Digis page on DSLReports

Review by ryan83 See Profile

• Location: Alpine,Utah,UT
Good "Better than dial-up"
Bad "Everything else - no 24/7 CS, oversubscribed towers, "
Overall "It's the ISP of last resort"

I've had Digis in 3 locations over the year. I've pulled it at each site as soon as I found an alternative.

A few words about Digis.

-- They use different definitions for speed than anyone else. Their so-called 7-megabit service is 5 megabits down, 2 megabits up. Nobody else measures speed this way. A T1, for example, is 1.5-megabit down/1.5 megabit up. Calling it a '3' megabit pipe would get you laughed at.

-- They oversubscribe their towers by incredibly wide margins. Worse, they use their consumer-facing towers for backhaul as well -- so Internet congestion a few towns over gets felt by you if your tower happens to be a link in the chain back to core infrastructure.

-- Their installers, while reasonably decent people, do not pay close attention to detail.

When I lived in Springville, my options were Digis, Comcast, or CL. Comcast was quite pricey. CL, on paper, didn't look very fast. So, I went with Digis. This house used to have Airswitch (a Springville ISP) that offered 10 megabit speeds, until Airswitch got killed off due to municipal ineptitude.

Digis speeds were highly variable. It'd be a full 4.5 megabits one day, then 2 megabits the next. Calling tech support was fruitless. Their solutions boiled down to rebooting the router, power cycling the equipment, and them saying they'll put a ticket in.

They changed their service plans at least 3 times over the years. At one point, they had daily throttling -- more than 2GB/day, and your speeds got cut to 128kbps down/32k up. Then, they switched over to a monthly-throttling style plan. Then they went to a no-throttle plan where overages were charged for excessive use. I suppose that wouldn't be bad, if there was any way to set up alerts to indicate when you're about to trigger an overage. There isn't.

A couple years ago, speeds were dropping and packets were dropping. Two techs came out at different times. They concluded that a tree was blocking the signal. I asked to cancel at that point, finally fed up with it.

I've switched to CenturyLink, which has been very stable for me. It took 7 months for me to get my refund check from Digis for my last 6 weeks' service while they dithered trying to find out why the signal was so poor.

Before I switched, when my credit card expired, I logged in to update it. I couldn't log in, so I called customer service. They said they had no records for that account, despite me having receipts in my inbox. They acquire so many WISPs here in Utah that they can't keep good track of their own customers.

About halfway through the above time, I turned my Springville location into a rental and moved to Alpine. Tragically, Digis was the only ISP available. No Comcast, no CenturyLink.

They hooked me up to a very oversubscribed tower. I logged ping times and transfer times. Averaged less than a megabit/second. One of the other joys in dealing with Digis is that:
A) Customer support is a business-hours only affair; and
B) Tech support and customer support don't talk to each other. Have an outage? First, you call tech support and reboot your router. Then, you can call customer support, wait on hold, and try to get a credit for it.

They fiddled with things for months until they finally got a new tower put up to relieve some of the congestion.

This whole time, I'm using a Cisco 3620 as my router. There are some of these things that have been running for a decade or longer without a reboot. I'd humor Digis when they asked me to reboot, but it was clear the problem wasn't on my end.

Right up until a lightning storm blew up my router. You see, when they hook the antenna up, tbey're supposed to ground it. There's an Ethernet cable going right from the antenna to their power-over-ethernet injector, and from there to a router. In any case, lightning hit the antenna, wasn't arrested, and blew up both the line card on my router and their PoE injector. No Internet. I went out and got another Cisco (upgraded to an 1800 series) and a lightning arrestor for it.

I was paying for a static IP address, which also got changed during one of their acquisitions and left me scrambling to sort it out until I chatted with tech support, who told me what they'd done and apologized for not informing me. "Not a lot of people use static IP's" was their excuse upon telling me they just create DHCP reservations for folks that use static IP's, and they'd changed mine.

