Cablevision page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by bobmay See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Mercer,NJ
Good "Better picture then DTV and Fios."
Bad "I have none"
Overall "Good solid service"

·Optimum Online
Good service rarely goes out.

member for 13 years, 2319 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by DarienRedSox See Profile

• Location: Darien,Fairfield,CT
Good "Fast Internet, unlimited phone"
Bad "DVR Usless"
Overall "stay away"

Updated 4/30/2013

Little wile seance I was disconnected but hear is how it went. Rep. on the phone tells me that there DVR never has issues and he can send a tech out to fix it, as well as for an additional charge give me more DVR storage space. When I tell him no he then said that he would through in the DVR storage space for free. When my answer is no again the price goes down to $75 month and then $60 with a free upgrade to the TV package. My answer was still no. The techs. who came out to disconnect were very good and even removed the drop form my house for me. Someday I may go with internet and phone only with CV if I ever decide to get all of my TV over the internet.

Update 2/23/2013

Ok, last Friday ((2/15/2013) when I called about a DVR issue, I was told that I would receive a call from the DVR team this week. Not so, still no call from the DVR team. The space on the DVR is already almost filled with very little recording. I have given them a fair chance and will now be switching back to AT&T at a better price, would rather live with slightly slower internet than with a "broken" DVR. It is a shame because if Cablevision management wanted to they could deliver a much better product hear. They have a great front line staff who works hard and does a good job, no complaints about the installer, customer service reps I spoke to, or the sales man.

Review (2/18/2013)

Sales guy told me don't worry Cablevision has fixed all of the issues with DVR plus. Not the case, on day 1 the DVR was out of service. Day 2 it was "working" but still had all of the old issues people were complaining about when it first came out. Cable advertises no contract but yet you need to stay with them for so many months to get your start up charges back.

Comments:

Review by happy4ya See Profile

• Location: West Babylon,Suffolk,NY
Good "Internet works great (has since the beginning). Phone is phone....just works"
Bad "TV service absolutely stinks (mainly because of the new Samsung boxes)"
Overall "If you are an existing customer and have the old hard drive DVR's in your house, hold onto them as long as you can"

·Optimum Online
UPDATE:

Well, just about a year has gone by since we re-signed with CV and I regret it every day. My wife bitches at me on a nightly basis about the DVR or On Demand service or something always not working or running really slow, which is mostly due to these crappy Samsung boxes. I wish they would give us the SA boxes again but they will not budge and force crap down your throat, even if you tell them you are going to leave because of it.

I don't use the TV nearly as much as my wife but the one night I sit down to watch some DVR's shows with her, the damn thing will not work and gives us an error code. I called CV to see what's up with it and enter another of many complaints and the Cable CSR told me that they are getting these complaints from tons of customers and there is no word on when or if this will ever be fixed.

We've been back for a year already and it hasn't got one bit better. They sure know how to ruin a good thing. Hopefully Fios will run a good special again one of these days and I will switch back. I know some people will say stop bitching and switch, but unfortunately Fios must know that they are blowing CV away because they have gone up in price around here to something I just cannot justify paying even if the service is better. Just have to wait for them to run the right deal.

member for 9.8 years, 3186 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

npiwo

@optonline.net

OPtimum DVR

It's so bad, I am beyond disgusted. News shows I had planned to watch have not recorded. In my future recordings list are shows that were suppose to be recorded on 3/5!!!! Horrible and useless. Too many steps to initiate recording of series. Search is also bad (when it is working, there is usually an "unavailable" in box) Show that is advertised as starting this week not even in search????
Really, really bad. Switching to VERIZON ASAP

npiwo

@optonline.net
Really, really bad. Switching to VERIZON ASAP
jades

join:2013-04-01
New York, NY
On an important note, the SA boxes are officially phased out. They were starting to phase them out about a year and a half ago

About 3 months ago there was an upgrade to those Samsung boxes which resolved all the speed issues related to the cloud DVR as well as changing the channels

If your still having issues, you might want to check with CV that your signal level is within the boundaries, and make sure the noise ratio (SNR) is below 45
happy4ya
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY

Re: Samsung boxes shouldn't give issues anymore

Our boxes have received many updates and rebooted in the middle of watching tv. They still stink. I had CV here a few times to check signals and each time they were well within where they should be. According to the tech, it is just the Samsung boxes and their services. Maybe it's just my neighborhood. CV is supposed to be a shared connection and the more people on it the worse it is right? If the lines in my area were close to saturated before with only internet and live TV going through them and now everyone around here is using the same lines for DVR'd shows too, that might be part of the problem.
jades

join:2013-04-01
New York, NY

Re: Samsung boxes shouldn't give issues anymore

Not necessarily
This shouldn't cause sudden reboots
I would ask for a supervisor from CV to come onsite
But before that, have them try and swap your box for a new one. I would assume it was already done though

Review by Millwood See Profile

• Location: Millwood,Westchester,NY
Good "Still the only game in town but now quite satisfactory"
Bad "Expensive - current cost is a promotion which ends soon"
Overall "Only game in town but not bad"

After getting some very good support via the Yahoo Cablevision forum, my house was rewired and I have a good modem. Performance is now solid and reliable - more than I need. I now have phone, TV, and internet, all of which work well if costly, although the DVR's are getting old. The web interface to the DVR is pretty good.

cable tv is silly expensive, particularly with two DVR's and required cable boxes for every TV. On the other hand, phone is reasonable.

