Cablevision page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by bobmay See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Mercer,NJ
Good "Better picture then DTV and Fios."
Bad "I have none"
Overall "Good solid service"

·Optimum Online
Good service rarely goes out.

Comments:

Review by Jackarino See Profile

• Location: Allendale,Bergen,NJ
Good "Not much"
Bad "Speed, variety,"
Overall "Dont waste your time"

Cablevision is the absolute worst! Speeds are never consistent. The modem resets 6 times a day. The phone gets disconnected. TV quality is terrible. Fios is the way to go. I would be surprised to see Cablevision on the stock list in 10 years.

Update: Switched back after I was assured all of the significant issues on the infrastructure were resolved. Very satisfied thus far.

member for 7.6 years, 1973 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by shawn744 See Profile

• Location: Saddle River,Bergen,NJ
Good "EVERYTHING! PRICE, FEATURES, Bundle anddd....PRICE!"
Bad "Equipment and its software quality is subpar :-/"
Overall "If you're looking to save more than $100/mo for 90% of the useabilty of another provider...Joo got it, mang."

Only three days into my service, I must say, ALL IS WELL! I initially went shopping for another triple play provider when i realized i was paying around $240/mo with FiOS and Vonage combined and not even watching ANY of my premium movie channels or other services. They gave me the FiOS special of $69.99 for a triple play...which turns out to be around $83 in reality...I gave pre sales information a 4/5 because they didn't mention that i get a free ipod touch with signup...even though its positive news, i still don't like surprises..even good ones Installation scheduling was horrible, the tech was around 7 hours late, but hey, I'm not a CEO so i waited around and had a "I'm saving $150/mo" smile on my face the whole time. I'll update more in the future. The only thing I find annoying so far is that my Optimum.net online account management system is pretty useless to setup if you're not on your home network which you aren't always able to be. Can't go wrong with cablevision. I'm very happy I switched so far.

Happy New Year!!

UPDATE: Hola, I've had the service for a week now and all is well. Minor things I've already mentioned...your optimum.net account is pretty much useless in every way unless you're on your own home network...except for programming your DVR from anywhere. NO wireless router which I noticed a few days ago....that could be a pain seeing as the good ones are around $80. I changed the ORDER TO SUCCESS date from 7 days to 2 because the remaining 5 days was because of my own scheduling. Their availabilty around the Christmas holiday was amazing. It was me who wasn't available. Blame it on the eggnog I also adjusted my total bill (before taxes) to $88 from 82 because of I don't know what...that's just how much my bill is. We can call it my monthly donation to cablevision. Overall I'm 90% satisfied which is pretty darn good for the money. Cheers. -Shawn

Comments:

Review by Buglewe See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Great Prices and Customer Service"
Bad "DVR and channel changing."
Overall "Cablevision is for those that are not picky, trying to save some money but Verizon is a better product."

I had fios triple play for a couple of years but because of the price increase I went over to cablevision. Cablevision optimum triple play was very enticing phone, internet which includes boost 30/8 and TV for $79.99. My total bill which includes 4 set top box comes to a total of $115.00. They also gave me a free wireless router and a I Pod touch. When I returned my fios set top boxes to a Verizon store, they offered me a win back deal triple play bundle which includes phone, internet 15/5 and TV which includes a free DVR and SD box for $99.99. With a total of 4 set up boxes my bill will come to a total of $127.00. I really dont have any major problems with cablevision but I hate to use their DVR. It is complicated to use and I was rather disappointed that I was not able to record my shows using my android or the web when I am not home. I also hate that it takes a long time just to switch to another channel. My family started to complain because some of the channels they had on fios they dont have on cablevision. After observing this for a week, I decided to return to Verizon. I find that even though I will be paying a little more, Verizon is a better product. My fios installation will be tomorrow.

Comments:

Review by uria702 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Fastest internet available for a great price (109.99 for 5 static ip 101/15) Optimum Wifi Included and 5 static IPs."
Bad "Cablevision's own static ip router is not gigabit and therefore static IP customers will max out at about 65-70 mbps."
Overall "Businesses thinking about upgrading, my advice is to wait until cablevision updates their hardware."

I ordered this for my home business on Mon and I went live on Thursday. I ordered the Ultra to upgrade from the boost. I wanted the static ip service so I had to switch my account to a business account and cancel the old one (a bit of a hassle but necessary to get the static IP addresses.