If you have an alternative, take it. CL may not be as fast on paper, but it's a lot more stable. Comcast gets a lot of flak, but they know how to run highly-available infrastructure. Digis survives only because it's the ISP you use when there's nothing else available.

Comments:

Review by roderickng See Profile

• Location: Eagle Mountain,Utah,UT
Good "Reasonably Stable Enough"
Bad "Tech Support"
Overall "Neutral At Best"

I have used wireless Internet for 5 yrs, first with Rapidwave, then Digis bought out Rapidwave.

Throughout the service, there were intermittent connectivity issues, ranging from slow to outright no connection. Sometime weekly, sometime once a month, sometime daily. Most events lasted only a few minutes, only ONCE was the cause my home connection and a few times the house's roof antenna required minor aiming adjustment to the tower. Every other time, it was because of something going on the tower, from maintenance to other software related issues that customers usually oblivious about. I do not constantly stream videos/music, only occasionally watch Amazon Prime low res TV shows. Shortly after Digis bought out Rapidwave, with the last connectivity event, the tech had to re-align the roof antenna to a new and closer tower and I hoped and thought that the closer tower would be the end of connectivity issues.

Guess I was wrong.

With the latest connectivity issue, my Chrome web browser began to display the 'Resolving host...' message more often and longer than before. I have a Linux pc, so I began 'ping' testing to google.com to see. The ping result lines took longer to appear than normal. Sometimes there were some percentages of packet loss and sometimes there were none. Then all of a sudden, no connection at all. The Chrome web browser as showing a constant 'Resolving host...' message and eventually timed out.

I went thru the usual troubleshooting steps: reboot router and pc. But no joy. So I called tech support and explained what happened. I worked with the tech and bypassed the router. I got Internet connection with the antenna straight to the pc. Then I hooked up router 2 and received slow Internet connection with the Chrome web browser giving that 'Resolving host...' message. Both routers, 1 and 2, are the stable Linksys WRT54 series. So now it is possible that router-1 is bad. But I was still curious about that persistent 'Resolving host...' web browser message. CNN and other news websites that have a lot of graphics and media would take a long time to fully load and that 'Resolving host...' message was constant. Then I used router-3, a newer Linksys WRT54G2, and still have slow connectivity.

I have three problem routers ? If I use no router at all, which is a security risk, web sites would load quickly, so it still possible that I have three bad routers.

I called tech support, 3rd time, and explained what I found and asked if he could check something -- anything -- on the tower side, because I find it difficult to accept that three routers are bad. He said that if I have fast connectivity with no routers, and slow connectivity with a router, then it is possible that all three routers are indeed bad, or that the ethernet cable itself is bad. I asked that if I used five cables and still have slow connection -- inline with a router -- that I would have five bad cables ? He said 'Yes'.

So now it is possible that I have three bad routers and many bad cables. I told the tech that I would do what he said: swap out cables.

Oddly enough, after the final phone call, my connection went back to its usual speed, with the original cable and an old Linksys WRT54 router hooked up. I went to Google News, OSNews, EETimes, CNN, PBS, and anywhere that have a lot of media on the website and everything loaded fast. All with the original cable and an old Linksys WRT54 router that have been in used for nearly 10 yrs. There were no 'Resolving host...' messages, just the usual 'Waiting for...' messages after the host was quickly contacted.

Somehow the old Linksys router and even older cable fixed themselves. Fracking magical.

To any Digis support tech that may read this post: I was an avionics tech in the USAF on the F-111 and F-16. I know how to debrief pilots, from fresh out of flight training to combat experienced, to know how to assess any issue they found. I do not take customers' experience lightly, and yes, each crew is a customer and the jets I fixed are the products for them to use. The longer a customer have been with the product, the more familiar he will be with how it should operate, so when a customer calls for help, it is because they notice something out of the ordinary in usage for that product. If someone told you that he used three routers to troubleshoot the problem, you might want to consider the possibility that he has a little bit more in-depth technical proficiency with his hardware than usual. As of now, I am running with the old router and old cable that your support team said are bad.

