Cablevision page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by DarienRedSox See Profile

• Location: Darien,Fairfield,CT
Good "Fast Internet, unlimited phone"
Bad "DVR Usless"
Overall "stay away"

Updated 4/30/2013

Little wile seance I was disconnected but hear is how it went. Rep. on the phone tells me that there DVR never has issues and he can send a tech out to fix it, as well as for an additional charge give me more DVR storage space. When I tell him no he then said that he would through in the DVR storage space for free. When my answer is no again the price goes down to $75 month and then $60 with a free upgrade to the TV package. My answer was still no. The techs. who came out to disconnect were very good and even removed the drop form my house for me. Someday I may go with internet and phone only with CV if I ever decide to get all of my TV over the internet.

Update 2/23/2013

Ok, last Friday ((2/15/2013) when I called about a DVR issue, I was told that I would receive a call from the DVR team this week. Not so, still no call from the DVR team. The space on the DVR is already almost filled with very little recording. I have given them a fair chance and will now be switching back to AT&T at a better price, would rather live with slightly slower internet than with a "broken" DVR. It is a shame because if Cablevision management wanted to they could deliver a much better product hear. They have a great front line staff who works hard and does a good job, no complaints about the installer, customer service reps I spoke to, or the sales man.

Review (2/18/2013)

Sales guy told me don't worry Cablevision has fixed all of the issues with DVR plus. Not the case, on day 1 the DVR was out of service. Day 2 it was "working" but still had all of the old issues people were complaining about when it first came out. Cable advertises no contract but yet you need to stay with them for so many months to get your start up charges back.

Comments:

Review by Millwood See Profile

• Location: Millwood,Westchester,NY
Good "Still the only game in town but now quite satisfactory"
Bad "Expensive - current cost is a promotion which ends soon"
Overall "Only game in town but not bad"

·Optimum Voice
·Optimum Online
After getting some very good support via the Yahoo Cablevision forum, my house was rewired and I have a good modem. Performance is now solid and reliable - more than I need. I now have phone, TV, and internet, all of which work well if costly, although the DVR's are getting old. The web interface to the DVR is pretty good.

cable tv is silly expensive, particularly with two DVR's and required cable boxes for every TV. On the other hand, phone is reasonable.

member for 12.5 years, 1913 visits, last login: 1 days ago

Comments:

Review by faesda See Profile

• Location: Flanders,Morris,NJ
Bad "chronic issues outside the house that are never fixed"
Overall "they always assume the problem is inside the house and never prove the line from the tap back to the nearest pop"

if I had another choice I would have switched a million times over.
TV chronically pixelates, and freezes.
internet OK when it is working.

most of the customer service is untrained. they do not understand when you loose all three devices to multiple boxes in the house at the same time that it is an outside problem... to compound the issue... the place you on hold to complete putting a tt into dispatch while lying that they are checking with dispatch who may or may not call you back w/i 30 mins to set up the appointment that is almost always during regular work hours when you are not at home since you are at work...

you do have the occasional tech that takes pride in the network and their job and has a clue of how to fix the issues but they are very rare

Comments:

Review by cseeman See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Good speeds early AM and then begins to take by late afternoon every day"
Bad "Complete disaster every evening since upgrading to Boost Plus early May 2011"
Overall "I telecommute. This is a disaster they apparently gave up trying to fix."

Boost Plus has been consistently atrocious later afternoon on every day since day one. Pay for 50mbps down and I'm often down to 5mbps give or take by the evening and always 20s or lower.

HD Channels too heavily compressed. Artifacts quite visible.

VOIP is reliable.

• Location: West Islip,Suffolk,NY
Good "Fast internet when it works"
Bad "internet and voice unreliable"
Overall "cannot get live person on phone, website difficult to navigate"

My internet service drops in and out as well as phone calls get dropped.
I had a technician at the house who said all was working. I also changed out the modem. I can not even tell them about it because there telephone support service is voice prompts and dropped before I could get to a live person.
The online support would not accept the form I filled in to tell them of the problem.
I pay my bill by automatic withdrawal from my checking account, The online account web site does not have an option to discontinue payments.
I will be going to the service center in person to resolve this.

