Digis page on DSLReports

Review by Vcize3 See Profile

• Location: Ogden,Weber,UT
Good "Fairly reliable, good enough to game on, good alternative to some other local options"
Bad "Capped/throttled both daily AND monthly"
Overall "Much better than the only other alternative in my area, which was 1.5mbps CenturyLink, but not worth choosing over Comcast"

·EPB Fiber Optics
For some reason, I live on the one street in my area that does not offer Comcast. My only real alternative to Digis is CenturyLink, which offers an appalling and insulting 1.5mpbs here. Digis offers a much more reasonable 12mbps/3mbps option, with some major catches.

Before I get into those catches, I will relay the good news. Digis works by running a fiber connection to a local antenna, then broadcasting that signal over the air to an antenna they install on your house. That antenna looks like your basic DirecTv satellite dish and is free to install with a 2 year contract (ugh). I'm a power user, and one of my main concerns with the paultry internet options in my area was being able to game online (PS3, XBox 360, XB1, etc). I can confirm that gaming through my digis connection is in fact reasonable. You'll always be in the bottom half of the pings in the room you're in, but there won't be a noticeable amount of lag most times. It's not good for gaming, but it's good enough, which is the best I could hope for.

Additionally, the service has been quite reliable. Downtime has been minimal in the ~6 months that I've had the service, and the area's snow-storms haven't knocked out the signal on the antenna like they do on the DirecTv dish.

Now, on to the bad. Aside from the 2-year contract (ugh) and somewhat slows speeds for the price (12down/3up for the same price as Comcast offers 50down/10up) this mainly falls into the data capping territory. Digis caps by both the day AND the month, in the following manner.

Daily capping:

-At zero usage for the day, you get 12down/3up on their most expensive plan

-Once you've used a meager 500mb (one HD netflix 20 minute show, or one medium download, etc) you're throttled down to 7down/2up

-Once you've used 6gb for the day, you're further throttled down to 4down/1.5up

If you have cheaper plans then the throttling is more aggressive.

On top of that daily capping, there is also a monthly cap of 250gb. Even among data caps, this is a pretty low/aggressive one. After that you will have to pay a pretty hefty fine for each GB you go over.

As mentioned above, I'm a power user and as such am fighting with this cap most months. I also straight up cannot do many things that I would like to. I'm a photographer and cannot backup my photos online in the cloud because I shoot in raw and I would exceed my cap every month. Additionally, modern game consoles (Xbox One and PS4) are pushing digital purchases and with games that often reach 40-50gb in size the digis daily throttling makes them take days to download and the monthly throttling means you can only buy a game or two per month without having to really scale back elsewhere to avoid overage fees.

In an age where cloud storage is becoming the norm and where there are services pushing online movie streaming, game consoles pushing large digital purchases, and services like Bitcasa offering unlimited online storage or Amazon s3 offering extremely cheap online storage these excessive data caps are just absurd.

I had Comcast in a previous city and hated it (constant downtime), and never thought I'd see the day where I'm constantly calling Comcast and begging them to add service to my area. If you're a light user then Digis will probably be fine for you, especially if Comcast is not available in your area and CenturyLink is offering one of its pathetic options as your alternative. But if you're any kind of semi-power user of the internet then you will be thinking about Digis' aggressive data caps on a daily basis.

Comments:

Review by Moondogg See Profile

• Location: Alpine,Utah,UT
Good "Only ISP in our area"
Bad "I pay for 15mb, I receive >1mb"
Overall "Extremely spotty service/Poor customer service/throttling average users"

I have had Digis for almost a year and their service has been very poor from day one. If I had any other option for Internet, I would switch today. I pay for the highest plan, which is 15mb (their strategic pricing means there is only $10 difference between their highest and lowest monthly plan), but my speeds are never anywhere near what I pay for. I run speed tests regularly and consistently get speeds LOWER THAN 1mb/s. I have called their support number dozens of times and their technicians go over the same script each time: "Power cycle your router and our internet switch. Run a speed test. I'll check some settings (5 minute wait). We'll send a technician out." It's the same routine every time. Ironically, my speeds will spike to around 7 or 8mb after calling them, which indicates they are throttling my connection and adjust their settings when I call to complain about their horrible service. There is no mention of bandwidth throttling or usage caps anywhere in their terms of service or contract, but a former employee told me they throttle bandwidth extensively and allocate bandwidth to other users. That would be fine if they were up front about it and if their users were at least able to get decent speeds in spite of their undisclosed throttling.

We had a technician out yesterday morning who didn't even inspect the equipment or cable on the roof and simply "adjusted some settings" by plugging his device into our receiver. Our last tech told us the cables on our roof were worn and would need to be replaced soon, which I mentioned, and he said "No. They should be fine. It looks like it was a 'settings issue'." Our speeds were around 12mb (highest EVER) for about 5 hours, then returned to their normal sub-par speeds of around 1 to 3mb. I get literally 1/15th of what I pay for.

