Etheric Networks page on DSLReports

Review by jayvo34 See Profile

• Location: South San Francisco,San Mateo,CA
Good "Great, ridiculous speeds at the fraction of the costs!!!!"
Bad "Shortage in staff and bad weather has given them a bad impression but my overall experience has been exceptional"
Overall "Cannot get bandwidth like this anywhere for this price! Etheric is always improving and is still one to watch"

I am one of the original customers and have enjoyed the speeds Etheric has offered, especially over other ISP's. I have been running at T1 speeds and bursting at well over 3.5Mbps. I have seen this company hit some speed bumps but recover and improve to accomodate their users. This past year has especially been hurtful due to the bad weather but one thing that always kept me a customer is their dedication and their hard word. They are striving to make it work and make it past the wrinkles. Alex and team constantly update and improve their service on a daily basis and I've actually talked to him a few times and appreciate his taking the time to update me on the issues they were having. Where will you find this type of dedication, effort and willingness in an ISP, esp from the CEO? I have been patient, maybe more than others, but I run a starting startup off my connection and it as done me well and I did survive those bad days of rain we all experienced and Etheric has taken measures to protect themselves from outages like that. I knew what I had in store for me coming into this ISP, but Etheric's constant work and dedication to better themselves has kept me a customer. I actually did think about disconnecting back in the early part of this year, but things came back up well and have been very steady for some time now, and it is all due to these guys and their efforts. Keep up the hard work Etheric, it can only get better from here!!!

--jayvo34

Comments:

Review by sfopfor See Profile

• Location: Watsonville,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "blazing fast when working"
Bad "frequent outages and slow upload"
Overall "smells great, tastes a little bitter sometimes. . . ."

Etheric claims my connection is 1500/1500 and delivers it quite well, in fact, often exceeds this promise. I began my subscription about a year and a half ago, maybe two years (rough estimate). I was one of the first to subscribe to the T1 Gold plan when it became available on Mt. Madonna. Installation was completed in about 3-4 hours. Pricing is great for the speed. Equipment costs were around $600 for ownership, gladly paid.

However, I have encountered quite a few disappointing outages that have been increasing in frequency in the last few months. I am continuing to try to sort out this problem, but it seems they're not fixable on my end. Most of them occur once or twice a day and last anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes and sometimes an hour. During these outages, I am sometimes able to get to broadbandreports to do a speed test. Results during an outage usually show a very low upload speed (10-100) while my download remains higher (100-800). These windows of limited connectivity are on the good end of the outage. Additionally, there will be periods of time when the download speed remains at the 1500 range but the upload drops to 200-400...these are quite frustrating.

Other then these outages, I have no other complaints. Etheric does a good job, but they have a few problems that they may not see...or so it seems.

Comments:

Review by totala See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Blazingly fast, competent, curteous, ..., did I say fast..."
Bad "Equipment cost"
Overall "Fantastic, best ISP I've ever had"

This is my ... tenth, twentieth, ... ISP over the last 15 years.

7 Mbps uplink, 5 Mbps downlink... beat that!

The company gets highest grades; curteous, knowledgeable, no-nonsense, quick, efficient
The installer gets kudos; he knows what he's doing, flexible to figuring out the best location for the antenna, wiring, etc.

The installation was absolutely painless; at the end, I had a CAT5 that had been tested, speed checked, ..., in a word... working.

I'm no the easiest customer; I want static IP (no problem), high uplink bandwidth (no problem), access to the router (no problem), my own services (no problem)...

I'm posting the next day, router/radio has not been up for 24hrs yet, but so far the link seems absolutely rock solid.

If you can afford the radio equipment (abt $700) -- think of the price you'd put for the aggravation with other providers -- then you can't beat this ISP.

Best I've ever had -- and I've tried them all.

Comments:

Review by dllg See Profile

• Location: Los Gatos,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Excellent connectivity."
Bad "Haven't encountered a negative."
Overall "I have had DSL and Cable connectivity in the past. This works as well (if not better) and is soo much faster."

