CCLHosting page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by Rhaps See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "All was good in CCL Hosting until Greg left"
Bad "All is wrong now Greg left"
Overall "Stay away from CCL Hosting"
Setup experience:

I had tried several domain hosting services until I tried out CCL Hosting following the advices of many here. CCL Hosting was really a good service, reliable.
The number of services offered was simply amazing.
Then all went wrong. The main support staff Greg left and nobody seemed to care anylonger about CCLHosting reliability. We started to see more and more outages.
My plan ended in June 08 and I didn't renew it. Well at that time CCL servers were all down.
Stay away from this host.

member for 13.8 years, 3831 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by sharondippity See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "n/a"
Bad "n/a"
Setup experience:

Company is now out of business.

Comments:

Review by Sentinel See Profile

• Location: Florida
Good "None"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Looks like they have abandoned it and are going out of business"
Setup experience:

Forget them. Don't even try them. Looks like they have just abandoned the company and are going out of business but haven't told anyone.

member for 13.8 years, 5079 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mattyk6 See Profile

• Location: Federal Way,King,WA
Good "cheap"
Bad "horrible service"
Overall "do not host with them"
Setup experience:

I've been hosting with them for about 3 years now. The last year has been horrible. I have been experiencing frequent outages. They made upgrades without letting people know. I have entered multiple service tickets and have not received any communication with them.

member for 11.8 years, 194 visits, last login: 4.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by lawilson2 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Nice packages for the money"
Bad "Customer service has severely declined"
Overall "I switched from them due to their customer service decline"

I went with Surpass Hosting and left CCL for 2 main reasons:

1. Customer service decline. It seems that there is a one man show there, and I'm not against one man shows, I'm one myself, but not for a hosting company.

2. More space/bandwidth at Surpass at a better price. $15/month was much better than $30/month for much more space.

member for 13.6 years, 2491 visits, last login: 3.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by koam See Profile

• Location: Port Chester,Westchester,NY
Good "Was good over 1 year ago, but no more."
Bad "Sometimes things don't work, but they USED TO always fix it (not now)"
Overall "Formerly had Unbelievably good personal service."

·Shoreham Telephone
UPDATE: I've given up on CCL and have signed up with Surpass. Wish me luck. ...UPDATE ...Surpass sucks too

UPDATE: More bad news. Emails that I send using CCL were being blocked by gmail so that I could not send to any gmail recipients for a few weeks. Now gmail is OK, but optonline.net (the major ISP in my area) is blocking all email that goes through the CCL ROME email server. Tech support has not helped resolve this for several weeks. I also think that a major client of mine (a large company) may also be blocking the CCL server IP. Needless to say, this sucks and I will be closing my account with CCL. Do not use CCL

UPDATE: CCL currently seems to be running without active support. Read my prior reviews below and you'll see that this is a big change. Perhaps Greg has lost interest in running and growing this business or has other priorities. Whatever the cause, I find it difficult to remain a customer when I cannot get real active support. If CCL has a plan to restore itself to its former glory as a fine support-driven business, I will GLADLY update my reviews to say so. I hope that CCL chooses to turn itself around so that I can once again count myself as a highly satisfied customer. I cannot do that now. I do thank CCL for all the help in the past. They were a really great outfit.

UPDATE: As many others have noted, the formerly great level of support has gone down significantly in recent months. Issues take longer to resolve and some are confusing. This is not the same CCL that it once was. I will consider other hosts now. Pre-sales info from CCL says they have free site templates but they don't give these to all customers, depending on which server they put you on. If the support gets better and more issues are fixed, I'll revise this review to reflect that.

The following is my OLD review from mid-2005. See above for more current info.

I know very little about hosting web sites, (and I have a very simple site) but I tried cclhosting based on many good mentions here at bbr. I have not been dissapointed.

First of all, the pricing is very low. Go to cclhosting.com to see the latest prices.

Whenever I have questions (and I have lots) I can go on their forums and get the questions answered - by other members and often by their staff, Greg and Mark.

Sometimes things do go wrong. It's often hard for me to tell if it's my problem or ccl's. In any case, they always help me figure it out and get it fixed very fast.

My only hope is that they are making enough money and find this work rewarding enough to stay in business long term.

I am into my 2nd year with cclhosting and plan to stay with them as my business grows.

member for 14.3 years, 5190 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Pathfinder See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Westchester,NY
Good "Excellent support, extremely limited down time"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "I would recommend them to anyone. Great value"
Setup experience:

Update 8/21/06 As of June 2006, when my contract was up, I moved my hosting to Surpass. It is a little more expensive for more storage and bandwidth. I really didn't need either but that was the package.