When the modem is plugged directly into a computer, I receive about 95mbps down and a bit over 15 up on average. All ports are open, including 80 and 25 (set as closed by default, but you can change them to open anytime you'd like via optimum.net login) There is congestion on my node so certain times of the day sees a slow down. I am the first Ultra subscriber on my street.

My only complaint thus far is the static ip router which is provided is only 10/100. Why is cablevision advertising 101 mbps with hardware incapable of supporting it. The downside is it CAN NOT be bypassed, therefore, my speeds are closer to 60-60 mbps on average. 1/3 of my speed is there but I can not obtain it. Dynamic IP customers do not have this issue. The rest of my network is gigabit and wireless N so it is a damn shame that I can not get those speeds yet. I guess that's the price early adopters pay to have this new technology. Cablevision has promised that there is a new router being tested and that it will be deployed soon as a replacement. The router supplied was a Cisco 800 series and is absolutely enormous. Seriously Cablevision?

There is a hefty $345 installation fee on this service but for any business being run from home, this is a great deal. I hope I will be able to update the review with news of a new router and better speeds.

If you are interested in the service my advice would be to stick to boost for a bit longer if you need static IP. By the time new routers are deployed and tested we should most likely see the $345 "activation charge" maybe lowered. I actually have piece of mind knowing the $345 fee is going to keep people from signing up and congesting the node. lowering my speeds.

Comments:

Review by pmw52 See Profile

• Location: Fairfield,Fairfield,CT
Good "Fast, not much downtime"
Bad "Sometimes long time to reach tech support"
Overall "I like it"

On regular speed. Had trouble and they gave me a new modem at no cost even though I owned the old modem. Had service for about 10 years.

member for 12.9 years, 138 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Dyerseve3160 See Profile

Good "Good speeds, reliable"
Bad "Capped me once for using too much bandwith which wasn't true, but took it off."
Overall "All around good results."

I've had Optimum for over six years now and only had one issue since getting it, which was quickly resolved. Overall great performance and is always reliable.

Comments:

Review by rickiac See Profile

• Location: Jackson,Ocean,NJ
Good "Good Speed"
Bad "Cust Service"
Overall "Happy, as long as I do not have to call them."

Speed is good, I am happy they are upping the speed at no charge. Also happy that they recognize that some people want to run a server of some kind (OOL Boost).

As for cust service, - They have no clue, If they can not read it from a script, their stumped. everyone you talk to tells you something different.

Overall I am happy, as long as I do not have to call them for anything.

Ok, So I have been informed they don't use scripts. Guess I gave more credit then necessary. They only save the call notes for the positive call, 4x's they did not save the negative ones. 3x's they did not place a note on the tech job site to bring the correct equipment. Tech's are good to great, tech support sorry to say still no clue.

member for 11.2 years, 330 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by lew_b See Profile

• Location: Poughkeepsie,Dutchess,NY
Good "No Contract, Office nearby."
Bad "Guide needs update, Triple Play push"
Overall "TV is fine, DVR works. Biding my time 'till FIOS turns on TV"

Decided to hook the cable TV back up due to the fact that I'm waiting for FIOS TV to go hot in my area and didn't want a 2 year contract with D* TV (my previous TV source).

Got 'deal' on the Gold package and DVR due to the fact that I'm coming back from satellite. $94/month for the Gold, with 1 HD DVR and a second receiver.

Set up install for Fri bet 8/11 AM. Got confirm auto call the day before. Installer called ahead around 9:30 to say he was on the way. He arrived around 10 AM, not Cablevision but a contractor. He re-connected my service and installed the DVR and 2nd receiver.

As I was already 'cabled up' all he had to do was re-connect at the pole, install new ends on all the cables he could see (didn't touch the splitter in the attic) and enable the boxes. He was done in around an hour.

Details:

- I just wanted TV, rep on phone KEPT PUSHING triple play.

- New 'grounding block' just hanging in air, not attached to house (cinder block). Ground from incoming line snipped, but ground to outside spigot was re-attached. Guess I don't need to worry about ground loops

- The on screen guide looks like it could use an update, the guide from D* TV was much better

- When tech was installing the SD box I ordered for the bedroom, I realized it didn't have enough ins and outs to feed the TV and the DVR. Went to the local office and traded it in for a HD box in about 10 mins.

I guess the best part for me is the lack of a contract, but to be honest the 'install experience' was pretty painless.

member for 11.3 years, 3407 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jdkdomain See Profile

• Location: Iselin,Middlesex,NJ

Good service. good reliability.