(review was emailed from domain optonline.net)

Comments:

Review by sashka See Profile

• Location: Butler,Morris,NJ
Good "when it works - it' great"
Bad "when it's down - it's down hard"
Overall "like any other ISP"

2.5 years ago service was installed. Installation was one week story with many no shows from tech. When he showed up, my account had a lot of credits, so first few months were free

year later switched modem to docsis3 and had no single problem until week ago.

seems my node is not working properly and cablevision's techs unable to find whats wrong with it. modem just won't lock on 609 frequency and will constantly reset. every day they fix it, but then it is dead again. support isn't helping. setting up appointments, then canceling them without letting me know.

right now i'm sitting using optimumwifi which is reachable in single room of my home. which is kind of good and working... from same node in any way, I'm not happy. I wish fios was here.

member for 14.8 years, 1344 visits, last login: 223 days ago

Comments:

Review by donbean See Profile

• Location: Stratford,Fairfield,CT
Good "good when it works as advertised"
Bad "more often than not slow speeds"
Overall "if i had fios i would switch"

If there was another option in my area i would switch.. Competition would be great in fairfield county.. Cable is a monopoly.. 50% a month is not cheap.. Wish the speeds were consistant with there advertising.

Comments:

Review by bngdup See Profile

• Location: Weehawken,Hudson,NJ
Good "Easy setup, good availability"
Bad "Crappy HD signal, horrid Set Top box and UI"
Overall "If its the only game around, it will do"

Well the internet speed is good and reliable in this area so no real complaints about that.

The Set Top Box response time is really slow compared to DirecTV, also the resolution of the UI itself is pretty bad. It looks like it was designed by an intern with no experience.

The HD channels are not on par at all with Over the air and really don't look that much different from standard def. I was really dissapointed by the quality because i came from using an antenna and received OTA HD

Update 11-9-2010

Cablevision's Internet service degraded consistently after it was installed. Each weekend it would get slower and slower during peak hours. The set top box was an absolute atrocity. It was horrifically slow and useless.

I have since switched to FIOS and have not looked back

Comments:

Review by only4luca See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Used to be great service for the $$$"
Bad "It's going down. If you thought TW was bad, try CV these days"
Overall "No need for pricing wars with VZ. They're losing fair and square on their own"

Well, starting tomorrow, i'm finally leaving CV for good. Had nothing but dissapointments for the last 3 months. Skipping repair visits, being told everything possible as being the reason for my bad connectivity ( including *NO KIDDING* squirrels who might've damaged the outside wiring ).

Final straw was yesterday, when i was supposed to receive a visit from a senior installer / supervisor, which guess what, never showed up. And that was after calling to disconnect, I was asked for one more chance....When i've called to figure out what's going on, I was told that they tried to contact me to confirm the appointment, but the phone would not ring. At they point I've asked how can the phone possibly ring, when my internet is dead ( VOIP line from CV as well ).

To begin with, the only reason i still had CV, was the killer price they gave me in order to keep me from going Fios. Well, the 20$ extra I'm gonna pay to VZ ( might be more if you factor in that i'm not getting phone service from VZ, just cable + internet ), is not gonna keep me with CV. The service is simply not worth it.

As I said in the bottom line...there's no need for VZ to fight CV on pricing...CV does a great job of sending customers to VZ on its own.

I

Former customer,

Luca M.

member for 13.1 years, 431 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by mikepinto See Profile

• Location: Westbury,Nassau,NY
Good "Great when it works."
Bad "Frequent net congestion and booster problems."
Overall "Too unreliable. Bad for business."

The failure to provide service on a regular basis is devastating to our business.

Our operating system is web-based and our employees can't even get on line or have to wait hours for certain functions to complete. Actual upload speeds (if you can call it that) are sometimes as low as 00013 and 00017 or 00018. This is positively atrocious. No one should have to endure this abuse, far more, PAY FOR IT!! I cannot recommend this service even to my worst enemy. This is slower than dial-up. There aught to be a law to stop this rip off.

member for 13.1 years, 407 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago