Digis page on DSLReports

Review by dznutz1977 See Profile

• Location: Riverton,Salt Lake,UT
Good "None"
Bad "Poor Cust Service"
Overall "Not Worth Having"

Order Took About 1 Week To Install. And the problems began as soon as the installer left.

I began having extreme slow speed issues With the connection running running slightly faster than a old school 56k modem!

First thing i did was to call Digis and after about 45 minutes of hold time i spoke with someone and found that the antenna alignment was incorrect he then switched me to a different tower and things got somewhat better.

Through the several months that i had the connection i experienced multiple downtimes. some lasting 15 minutes and some lasting the majority of the day.

They call this unlimited service but enable what they call "Speed Protection Throttling" On All connections. And i am OK with this but the limits are extremely low 1-1.5 gig daily and 60gigs per month thats just way to low when i cant even get all of the necessary updates, drivers, and service packs for a fresh install. now when it goes into throttling mode it is so slow that it would take 2-3 minutes just to open a web page. Now this "Speed Protection Throttling" is suppose to reset at around midnight every night but there were a couple occasions that i had to call and complain to get it to reset because it didn't do it automatically.

And Finally i called to cancel my service because i decided to use Comcast and they tell me its going to be a month before they can come retrieve there equipment off the roof OK no big deal i don't care how long it sits there so now its been about 4 weeks since i canceled And they decided they were going to bill my credit card for another month of service $40.29 so another 2 phone calls to Digis 5 days later the money was refunded to my account.

So do yourself a favor and avoid Digis!

member for 11.6 years, 1920 visits, last login: 4 years ago

Comments:

Review by ComputerGURU02 See Profile

• Location: Pleasant Grove,Utah,UT
Good "Good Price and good speeds, No Contracts,"
Bad "Not open 24 hours, no 10 Mbps plans"
Overall "Digis is a good option if you are tired of feeding the pig!"

Digis is a WISP who actually delivers a high-quality product. As far as my experience is concerned, I think my speeds are great, my upload especially. I have their 7 Mbps plan (5 Mbps down/2 Mbps up) and i typically see between 2-3 Mbps down and around 1 Mbps upload. I was pretty skeptical about how it would perform being wireless and all, but surprisingly it has been even more reliable than my old comcast.

I considered several options for broadband but chose Digis because they are local and upfront about expectations, charges etc. I also liked the fact that they didn't have any contracts. I check my connections regularly and my latency is always low (between 45 ms - 80 ms) and my connection is really solid. I have recommended Digis to several people and will continue to do so because they have been so outstanding.

CON: The only con I have for Digis is their lack of 24-hour support. I guess for 99% of their users it's not a big deal, but moving forward that is something they should consider. Also, if they offered plans around 10 Mbps than I would be even more thrilled.

So, if anyone at Digis actually reads this just know you are doing a great job. Continue to give me as you put it, "the fastest broadband connection for the money." Nice.

Good "Cheep"
Bad "Bad connection. Bad service. Stupid policies."
Overall "Avoid digis.net's service."

After 6 years, I've finally terminated my agreement with Digis.net. For
the longest time, they were he only game in town and their service was
decent. I even referred two other people to them. Now, there are
other options in my area and with Digis's declining quality of service
and support, I finally made the switch.

My issues with Digis were:
1. Excruciatingly slow connection.
2. Aggressive bandwidth throttling.
3. Unreliable connection.
4. Sometimes unreasonable customer service and corporate policies.
5. Higher than average latency (80ms vs. 35ms from ComCast)
6. Webmail access over HTTP only. No HTTPS.

I won't bore you with technical details about my service. I will say
that it felt a lot like dial up a lot of the time. By the end, it
felt like we didn't really have internet. We just didn't bother
trying to use it.

To give you an idea of some of the oddities with their policies and
customer service, allow me to relate my cancellation story. I
canceled at the beginning of this month. They will not leave my
service active for the remainder of this billing cycle (which I've
already paid for). They will not refund a prorated amount equal to
the remainder of this billing cycle. So I paid for 30 days of service
that I can't use. They will not bend on this policy and I feel like
I'm being robbed.

Another silly policy is their bandwidth throttling. I offered to pay
for an upgraded account even though I can't get line-of-sight with a
faster access point. I just wanted the looser bandwidth throttling
that comes with an upgraded account and didn't mind the lowly 2MB
bandwidth. They wouldn't allow this arrangement.

I've only been with our new ISP for a matter of hours. It's like
going from dialup to broadband all over again.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Good "Cheep."
Bad "Very slow."
Overall "It's cheep, slow, and only moderately reliable."