Comments:
roderickng

join:2009-08-17
·Digis

Digis and Resolving Host Message

Update on my connectivity issue...

I got good connectivity for about 6 hrs, then my browser started giving that 'Resolving host...' message again. That goes on intermittently for another hr before connection stabilized. I started searching online for this issue and there are a lot of ISP related returns about DNS caching. And Digis support told me that I have 3 bad routers, a potentially bad pc, and possibly several bad cables.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Digis and Resolving Host Message

Ever think about your router possibly interfering with the wireless service which would explain why things work properly with your router disconnected? Also, make sure you aren't connected by hardware and wireless to the router at the same time. If the service works without issue without a router there is obviously an issue being caused by the router. This may not indicated a bad router but simply a configuration issue. If you think you have DNS issues just statically set your DNS to something else. Google, OpenDNS, whatever
roderickng

join:2009-08-17
·Digis

Re: Digis and Resolving Host Message

Three bad routers ? The 3rd router that I used to troubleshoot, Linksys WRT54G2, still have the default admin/admin user/password setting.

Anyway, this problem is a repeat except that when Rapidwave owned and ran the service, their techs knew that the problem lies with the tower's relay processes. Probably each tower have its own DNS server. I do not know the details but there are many online comments about ISP related DNS server issues. My desk PC connects to the router via hard line, not wireless. It does not have the wireless capability.

The Rapidwave techs seems to know about the tower's DNS and MAC address processes because they never had me bypass my router. They just did something to the tower and fixed the connectivity issue. The Digis techs seems to be more focused on how to blame the long time customer.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Digis and Resolving Host Message

So set your DNS manually and be done with it.

Review by Vcize3 See Profile

• Location: Ogden,Weber,UT
Good "Fairly reliable, good enough to game on, good alternative to some other local options"
Bad "Capped/throttled both daily AND monthly"
Overall "Much better than the only other alternative in my area, which was 1.5mbps CenturyLink, but not worth choosing over Comcast"

·EPB Fiber Optics
For some reason, I live on the one street in my area that does not offer Comcast. My only real alternative to Digis is CenturyLink, which offers an appalling and insulting 1.5mpbs here. Digis offers a much more reasonable 12mbps/3mbps option, with some major catches.

Before I get into those catches, I will relay the good news. Digis works by running a fiber connection to a local antenna, then broadcasting that signal over the air to an antenna they install on your house. That antenna looks like your basic DirecTv satellite dish and is free to install with a 2 year contract (ugh). I'm a power user, and one of my main concerns with the paultry internet options in my area was being able to game online (PS3, XBox 360, XB1, etc). I can confirm that gaming through my digis connection is in fact reasonable. You'll always be in the bottom half of the pings in the room you're in, but there won't be a noticeable amount of lag most times. It's not good for gaming, but it's good enough, which is the best I could hope for.

Additionally, the service has been quite reliable. Downtime has been minimal in the ~6 months that I've had the service, and the area's snow-storms haven't knocked out the signal on the antenna like they do on the DirecTv dish.

Now, on to the bad. Aside from the 2-year contract (ugh) and somewhat slows speeds for the price (12down/3up for the same price as Comcast offers 50down/10up) this mainly falls into the data capping territory. Digis caps by both the day AND the month, in the following manner.

Daily capping:

-At zero usage for the day, you get 12down/3up on their most expensive plan

-Once you've used a meager 500mb (one HD netflix 20 minute show, or one medium download, etc) you're throttled down to 7down/2up

-Once you've used 6gb for the day, you're further throttled down to 4down/1.5up

If you have cheaper plans then the throttling is more aggressive.

On top of that daily capping, there is also a monthly cap of 250gb. Even among data caps, this is a pretty low/aggressive one. After that you will have to pay a pretty hefty fine for each GB you go over.

