Midcontinent Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Phoenix Gold See Profile

• Location: Aberdeen,Brown,SD
Good "fast reliable and cheap"
Bad "promotional pricing will end after 24 months"
Overall "60/6mb internet, expanded cable and HBO = $107 a month"

reliable, fast and cheap. Walked into a a midco store and the guy set me up with a good tv/internet bundle- 60/6mb, top tier cable package and HBO. Including modem rental and cable card rental for $107 with tax. The midco cable card install was easy too.

Comments:

Review by volta88 See Profile

• Location: Zimmerman,Sherburne,MN
Good "Ripping speeds, friendly and inteligent customer service"
Bad "nothing really"
Overall "Highly reccomend"

I've had midco for about a year now (formerly US Cable) and what really prompted me to write this review was after I was forced to get windstream at my business.

Going from my midco line, to the windstream line at work really puts the overall value I'm getting into perspective. At my place of business, I'm paying 80 bucks for 12 down and 1 up, in both cases I'm only getting about 80% of that though, even though I'm literally 1 mile from their main pipe in the center of town.

With my midco line, in many cases I'm getting far and above what I'm paying for (12/1.5) with my actual download speeds many times in the 15 Mb range and uploads into the 2.2 Mb range.

In comparision, it's a far faster, far more stable connection at a better cost, and at 5pm when my windstream line is clogged and bogged down, I'm pulling the same speed on the midco line as I would at 2 or 4 in the morning.

When you call customer service, they know what they're talking about and aren't going to dick you around, much more than I can say about windstream's reps, to whom I had to explain the difference between megabit and a megabyte (no, I'm not kidding unfortunately.)

Just my experience thus far, but these dudes know what they're doing, and have made me a very happy customer.

Update - 11-11-12 - They've just expanded their service in my zip code, I'm now getting about 34 megs down and 5 up, wow. What a massive difference in speed. Line is still stout as ever, and still blazing fast. Highly recommend.

As an aside, still on my windstream line at the office in town. Hurts, but one day I'm praying a suitable provider will pull a line over to that side of town. For now, I come home to do my large uploads.

Comments:

NextDoor

@myvzw.com

MidCon

Hey Dan. Good review.

Review by Deft See Profile

• Location: Grand Forks,Grand Forks,ND
Good "Excellent Download/Upload for the Price"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Possibly the best still in North Dakota"

1st time i got it was 3yrs ago and all i had was a 3mb down/ 128mb up 29.99/mth.. then after about 8 months they came out with an upgrade.. to 256mb up 29.99/mth then after a year or more they sent out Midco Max which is what i have now. and thats 5mb down and 512 up 49.99/mth.

The Tech was excellent both times (since i moved) and both EARLY!! so yea all in all if youre in the ND area and are within the 2800 feet i think.. definitly get MIDCO dont get that crap DSL.. just isnt the same.

***UPDATE** I've moved back to GF,ND its been 2yrs since ive had Midco and WOW they just updated yet again!!! i now have 10mb/1mb down its just amazing! and the Price is unreal 99$ for 1 YEAR!! thats of course without taxes! but you cant beat that hell no!

*****UPDATE**** Recently went to a new package of 89,95 for 6mths and get unthrottled download *16meg* and 768 up, also get 30HD Channels all HBO channels and 200+ channels with that rate..

******UPDATE***** Went to another new Package and its even better 114.00 for ONE YEAR no CONTRACT same as above but with phone and midco just upgraded their servers yet again! now i get 25mbps down and 2mbps up! woohoo!

****UPDATE***** Still on same package as above wont be downgrading nor upgrading being im to the most upgradable stuff

****UPDATE*** Downgraded to do financial issues but still great service! and always up to date on everything.. (TV, Internet) dont use phone line. i believe they have a 50/15 internet now.. which is the DOCSIS 3.0.

******UPDATE****** under same tier as before. still great service and now they are advertising 100/50 on tv but hasnt showed up in Grand Forks. but i would assume in the South Dakota area its there.

Comments:

Review by Rated See Profile

• Location: Moorhead,Clay,MN
Good "Non contract"
Bad "The newest con"
Overall "Keep looking"

In searching for a better Internet and cable provider, I was hopeful for the sans contract midco, but was sorely misled. After 9months of service, I reviewed my monthly charges, to find the sale rep. that arranged my order misled me the total charges to the amount of an extra $30 a month. Roughly the cost of Internet alone. Trying to rectify this with customer service, was useless, if not outright defeating in their refusal to accept responsibility. The routers they use have a less than 10ft range (I exchanged a couple) and cannot handle more than one wireless device.after installing the new router I discovered the orginal installation had the incorrect cable size.Id rather have media blackout than the frustrations I've had with this company.

