Storm Internet page on DSLReports

• Location: K7C0C
Good "Reliable service, tech support was good with real problems"
Bad "Low data cap for the price, throughput was low for no explainable reason"
Overall "If you can only get wireless give them a go, if you can get DSL pick another provider"

Review for Storm Wireless
www.storm.ca

Was with Storm for DSL. Service was advertised as up to 5Mbps. Consistent connection speeds of about 2.6Mbps. Spoke to them on a number of occasions about the connection speed to see if it could be increased. Was told repeatedly that it must be a line limit or the cabling in the house.

I switched to TekSavvy mainly because of Storms 50GB download cap. TekSavvy offered a 300GB cap for $1 less than Storm per month. When the TekSavvy service came on line I was suddenly getting a consistent 4.98Mbps download rate. Unless it is an coincidence, Storm is playing games with their download bandwidth and letting the customer waste their time thinking they can improve things to get to 5Mbps.

If you need to use the Wireless service because you can't get DSL then storm is an option. If looking for DSL go with TekSavvy or even Freenet, better prices, higher caps and hopefully no bandwidth pinching...............

(review was emailed from domain senstar.com)

Comments:

Review by thebaron See Profile

• Location: Carp,ON
Good "Reliable high speed in a rural industrial park. No cap, business connection"
Overall "Good"

Used to have my business Internet with Bell but their service was garbage as was their support. I switched to Storm MLPPP with 3 lines. So far the reliability has been flawless. We moved our offices a few months later and the process was seamless.

Small company. Very easy to speak to and everyone is local.

member for 11 years, 4940 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

• Location: K7H1L
Good "Connection OK"
Bad "No customer service and zero accountability"
Overall "Unethical accouting practices - do you want to risk it?"

We were customers of Superaje Communications in Perth, ON (which was bought
out by Storm Internet) from early to mid 1990's to 2007. We had an
automatically renewed annual Internet Service contract with them. In
November 2007 we were closing our business and canceled the account in
person and by mail after receiving our annual renewal invoice in October.
We never received any further correspondence from Storm Internet. In March
2008 Storm Internet sent us to collections for non-payment of this account.

We recently became aware of this situation after speaking with our bank and
contacted Storm Internet. We asked them to provide us with a copy of the
invoice as well as all correspondence they claim to have sent us. They
could only supply us with the October invoice and an invoice from March of
2008 which we never received because they sent it to our Superaje email
account. They could not provide us with any other documentation. We told
them at the very least they needed to provide us with the letter they sent
us telling us we were being sent to collections. Again they could not.

Storm Internet claims to never have received our cancellation letter.
However, they also told us their Perth office was only purchased by name and
therefore all their clients personal data and all of their communication was
never transferred to the Ottawa office. Even with this knowledge and
admitting an internal accounting issue, they are refusing to admit this is
their error and will not remove our account from collections.

We have tried to take this matter to the division of the CRTC which helps
consumers with ISP complaints however because they are a small business this
CRTC division cannot assist. I am now left with the Better Business Bureau
and am hoping they will help resolve this matter.

The bottom line is: beware of Storm Internet's unethical accounting
practices.

For anyone in the Perth area that was with Superaje Communications and
continued on with Storm Internet beware all of your personal information was
left behind in their Perth Office. They never hired a company or sent an
employee to properly dispose of their documents and nor did they collect
their computers. All of your personal information (including credit card
#'s) was left for the landlord to remove and was likely just thrown in the
garbage. In this day and age of identity theft and compromised credit
cards, etc., this is a serious no no and the company should have a suit
filed against them for failing to carefully handle sensitive client
information. If you have had your identity stolen or credit compromised in
any way, you need to be aware of this.

(review was emailed from domain rogers.com)

Comments:

Review by SimGuy See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Good Service, Acceptable Speeds"
Bad "Monthly Caps, Line of Sight Technology"
Overall "If wired isn't an option, consider Storm"

Spent 12 months (March 2008 to March 2009) on Storm High-Speed Fixed Wireless technology in the Western Ottawa region. Given the Line of Sight requirement, a neighbour had to be converted to a node in order for us to be able to relay through and access the Storm network.

When working, Storm's implementation worked very well. Even during ice storms, heavy rain or very hot sun, the wireless connection hummed along at 3 Mbps. Latency was higher than on wired equivalent, but unfortunately that's the nature of the technology.

Storm was quick to come out and replace a failed CPE antenna when the original dish failed.

