Etheric Networks page on DSLReports

Review by paulmcnabb See Profile

• Location: Palo Alto,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Great pricing and consistent service"
Bad "Occasional momentary drop outs"
Overall "Great value"

Great pricing and consistent service
Occasional momentary drop outs
Great value

Comments:

Review by mmanzana See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Constant, Dependable connection"
Bad "NONE"
Overall "This ISP is not for those who need "handholding" for everything, but rather for those who just want "on the net" and FAST."

I originally started out with ISDN, then dual-channel ISDN, then DSL, then IDSL.. none of which could provide an effective, sustained connection to the internet from my home.
I lost my DSL (Rythms wen't backrupt), and there were no other service providers willing to provide me service (as DSL, or IDSL) as I am just on the edge of their "reach" (~15,900 ft); even though techinically DSL can reach to 18k ft. I ended up going with Sprint BroadBand Direct.. and for about 1 month it was effective, then they oversubscribed, under-supported, and flat out didn't care any more about my connection problems, continous drop packets (which constantly killed my VPN connection to work).

And then my problems were answered ! ! ! - Ehteric.net.

You pay a bit for it, but the tremendous throughput, almost ZERO dropped packets, and almost ALWAYS on network connection more than makes up for it.
I've only lost connectivity once, in the 4 months I have been with them, and that was only for a very short period of time.

I now telecommute more from home, get more work done, and the zero stress about worrying if the connection is going to stay up is GONE!

I would highly recommend Etheric.net to anyone.

Comments:

Review by DJohnAnderso See Profile

• Location: La Honda,San Mateo,CA
Good "very fast, great service, supports underserved rural populations"
Bad "sometimes unavailable while system is being upgraded"
Overall "best high speed deal in my town"

2.5Mb/sec down
1Mb/sec up

Comments:

Review by quist14 See Profile

• Location: Menlo Park,San Mateo,CA
Good "Fast! Fast! and 5 static IPs"
Bad "DNS goes down or is slow at times. Sometimes net is out briefly."
Overall "Well worth the monthly fee; great support, esp. if you are tech savvy."

After years of struggles and constant issues with a DSL connection, Etheric came in like a breath of fresh air. Alex and Patrick were very helpful, and Thomás did a great job installing the dish. It was very refreshing to be able to talk about the technical fine points with people who understand this stuff.

We get consistent lightning speed up and down, even when several machines are streaming audio or doing big up/downloads. We have 5 static IPs (three Macs, one Windows, and one Linux), and we serve half a dozen low-volume web sites from one of the Macs.

Caveats? DNS can be slow at times, sometimes the net goes down (usually not for very long) for various reasons. It's a startup, we need to cut them some slack. One possible problem: if your house does not have line of sight to a tower or local repeater, you may not be able to get the service. This will be less of an issue as Etheric grows.

On the whole, we are very satisfied. Keep it up, guys, and grow the business so we can all continue to be happy customers!

Best wishes from Nick Turner

Comments:

Review by srader See Profile

• Location: Campbell,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Blazing speed and great people to work with..."
Bad "Requires line of sight for service..."
Overall "Outstanding value..."

I ordered the Residential Gold T1 service at $159/month. They came out for a site survey the next day and I was up and running within 5 days. The installer did an outstanding job with my special requests during the installation and my concerns about high wind conditions where I live. They were very generous regarding the additional installation charges because of my requirements. The speed is consistently well above the T1 minimum speed and usually in the 3.5-4.5Mbps range. There have been very few outages and they have been very responsive to get me back online. I am very pleased with the service, the company, and especially the great people...

member for 10.6 years, 160 visits, last login: 8.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by jayleone See Profile

• Location: Redwood City,San Mateo,CA
Good "Fast and reliable"

I average about 4MB symetrical
$40/month
I was one of the first customers. Customized install
antennae and router
static nad dynamic IPs

Comments:

Review by jshadley See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Very fast. Excellent service."
Bad "Bad if you're on a budget ($$$)."
Overall "Get Un-wired!"

Minor glitch on initial install, but we can chalk it up to weather (cloudy, rainy, crappy day) -- the installer could not get a visual LOS on the AP in order to aim the dish. Came back the next non-rainy day and had it up and running within about 1/2 hour. Beats my DSL install where they had to come back 5 times and had some problems even after that.

Ordered 1Mbps service (up/down) with static IP and get 1.5 - 2 on a regular basis. Only one tiny lapse in service that I can recall, and it was back up before I had the chance to call and complain

In my area, the best wired DSL I can get is 144K at $70/mo, and we don't have Cable Internet at all. Thought about satellite but it has poor upload speeds which are unacceptable to me, so I went with wireless broadband. I figure I'm getting at least 10 times the speed for only twice the cost -- and I'm glad to report that it has been really good so far (about 2 months).

If you have the $$$ and want/need the fast stuff (you can get up to something like 16M -- yes, M up/down), check them out, you will not be disappointed.

member for 14.4 years, 164 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by doctorb4 See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "reliable, fast, good people behind the service, way better than PacBel DSL."
Bad "none"
Overall "the best! (compared to my DSL at work)"

Alex Hagen and Co. should be congratulated for what they have done for broadband. They guaranteed me T1 speeds in an area that PacBell/SBC does not service. Rarely is it that speed, since usually it's much higher. I have DSL at work, and it has been less reliable and does bog down in the afternoon. Etheric is consistent and reliable, easy to install, and delivers the goods. We have three laptops going constantly at home (two Macs and one PC), the speed never slows down. Their customer service is very available and very helpful. Kudos to Etheric! Install was simple and clean (not a lot of wires and holes), and I was up and running in minutes after the install. I pay 79/mo. Now, if only they would offer this service in the Tahoe region!