Allow me to summarize my review for those of you who are in a hurry:
Years ago, digis rocked. Now they suck. They are bandwidth Nazis.

I used to love Digis. 5 or 6 years ago (2003) when we first signed up
they were a newer company and eager to please. They had their problems
but the speed was pretty good and the customer service was great. I
even recommended them to a few friends.

Fast-forward to now (2008). Their customer service is hit and miss.
Their service is getting slower by the month. (I'm not exaggerating.)
Their throttling is getting more aggressive. At first I thought it was
just growing pains, but the problems persist and continue to worsen.

At this point, I warn friends and coworkers to avoid Digis.

Allow me to expand on my saga a little. I'm in an area where Digis is
my only option. (Utopia skipped out house when they installed in our
neighborhood.) I tried to upgrade to Digis's premium service because it
has fewer bandwidth restrictions and looser caps, but I don't have line
of site for the higher speed access points. I offered to pay for the
premium service just so I could get the looser bandwidth caps on my
current access point, but they wouldn't allow it.

The plan I'm on currently has a monthly cap of 18 GB total. If I hit
that cap, I'm throttled to 256 kb down and 128 kb up.

The daily caps are as follows:
(Bandwidth usage -> down kb/up kb)
256 MB -> 1024/512
500 MB -> 512/256
1 GB -> 256/128

It's also very very important to mention that these are burst rates.
For sustained traffic, you'll see numbers much smaller than this. In
fact, you're lucky to get these speeds at all. It feels more like ISDN
most of the time.

In my case, I'm lucky to pull down 20 to 25 Kbps on a sustained
transfer. If I do use that kind of bandwidth, everything else halts.
No web browsing. Contrast this to a year ago when I could pull down 40
Kbps and higher without trying too hard. (I know... 40 Kbps isn't that
great.) It's just wacky. They keep getting slower.

If we use the internet a bunch during the day or the first half of the
month, it's throttled down so much that it may as well be dialup.

I have coworkers with Digis that have family at home using the internet
during the day. By the time they get home, the internet is throttled so
much it's virtually unusable. For those with bundled phone packages,
even the phone service starts getting choppy at times.

In short, avoid Digis. If you have another option, go with it. Even if
it's Comcast or something...

(review was emailed from domain omniture.com)

Comments:

Review by tazz987 See Profile

• Location: Orem,Utah,UT
Good "Their service techs are so knowledgable and friendly"
Bad "The call center call center and accounting could be better"
Overall "They are a good company if you are an average user and want good speeds for a good price."

I've had Digis for over two years and I've found them to be a good company. Upgrading from wifi to Canopy was absolutely a good move as it greatly improved my speed and service. Calling the tech support can be a little time consuming and frustrating, but if you can get past some of the people that don't know anything, the rest are very reasonable and helpful.

I live in Orem, Ut and the service tech that came to my house has been very helpful. He fixed our line when our dog chewed through it and even set up our home wireless network for free, but I wouldn't expect that. (Geek Squad charges a $100 for that)

Their speeds are good, I typically get 4 down and 2 up. Comcast might be faster, but then you have to bundle everything (which I don't want) to get similar prices and then its less reliable and the tech support is far worse.

Throttling is frustrating if you are downloading a lot of movies or music. But once they explained that throttling was implemented to prevent a power user from slowing the entire network it made sense to me.

Overall, they are a good company and local so you can still talk to a human if you have any questions, but large enough that they have great coverage and you don't need to worry about them closing at any time.

Comments:

Review by Brentino See Profile

• Location: Layton,Davis,UT
Good "I've had Digis for over 2 years, fastest speed in my area, and truely unlimited bandwidth.(Promo# 19017)"
Bad "Customer Service is slow and the customer service representatives don't know a lot."
Overall "Digis beats Qwest DSL, Sprint, Xmission, and Vonage(vs Digis Voip) in everything!"

With Digis you don't need a contract. With Digis your installation is virtually free. With Digis, you do not have your upload speed restricted, in other words Digis upload speed even beats comcast. Many Local Businesses use Digis, and they have no complaints about the service. You also get 10 email accounts(7mbps plan), optional internet filtering, and much more. Through Digis you can get your internet and phone in the same package for less than the competitors. There are also business packages as well. If you would like to sign up call 1-888-DIGIS-88, and just tell them you were referred by customer 19017, thanks. It's $139.99 for the installation before a $40.00 canopy rebate(antenna), and a $99.00 90-day Customer Loyalty Mail-in Rebate, so basically free. The basic plan (1.5mbps download / 512kbps upload) is $34.95 a month($29.99 internet, $5.00 canopy rental) The Ultra Highspeed Internet Plan (5mbps download / 2mbps upload) is $40.00 a month($34.95 for internet, $5.00 canopy rental). You won't find that kind of upload speed with anyone else, unless you were to purchase a $300 a month T1 connection. If you would like to know more information go to »www.digis.net, and again if you sign up tell them you were referred by customer 19017, thanks. I have had Digis for over two years and it has never failed on me, I get 4000+ download and 1300+ upload during busy hours, they have very good voip that beats vonage, it is worth every penny. About the unlimited bandwidth, there are months where I have downloaded over 20 gigabytes and my speed was still what I was paying for.