Ultimately Storm divested itself of all non-Ottawa assets to Barrett Xplornet, and in the process took down my neighbours node before notifying me of cut-off of service. Then, being charged for the last month while no service was available prompted a couple of Customer Support calls. Eventually the mishap was worked out and they apologized for the lack of communication.

All in all, if I didn't have DSL here and Storm was an option, I would gladly consider it again.

Comments:

Review by fedsal See Profile

Good "It used to provide a good service."
Bad "They do not care anymore. If you complain they tell you to move on, which I did."
Overall "Do your homework before subscribing to their services."

I was with Storm for few years. At a certain point they sold the majority of their customers to Explornet but I was one of the customers that remained with Storm. They changed my radio modem three times.

They were not very responsive to fix the connection problems I had. They used to provide a wireless connection at 3Mbps (upload and download). Now, my neighbors are telling me that they reduced the speed to 0.5 Mbps for upload and 1.4-2.2 for download but they continue to charge them the same monthly fee, as if the speed would not be a noteworthy factor for Storm's clients.

They say that the service agreement states that they provide "up to" 3Mbps not 3Mbps. They say that they stand up for net neutrality, but they cap the speed. I used to be proud to be their client.

member for 5 years, 0 visits, last login: 5 years ago

Comments:

Review by alec9 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "used to be fast!"
Bad "slow, high latency, low cap"
Overall "only as last resort"

At the time of install few years ago, was getting speeds of 200kb up/down or faster, now these days, max out at 50kb/s either way. Latency for sites range from 50-1200ms depending on site.Where as on DSL times are under 20ms.

Comments:

Review by ottawa_guy0 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Clean installation,"
Bad "Tech support non existent.... Connection problem? They snuff you off"
Overall "Use if DEAD ONLY option available."

In early 2003, I heard of Storm Wireless providing rural high speed to our service area. Being Casselman, Ontario, Cable did not provide HSE and DSL was non existent yet. I inquired about Storm Wireless and a tech came out to do a wireless survey, I was not eligible, so I left it at that.

I then moved away from Casselman, and into Ottawa. Rogers cable and Bell DSL were both available, and since I do alot of upstream traffic, due to hosting streams, I purchased both services. They run very well....Of course you have a bit of down time and a quick tech out to resolve the problem fixed that quite quickly. Those connections run my 1mbps upload requirement being load balanced without issues.

As the cost for monthly expenses in Ottawa became higher, and I am unemployed, only counting on streaming revenues, I thought maybe I would be able to move back in with relatives and get Storm Wireless high speed. I contacted the sales dept and they assured me now since they have a AP on the next street I would be eligible for 3mbps symmetrical service. They did a site survey in April of this year and confirmed that I am eligible. They then booked an install date for late May, since they were backed up for a while.

May came and went, and they did call us to confirm the installation, but since I didn't assure my relatives that I would be coming back to Casselman, they set the install for a September date. As the weeks went by, I decided that I needed to do some testing on the connection, to make sure it can handle 1mbps upload 24/7. I tried to push the install date up to no avail.

I then called another storm rep at customer service, and I have to say it depends on the customer service representative you get, some are very nice and some want you to get off of the phone so fast. He was amazing and was able to push my install up to a Saturday, but for an additional $100.00 charge. I agreed and charged the extra to my account.

He then came the Saturday, nice and early in the afternoon like he told me, he then did a speed test and told me I can get full 3mbps! Considering that I have alot of trees around the house and alot of brush I was amazed! He then proceeded with the installation.

We agreed that he would hook up the antenna to the hydro pole on our property. He aligned it like a satellite dish and all that is installed is a 16inch square wireless transmitter with a CAT5e ethernet cable coming to the house.

He took pride in the installation, and made as little mess as possible, all he had to do is drill a hole on the side of the house to get the CAT5e cable inside. He then connected a Power Over Ethernet (PoE) connection and I setup the PPPOE connection on the laptop and boom, I have high speed internet.

He then handed me the bill, and it was a little less expensive than the $400 install fee on their website. It was $212.00 with taxes, which is very reasonable considering the equipment he needed to install, and the 100ft of CAT5e cable he needed to run

Speedtests are very nice, download came in at around 2700-2900kbps and upload anywhere from 1700-2500kbps. I was able to download files at 307KB/s from Optimum Online's test server in NYC and upload to a server at The Planet in Texas at a varying 130-175KB/s! You cant even get that upload speed on Rogers or Bell!

