Etheric Networks page on DSLReports

Review by michaelr7 See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Fast. Responsive. Basic service - not a lot of overhead"
Bad "Antenna on roof, high one time equipment charge"
Overall "Highly recommended. Provide more than promised"

Until etheric my only choice was IDSL (144kbps up/down) Cable has abandoned this area as
has SBC (the west side of San Jose, CA) with regards to broadband. Now I have the equivalent of a T1 (at the slowest). I have not run a speed test where the results are slower than 3 mbps down and 2.2 mbps up. 4 Static IP address are included in the service. Even if cable of DSL were to become available in this area I would not be able to get service like this -

1. better than T1 speeds up and down
2. multiple static IP addresses
3. ability to have servers
4. no port blocking
5. responsive ISP

It took less than 7 days from the time I first heard of etheric from a friend to visiting their web site to calling them to the final install. I choose the "Gold T1" residential package - 1.54 mbps up and down with burst speeds to 4mbps for $139.00. There is a somewhat high one time cost for the equipment (the actual cost depends on which model is needed at the location) and an installation fee of $99.00.

Etheric provides a 10/100 ethernet port. You will need to provide your own switch/hub if you wish to make use of multiple IP addresses. They install an antenna (small dish similar to that used by DirecTV and Dish Satellite TV. Installation took about 2.5 hours. The tech tried an 18" dish and found that it wasn't reliable enough at my location so he went to a 24" dish.

Etheric is a very small company. They provide excellent service and are responsive.
Highly recommend if you need more than cable/dsl can provide or if you can't get cable/dsl.

member for 10.2 years, 448 visits, last login: 6.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by loungesong See Profile

• Location: South San Francisco,San Mateo,CA
Good "Next Day Installation,Very Fast, Low Latency, Easy Tech Support"
Bad "Installation more expensive than DSL and Cable"
Overall "Excellent competitive alternative to SDSL if you need upstream bandwidth"

Alex and the gang are very helpful and will answer all your questions about the technology. We have 1.0/1.0 and it has been very reliable. Much cheaper than similar SDSL speeds with Covad.

Comments:

Review by jmeter See Profile

• Location: Los Altos,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Incredibly fast speed, small responsive company"
Bad "Rare downtime"
Overall "Much more fun than DSL or Cable!"

Etheric has done a great job building this small company. The speeds are fantastic. The technical support staff is quick to help me with any problems. Unlike SBC, they care when things aren't working right for me. I will never go back to the big guys!

Silver plan, 1Mbps, burst to 2.5Mbps
Random speed test just now: 4843/3351 kbit down/up

Comments:

Review by klhung See Profile

• Location: San Mateo,San Mateo,CA
Good "Upload speed is good"
Bad "Reliability... technology is too new?"
Overall "Cool technology provided by a small company with growing pain"

I have cable modem (Comcast) and DSL (Sonic), just constantly look for more reliable broadband solution.
Package ordered: 1 static IP (additional $3/month), 1M/1M.
Cost: $320 down for equipment, $64/month plus $25/month equipment finance for 24 months.
Ordered Etheric on 5/20, installed by Patrick (job very nicely done BTW) on 6/3. Immediately got connection at 1M/1.1M on the same day.
Lost connection on 6/7. Called Etheric and Alex replied my phone call. Initially he suspected it was due to my machine problem, having done more research he finally found out my client side record was not listed on their newly migrated Access Point. After few minutes I was online again, but he had to bring it down for a client side firmware upgrade. After the upgrade my SpeedTest dropped to about 350k/400k (from 1M/1.1M)... I reported the issue but I was told it is not urgent and will be resolved in 24 hours. After 6/7 my SpeedTest result were different but in average between 400 to 800 for both up/down, never came back to 1M!! Kind of disappointed especially you had seen fast 1M/1.1M speed in the first three days...

======= UPDATED 7/27/04 =============

I have to admit that I am getting premium service from Alex and the team. Although there was still downtime (maybe while server rebooting) but it always came back within an hour or so. These people treat customers' incidents as their own problems, and I do appreciate that.

As a small business owner myself, I truly understand the growing pain and the path of setting up the right process mentioned by Alex over the phone. I will keep supporting Etheric and hopefully my business will grow with Etheric in the long run.

I am sure I will upgrade my Etheric service to higher grade when I see my availability rate reaches somewhere close to 99.9% (99.994% mentioned in »www.etheric.net/faq.html#10).

I have updated my review and hope this will improve Etheric's rating.
Thank you, Alex and the team.

Comments:

Review by mgdmb See Profile

• Location: Campbell,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Amazing upload and download speeds, outstanding support, very little downtime"
Bad "Expensive, but entirely worth it."
Overall "Speed, speed, speed! And they're always working to improve."

Etheric is the best ISP, bar none, that I have ever had the pleasure of using - and I've had broadband, in one form or another for over nine years...

They know what they're doing. If you live in the Bay Area and need a solid ISP, this is the one, without exception.

member for 10.9 years, 529 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by mchren See Profile

• Location: San Mateo,San Mateo,CA
Good "Fast Speed, Low Cost"
Bad "Lose connection about once a week"
Overall "Purchase it."

I would definitely recommend Etheric. You get extremely fast connection speeds at an extremely reasonable rate. I shopped around A LOT, and this is the best deal out there. Customer service is pretty good, techs always willing to help. Usually can get a tech out to the building within the same day.

Highly Recommend.

Comments:

Review by Nick Dunckel See Profile

• Location: Los Altos,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Excellent Tech Support; excellent high-rate connection"
Bad "Minor billing problems"
Overall "Excellent!"

Very good service; link provides data rates of 1 to 4 megabits/sec consistently; very helpful customer service; quick installation.

Comments:

Review by Karin_n See Profile

• Location: La Honda,San Mateo,CA
Good "Very fast and reliable. Nice group of people."
Bad "none"
Overall "The BEST!!!"

I live in LaHonda and had been suffering with dial-up for years.. When I got Etheric Networks to install my system with static IPs to my two computors IT was GREAT... They are very helpful and nice. I have since tryed my friends Apple computor and had no problems connecting and playing on the web. Great company and would recommend to anybody for a fast connection.. Karin_n

Comments:

Review by garrick1 See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Fast....Fast...Fast...Support great once Contacted"
Bad "Costly for the average home user compared to DSL and Cable"
Overall "Highly recommend for Speed."

The initial installation coordination was rough...2 missed appointments on two diferrent days, because the installer didn't finish on a previous job. Firmware flash not done when promised. Not directed to the correct DNS servers on the initial install. All problems were ironed out.

After the initial mishaps, this is the best thing going. I knew it would be, that's why I was so patient. I signed up for 1 meg both ways and get 4-6 megabits consistenly.

Thanks to Alexander Hagan and the Team at Etheric.

I had DSL service since 1998 and was happy to say bye bye...

Comments:

Review by large_bande See Profile

• Location: Los Altos,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Speed Latency"
Bad "Price"
Overall "If you want a quick reliable connection, this is the place to go!"

I have a 1Mb connection with them Since the beginning of January. The speed is great, as is the latency. The fact that it is symetrical is great for SOHO too. The only complaint would be the price, but OTOH, I want them to make a living so that they do not get absorbed by a bigger, probably not better company!