Digis page on DSLReports

Review by diegowarrior See Profile

• Location: Eagle Mountain,Utah,UT
Good "Friendly support, low price"
Bad "low speed, not as advertised, speed cap with throttling"

I've had Digis.net for about 4 months, 7 mb connection (5 down 2 up), but I nearly never had that speed.

I complained a couple of times and the same day the speed went up, but I don't want to have to call them almost every day to get the speed increased.

After like 1 month the connection died so I had to call them and they sent someone I think no more than 2 days later who changed the radio, he said it had died, I didn't have to pay for anything and they apologized, but I still didn't have service for those days...

The speed is not as they advertise it, I check my speed at www.speedtest.net very often, you can see some of the history of the results and judge by yourselves, I would put it all, but I don't know how:

»www.speedtest.net/result/7130150 ··· 5053.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/7157141 ··· 4117.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/6971467 ··· 6773.png

There was once that I downloaded one dvd and they cut my speed really bad, I called them and they said I had used the maximum bandwidth but that at midnight it was going to go back to normal. It went back to normal but still was slow, and I like to stream TV at night from hulu, that's why I got the 5 mb down connection, but lately it has been very bad, I think is a shared connection because the speed is usually very slow at night and faster in the mornings. The average speed is about 1 mb down, so I'm tired of having to watch how much do I use the internet and to pay for what I am not getting, so I'm switching companies, I'm getting 12 mb from a different company, I'll review them when I'll have the service.

Good luck.

Comments:

Review by Smallfry7 See Profile

• Location: Payson,Utah,UT
Good "Static IPs! (finally)."
Bad "Throttling, Latency in Utah."
Overall "Years of problems."

My plan is the 7Mbps (5Mbps download, 2Mbps upload). I have been with Digis on the 7mbps plan for almost 3 years.

I have probably made 50 calls to Digis in the last year. Their tech support isn't great and being on hold with the same elevator music for 30 minutes each time I call is going to be the end of me. I have called them so many times because they have no way to usually fix the problems with my connection. They will submit a "ticket" to a department, and that ticket usually ends up at the bottom of a paper stack. When they say they will call you back, it usually never happens. They have told me that at least 10 times, and I have only gotten 2 calls back. At least 3 guys have stepped onto our roof and jiggled the antenna, but to no avail. Finally, they have sucked in their pride and taken the blame for the slow speeds. However, they only refunded us $10 dollars total for the problems. It is amazing, after 2 years of waiting, they have finally fixed most of the issues with our service.

Alright, here is my situation. Digis guarantees 2.2mbps download speed on their 7mbps service. (By the way, most of what I am going to tell you, you can not find on their site. Trust me, I looked.) Now while I used to get less then that for two years, the issue finally appears to have been resolved. My connection remains about 2-4mbps on download speed.

Next up, one of my biggest complaints: Throttling. The throttling policy is not stated in detail anywhere on the Digis website. For the 7mbps plan, one is throttled to a mere 1mbps download and .5 upload after only 1GB of transfer daily! And don't even dare to hit the 2GB mark in one day as you will be going so slow you'll wish you had dialup again. Digis also has another "no-throttling" plan, but it really isn't worth it, unless you are willing to pay an outrageous amount of money. They charge something like $5 a GB. The lower tier Digis service throttles after only 500mb. By my calculations, after 20 minutes of full usage on the higher tier service, you will be throttled.

Here is the thing... A Digis user can have up to 30GB a month without being throttled. Comcast users can go up to 250GB without any throttling nor caps. With Digis, one could never even hit 250GB because they would be hit with throttling so hard. They could only get up to 90GB, tops! Once again, trust me, I've tried. You can only squeeze 3GB out of Digis a day. Therefore... Digis is NOT unlimited Internet! Comcast, even with bandwidth caps, is so much more unlimited than Digis.

C'mon, Digis! The throttling is over the top!

UPDATE: Comcast does have throttling, but it is soft. In other words, it only de-prioritizes your internet, not lowers your speed. It will only effect anyone during congested network times (which are said to happen only rarely).

EDIT: With better speeds, I have changed the review with a more positive tone. I have changed the "connection reliability" and "tech support" to 3/5. If I continue to achieve great speeds even during peak hours, I will change "connection reliability" to 5/5.