The bottom line is if you have ANY other option for Internet service, don't even consider Digis. It's a second rate, garbage ISP (despite their "rave reviews" on their website and radio ads). They aren't honest with their customers and are unethical for charging people for a service they won't provide. We are average users: no massive downloads, occasionally stream movies or TV shows in the evening, check email, etc. and they still tamper with our connection and can't seem to fix the "settings issues" that keep our speeds down.

Stay away from Digis if you can.

Comments:

Review by Pandelerium See Profile

• Location: Roy,Weber,UT
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Horrible Company and Serice"
Overall "DO NOT USE"

I disconnected service to to instability of their network. They refuse to refund service fees.

I signed up for their highest speed internet service in Roy, which they claimed was for HD video streaming and heavy online game use. They told me I was using too much bandwidth and started "funneling" my internet. I looked through my contract and on their website, there is no mention of any type of bandwidth limits imposed. Then, their service started to drop out intermittently and get extremely slow. Finally, they sent out a technician, he told us that their antenna on their tower had been moved, and there was no longer a good line of sight to my antenna on my roof, and therefore we were "unserviceable". I subsequently called and disconnected my service and changed ISP's. They promised to come and get their equipment and send me a final bill. This was in August, 2013. by November, the equipment was still on my roof and I had been turned over to a collection company for the total cost of the equipment that they failed to pick up, for over $350.00. I called, pretty upset, they finally sent someone a week later to get the equipment. I called them to credit my account for the remaining $49.46 because of the horrible service I received the last month of service, they refused saying it was my fault for using too much bandwidth. First, there is NO bandwidth restriction in their contract, anywhere. Second, it is NOT my fault they relocated their antenna and made me un-serviceable.

I reported them to the Better Business Bureau, they never responded to the complaint.

Bottom line, DO NOT EVER USE THIS ISP, they lie to you and provide horrible service as soon as they see you as a problem. Find another ISP, even the "Big Boys" are far superior.

Comments:

Review by Holly See Profile

• Location: Tooele,Tooele,UT

My internet is slower than it has ever been, if I have more than one thing at a time going on everything freezes up. Everything takes forever to load and is a royal pain in the behind. Our internet service was way better when it was Beehive, I do believe I will be searching for other options.

Comments:

Review by seanh46 See Profile

• Location: Tooele,Tooele,UT
Good "glad i can still get fixed wireless for a decent price"
Bad "contract was sold to digis from beehive broadband"

I was a happy, loyal Wireless Beehive customer of over Eight years, but unfortunately in the name of progress?, Beehive Broadband sold all of our accounts to Digis. So far my service has remained the same, almost even a little better, but with change over of billing systems we ended up having to pay a double bill which was upsetting , especially considering they are running an installation special for new accounts to get one month free, I guess since we didn't have a choice to switch to Digis, we don't get the discount... nice!

• Location: Sandy,Salt Lake,UT

I have never had a more horrible experience. It was so awful, I've for the first time, actually sought out a forum where I could try and do anything to prevent future customers from the hassle I've endured. They are completely dishonest in shocking ways. I cancelled service after MONTHS of unreliable service at laughable speeds - IF i even had internet at all! I called multiple times with absolutely no fixes. FInally I cancelled service, just to be told a month later that I never cancelled. I spoke with customer service and multiple supervisors, told I would be credited - Only to get a call from a collection agency 5 MONTHS later! I called and they STILL wouldn't credit the account for $25 owed due to their mistake. So ridiculous. I can't believe what POOR internet service and POOR customer service they have! Please please look elsewhere when considering service - it's an unending nightmare with them.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Smithfield,Cache,UT
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Fast to Install"
Bad "Installation is the beginning of your problems"
Overall "Bad company to deal with"

Absolutely horrible on all counts! My service was constantly cutting out
and I was without phone service for months because they kept promising they
could see what the problem was, they were fixing it, they had sent a new box
in the mail, etc. Awful!!! Most dishonorable people hired as customer
service reps, pure lies. Anyway, finally cancelled in February. Am still get-
ting bills from them as of June. What is wrong with these people?!?

(review was emailed from domain usu.edu)

• Location: Payson,Utah,UT
Good "Not much. Shady practices changing service plans."
Bad "Poor Latency, Poor Bandwidth, unplanned outages, Poor weather no signal, They charge you when download cap is exceeded. SLOW"
Overall "Your better off getting DSL from Qwest."

