Digis page on DSLReports

Review by ryan83 See Profile

• Location: Alpine,Utah,UT
Good "Better than dial-up"
Bad "Everything else - no 24/7 CS, oversubscribed towers, "
Overall "It's the ISP of last resort"

I've had Digis in 3 locations over the year. I've pulled it at each site as soon as I found an alternative.

A few words about Digis.

-- They use different definitions for speed than anyone else. Their so-called 7-megabit service is 5 megabits down, 2 megabits up. Nobody else measures speed this way. A T1, for example, is 1.5-megabit down/1.5 megabit up. Calling it a '3' megabit pipe would get you laughed at.

-- They oversubscribe their towers by incredibly wide margins. Worse, they use their consumer-facing towers for backhaul as well -- so Internet congestion a few towns over gets felt by you if your tower happens to be a link in the chain back to core infrastructure.

-- Their installers, while reasonably decent people, do not pay close attention to detail.

When I lived in Springville, my options were Digis, Comcast, or CL. Comcast was quite pricey. CL, on paper, didn't look very fast. So, I went with Digis. This house used to have Airswitch (a Springville ISP) that offered 10 megabit speeds, until Airswitch got killed off due to municipal ineptitude.

Digis speeds were highly variable. It'd be a full 4.5 megabits one day, then 2 megabits the next. Calling tech support was fruitless. Their solutions boiled down to rebooting the router, power cycling the equipment, and them saying they'll put a ticket in.

They changed their service plans at least 3 times over the years. At one point, they had daily throttling -- more than 2GB/day, and your speeds got cut to 128kbps down/32k up. Then, they switched over to a monthly-throttling style plan. Then they went to a no-throttle plan where overages were charged for excessive use. I suppose that wouldn't be bad, if there was any way to set up alerts to indicate when you're about to trigger an overage. There isn't.

A couple years ago, speeds were dropping and packets were dropping. Two techs came out at different times. They concluded that a tree was blocking the signal. I asked to cancel at that point, finally fed up with it.

I've switched to CenturyLink, which has been very stable for me. It took 7 months for me to get my refund check from Digis for my last 6 weeks' service while they dithered trying to find out why the signal was so poor.

Before I switched, when my credit card expired, I logged in to update it. I couldn't log in, so I called customer service. They said they had no records for that account, despite me having receipts in my inbox. They acquire so many WISPs here in Utah that they can't keep good track of their own customers.

About halfway through the above time, I turned my Springville location into a rental and moved to Alpine. Tragically, Digis was the only ISP available. No Comcast, no CenturyLink.

They hooked me up to a very oversubscribed tower. I logged ping times and transfer times. Averaged less than a megabit/second. One of the other joys in dealing with Digis is that:
A) Customer support is a business-hours only affair; and
B) Tech support and customer support don't talk to each other. Have an outage? First, you call tech support and reboot your router. Then, you can call customer support, wait on hold, and try to get a credit for it.

They fiddled with things for months until they finally got a new tower put up to relieve some of the congestion.

This whole time, I'm using a Cisco 3620 as my router. There are some of these things that have been running for a decade or longer without a reboot. I'd humor Digis when they asked me to reboot, but it was clear the problem wasn't on my end.

Right up until a lightning storm blew up my router. You see, when they hook the antenna up, tbey're supposed to ground it. There's an Ethernet cable going right from the antenna to their power-over-ethernet injector, and from there to a router. In any case, lightning hit the antenna, wasn't arrested, and blew up both the line card on my router and their PoE injector. No Internet. I went out and got another Cisco (upgraded to an 1800 series) and a lightning arrestor for it.

I was paying for a static IP address, which also got changed during one of their acquisitions and left me scrambling to sort it out until I chatted with tech support, who told me what they'd done and apologized for not informing me. "Not a lot of people use static IP's" was their excuse upon telling me they just create DHCP reservations for folks that use static IP's, and they'd changed mine.

If you have an alternative, take it. CL may not be as fast on paper, but it's a lot more stable. Comcast gets a lot of flak, but they know how to run highly-available infrastructure. Digis survives only because it's the ISP you use when there's nothing else available.

Comments:

Review by Vcize3 See Profile

• Location: Ogden,Weber,UT
Good "Fairly reliable, good enough to game on, good alternative to some other local options"
Bad "Capped/throttled both daily AND monthly"
Overall "Much better than the only other alternative in my area, which was 1.5mbps CenturyLink, but not worth choosing over Comcast"

·EPB Fiber Optics
For some reason, I live on the one street in my area that does not offer Comcast. My only real alternative to Digis is CenturyLink, which offers an appalling and insulting 1.5mpbs here. Digis offers a much more reasonable 12mbps/3mbps option, with some major catches.