While I used to have had some bad latency in the past, > 1000ms, I am hoping that it stays in the past. Latency to California is now about 70ms. Jitter, or change in latency, is about 5ms. That isn't too bad. However, latency in the state of Utah is not so good. Most packets that go to Utah servers are sent through Denver, before coming back home.

EDIT (3/22/10): Latency is now terrible on all assigned IP addresses. They swapped providers when they got bought out by or bought out JAB Wireless and are now peering or buying from Qwest (in Denver!!) rather than Level3 (in SLC). Say hello to slow Google and any other traffic coming from the West Coast. Nearly all packets now travel though Denver now.

My internet has been off and on for the past 6 days, mostly off. One tech says that it is "unknown interference." Another states that it is "military interference." I would be willing to doubt that. The FCC is all for WISPs. Has anyone seen the National Broadband Plan lately? It has been said that this is effecting "most of the towers." Ouch. I would advice that you stay away from Digis until further notice. I don't even know if I will be able to post this. My internet is currently on. I'm crossing my fingers.

By the way, for quick and easy information go to »twitter.com/digisnet - Never mind. They must have fired the person in charge of twitter. It hasn't been updated for months now.

EDIT (4/2/2010): Digis decided to start being amazing again. Near perfect speeds, and really low last mile latency. Keep this up Digis, and your connection reliability rating will go to 80%. I think that tech support was able to solve some issues, but only after I held on the phone for 50 minutes.

Comments:

Review by dznutz1977 See Profile

• Location: Riverton,Salt Lake,UT
Good "None"
Bad "Poor Cust Service"
Overall "Not Worth Having"

Order Took About 1 Week To Install. And the problems began as soon as the installer left.

I began having extreme slow speed issues With the connection running running slightly faster than a old school 56k modem!

First thing i did was to call Digis and after about 45 minutes of hold time i spoke with someone and found that the antenna alignment was incorrect he then switched me to a different tower and things got somewhat better.

Through the several months that i had the connection i experienced multiple downtimes. some lasting 15 minutes and some lasting the majority of the day.

They call this unlimited service but enable what they call "Speed Protection Throttling" On All connections. And i am OK with this but the limits are extremely low 1-1.5 gig daily and 60gigs per month thats just way to low when i cant even get all of the necessary updates, drivers, and service packs for a fresh install. now when it goes into throttling mode it is so slow that it would take 2-3 minutes just to open a web page. Now this "Speed Protection Throttling" is suppose to reset at around midnight every night but there were a couple occasions that i had to call and complain to get it to reset because it didn't do it automatically.

And Finally i called to cancel my service because i decided to use Comcast and they tell me its going to be a month before they can come retrieve there equipment off the roof OK no big deal i don't care how long it sits there so now its been about 4 weeks since i canceled And they decided they were going to bill my credit card for another month of service $40.29 so another 2 phone calls to Digis 5 days later the money was refunded to my account.

So do yourself a favor and avoid Digis!

member for 12.1 years, 1920 visits, last login: 4.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by ComputerGURU02 See Profile

• Location: Pleasant Grove,Utah,UT
Good "Good Price and good speeds, No Contracts,"
Bad "Not open 24 hours, no 10 Mbps plans"
Overall "Digis is a good option if you are tired of feeding the pig!"

Digis is a WISP who actually delivers a high-quality product. As far as my experience is concerned, I think my speeds are great, my upload especially. I have their 7 Mbps plan (5 Mbps down/2 Mbps up) and i typically see between 2-3 Mbps down and around 1 Mbps upload. I was pretty skeptical about how it would perform being wireless and all, but surprisingly it has been even more reliable than my old comcast.

I considered several options for broadband but chose Digis because they are local and upfront about expectations, charges etc. I also liked the fact that they didn't have any contracts. I check my connections regularly and my latency is always low (between 45 ms - 80 ms) and my connection is really solid. I have recommended Digis to several people and will continue to do so because they have been so outstanding.

CON: The only con I have for Digis is their lack of 24-hour support. I guess for 99% of their users it's not a big deal, but moving forward that is something they should consider. Also, if they offered plans around 10 Mbps than I would be even more thrilled.

So, if anyone at Digis actually reads this just know you are doing a great job. Continue to give me as you put it, "the fastest broadband connection for the money." Nice.

Good "Cheep"
Bad "Bad connection. Bad service. Stupid policies."
Overall "Avoid digis.net's service."