Unfortunately CCL had begun to go downhill when Mark left. It seemed to be too much for Greg to handle. Outages became more frequent and when they did it was impossible to get a hold of someone. I have heard that it is improving and if it were to get back to the level of service that it was when I first joined I wouldn't hesitate to return.

I was new to this whole thing when I started about 2 years ago. I had begun to outgrow the 10 M that my ISP gave me so I started reading about hosts here. After reading about CCL, I checked them out. I sent a few e-mails that were responded to quickly and concisely. So I finally singed with them and have never looked back.

member for 14.7 years, 8297 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ITGeekMonkey See Profile

• Location: Wylie,Collin,TX
Good "My site is still up. (For now)"
Bad "No customer service."
Overall "DO NOT HOST HERE!"
Setup experience:

I've been a loyal customer for 2 years.
Plan4
800MB Disk Space
24GB Bandwidth/Month
$100.00/year
Service was fantastic until a few weeks ago. Greg and Mark no longer post in the forums and they do not answer support tickets anymore. In fact the help desk »helpdesk.cclsupport.com/ has been shut down. Several members have asked for an explanation as to what the problem is or what the future holds for CCL but we have yet to get any answers.
Something is going on at CCLHosting and I would not recommend doing business with them at this time.
2/3/05- The Helpdesk is back up but we have still not heard word one from Greg or Mark about the disposition of CCL Hosting. I'm pissed!

2/4/05 Well, Greg has been located and posted an apology for his lack of attention to CCLHosting. Unfortunately it took a phone call to his wife to get his attention.
Greg, if your reading this, I'm sorry man but that's just not very business like. Personal problems could be set aside for 5 minutes while you posted an explanation to your customers.
To be fair. I'm giving CCLHosting another chance because they've been great to me in the past. Updates will follow.

Comments:

Review by Fobulous See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Price"
Bad "Customer service"
Overall "Used to be a Great Webhosting company but not anymore"

I have been using »www.cclhosting.com for almost a year now and i have to say that i'm very impressed with the services that they provided. Their online ticket system is very stable and they are very quick on the reply. Greg and Mark from CCLhosting are doing an exceptional job not just by doing tech support but general support on how-tos!!

They are highly recommended if you are looking for an affordable webhosting provider.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Update:

Last month was a rough one for CCLhosting, Apparenthly they have had hardware failures on the aruba server (the one i'm on) and it took them some time to get it all squared away. After this i have noticed that the email server would go down once in a while which is a pain when you really need email during that time.

Overall i'm still satisified with these guys as they are always ontop of what they are doing through good times and tough times.

Update:

Apparently no one is doing the support these days.

Comments:

Review by TerryMiller See Profile

• Location: Roselle,Du Page,IL
Good "Help and instruction"
Overall "A real web host that doesn't mind helping newbies"

June 2005 renewal:
In the year that's passed I have one bad thing and one good thing to say about CCL hosting. I wanted to renew early and they wouldn't invoice me early, that's the bad thing.

I screwed up the majority of my site so hopelessly that it seemed there was no repairing it. Apparently to someone with their skills it isn't that hard to repair though. In my eyes their responsibility should end with the keeping the server running and connected. They must see things a little differently, they literally had to drag the extent of my problem out of me and then voluntarily asked to have a look. Everything was pretty much back to normal an hour later.
I'm damn glad I renewed. I'd renew for next year if they'd let me.

June 2004 thoughts:
It's a CPanel site so integrated PHP apps (Mambo, PHPBB2, OSCommerce etc.) are easy to install. You can get a pretty good looking dynamic site up fast. . There's an awful lot to play with if you're a beginner and you want to learn how a real web site works. There could be a lot more available that I'm not familiar with, but I haven't tried a lot. No matter what you do you'll have to learn a little about web sites though.

Prices are reasonable if you sign up for a yearly subscription. Monthly prices are high, but I think that's understandable (who wants to set up a server for a client for a month?).

Support is good. In my case support was really training because the issues were mine.

There was one period of about six hours downtime due to failing hard drives. The downtime was announced in advance and they kept to the schedule. No data was lost in the replacement.

I guess I'd put them as a great step up from free hosting for small businesses or families. The reliability is probably better than businesses with a single T1. I can't rate them any higher than that because I don't have the experience to do so, they may be better than I say.

There would have to be a rather large change somewhere to make me look elsewhere when my contract expires.