A gripe I have with the connection, is the dismal 20GB a month throughput limit. A chimp can eat through that, heck its been about 18 hours and already a gig has been put through. There data overage is $1.00 a GB which is quite costly. I phoned customer service explaining that I would need alot more throughput since I would be putting about 1mbps upload out of there constantly. I explained my situation and that I would need 300gb - 400gb a month. He explained that 200gb packages of overage is $100.00 a month extra and I should talk to sales to see if I can get some sort of a deal on the overage.

Overall the connection has been rock solid, streams and webpages come up lightning fast. I could use a bit more downstream but the upstream is amazing for a wireless connection. I will be testing the connection in the coming weeks to make sure that it can handle the load with the weather and the connections going through to it.

I will definitely keep you posted.

EDIT: 7/17/2007 - The wireless service cannot be used as a reliable upstream host. I am looking into dedicated servers to do the brunt of my work, but for casual browsing, this is great

EDIT: 7/28/2007 - Already problems with the service. During the day the disconnects are random...been for a week now...load IE, pings to gateway die, radio reboots, reconnects, refresh page in IE, pings fail, radio reboots, etc... Been with tech support on this for a week, they sound like they don't care two cents about your business.. They better fix this soon or I will fix it with canceling.

EDIT: 8/5/2007

Where do I begin

Well It seems that I am on the "Storm Internet Nights And Weekends Plan". My internet works great with minimum latency on the evenings (usually after 5-6PM) and all weekend long with no problems. Downloading at 340K/s and uploading at the high 200's are great. Speedtests come in at around 2500kbps down and 2100kbps up on average and all is fine.

During the weekdays, that's another story.

Sometimes I cannot load a 128k audio stream, as soon as it buffers, or starts to load the stream, the connection dies. No pings, nothing. Cannot ping gateway or anything of that nature.

I called them on 7/21/2007 notifying them of the issue. Customer service is a crock of shit, they did some testing and told me anytime I load data, the radio reboots and PPPOE needs to be re-established. Once that is done (5-6 packets timing out) I can get a reply to the gateway and get out to the internet.

As soon as I load something (IE Window, Firefox, Winamp, download test, anything at all, even MSN sometimes!) the connection craps out and I lose packets to the gateway, the radio reboots, etc etc.

The guy at customer service escalated it to the slow-ass "Wireless Team" which takes about 50,000 years to get to your ticket.

I finally got a call a week later (7/30) from the "Wireless Manager" after about 12 calls to customer service that week. He agreed that the radio installed initially is defective, and that someone would be out "Sometime in the week to fix it". I am sorry, but sometime this week is not acceptable. I am not waiting around all week all day every day for a technician. I want an appointment!

That week came and gone, and no tech out, no radio replacement, no manager callback, customer service is doing nothing, nada, zippo!

I am expecting a call on 8/7 or else I am calling the credit card company to dispute my $307.00 charge that they billed me.

I think also I will call another wireless ISP and do a site survey, if I can get them... I will ditch this god awful garbage of an internet connection right now. I would be content if someone made the effort to come and rectify the problem, but it seems no one cares about nothing.

UPDATE: December 10th, 2007:

As I write this updated review, I can not get to websites correctly, so I hope this posts. This week the node went offline, again, sigh. I have to imped on relatives in a metro area with a cable or DSL hookup to actually get things done!

When it works, it works well...upload and download 320KB/s or so... when it dies, it dies for a long period of time.... weeks.

The "wireless team" is still very very slow, taking 2 weeks to respond. They show up magically without calling before hand.... there in the neighborhood and think people don't have a life and work.

There typical resolution is, call them, explain the problem, they tell you theres no problem. hang up.

Call again, tell them theres a problem, run a speedtest on their end, see the radio goes away, run another speedtest on the node, ok, reboot the radio, run a speedtest, not good....give customer a useless ticket number, and tell them the wireless team will investigate (which takes 2 weeks or so).

All while they take their monthly charges without issues.

Good lord, they are bad bad bad! Got a nice flyer from Xplorenet, call this number 1-866-841-6001 and it's $99.00 installation fee! I think I will take them up on their offer.

Here is my internet connection today:

Ping statistics for (one of my server IP addresses):
Packets: Sent = 15, Received = 8, Lost = 7 (46% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 81ms, Maximum = 304ms, Average = 176ms

That's very high speed!!!! wow amazing! NOT!

Comments:

Review by xgmranti See Profile

• Location: Almonte,ON
Good "Decent connection (Storm DSL)"
Bad "Low Cap"
Overall "Maybe a little better for wireless, but other reviews say otherwise"

Don't recall much downtime and the installation was smooth. I remember the modem being faulty but I was too lazy to do anything about it.