Before I get into those catches, I will relay the good news. Digis works by running a fiber connection to a local antenna, then broadcasting that signal over the air to an antenna they install on your house. That antenna looks like your basic DirecTv satellite dish and is free to install with a 2 year contract (ugh). I'm a power user, and one of my main concerns with the paultry internet options in my area was being able to game online (PS3, XBox 360, XB1, etc). I can confirm that gaming through my digis connection is in fact reasonable. You'll always be in the bottom half of the pings in the room you're in, but there won't be a noticeable amount of lag most times. It's not good for gaming, but it's good enough, which is the best I could hope for.

Additionally, the service has been quite reliable. Downtime has been minimal in the ~6 months that I've had the service, and the area's snow-storms haven't knocked out the signal on the antenna like they do on the DirecTv dish.

Now, on to the bad. Aside from the 2-year contract (ugh) and somewhat slows speeds for the price (12down/3up for the same price as Comcast offers 50down/10up) this mainly falls into the data capping territory. Digis caps by both the day AND the month, in the following manner.

Daily capping:

-At zero usage for the day, you get 12down/3up on their most expensive plan

-Once you've used a meager 500mb (one HD netflix 20 minute show, or one medium download, etc) you're throttled down to 7down/2up

-Once you've used 6gb for the day, you're further throttled down to 4down/1.5up

If you have cheaper plans then the throttling is more aggressive.

On top of that daily capping, there is also a monthly cap of 250gb. Even among data caps, this is a pretty low/aggressive one. After that you will have to pay a pretty hefty fine for each GB you go over.

As mentioned above, I'm a power user and as such am fighting with this cap most months. I also straight up cannot do many things that I would like to. I'm a photographer and cannot backup my photos online in the cloud because I shoot in raw and I would exceed my cap every month. Additionally, modern game consoles (Xbox One and PS4) are pushing digital purchases and with games that often reach 40-50gb in size the digis daily throttling makes them take days to download and the monthly throttling means you can only buy a game or two per month without having to really scale back elsewhere to avoid overage fees.

In an age where cloud storage is becoming the norm and where there are services pushing online movie streaming, game consoles pushing large digital purchases, and services like Bitcasa offering unlimited online storage or Amazon s3 offering extremely cheap online storage these excessive data caps are just absurd.

I had Comcast in a previous city and hated it (constant downtime), and never thought I'd see the day where I'm constantly calling Comcast and begging them to add service to my area. If you're a light user then Digis will probably be fine for you, especially if Comcast is not available in your area and CenturyLink is offering one of its pathetic options as your alternative. But if you're any kind of semi-power user of the internet then you will be thinking about Digis' aggressive data caps on a daily basis.

Comments:

Review by Moondogg See Profile

• Location: Alpine,Utah,UT
Good "Only ISP in our area"
Bad "I pay for 15mb, I receive >1mb"
Overall "Extremely spotty service/Poor customer service/throttling average users"

I have had Digis for almost a year and their service has been very poor from day one. If I had any other option for Internet, I would switch today. I pay for the highest plan, which is 15mb (their strategic pricing means there is only $10 difference between their highest and lowest monthly plan), but my speeds are never anywhere near what I pay for. I run speed tests regularly and consistently get speeds LOWER THAN 1mb/s. I have called their support number dozens of times and their technicians go over the same script each time: "Power cycle your router and our internet switch. Run a speed test. I'll check some settings (5 minute wait). We'll send a technician out." It's the same routine every time. Ironically, my speeds will spike to around 7 or 8mb after calling them, which indicates they are throttling my connection and adjust their settings when I call to complain about their horrible service. There is no mention of bandwidth throttling or usage caps anywhere in their terms of service or contract, but a former employee told me they throttle bandwidth extensively and allocate bandwidth to other users. That would be fine if they were up front about it and if their users were at least able to get decent speeds in spite of their undisclosed throttling.

We had a technician out yesterday morning who didn't even inspect the equipment or cable on the roof and simply "adjusted some settings" by plugging his device into our receiver. Our last tech told us the cables on our roof were worn and would need to be replaced soon, which I mentioned, and he said "No. They should be fine. It looks like it was a 'settings issue'." Our speeds were around 12mb (highest EVER) for about 5 hours, then returned to their normal sub-par speeds of around 1 to 3mb. I get literally 1/15th of what I pay for.

The bottom line is if you have ANY other option for Internet service, don't even consider Digis. It's a second rate, garbage ISP (despite their "rave reviews" on their website and radio ads). They aren't honest with their customers and are unethical for charging people for a service they won't provide. We are average users: no massive downloads, occasionally stream movies or TV shows in the evening, check email, etc. and they still tamper with our connection and can't seem to fix the "settings issues" that keep our speeds down.