As mentioned above, I'm a power user and as such am fighting with this cap most months. I also straight up cannot do many things that I would like to. I'm a photographer and cannot backup my photos online in the cloud because I shoot in raw and I would exceed my cap every month. Additionally, modern game consoles (Xbox One and PS4) are pushing digital purchases and with games that often reach 40-50gb in size the digis daily throttling makes them take days to download and the monthly throttling means you can only buy a game or two per month without having to really scale back elsewhere to avoid overage fees.

In an age where cloud storage is becoming the norm and where there are services pushing online movie streaming, game consoles pushing large digital purchases, and services like Bitcasa offering unlimited online storage or Amazon s3 offering extremely cheap online storage these excessive data caps are just absurd.

I had Comcast in a previous city and hated it (constant downtime), and never thought I'd see the day where I'm constantly calling Comcast and begging them to add service to my area. If you're a light user then Digis will probably be fine for you, especially if Comcast is not available in your area and CenturyLink is offering one of its pathetic options as your alternative. But if you're any kind of semi-power user of the internet then you will be thinking about Digis' aggressive data caps on a daily basis.

Comments:

Review by Moondogg See Profile

• Location: Alpine,Utah,UT
Good "Only ISP in our area"
Bad "I pay for 15mb, I receive >1mb"
Overall "Extremely spotty service/Poor customer service/throttling average users"

I have had Digis for almost a year and their service has been very poor from day one. If I had any other option for Internet, I would switch today. I pay for the highest plan, which is 15mb (their strategic pricing means there is only $10 difference between their highest and lowest monthly plan), but my speeds are never anywhere near what I pay for. I run speed tests regularly and consistently get speeds LOWER THAN 1mb/s. I have called their support number dozens of times and their technicians go over the same script each time: "Power cycle your router and our internet switch. Run a speed test. I'll check some settings (5 minute wait). We'll send a technician out." It's the same routine every time. Ironically, my speeds will spike to around 7 or 8mb after calling them, which indicates they are throttling my connection and adjust their settings when I call to complain about their horrible service. There is no mention of bandwidth throttling or usage caps anywhere in their terms of service or contract, but a former employee told me they throttle bandwidth extensively and allocate bandwidth to other users. That would be fine if they were up front about it and if their users were at least able to get decent speeds in spite of their undisclosed throttling.

We had a technician out yesterday morning who didn't even inspect the equipment or cable on the roof and simply "adjusted some settings" by plugging his device into our receiver. Our last tech told us the cables on our roof were worn and would need to be replaced soon, which I mentioned, and he said "No. They should be fine. It looks like it was a 'settings issue'." Our speeds were around 12mb (highest EVER) for about 5 hours, then returned to their normal sub-par speeds of around 1 to 3mb. I get literally 1/15th of what I pay for.

The bottom line is if you have ANY other option for Internet service, don't even consider Digis. It's a second rate, garbage ISP (despite their "rave reviews" on their website and radio ads). They aren't honest with their customers and are unethical for charging people for a service they won't provide. We are average users: no massive downloads, occasionally stream movies or TV shows in the evening, check email, etc. and they still tamper with our connection and can't seem to fix the "settings issues" that keep our speeds down.

Stay away from Digis if you can.

Comments:

Review by Pandelerium See Profile

• Location: Roy,Weber,UT
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Horrible Company and Serice"
Overall "DO NOT USE"

I disconnected service to to instability of their network. They refuse to refund service fees.

I signed up for their highest speed internet service in Roy, which they claimed was for HD video streaming and heavy online game use. They told me I was using too much bandwidth and started "funneling" my internet. I looked through my contract and on their website, there is no mention of any type of bandwidth limits imposed. Then, their service started to drop out intermittently and get extremely slow. Finally, they sent out a technician, he told us that their antenna on their tower had been moved, and there was no longer a good line of sight to my antenna on my roof, and therefore we were "unserviceable". I subsequently called and disconnected my service and changed ISP's. They promised to come and get their equipment and send me a final bill. This was in August, 2013. by November, the equipment was still on my roof and I had been turned over to a collection company for the total cost of the equipment that they failed to pick up, for over $350.00. I called, pretty upset, they finally sent someone a week later to get the equipment. I called them to credit my account for the remaining $49.46 because of the horrible service I received the last month of service, they refused saying it was my fault for using too much bandwidth. First, there is NO bandwidth restriction in their contract, anywhere. Second, it is NOT my fault they relocated their antenna and made me un-serviceable.