After 6 years, I've finally terminated my agreement with Digis.net. For
the longest time, they were he only game in town and their service was
decent. I even referred two other people to them. Now, there are
other options in my area and with Digis's declining quality of service
and support, I finally made the switch.

My issues with Digis were:
1. Excruciatingly slow connection.
2. Aggressive bandwidth throttling.
3. Unreliable connection.
4. Sometimes unreasonable customer service and corporate policies.
5. Higher than average latency (80ms vs. 35ms from ComCast)
6. Webmail access over HTTP only. No HTTPS.

I won't bore you with technical details about my service. I will say
that it felt a lot like dial up a lot of the time. By the end, it
felt like we didn't really have internet. We just didn't bother
trying to use it.

To give you an idea of some of the oddities with their policies and
customer service, allow me to relate my cancellation story. I
canceled at the beginning of this month. They will not leave my
service active for the remainder of this billing cycle (which I've
already paid for). They will not refund a prorated amount equal to
the remainder of this billing cycle. So I paid for 30 days of service
that I can't use. They will not bend on this policy and I feel like
I'm being robbed.

Another silly policy is their bandwidth throttling. I offered to pay
for an upgraded account even though I can't get line-of-sight with a
faster access point. I just wanted the looser bandwidth throttling
that comes with an upgraded account and didn't mind the lowly 2MB
bandwidth. They wouldn't allow this arrangement.

I've only been with our new ISP for a matter of hours. It's like
going from dialup to broadband all over again.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Good "Cheep."
Bad "Very slow."
Overall "It's cheep, slow, and only moderately reliable."

Allow me to summarize my review for those of you who are in a hurry:
Years ago, digis rocked. Now they suck. They are bandwidth Nazis.

I used to love Digis. 5 or 6 years ago (2003) when we first signed up
they were a newer company and eager to please. They had their problems
but the speed was pretty good and the customer service was great. I
even recommended them to a few friends.

Fast-forward to now (2008). Their customer service is hit and miss.
Their service is getting slower by the month. (I'm not exaggerating.)
Their throttling is getting more aggressive. At first I thought it was
just growing pains, but the problems persist and continue to worsen.

At this point, I warn friends and coworkers to avoid Digis.

Allow me to expand on my saga a little. I'm in an area where Digis is
my only option. (Utopia skipped out house when they installed in our
neighborhood.) I tried to upgrade to Digis's premium service because it
has fewer bandwidth restrictions and looser caps, but I don't have line
of site for the higher speed access points. I offered to pay for the
premium service just so I could get the looser bandwidth caps on my
current access point, but they wouldn't allow it.

The plan I'm on currently has a monthly cap of 18 GB total. If I hit
that cap, I'm throttled to 256 kb down and 128 kb up.

The daily caps are as follows:
(Bandwidth usage -> down kb/up kb)
256 MB -> 1024/512
500 MB -> 512/256
1 GB -> 256/128

It's also very very important to mention that these are burst rates.
For sustained traffic, you'll see numbers much smaller than this. In
fact, you're lucky to get these speeds at all. It feels more like ISDN
most of the time.

In my case, I'm lucky to pull down 20 to 25 Kbps on a sustained
transfer. If I do use that kind of bandwidth, everything else halts.
No web browsing. Contrast this to a year ago when I could pull down 40
Kbps and higher without trying too hard. (I know... 40 Kbps isn't that
great.) It's just wacky. They keep getting slower.

If we use the internet a bunch during the day or the first half of the
month, it's throttled down so much that it may as well be dialup.

I have coworkers with Digis that have family at home using the internet
during the day. By the time they get home, the internet is throttled so
much it's virtually unusable. For those with bundled phone packages,
even the phone service starts getting choppy at times.

In short, avoid Digis. If you have another option, go with it. Even if
it's Comcast or something...

(review was emailed from domain omniture.com)

Comments:

Review by tazz987 See Profile

• Location: Orem,Utah,UT
Good "Their service techs are so knowledgable and friendly"
Bad "The call center call center and accounting could be better"
Overall "They are a good company if you are an average user and want good speeds for a good price."

I've had Digis for over two years and I've found them to be a good company. Upgrading from wifi to Canopy was absolutely a good move as it greatly improved my speed and service. Calling the tech support can be a little time consuming and frustrating, but if you can get past some of the people that don't know anything, the rest are very reasonable and helpful.