Stay away from Digis if you can.

Comments:

Review by Pandelerium See Profile

• Location: Roy,Weber,UT
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Horrible Company and Serice"
Overall "DO NOT USE"

I disconnected service to to instability of their network. They refuse to refund service fees.

I signed up for their highest speed internet service in Roy, which they claimed was for HD video streaming and heavy online game use. They told me I was using too much bandwidth and started "funneling" my internet. I looked through my contract and on their website, there is no mention of any type of bandwidth limits imposed. Then, their service started to drop out intermittently and get extremely slow. Finally, they sent out a technician, he told us that their antenna on their tower had been moved, and there was no longer a good line of sight to my antenna on my roof, and therefore we were "unserviceable". I subsequently called and disconnected my service and changed ISP's. They promised to come and get their equipment and send me a final bill. This was in August, 2013. by November, the equipment was still on my roof and I had been turned over to a collection company for the total cost of the equipment that they failed to pick up, for over $350.00. I called, pretty upset, they finally sent someone a week later to get the equipment. I called them to credit my account for the remaining $49.46 because of the horrible service I received the last month of service, they refused saying it was my fault for using too much bandwidth. First, there is NO bandwidth restriction in their contract, anywhere. Second, it is NOT my fault they relocated their antenna and made me un-serviceable.

I reported them to the Better Business Bureau, they never responded to the complaint.

Bottom line, DO NOT EVER USE THIS ISP, they lie to you and provide horrible service as soon as they see you as a problem. Find another ISP, even the "Big Boys" are far superior.

• Location: Sandy,Salt Lake,UT

I have never had a more horrible experience. It was so awful, I've for the first time, actually sought out a forum where I could try and do anything to prevent future customers from the hassle I've endured. They are completely dishonest in shocking ways. I cancelled service after MONTHS of unreliable service at laughable speeds - IF i even had internet at all! I called multiple times with absolutely no fixes. FInally I cancelled service, just to be told a month later that I never cancelled. I spoke with customer service and multiple supervisors, told I would be credited - Only to get a call from a collection agency 5 MONTHS later! I called and they STILL wouldn't credit the account for $25 owed due to their mistake. So ridiculous. I can't believe what POOR internet service and POOR customer service they have! Please please look elsewhere when considering service - it's an unending nightmare with them.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Smithfield,Cache,UT
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Fast to Install"
Bad "Installation is the beginning of your problems"
Overall "Bad company to deal with"

Absolutely horrible on all counts! My service was constantly cutting out
and I was without phone service for months because they kept promising they
could see what the problem was, they were fixing it, they had sent a new box
in the mail, etc. Awful!!! Most dishonorable people hired as customer
service reps, pure lies. Anyway, finally cancelled in February. Am still get-
ting bills from them as of June. What is wrong with these people?!?

(review was emailed from domain usu.edu)

• Location: Payson,Utah,UT
Good "Not much. Shady practices changing service plans."
Bad "Poor Latency, Poor Bandwidth, unplanned outages, Poor weather no signal, They charge you when download cap is exceeded. SLOW"
Overall "Your better off getting DSL from Qwest."

ISP DIGIS

Location: Elk Ridge Utah, 84651
Rating on scale of 1-10 : 2

Service was ok up until the beginning 2012. Digis brought back their
bandwidth cap. I called to inquire about the emails I received for
exceeding the cap. The rep informed me Digis sent an email to customers
inquiring if they would prefer to have their bandwidth speeds throttled
with no cap or blazing fast downloads with a 150GB cap and an additional
charge of $2 for every 10GB's after that. According to Digis people wanted
blazing fast speeds. I can tell you I never received an email inquiring my
feelings. I can also tell you the bandwidth is far from blazing. On a
friday night my bandwidth test results are 570KB down and 1.18mb up, with a
latency of 97ms. Trying to buffer video on Youtube is painful. Digis is
slow and inconsistent. Your better off getting DSL through centurylink.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by BigBird12 See Profile

• Location: Boise,Ada,ID
Good "Field Techs are awesome. Great download speed when working. Quick install. First month free."
Bad "How much room do I get to write? These guys really suck!"
Overall "When I can find someone this cheap, I will leave in a heartbeat!"

Digis is trying to break into the market in the Boise, Idaho area. They have a good price for 7mbps service and 10 email addresses. All was good when I first started, but it didn't take long for the excitement to end.

I have documented calls to them every other week with speed issues. I recently went four days with my download speed running between .5 and .9! After normally running 4.95, this is very frustrating to say the least.