We have been very pleased with this service. Momentary downtime is no more than any other service I have used but significant outages are less than DSL and way less than Cable.

Comments:

Review by thwing See Profile

• Location: Watsonville,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "Excellent sales / installation / speed"
Bad "More expensive than I'd prefer - but worth the money to have the speed."
Overall "Great company, great product. I'd do it again."

I ordered the 'bronze' service which guarantees 750K for $100/month. The sales person was professional, knowledgeable, and helpful as was the installation person. Installation was performed quickly with no problems.

Equipment included a dish and a small modem. I was given 1 static IP address. Installation of my own firewall router was straightforward.

We had one evening where we lost our connection. I called the 877 tech-support line and got a recording that there was a power problem and they were addressing it. I was impressed - they were really on the ball. Service was restored about ½ hour later and we haven't lost it again since.

I routinely achieve download speeds in excess of 3mbs. I don't think I've ever been at the 750kps speed I'm paying for.

I don't usually write reviews, but so far I've had a really positive experience and am very impressed with what I've paid for. They deserve credit for a job well done.

• Location: Soquel,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "fantastic download time; over 4000kbps"
Bad "satellite goes out too frequently"
Overall "only negative is too frequent down times for satellite relay"

I am a user of Etheric Networks wireless broadband. I am a satisfied customer of Etheric networks. Download speed is fantastic; over 4000kbps.
I do not often upload but it is nearly as fast. Andrew Moreland

(review was emailed from domain earthlink.net)

Comments:

Review by enetnut See Profile

• Location: Los Altos,Santa Clara,CA
Good "speed, good service, no funny pricing options, go-getter company"
Overall "one of the best deals around"

ordered 1.5 Mbps service
2 static IP's
install was straightforward once the company found a line of sight from my roof.
installer was knowledgeable and pleasant

reliability is good. initially had teething problems but which startup does not.
speed is very very good.
i like the go-getter approach, after all they are a start-up and really want to make this work. NOT like dealing with SBC. The latter actually had the audacity of calling their DSL rollout "Project Pronto". If that was pronto, I am King Tutankhamen. But I digress....

Added on 4/22/04 result from sfo.speakeasy.net speed test
2004-04-22 03:19:43 EST: 3175 / 3483
Your download speed : 3251720 bps, or 3175 kbps.
A 396.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 3567181 bps, or 3483 kbps.

Added on Feb 14, 2005
Connection reliability has improved, so has Tech Support. Speeds continue to be one of the best. I run video over IP using the upstream bandwidth and the speed and low latency make it close to a LAN experience. We are also using etheric at work in the South Bay. All in all the best deal around.

Comments:

Review by rogerver See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Super Fast"
Overall "Worth Every penny!"

I love it!
I would order it again any time.
6MPBS most of the time!

Comments:

Review by pngwnlvr See Profile

• Location: Cupertino,Santa Clara,CA
Good "blazing speed, responsive, they take it personally"
Bad "no usenet servers, occasional outages"
Overall "one more reason to be glad i live in the bay area"

Getting your internet service from Etheric is like buying an Apple when the company was just Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak...there's no phonebank full of know-nothing operators, no tech support from people in India who've never actually used the service; when there's a problem, you don't get the ISP trying to blame your phone company, your phone company trying to blame Covad, and Covad failing to return your calls for two weeks.

In other words, the company is SMALL - want to cut a deal on your rate by making a two year commitment? You talk to the CFO. Is your service down? You talk to the guy who's actually working on the router. And you talk to that person immediately.

That said, I haven't had to talk to them very often. In the four months I've been with Etheric, I think my service has been down twice, for a matter of hours each time. And each time, they were able to tell me exactly what the problem was, and what they were doing to fix it, and they beat their estimates.

Installation took place a couple days after I first called them; the installer showed up when they said he would, and did the job right the first time.

The speed is ridiculously fast, as you can see from their speed test ratings. You pay for the speed you need. You get a fixed IP address (or multiple fixed IP addresses), and a dish on your roof, which you buy from Etheric, and you OWN. That makes the startup cost a little on the high side, but I guess if they go under I can sell the dish on ebay.