Comments:

Review by jamman See Profile

• Location: Pleasant Grove,Utah,UT
Good "none"
Bad "Throttling, slow speeds and expensive for what is basicaly dial up!"
Overall "Don't get this service!!!!"

I had this service over 5 months now. at first i thought it was good, the speeds were decent but nothing like they had promised, i just figured it was because of the distance from the tower. so a month went by and i start getting really slow download speeds. I did a little digging on the internet and i found that they have this "throttling policy". what it is, is when you surpass your download limit they slow down your speed progressively accordingly to how far you have surpassed your monthly download limit! When i signed up for this they never mentioned anything about this. i like to download movies and play video games online so this was just not working, especially when at times i would get what dial-up speeds. not to mention that i share this service with everyone at my house and there are three computers in my home and all are being used extensively. Basically i hope to find a better isp before i leave this service so if anybody has any recommendations i would like to hear them. Thanks.

Comments:

Review by devconv See Profile

• Location: South Jordan,Salt Lake,UT
Good "They do answer their phone"
Bad "Connection slow, latency is high, this wireless technology is just BAD."
Overall "You'd be better off with DSL or Cable"

I have a 1000x1000kbps through my home owner's association since I live in a condo complex. I almost never get to this speed, Digis uses some wireless technology that in my experience is so much worse than DSL. The connection is very slow for streaming, latency is too high and fluctuates so much that gaming is almost impossible, and downloads are sometimes as bad as dial-up. It's really hard to find anything good to say about Digis. Maybe the only thing is that the customer service techs try to be helpful and have a good attitude, but the company, technology and service are so bad that I'm thinking of going back to DSL I would still have to pay for Digis through my condo fees, but I'm so fed up I might do that and try to lobby my condo association to get another ISP.

Skip Digis, you'd be better off with DSL or Cable.

Comments:

Review by Beau6183 See Profile

• Location: Eagle Mountain,Utah,UT
Good "Price, lowest (not low by any means) setup fee for wireless in Eagle Mountain"
Bad "Oversaturated network, inconsistant speeds, REALLY low bandwidth cap (3gb I think), throttling, badd customer service, lies"
Overall "You'd be better off with dial-up. Seriously."

I've had Digis for a little over a year now. I originally went with them because they had the lowest of all WISPs in the valley, and had a 100% rebate over a few months. At the time RapidWave was too steep with the setup fee, and I'd heard nothing but nightmares about the city-provided DSL. I did hear a little about some other providers, but not enough to sell me on them. Digis seemed to be bigger and had a better startup deal. -- this is where the praise stops.

Let me preface by saying I do a LARGE amount of work via VPN and remote desktops. I require high-speed access that is consistent and reliable.

In the 14 months I've been with Digis, I've NEVER seen even half the speed they advertise (signed up for the 7mb service -- rarely see it above 2, averages at 1). I've sent many emails regarding this, even had them re-aim my antenna twice. They've told me I have a perfect signal in both directions so there's no reason I shouldn't have full speed.

They also throttle bandwidth on a daily basis. I still don't know what the cap is -- though I've heard it's 3gb. If I'd known this limitation I would never have signed up. When they do throttle you, it seems like it's at 128k max, and they don't inform you when you're being throttled.

It also seems they've oversaturated their network... come 6pm it slows from the already slow pace to unusable, and remains so till around 11pm. I've been told they're increasing infrastructure equipment to help with the load. I have no clue if they ever installed it, but if they have it's made no difference.

The support team can be very rude. I admit to being a bit angry on the phone a few times -- but if they would deliver a satisfying service I wouldn't have to call.

I'm switching to RapidWave tomorrow. The setup fee isn't as bad as it used to be (was $300, now $169). They're a bit more monthly, but they don't throttle or cap bandwidth. A couple friends use them and have had much better luck -- hoping to get some of that myself.