member for 12.3 years, 1873 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by faesda See Profile

• Location: Flanders,Morris,NJ
Bad "chronic issues outside the house that are never fixed"
Overall "they always assume the problem is inside the house and never prove the line from the tap back to the nearest pop"

if I had another choice I would have switched a million times over.
TV chronically pixelates, and freezes.
internet OK when it is working.

most of the customer service is untrained. they do not understand when you loose all three devices to multiple boxes in the house at the same time that it is an outside problem... to compound the issue... the place you on hold to complete putting a tt into dispatch while lying that they are checking with dispatch who may or may not call you back w/i 30 mins to set up the appointment that is almost always during regular work hours when you are not at home since you are at work...

you do have the occasional tech that takes pride in the network and their job and has a clue of how to fix the issues but they are very rare

Comments:

Review by Jackarino See Profile

• Location: Allendale,Bergen,NJ
Good "Not much"
Bad "Speed, variety,"
Overall "Dont waste your time"

Cablevision is the absolute worst! Speeds are never consistent. The modem resets 6 times a day. The phone gets disconnected. TV quality is terrible. Fios is the way to go. I would be surprised to see Cablevision on the stock list in 10 years.

Update: Switched back after I was assured all of the significant issues on the infrastructure were resolved. Very satisfied thus far.

member for 7.6 years, 1963 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by shawn744 See Profile

• Location: Saddle River,Bergen,NJ
Good "EVERYTHING! PRICE, FEATURES, Bundle anddd....PRICE!"
Bad "Equipment and its software quality is subpar :-/"
Overall "If you're looking to save more than $100/mo for 90% of the useabilty of another provider...Joo got it, mang."

Only three days into my service, I must say, ALL IS WELL! I initially went shopping for another triple play provider when i realized i was paying around $240/mo with FiOS and Vonage combined and not even watching ANY of my premium movie channels or other services. They gave me the FiOS special of $69.99 for a triple play...which turns out to be around $83 in reality...I gave pre sales information a 4/5 because they didn't mention that i get a free ipod touch with signup...even though its positive news, i still don't like surprises..even good ones Installation scheduling was horrible, the tech was around 7 hours late, but hey, I'm not a CEO so i waited around and had a "I'm saving $150/mo" smile on my face the whole time. I'll update more in the future. The only thing I find annoying so far is that my Optimum.net online account management system is pretty useless to setup if you're not on your home network which you aren't always able to be. Can't go wrong with cablevision. I'm very happy I switched so far.

Happy New Year!!

UPDATE: Hola, I've had the service for a week now and all is well. Minor things I've already mentioned...your optimum.net account is pretty much useless in every way unless you're on your own home network...except for programming your DVR from anywhere. NO wireless router which I noticed a few days ago....that could be a pain seeing as the good ones are around $80. I changed the ORDER TO SUCCESS date from 7 days to 2 because the remaining 5 days was because of my own scheduling. Their availabilty around the Christmas holiday was amazing. It was me who wasn't available. Blame it on the eggnog I also adjusted my total bill (before taxes) to $88 from 82 because of I don't know what...that's just how much my bill is. We can call it my monthly donation to cablevision. Overall I'm 90% satisfied which is pretty darn good for the money. Cheers. -Shawn

Comments:

Review by cseeman See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Good speeds early AM and then begins to take by late afternoon every day"
Bad "Complete disaster every evening since upgrading to Boost Plus early May 2011"
Overall "I telecommute. This is a disaster they apparently gave up trying to fix."

Boost Plus has been consistently atrocious later afternoon on every day since day one. Pay for 50mbps down and I'm often down to 5mbps give or take by the evening and always 20s or lower.

HD Channels too heavily compressed. Artifacts quite visible.

VOIP is reliable.

Comments:

Review by Buglewe See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Great Prices and Customer Service"
Bad "DVR and channel changing."
Overall "Cablevision is for those that are not picky, trying to save some money but Verizon is a better product."

I had fios triple play for a couple of years but because of the price increase I went over to cablevision. Cablevision optimum triple play was very enticing phone, internet which includes boost 30/8 and TV for $79.99. My total bill which includes 4 set top box comes to a total of $115.00. They also gave me a free wireless router and a I Pod touch. When I returned my fios set top boxes to a Verizon store, they offered me a win back deal triple play bundle which includes phone, internet 15/5 and TV which includes a free DVR and SD box for $99.99. With a total of 4 set up boxes my bill will come to a total of $127.00. I really dont have any major problems with cablevision but I hate to use their DVR. It is complicated to use and I was rather disappointed that I was not able to record my shows using my android or the web when I am not home. I also hate that it takes a long time just to switch to another channel. My family started to complain because some of the channels they had on fios they dont have on cablevision. After observing this for a week, I decided to return to Verizon. I find that even though I will be paying a little more, Verizon is a better product. My fios installation will be tomorrow.

Comments:

Review by ktekale See Profile

• Location: Edison,Middlesex,NJ
Good "installation happened the day it was promised"
Bad "low speeds during peak hours"
Overall "use if this is the only game"

The advertised speeds are never seen. During peak hours, I have seen speeds slower than a dial-up. When I call up technical support, I have always been told there is an issue with the modem. A technician is scheduled to come in two days later - the cable modem is swapped and lo behold, speeds are crappy again during peak hours.

Upon debugging the issue, I think there may be issues with Cablevision's DNS servers.