I live in Orem, Ut and the service tech that came to my house has been very helpful. He fixed our line when our dog chewed through it and even set up our home wireless network for free, but I wouldn't expect that. (Geek Squad charges a $100 for that)

Their speeds are good, I typically get 4 down and 2 up. Comcast might be faster, but then you have to bundle everything (which I don't want) to get similar prices and then its less reliable and the tech support is far worse.

Throttling is frustrating if you are downloading a lot of movies or music. But once they explained that throttling was implemented to prevent a power user from slowing the entire network it made sense to me.

Overall, they are a good company and local so you can still talk to a human if you have any questions, but large enough that they have great coverage and you don't need to worry about them closing at any time.

Comments:

Review by Brentino See Profile

• Location: Layton,Davis,UT
Good "I've had Digis for over 2 years, fastest speed in my area, and truely unlimited bandwidth.(Promo# 19017)"
Bad "Customer Service is slow and the customer service representatives don't know a lot."
Overall "Digis beats Qwest DSL, Sprint, Xmission, and Vonage(vs Digis Voip) in everything!"

With Digis you don't need a contract. With Digis your installation is virtually free. With Digis, you do not have your upload speed restricted, in other words Digis upload speed even beats comcast. Many Local Businesses use Digis, and they have no complaints about the service. You also get 10 email accounts(7mbps plan), optional internet filtering, and much more. Through Digis you can get your internet and phone in the same package for less than the competitors. There are also business packages as well. If you would like to sign up call 1-888-DIGIS-88, and just tell them you were referred by customer 19017, thanks. It's $139.99 for the installation before a $40.00 canopy rebate(antenna), and a $99.00 90-day Customer Loyalty Mail-in Rebate, so basically free. The basic plan (1.5mbps download / 512kbps upload) is $34.95 a month($29.99 internet, $5.00 canopy rental) The Ultra Highspeed Internet Plan (5mbps download / 2mbps upload) is $40.00 a month($34.95 for internet, $5.00 canopy rental). You won't find that kind of upload speed with anyone else, unless you were to purchase a $300 a month T1 connection. If you would like to know more information go to »www.digis.net, and again if you sign up tell them you were referred by customer 19017, thanks. I have had Digis for over two years and it has never failed on me, I get 4000+ download and 1300+ upload during busy hours, they have very good voip that beats vonage, it is worth every penny. About the unlimited bandwidth, there are months where I have downloaded over 20 gigabytes and my speed was still what I was paying for.

member for 9.6 years, 86 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by jamman See Profile

• Location: Pleasant Grove,Utah,UT
Good "none"
Bad "Throttling, slow speeds and expensive for what is basicaly dial up!"
Overall "Don't get this service!!!!"

I had this service over 5 months now. at first i thought it was good, the speeds were decent but nothing like they had promised, i just figured it was because of the distance from the tower. so a month went by and i start getting really slow download speeds. I did a little digging on the internet and i found that they have this "throttling policy". what it is, is when you surpass your download limit they slow down your speed progressively accordingly to how far you have surpassed your monthly download limit! When i signed up for this they never mentioned anything about this. i like to download movies and play video games online so this was just not working, especially when at times i would get what dial-up speeds. not to mention that i share this service with everyone at my house and there are three computers in my home and all are being used extensively. Basically i hope to find a better isp before i leave this service so if anybody has any recommendations i would like to hear them. Thanks.

Comments:

Review by devconv See Profile

• Location: South Jordan,Salt Lake,UT
Good "They do answer their phone"
Bad "Connection slow, latency is high, this wireless technology is just BAD."
Overall "You'd be better off with DSL or Cable"

I have a 1000x1000kbps through my home owner's association since I live in a condo complex. I almost never get to this speed, Digis uses some wireless technology that in my experience is so much worse than DSL. The connection is very slow for streaming, latency is too high and fluctuates so much that gaming is almost impossible, and downloads are sometimes as bad as dial-up. It's really hard to find anything good to say about Digis. Maybe the only thing is that the customer service techs try to be helpful and have a good attitude, but the company, technology and service are so bad that I'm thinking of going back to DSL I would still have to pay for Digis through my condo fees, but I'm so fed up I might do that and try to lobby my condo association to get another ISP.

Skip Digis, you'd be better off with DSL or Cable.