Biggest pain was the 10GB cap, which has since been raised to 30GB. You can get unlimited but it's a little pricey at $60 a month.

I haven't heard anything locally about the quality of service for their wireless but I do know you can get it in my town as long as you have LOS with the water tower.

Their main office is located on Sparks Street at the Delta Hotel in Ottawa. For some reason they wouldn't accept a cash payment there one day but I suppose that really doesn't matter.

Comments:

Review by Ribbie02 See Profile

• Location: Kemptville,ON
Good "Upload speed 2.5 meg at times....."
Bad "Reliability, On site service time,"
Overall "Looking at Xplornet"

Well this review comes in the wake of yet another issue with this provider. Lets just say I am on my 4th radio, have had 6 months down time in one and a half years. Happy? No not me. Sure they say they will have someone out in 3 or 4 days, but that is still not acceptable. The last outage was for a month and a half. This was due to interference from their competitor, Xplornet. The previous outages, one lasting 3 weeks, and the other one month, were due to "equipment" issues.

My experience has been the typical, just give us your money and we will see what we can do..... Even after they blow away their own service level agreement, in some cases trippling their response times, the only refund is that of the down time. Which could be called acceptable, but when I miss SLA's there are penalties.

As for the Tech support this is all I can say is, you have to call them to get ANY information. In one instance they had a tech out to work on the system. Then another tech called (mind you the ONLY call I have received from therm) the next day and said he would not be out to work on the issue. So I can clearly see they cannot even communicate with themselves.

Bottom line: Frustrated and going to spend the $50 to get the competitor to do a site survey.

Comments:

Review by grailofdeath See Profile

• Location: Vankleek Hill,ON
Good "before dyband it was great"
Bad "to many to list"
Overall "i am looking in to igs wireless"

i got wireless storm in 2002 before dyband was turned on i blew every test done in speak easy i was allways at peak[top of the list ] from the star with storm i had problems just to get it turned on was a job the crew came to my house and without even getting on my roof said [nope you can not have wireless,you need a 80 foot plus tower to get service] well i fought this for over 4 months because i could see there tower from my house top floor window, less then 1 and a half miles away when they did come they said ok but it would have to be on my neighbours roof [we live in a duplex] so we installed speed was great 1 year later i moved and asked to move to another location in the same town again the same story need a 80 foot tower , so i made a few phone calls to people in storm and one guy took me up on my bet that i could install there dish in less then 15 minutes with out a 80 foot tower and just the tri pole well in 8 minutes i phoned him back and was online they did a big meeting and gave me all kinds of promises such as my 500 dollar install would be waived, i was going to get a free month for every person i signed up i was going to be a reseller well months later i got a bill saying you will be disconnected unless you pay install ,i made a few phone calls and was told they are so sorry but once it goes in the computer they can not take it out [ya ok ] free months was 2 months for the over 12 people i got online and are still paying clients,well after getting no where with the promises,i and a few of my friends notice that our speeds dropped in october when the big power outage hit ,speeds from 200 plus kbs at ftp storm went to 15kbs we made our calls and got lots of tickets .we were told it was our computers ,i personally have worked in computers since the days of dos on old 8088 and have a nice side line in my area of computer repairs ,i went ahead a changed my lan cards i tried 4 all together ,formated,freash install and was still told it was my computer ,after a few weeks of this the story changed to it was there switch ,and the next day was told that the tech who said that was wrong it is only me and no one eles was having this problem, [the other 12 people i know and fix computers for did have the same problems]well after our complaints and fight every night for our speeds we got our answer from a head tec,they have done all they can do,they are pushing 3 meg a sec in to my radio and i am the fastest in town,at that time i did a ftp stom and speak easy test i was up in speeds last month i went post crazy and had posting around 1500 to 2100 in speakeasy, i received a call and asked what i thought of speeds and that they are closing my ticket if it was fixed or not ,i asked him a couple of questions one was how low will my speeds get if more user get online what is acceptable as lowest speed ,his reply was the service they just did will allow over 300 users on this service ,my freind and i still notice when we both do a ftp to storm i can download there test file first at around 150 and when he comes and gets the same file while i am downloading my speed will drop to 12kbps ,now i figure if they think 300 users can use this and not see a speed problem i am in the wrong bussiness i should sell broadband and hook 2 modems up and share it with every one for 55 bucks a month , ok i know that is wrong but i feel like this is what we are paying for i had to vent my story i hope other users have better luck then us ,one thing is for sure it is faster then dial up but not worth 55 a month it should be more like dsl prices because dsl is faster in speed