then some, if the possibility I can get something else will get it in a heartbeat, but for now satellite will do till then, no complaints from me and I'm very happy with it.

I had Ground Control for 6+ months now and use the DW4000 system and it's excellent in my opinion, minus weather related outages, pings, satellite system and using a computer for a dedicated host all works with no problems/issues, a plus with the service is you get a static IP and 500 MB FAP limit(see satellite FAQ for info about FAP which means Fair Access Policy), as for downloads I really don't care about the FAP I usually don't download much but when the need arise its nice not too wait unlike dialup, as for pings doesn't matter to me either all the years on the internet never played online games, satellite is however nice for browsing and the occasional download.

I gave Mail,DNS,News a high rating because I dont use there mail services, or news if they have it that is, as for the DNS it works 95% of the time.

Speed

Download from 400 to 2200 kbps, rarely see above 2200 kbps or below 400 kbps.

Uploads from 30 to 80 kbps, late night or early morning 80 to 100 kbps(just on occasion), and it can be slow as 10 to 30 kbps during peak times on occasion.

member for 10.6 years, 94 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by wmmc7 See Profile

• Location: Washougal,Clark,WA
Good "Always on, speed, available where nothing else is."
Bad "None."
Overall "Satellite broadband is available where nothing else is."

Update, November 29, 2003
----------------------------------------
Well it turns out to be 2 of my computers at fault and not the service, so I restored how I had it before the 3 previous updates.

Update, November 21, 2003
----------------------------------------
Well now the service is going downhill, I get constant errors either Satellite Link Error (504 or 506) or Failure To Connect To Web Server on a daily basis its been one or another or both, for this my review is going downhill, updated the connection stars section of review and costs, and too Mail/DNS/news, though I never used the any type of news or their mail system.

This has nothing to do with weather either my end and/or the NOC end (Network Operations Center, Germantown Maryland), it could be clear with total blue sky on each end.

Update, October 26, 2003
--------------------------------------
Now connection stops responding at times but only up to 30 seconds each time, as the result I dropped it down to 4 stars for connection, still happy though, but not as much, I also dropped costs down too 3 stars, because of this and the update from below, and I added on Bad points "Costs".

Update, October 15, 2003
--------------------------------------
Still very happy with the service and the same as above, though the last month service has been in and out, but on a temporary basis and I have no complaints with Ground Control service or when calling them.

----------------------
Origanal review
----------------------
Since where I live their is no way in my lifetime I'll get DSL, Cable or a WISP, so satellite is my only option for broadband here in the sticks or the boonies.

I had Ground Control for a week now and so far excellent, since I already had the DW4000 from Direcway I just called Ground Control(Direcway Business VAR) and got their service, well before Ground Control I had bad billing issues with Direcway and after a year couldn't take it anymore (should've done it sooner) so I cancelled Direcway and they de-commissioned the dish in July, so this month(August) I called Ground Control and now going through them, with the service you get a static IP and 500 MB FAP limit(see satellite FAQ for info about FAP which means Fair Access Policy), I have absolutely NO complaints about the service and I am very happy.

--Download speeds from 1000 to 2200 kbps, rarely see above 2200 kbps, and during peak times 400 to 2000 kbps.
--Upload speeds from 30 to 80 kbps, late night or early morning 90 to 100 kbps(but not all the time), and as slow as 10 to 30 kbps during peak times not all the time.

I had these types of speeds for 3+ years(since I was with satellite), anybody can see these types of speeds if the system is properly configured.

Satellite forum: »HughesNet Satellite (help and information).
Satellite FAQ: »Satellite Forum FAQ (tweaks and very informative information).

member for 12.6 years, 865 visits, last login: 10.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Billyt53 See Profile

• Location: New Iberia,Iberia,LA
Good "Excellent CSR's, DW4020 5 Public IP's, >100k up 2000k down"
Overall "Highly recommend them,"
Mail,DNS,News:

I am running two Ground Control (DirecWay & MotoSat DataStorm). I have the DW4020 in the office with 5 IP's and the mobile DataSorm system on the RV. The mobile account is $99/month and works all over US. Static IP's on both at no extra charge. DW4020 averages 100k up and 2000k down, RV account is more like a standard DirecWay with 30 to 70 up and 400 to 1000k down. DW4020 is a stand-alone gateway so no direcway software running on any network computers. Great system and great service.