Comments:

Deft
Stros in '08
join:2003-09-06
Grand Forks, ND
·Midcontinent Com..

Took you 9 months?

quote:

I would love to know what bundle package you got.. because for 30bux "just for internet" is hogwash.. when the typical lowest cost of internet is 25.95 and the next is 39.95..

Also the routers are awesome you cant get any better routers unless you pay out the ass for them $150+.. also you say you changed a couple routers... but after installing the what? 4th/5th/6th one you realized they installed the wrong coax cable? pretty sure this is america and we all have a standard coax cable line.. and your wireless 10ft range? really i have a iphone that connects about 30ft away from my house. and also i have a ps3/iphone/droidx/and a wd hub all connected to my wireless which is perfectly fine.

Truthfully i think you cant afford that bogus 169.95 and want cheaper..

Review by aequitas

• Location: Rapid City,Pennington,SD
Good "Not much, at this point. It feels like a long run relationship gone bad."
Bad "From unusable to slow."
Overall "I want a divorce."

This review is for Midcontinent Communications in Rapid City, SD.

I have been a Midco customer for over 12 years now in one town in SD
and ND or another. I was immensely satisfied with their product until
roughly a year ago, and I'm on the verge of canceling my service due
to increasing prices, failure to improve with the times, and a seeming
willingness to over-provision nodes. This has gotten worse over the
past couple years as they have thrown more funds into area of service
expansion/acquisition. Increased prices, in particular, have been
problematic.

Here are some details:

* Latency jumps drastically as soon as you get to the edge the Midco
network. The last hop off the Midco network has me already sitting at
a latency of over 40ms, and I'm still in South Dakota. This happens
consistently, whether trying to traceroute into the Midco network or
out of it.
* The best general ping I can hope for to the 'general internet' is
around 70-90ms. 8.8.8.8 pings at 50-60ms and 4.2.2.2 as low as
45-50ms.
* Jitter is bad, as much as 50ms over a very short period.
* They are only provisioning Cisco cable modems now. They will not
drop offline when signal quality on the line is (very, very) bad. The
modems will report via the LEDs that they're sync'd up, but you won't
be able to do much more than get a DHCP lease (if that) after numerous
tries. If this happens (based on a bad node), you will be left in an
argument with their support with them claiming it's your fault since
their modem is showing online. It took them months and multiple visits
to acknowledge the problem; it's been weeks since, and they've not
fixed it.
* Throughput is highly variable, but I have never seen the
15Mbit/5Mbit I'm (supposedly) paying for. The best I've seen is
roughly half that download rate (though upload rate comes close).
* They burst your traffic. You won't see the higher throughput rates
until a couple seconds of downloading, so general internet use does
not benefit from them.
* They will not escalate, period

I will note that their phone support is very (abnormally) friendly,
but for the most part they're either unwilling or unable to actually
do much that a technical person might want. They can look at your
modem status, ping you, and that's about it. They simply will not
escalate you to their managers or a technical resource, even after
you've established "bad customer who complains a lot, first name basis
communication" status.

It has been a great number of years before this ISP has been friendly
towards technical people and since they hosted debian.midco.net.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by R338LapuaMag See Profile

• Location: Sioux Falls,Minnehaha,SD
Good "seemed to good to be true"
Bad "it was"
Overall "don't fall for their specials"

Been with Midco since the @HOME days. DEC,5 1999. For awhile it
sseemed ok until my bill keep going up and up since 2008.
WE dropped the TV portion because we couldn't afford $100 a month to
watch 5 channels and have broadband so we canceled last TV last year.
Immediately started having connection problems that they flat out lied
about (long story). After almost a year finally got a tech that found
that the previous tech did not tighten the F-connector in the cablr box
outside. Caused the entire problem. This was after buying 2 new modems
to fix a problem they caused.

Then we made the mistake of signin up for a $59 200 TV channel wideband
bundle. WE verfied the price including taxes before they stepped foot
in our house. They also added a FREE 3 MO. Premium package for 3 mos.
at no extra cost. NONE they swore. WE declined it and canceled before
the due date and guess what? The price that was GUARANTEED for 12
months went UP. And they refused to honor the $5.00 off for having data
and cable bundle.

Do not trust this company. WE finally dropped them all together and
am letting the AG of South Dakota bring charges against them. Midco
does not care for long time bill paying customers.