One thing that would be nice would be if Etheric would get a Usenet news feed into place; currently, they recommend that you use google (dejanews) to get news, but that's not really ideal for people accustomed to subscribing to newsgroups and accessing through standard newsreaders.

Comments:

Review by decide See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "All-Around Amazing , Wireless-Broadband Provider! Blazing Speed! Unbeatable Cost! Service Unmatched!"
Overall "You'll Not Find a Better Provider in the South Bay Area"

This company is truly unlike any I have dealt with before. They have gone out of their way to accommodate my company's needs, and the bandwidth is top-notch.

I was given the responsibility of getting the company I work for a sufficient provider to meet our growing needs, and after doing a bit of research, I thought that it would be worth a shot to try these guys out, due to the 30-day trial period, and the potential cost savings (compared to a T1). We had the service installed within 10 business days of the order. It would have happened sooner, but the install tech ran over on an earlier appointment, the first day we had scheduled. This is the only issue we had with Etheric (and this is very minor, considering that it takes over a month to get a T1, in most any case). We rescheduled within 2 days, and we were up and running, after a laborious installation process, due to the nature of the building I work in and the conduit situation, plus the fact that the building management wouldn't allow for the dish to be visible. Considering all of this, I was impressed that the install tech managed to get everything working. And, I have never seen a tech bust their bum like the guy who did the installation of the dish and line. Honestly, I had my doubts as to whether or not he would be able to even pull it off! After, he was done, I configured the connection, and it has been as peppy as any T3 I've ever used.

Etheric was beyond generous with the install cost. They charged a flat fee for the install (up front). I knew right away, due to the circumstances, that this was a generous offering. As it turned out, it was more than generous. This made me quite pleased. Needless to say, my manager was happy with the cost.

The connection speed ranges from 2mbit to 5mbit per second, on a 1mbit business account, and our entire network seemed much more stable.

Just did a bandwidth test:

-down-

4744.2 kbps (first test)

5217.4 kbps (second test)

4015.7 kbps (third test)

4019.7 kbps (fourth test)

-up-

1141 kbps (first test)

1110 kbps (second test)

1169 kbps (third test)

Not what I expected, on the upload, but I'm not complaining (it's more than the speed we're paying for.

Here's the real important part: shortly before getting the service and installation process rolling, the company I work for was acquired by another company. As it turns out, the company that aquired my company has a contract with another major telecom carrier. And, since this contract was not totally exhausted in terms of service and cost, the network guys and management at headquarters decided that they would provision some of that contract to our office. Since we were still within the 30-day trial period when I found this out, I was told that we needed to cancel the Etheric.net service. I was not pleased the idea (nor was anyone else in the office), but we had no choice.

Etheric was willing to let us out of the service, even though there were no reasons that pertained to service quality. In fact, they were very graceful about the whole issue. Moreover, as it turned out, there was going to be a major delay in the new service provision, with the contracted carrier with which we were to initiate new service. And, we, being a small office, once before, only had a legacy DSL line at that point! After a couple days of being back on the DSL and reliving the previous problems, my manager was completely frustrated, and we discussed ways to alleviate the fiasco. It was decided that we would approach Etheric to see if we could re-establish the account on a month-to-month basis (as they had not yet removed the equipment - the dish). We were willing to pay a premium, considering the situation.

But, surprisingly, Etheric offered to let us continue, on a month-to-month basis, and did not raise our cost per month! From what I know of service providers, this kind of flexibility is unheard of!

This company is fully exceptional. And, should you decide to use Etheric.net, there's about a 99.9% chance you'll be pleased, if not completely amazed. These folks and their service are as good as you'll find.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, and rarely (if you're fortunate) you happen to come across an exceptional value, because the people who offer it, are about providing a service that matters enough to bring about change. These people are all about what they offer. How many times do you come away from a buyer-seller relationship feeling like the seller is really your friend?