For reference I've both attached an example speed test. This is typical of what I'm getting. »/im/43265572/36528.png

Update:

So I called to cancel my account with Digis and found out some more unsettling information: They charge $35 to come remove their equipment from your house and they don't prorate already billed/collected payments. The equipment removal fee sucks, but it's cheaper than buying a ladder (my roof is unaccessible without one), but not proprating a refund? I was billed on 1/6/08 for Jan '08's service. I called on 1/9/08 to cancel. They told me the service would be immediately terminated, but the WON'T refund me back a prorated amount even though I'm not using the service. I offered to pay them $3.88 ($40 / month (31 days), 3 days = $3.88), they told me it wasn't their policy to do so.

I'm refuting charges, filing a BBB complaint and delivering a check for $3.88. If they charge me for anything else, I'll refute that too. Any bill sent will be returned. If they keep harassing me beyond that, I'll sick Bill Gephardt on them

I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND DIGIS TO MY WORST ENEMY.

As an aside, I've had RapidWave for about 24 hours now. I'm already experiencing speeds that are at least 3x faster than the best I EVER had with Digis, and I'm paying for a "slower" service. The only thing negative I can say about RapidWave is they interfere with BitTorrent transfers, but that is to be expected with WISP.

Comments:

Review by amycjgrace See Profile

• Location: Lehi,Utah,UT
Good "Sucks, Sucks, Sucks"
Bad "Outages, limits, zero tech support"
Overall "Run away if you can"

I used Digis for almost 5 years. For most of that time, I was very satisfied, and recommended them to tons of people. For a long time, connections speeds were good, and always seemed to be improving, customer service, although not stellar, was always satisfactory, and the value was excellent. Fast forward to about 1 and 1/2 years ago. I started at that point to get all kinds of connection problems. My mother, who had also used Digis for some time, also started having connection issues. She works for the State of Utah, and her job depends upon a solid web connection. For about 1 year she had no issues with Digis, then suddenly, she started having tons of problems. When she would call tech support, they would always blame her or her equipment (i.e. router) and pretty much end it there. She left them, and has gotten a lot more work done.

I remained with them for one important reason, they gave me a public IP address for just $5 more per month (although I've asked both qwest and comcast multiple times about the possibility of getting a public IP from them, no one seems to know, and I never get an answer). However, in November 2007, Digis committed the unpardonable. They started throttling bandwidth after 350 mb per day. I called them up to complain stating that I've had windows updates that were larger than that, and that it was a short sighted policy. They simply offered a plan that didn't throttle based on daily usage, but allowed 12 gb per month, and $5 for every gig over. All I heard was limits for me, and money for them.

Although no one from Digis will ever admit it, the reason they suck now is because they started buying up every other WISP in the area, and simply don't have the resources to manage them at all. My suggestion, don't bite off more than you can chew DIGIS!!

Anyway, I used to like Digis. This was originally done several years ago, and I've returned to amend it. I new use Rapidwave (Yeah, no limits at all, much faster and way more reliable, and a free public IP address for my web hosting needs). Thanks Rapidwave for being my internet salvation. By Digis. RIP.

Old Post from 2 1/2 years ago (when Digis was good):

I have had Digis for over two years now. Why? Because it rocks. In fact, It's been so good, I had it installed at my business too (the only other option I had there was ISDN through Qwest, very expensive, very slow, very poor). Digis has been phenomenal. I get Around 1.2 mbps download and 600 kbps upload. Sure there are faster speeds, but not for $25/month (if they exist, let me know). I do get very occasional outages (at most twice per month) and most last only minutes. Service is very reliable and tech support is always helpful. I signed up when I had no other options, but don’t think I would switch even if other options came up. It’s that good of service. My only complaint is the $5 / Gig over 3 Gb monthly usage. I often exceed my 3 Gb. Would love to see them offer unlimited bandwidth at same price. Service was so reliable, I set it up at my business in American Fork over a year ago. Only had one problem there. For about two weeks, had very poor service requiring multiple tech support calls. After two weeks, I got a call from tech support. They discovered that a firmware update to their equipment caused the poor service. They went back to former hardware drivers, and have had no problems since. And guess what, I didn’t get charged a penny for any calls or service since it was a problem on their end. I have only had service call once at my home in two years. My equipment was updated and cost only $35. Not bad really considering the costs at other ISPs. I quite honestly can’t understand the poor reviews here expect that people who have complaints are generally louder than satisfied customers. If you have no other broadband options, get Digis. If you have other broadband options, still get Digis. It’s the best. Equipement cost around $400 is a little pricey. However, when compared with the monthly saving over comcast, after 2 years I'm hundreds of dollars ahead.