Comments:
ase500

join:2002-04-08

Bull

The company never offered a 59 dollar bundle it was 69!

Review by smccloud See Profile

• Location: Becker,Sherburne,MN
Good "It mostly works"
Bad "Blocking"
Overall "Stay away"

Had US Cable until they sold to Midcontinent Communications. Got told many times my bill wouldn't go up, but it did due to a modem lease fee. After I swapped my old modem in place I then had to call them to get the modem lease fee removed from my account since their system didn't do it (thankfully I check the bill from them every month). Also had to drop cable card service through them since they couldn't get it working right with my TiVo (even after a conference call with TiVo, them & me). Finally, they blocked my modem due to "3 hacking" attempts that were reported to them and said I had a virus even after I ran a virus scan while on the phone with them and found no virus on any system. As soon as my TiVo contract is up I will be getting rid of them completely but for now I'm stuck with them for TV.

Comments:

pp03

join:2002-06-13

In contrast.

I just want to be in contrast to this review.

I have never been more happy with an internet service provider and I've had quite a few through my moves. They don't BS around with their pricing as what they offer is what you get (excluding TRULY new customers).

No caps, amazing speed for the country (I can get over 100mbs down if I want in a town of 6k).

Edit: NO CAPS. Who can say that in this day and age? I know they will come eventually, but as of right now you can download to your heart's desire with their max speed!

Their T.V. service is a little expensive, but this site is related to internet - not T.V.

Deft
Stros in '08
join:2003-09-06
Grand Forks, ND
·Midcontinent Com..

5 dollar modem? no contract?

Cant afford a $5/mth modem lifetime guarantee?? no contracts so you saying ur stuck with TV is total hogwash. obviously something malicious was on your computer if they suspected something. go enjoy 2yr contracts from Century Link or some other big boy isp provider
ase500

join:2002-04-08

buy a modem

don't want to lease a modem, go buy one.!

Review by Quake1983 See Profile

• Location: Fairmont,Martin,MN
Good "consistent speeds as or above advertised."
Bad "down times weekly between 2 and 3 am."
Overall "Great service"

My name is Nathan and I pay for the highest tier of 100mbps down/15mbps up. I see as much as 120 mbps down and 17 mbps up. its pretty fantastic. I am a heavy user with multiple netflix devices pulling HD streams. I am a cord cutter and therefore acquire my tv shows all online through streaming services. I have been on all of their speed tiers at one time or another. when I had the 30mbps service I would get 40. on the 50 tier I got 60. since I am a cord cutter I pull much of my content from revision3.com or Leo Laports Twit network. From Twit.tv I often times pull about 950MB per minute on a download. a 2.5 gig video file will usually take 2 1/2 minutes.

I had to upgrade my desktop from a wifi connection to a LAN cable connection because the wifi topped out around 80mbps or so. I have literally never been so happy with an isp in my 10 plus years of paying for services from one company or another.
Midco bought out Charter communications. THANK GOD they did. Charter... ohhhhh the horror stories I could right about charter.....

Not everyone is going to get my results. But midco has my endorsement.
Its legit.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1865696180.png

Comments:
Quake1983

join:2012-04-04

midco review

Here is a recent speed test I did on www.speedtest.net

»www.speedtest.net/result/1865696180.png

Review by haveagood1 See Profile

• Location: Zimmerman,Sherburne,MN
Good "It works."
Bad "Nothing really."

They bought out my old cable company. So other than the name change haven't notice anything different.

Comments:

Review by pp03 See Profile

Good "Big speed, low lat, quick and friendly customer service, solid price."
Bad "Nothing."
Overall "I'm very lucky to have them. If they ever get bought out I'm going to cry."

They took over Charter's market in my area, and when Charter was in control it was a disaster. Horrible lag, crappy service, having to call them for random charges every couple of months. To keep from digressing, within 6 months they had changed out and upgraded all the equipment so I was officially on their network (I paid them but still used the old Charter network for ~5 months after they acquired the area, when they linked over to their network.)

From that time on, I've had ONE price, no misc charges, fantastic speed above the advertised price I'm paying for...and their speed goes all the way up to 100mbs down even in the sticks. Their customer support is quick, and they actually know what they're talking about, oh and they're from midco's market, not outsourced.

My latency in gaming with charter was always 100+ (150-250 in wow) and with Midco I'm gaming at ~20-30 for local servers and ~50 for wow (Texas server cluster).

member for 12.5 years, 2328 visits, last login: 2.5 years ago