They always say that they are having tower issues and that techs are on site working on it. Well, I spoke with one of the field techs recently. He told me that there are a lot of unhappy customers in the Boise area; that this happens all the time. He told me that the problem is that their 7mbps is really put together with a 5mbps and a 2. The reason the speed goes down is because it simply cannot handle the volume, even though there are less then 200 users in the valley.

They told me when I signed up that they would be upgrading to 10mbps by the beginning of the year. The phone tech told me this week that it will happen in 3-4 months.

The field tech told me it would be at least a year due to their lack of funds. Over in other smaller, rural towns, they are already enjoying this upgrade. I asked him why they do it their, but not in the largest city in Idaho. He said that it is because they have over 1000 customers in those areas, but only about 160 here. I can see why! It is so annoying to have this happening on a regular basis.

He told me that he gets yelled at all day long by customers. He said, "If I didn't get the service for free, I wouldn't have it!"

HEY, DIGIS, WHAT DOES THAT SAY TO YOU ABOUT YOUR FREAKIN' LACK OF SERVICE WHEN YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES HATE IT? WAKE UP! BY THE TIME YOU GET AROUND TO FIXING THE PROBLEM, YOU WON'T STAND A CHANCE OF BREAKING INTO THE BOISE MARKET, BECAUSE YOUR NAME WILL BE MUD! WORD OF MOUTH IS A POWERFUL TOOL AND YOU ARE BLOWING A GREAT OPPORTUNITY SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU DON'T CARE!!!

They have a great incentive. If you get five people to sign up, your bill is only $10 a month for a year. I told the tech, "Why would I tell a friend to sign up for something they are going to be mad at me for suggesting?" He told me that is why Digis isn't growing very rapidly in the Treasure Valley.

The guys in the field are AWESOME! They really know their stuff and are the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I feel sorry for them. They are stuck and their own company won't do anything about it.

When you talk with the phone techs in Salt Lake City, Utah, they sound like they don't care one bit about you. We are small potatoes in their book. They don't even have a clue what they are destroying by not delivering goods to this area of over 600,000 people!

I read an earlier post about a guy who has had Digis for two weeks and loves them. I did too. But, your day is coming. Can't wait to read his next post about Digis!

Final thought. When I find time to do some research, I will definitely dump this joke of a service and get something that is reliable. Digis' service is consistently inconsistent!

Comments:

Review by GrandMasta

• Location: Ogden,Weber,UT
Good "I can access the internet to write horrible reviews"
Bad "Throttling, DNS, Reliability"
Overall "1gb-2gb Daily limit is downright asinine."

As others have said, Digis is worthless. My fist hurts from punching the satellite. Frequently goes down(multiple times hourly), the DNS is horrible and the throttling is the last straw. 1gb-2gb Daily limit is downright asinine. this is the year 2011, We have 3 computers, 2 laptops and countless other internet enabled toys at our disposal(all of which are pretty much worthless with this service).. I can use 2gb in my sleep.. I have been throttled to .50Mbps and if I keep downloading at a throttled 60k/s they slow me down to .20Mbps..Wow. un-usable garbage. I find myself not downloading stuff because it is too big and know I will be throttled for the remainder of the day or month even! Please do not buy this service. You can thank me later. *rant* over

(review was emailed from domain comcast.net)

Comments:

Review by diegowarrior See Profile

• Location: Eagle Mountain,Utah,UT
Good "Friendly support, low price"
Bad "low speed, not as advertised, speed cap with throttling"

I've had Digis.net for about 4 months, 7 mb connection (5 down 2 up), but I nearly never had that speed.

I complained a couple of times and the same day the speed went up, but I don't want to have to call them almost every day to get the speed increased.

After like 1 month the connection died so I had to call them and they sent someone I think no more than 2 days later who changed the radio, he said it had died, I didn't have to pay for anything and they apologized, but I still didn't have service for those days...

The speed is not as they advertise it, I check my speed at www.speedtest.net very often, you can see some of the history of the results and judge by yourselves, I would put it all, but I don't know how:

»www.speedtest.net/result/713015053.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/715714117.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/697146773.png

There was once that I downloaded one dvd and they cut my speed really bad, I called them and they said I had used the maximum bandwidth but that at midnight it was going to go back to normal. It went back to normal but still was slow, and I like to stream TV at night from hulu, that's why I got the 5 mb down connection, but lately it has been very bad, I think is a shared connection because the speed is usually very slow at night and faster in the mornings. The average speed is about 1 mb down, so I'm tired of having to watch how much do I use the internet and to pay for what I am not getting, so I'm switching companies, I'm getting 12 mb from a different company, I'll review them when I'll have the service.

Good luck.