ISP DIGIS

Location: Elk Ridge Utah, 84651
Rating on scale of 1-10 : 2

Service was ok up until the beginning 2012. Digis brought back their
bandwidth cap. I called to inquire about the emails I received for
exceeding the cap. The rep informed me Digis sent an email to customers
inquiring if they would prefer to have their bandwidth speeds throttled
with no cap or blazing fast downloads with a 150GB cap and an additional
charge of $2 for every 10GB's after that. According to Digis people wanted
blazing fast speeds. I can tell you I never received an email inquiring my
feelings. I can also tell you the bandwidth is far from blazing. On a
friday night my bandwidth test results are 570KB down and 1.18mb up, with a
latency of 97ms. Trying to buffer video on Youtube is painful. Digis is
slow and inconsistent. Your better off getting DSL through centurylink.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by jack_sprat See Profile

• Location: Woods Cross,Davis,UT
Good "A reasonable cost for the service they say they will provide"
Bad "They do not provide the service they sell yet continue to oversell thier product"
Overall "If I could find a similiar service for approximately the same cost I would drop them in a minute"

Signed up for thier service about a year and a half ago. In the begenning it worked fairly well. Then the service began to get worse and worse and worse. Thier policy concerning throttleing is simply off scale and unreasonable. Windows has an update, now you cannot get a page to load because they have throttled your account. Find a movie you like and it is free to download, bad Idea because they willl throttle you until it takes 2 minutes for a page to load. Thier throttleing policy is 10 years out of date, yet they continue to do it. But the worst was yet to come ! About 6 months into using thier service, I became interested in Netflix and signed up and paid 6 months in advance. First few movies were poor quality (due to speed of ISP) but managed to watch them. Over the first month of Netflix, my download speed went from 5 GBPS to 3 GBPS plus severe throttleing for all other services. Netflix began stuttering and finally became useless. Using Digis's own speed test I watched thier download speed go from 5.5 to .05 GBPS. During this sever loss of speed I contacted tech support some 6 times. Always got little help but lots of excuses for Digis tech support. It took 2 months of my service being less than 1 GBPS and they finally sent out a technitian. It was on a saturday as I recall and the tech was driveing a beat up 1970 something pickup with a ladder in the back. His ability to speak in the english language was limited and he finally got in his truck and drove off assureing me the receiver was properly alligned and working just great. When he drove off, I check my download speed and found it to be considerably less than dial-up speed that I had some 20 years ago. After repeaded calling and tech support assuring me that all was fine, I called them and told them I was getting another ISP. They then offered me a reduced monthly billing of $5.00 per month until thier tower updates were completed. I did get the lower billing for a couple months and then it went right back to $40.00 per month. In talking to one of thier technitians that came I found out that thier backhall was so loaded they were loosing customers at an alarming rate. They said the tower would be completed at the end of November 2011 and it was. They gave me a free month while they offloaded customers to the new tower. I could not get on the new tower beause there were trees in the way of the signal. The service improved over the next few weeks and then suddenly began to decline as they again oversold thier services. I have talked to several Digis customers in my area only to find out they are having the same problems. Even though it is a reasonable price, it still is not worth what you are paying for it. If you are considering an inexpensive ISP and have a phone line into your home, get a good dial up account from a good provider. It is a lot cheeper than Digis Wireless and actually about the same DL speed as you will get with Digis. Its the oldest game in the world, set a low price and then sell it to tons of folks being aware that some will hang around no matter how bad it gets. I am looking for another ISP around the same price but cannot seem to find another in the area. Here is yet another reason to not use Digis Wireless as your ISP. I owed a bill of $87.17 for the month of December 2011. Mid month I made a payment of $35.00 which is all I could afford because of Christmas. My account showed an $87.17 balance due even though I had made the partial payment. Today I had enough money to pay the remainder of the bill ($52.17) I went online and clicked make a payment and put in my debit card info and click make payment, only to find out the way they have it setup it took the entire $87.17 out of my account and not the $52.17. I called them and explained the mistake. The nasty little office person told me if I were to stop the $87.17 payment, they would charge me $20.00 for a bad check charge. I explained that it was an online payment and she said "we really don't care, it a bad check" ............ Do you really want to do business with a company like Digis???????? DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU ----- STAY AWAY FROM DIGIS WIRELESS Also known as JAB Wireless. This is thier complete address

DIGIS

782 S AUTOMALL DR STE C AM FORK,UT 84003-2692

Comments:

Review by motoxer913 See Profile

• Location: Ogden,Weber,UT
Good "consistent 14+Mbs, 10ms ping, 3Mbs upload, reliable, good price"
Bad "must mount sat type dish to roof"
Overall "Amazing speeds and reliability for the money"

I tried wireless providers in the past and had nothing but problems. Digis with their new 15Mbs/3Mbs plan has far exceeded my expectations of what wireless is capable of. My speeds are consistent with what I pay for and the ping times are faster than both DSL and Comcast I previously had. I am a very heavy "geek" internet user, my wife works for fortune 500 company from home office connected to VPN every day, netflix streaming, xbox gamer, large downloads, etc etc. I have had Digis for about 4 months now and I am 100% happy with them. Comcast is still my favorite ISP, but I cannot get them in my new home...Digis so far has been just as good as Comcast and in some ways (ping, cost) better.