Postsript: I just read some of the other reviews (minutes after I wrote mine), and I'm suprised at the banter in regards to one review(er). Having read all of this, I just wanted to say, that although my review has no negative comments, it is still an accurate review in regards to my eleven month experience with Etheric.

Comments:

Review by TrueAudio See Profile

• Location: Mountain View,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Low Latency & High Bandwidth"
Bad "The cost of the Equipment to get started"
Overall "The Most bandwidth for your money in the Bay Area"

My story:

So I was wondering around DSL Reports one day in the "Find Service" tab, and stumbled upon Etheric. Why was i in the "Find Service" section you ask? I was unhappy with my current ISP (Speakeasy), because my upload & download speeds did not even come close to what i was advertised. I am extremely picky about my Internet Service so i require a lot more then that average user.

I began to read through the 4 Reviews that were posted about Etheric in amazement. I sent a instant message to one of the reviewers "prag".
He was kind enough to provide me with speed tests, and full monthly Ping Plotter graphs. I decided to order based on what i saw, and the price, and the fact that they service my area. They responded with my "Request for Service" the following morning, and a tech out there a few hours later to check if i had "LOS" (Line of Site)

Package:
I order the CR1.5 Gold Package for $129 a month. The equipment cost was $699, and the Installation charge was $100. Alex (President) asked me how many Static IP's i would like, and i ask for 3. I received 3 Static IP's on a brand new subnet. Yay!!

Installation:
The Installation took about 3 1/2 Hours. I think that was partly my Fault cause i was asking the dude alot of questions while he was installing. I told him that i was not trying to monitor his work, but that i was very interested in how it worked and wanted to watch. He didn't seem to Mind. I am Tech as well, and it cant be very distracting to have some watch you, but i usually don't mind if they ask me to watch. I offered him drinks, help, whatever he needed. He was Really nice Guy. We even shared a few programs. Very cool

Equipment:
The equipment Is a Dish Similar to a Direct TV dish. Relatively small. Attached is a Trango Wireless Transmission Receiver. Power over Ethernet. A Ethernet cord runs straight from there to your Router/Computer. Of course the Ethernet wire must run from your dish to where ever your Office is.

Overall:
Overall, I was about 90% Happy with my total experience from the order from my "Request for service" to Installation. The only reason they do not get 100%is because they rescheduled my first appointment at the time it was to be installed.
It was raining pretty hard and i can understand somewhat, but i feel it might have been a little late for that. In any case the install went smoothly, and Im glad that i switched over to this IMPRESSIVE ISP!! I recommend this to any user in the bay area looking for a ISP thats gives you your moneys worth and then some. Etheric All the way!!!!

Speed test:

2004-01-02 23:14:59 EST: 5132 / 4132
Your download speed : 5132719 bps, or 5132 kbps.
A 626.5 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 4132231 bps, or 4132 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

Trace Route:

5 2 ms 3 ms 3 ms svl-core-03.inet.qwest.net [205.171.14.5]
6 8 ms 3 ms 3 ms svl-core-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.14.125]
7 4 ms 4 ms 5 ms 205.171.14.78
8 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms sjp-brdr-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.214.134]
9 6 ms 5 ms 5 ms so-2-0-0.edge1.SanJose1.Level3.net [209.245.146.
229]
10 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms so-5-0-0.gar2.SanJose1.Level3.net [209.244.3.141
]
11 5 ms 4 ms 4 ms ge-10-0.ipcolo3.SanJose1.Level3.net [64.159.2.41
]
12 5 ms 4 ms 7 ms unknown.Level3.net [64.152.69.30]
13 4 ms 4 ms 5 ms w7.scd.yahoo.com [66.218.71.86]

Trace complete.
Thanks Etheric. Thumbs Up!!

UPDATE: Still running sweet over here in Mountain View. I have no complaints what so ever. This service is truly amazing. You da Man Alex!

member for 12.8 years, 1230 visits, last login: 105 days ago

Comments:

Review by chubbi See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Incredible speed & reliability! excellent solution for demanding need"
Bad "Higher equipment cost, higher monthly payment"
Overall "Awesome value! professional grade for residential use in bay area"

Etheric.net...Blows away the competitors!

I had okay experience with Pacbell DSL for a year in my previous residence with intermittent modem reboots. Then as I move to a new place in the bay area I had to endure 2 years of torture by Direcway with $59 a month equivalent to dial-up quality since no dsl was available. I was going through from anywhere of 25%-50% packet loss to outright signal loss. I could not even send email of 400kb+ out. I'm telling you it was a real horror story EVENthough I have total clear line of sight from the foothill. Just when I was gonna take a baseball bat and beat the hell out of my Direcway dish and donate it for scrap, my brother told me to check out the Etheric.net website.

After talking to the Etheric sales consultant several times, I felt a lot better that it may be the bang for the buck solution I need. I decided give Etheric contract a try over the low cost coming Comcast dsl and direcwav crap. The response is great from this local company that someone always pick up the phone and the field techs gets to your home quickly. I have to say this is a great company and product for the bay area folks. If you are in the area you really should give the contract to this company...cause they really deserve it. No way I'm turning back ...hey once you're high you're high...I'd rather get a second job than give up this awesome speed. Definitely a techie's dream

The highlights are:

- radically fast & professional quality product for high speed residential use

- superquick & painless installation (5 days for me from the time I call)

- $109-$139/month ( pricey but well worth it)

- I'm averaging 4-6Mbps to up & down stream(this blows away even big company speed)

- low to no packet loss (Etheric is aiming for 1 packet loss per 5000 that 0%)

- extremely low latency