I reported them to the Better Business Bureau, they never responded to the complaint.

Bottom line, DO NOT EVER USE THIS ISP, they lie to you and provide horrible service as soon as they see you as a problem. Find another ISP, even the "Big Boys" are far superior.

Comments:

Review by Holly See Profile

• Location: Tooele,Tooele,UT

My internet is slower than it has ever been, if I have more than one thing at a time going on everything freezes up. Everything takes forever to load and is a royal pain in the behind. Our internet service was way better when it was Beehive, I do believe I will be searching for other options.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by seanh46 See Profile

• Location: Tooele,Tooele,UT
Good "glad i can still get fixed wireless for a decent price"
Bad "contract was sold to digis from beehive broadband"

I was a happy, loyal Wireless Beehive customer of over Eight years, but unfortunately in the name of progress?, Beehive Broadband sold all of our accounts to Digis. So far my service has remained the same, almost even a little better, but with change over of billing systems we ended up having to pay a double bill which was upsetting , especially considering they are running an installation special for new accounts to get one month free, I guess since we didn't have a choice to switch to Digis, we don't get the discount... nice!

member for 10.8 years, 2109 visits, last login: 117 days ago
updated 1 year ago

• Location: Sandy,Salt Lake,UT

I have never had a more horrible experience. It was so awful, I've for the first time, actually sought out a forum where I could try and do anything to prevent future customers from the hassle I've endured. They are completely dishonest in shocking ways. I cancelled service after MONTHS of unreliable service at laughable speeds - IF i even had internet at all! I called multiple times with absolutely no fixes. FInally I cancelled service, just to be told a month later that I never cancelled. I spoke with customer service and multiple supervisors, told I would be credited - Only to get a call from a collection agency 5 MONTHS later! I called and they STILL wouldn't credit the account for $25 owed due to their mistake. So ridiculous. I can't believe what POOR internet service and POOR customer service they have! Please please look elsewhere when considering service - it's an unending nightmare with them.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Smithfield,Cache,UT
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Fast to Install"
Bad "Installation is the beginning of your problems"
Overall "Bad company to deal with"

Absolutely horrible on all counts! My service was constantly cutting out
and I was without phone service for months because they kept promising they
could see what the problem was, they were fixing it, they had sent a new box
in the mail, etc. Awful!!! Most dishonorable people hired as customer
service reps, pure lies. Anyway, finally cancelled in February. Am still get-
ting bills from them as of June. What is wrong with these people?!?

(review was emailed from domain usu.edu)

• Location: Payson,Utah,UT
Good "Not much. Shady practices changing service plans."
Bad "Poor Latency, Poor Bandwidth, unplanned outages, Poor weather no signal, They charge you when download cap is exceeded. SLOW"
Overall "Your better off getting DSL from Qwest."

ISP DIGIS

Location: Elk Ridge Utah, 84651
Rating on scale of 1-10 : 2

Service was ok up until the beginning 2012. Digis brought back their
bandwidth cap. I called to inquire about the emails I received for
exceeding the cap. The rep informed me Digis sent an email to customers
inquiring if they would prefer to have their bandwidth speeds throttled
with no cap or blazing fast downloads with a 150GB cap and an additional
charge of $2 for every 10GB's after that. According to Digis people wanted
blazing fast speeds. I can tell you I never received an email inquiring my
feelings. I can also tell you the bandwidth is far from blazing. On a
friday night my bandwidth test results are 570KB down and 1.18mb up, with a
latency of 97ms. Trying to buffer video on Youtube is painful. Digis is
slow and inconsistent. Your better off getting DSL through centurylink.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)