Etheric Networks page on DSLReports

Review by jharrell See Profile

• Location: Redwood City,San Mateo,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Setup was quick, Blazing Speed, Symetrical Service, Great Support"
Bad "Cost"
Overall "Great for anyone that needs speed, bandwidth and great service."

We have had Etheric service for almost two years as no other high speed options were available in the area.

Etheric’s SOHO/Small Office Service for home/office has provided us with extremely fast upload and download speeds. Great if you have a home/office and transfer a lot of data between locations. The high speed, coupled with the nearly symmetrical service enables everyone to simultaneously browse the internet, upload and download files, stream data and utilize VOIP phones.

Etheric’s service technicians are very knowledgeable and easy to reach. Outages rarely occur, but when one does, service is restored quickly.

While the service may cost more than some other high speed providers, the availability of service, quick setup, blazing speed, reliability and support made Etheric the right choice for our needs.

Comments:

Review by jaime3gz See Profile

• Location: Gilroy,Santa Clara,CA
Good "My first Line of Site ISP. So far good"
Overall "Expensive but I cut cost on VOIP phone and Streaming movies.."

While expensive I do cut cost on VOIP phone service and Streaming movies. I have no blocking when I use Bittorrent for downloading. Comcast does block it and they won't admit it but they do throttle back Netflix streaming...I am happy so far.. My Current UP/Down speeds are 16/16 mbps

Comments:

Review by mikecarlton See Profile

• Location: Los Altos,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "More expensive than DSL/Cable"
Overall "Fantastic if you can't get landline"

Been a happy customer for years. We don't have DSL or Cable available -- Etheric to the rescue. We pay $99/month for 2Mbs guaranteed, regularly get 8Mb/s symmetric.

Comments:

Review by Samboca See Profile

• Location: Redwood City,San Mateo,CA
Good "Fast, consistent speed, speed, SPEED!"
Bad "No issues in the past several years"
Overall "Highly recommended"

November 2012 - We moved from our home and no longer can use Etheric, but I wanted to post a closeout review. The service has been exceptional and without any significant incidents in many years now. Congratulations, and thanks for all the great Internet. Highly recommended. Best wishes, Etheric.

---
I've been with Etheric for ages, and over the past several years, services gets better and better.

Highly recommended.

Thanks Etheric!

Current speeds are better than: 7down / 7up

• Location: Redwood City,San Mateo,CA
Good "Fast setup, reliable connection"
Overall "Highly recommend"

Using Etheric Networks wireless for business connectivity. Excellent
connection/uptime. Happy to have personal contact when I have
questions.

(review was emailed from domain reputation.com)

Comments:

Review by skid289 See Profile

• Location: Scotts Valley,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "Consistent, reliable, highest wireless speed in my area"
Bad "Relatively expensive"
Overall "The BEST OPTION for rural customers in the South Bay"

I live in a rural area with no wired service so wireless is my only choice for broadband.

I originally had Verizon 3G, which was way too slow for the price, and later Surfnet, which was completely unreliable. I didn't think I had line-of-sight to Etheric's towers but called anyway. They did a free site survey and after a little tree work I had a clear view to their tower.

Etheric worked diligently to plan my installation which was fairly difficult due to terrain and distance issues (over 500 feet from antenna to home router). Even though the install was pretty expensive and time-consuming I consider it well worth the effort.

So far I'm getting everything I'm paying for - guaranteed 4Mbps up/down with 8Mbps burst (burst speed lasts upt to 30 seconds per request, I'm told), plus a static IP so I can remote desktop into my home machine. After two months I have yet to lose the connection AT ALL, and speed doesn't vary even at peak hours.

Everyone I've dealt with at Etheric has been professional, knowledgeable, and proactive. They even called me twice in my first month of service to check that everything was working properly! When I had a bit of a speed issue (only bursting to ~4Mbps), they resolved the issue within a few hours.

Overall I'm very impressed and satisfied.

Comments:

Review by xradr See Profile

Good "Awesome speed, reliability, and low latencies. Very knowledgable and friendly staff."
Bad "wish the cost was a little less, but you get what you pay for!"
Overall "Highly recommend, without reservations"

I have been a huge fan of DSL reports for a few years. I sincerely appreciate all of the great reviews, articles, and forums. I've learned a lot from you all over those years!

I have been using Etheric Network's services for about two months now. I use the service in a dual WAN router with a non-SLA comcast "business grade" service. I'm currently on the platinum plan. From the get go, Lance was outstanding. The location that I was moving to was spec'd for free. They sent a technician out with meters and a dish to get line of site to their tower. Despite being 20 miles away, we got good signal. They were professional in their installation. Aside from some minor hiccups with the initial install and some settings, things went off perfectly. Since that time, I have had a single brief outage and their tech support staff were very helpful in resolving the issue.

Overall, I get about 80% faster download speeds (sustained) than I pay for (usually can get between 7 - 10 mbps download sustained, not burstable). Upload is consistently between 4-6 mbps. My plan is 5 mbps symmetric. The latencies going cross country are better than my comcast line (I see typically about 30% lower latency for traffic to east coast ... I guess they use better peering partners than comcast?). Latencies to local and regional server (under 500 miles away) are comparable to other providers. VoIP services seem to perform well (better than on comcast at the same location).

Lastly, and most importantly the couple of times I've had to call ... the support and sales staff have been excellent. They are respectful, knowledgeable and friendly. Generally speaking they don't sounds like typical "tier 1 tech support" or guys just trying to make a buck. I feel like they have some level of pride in their company and what they are doing. They seem genuinely interested in helping.

Overall, I have had an excellent experience thusfar. I would give them highest recommendation. Thanks much Etheric!

Comments:

Review by hetherington See Profile

• Location: La Honda,San Mateo,CA
Good "Outstanding personal service by highly knowledgeable engineering professionals"
Bad "None compared to conventional ISPs"
Overall " Super fast internet signal with active feedback. Personal, highly knowledgeable service lacking from otherISPs"

We have been Etheric subscribers since about 2005-2006. We formerly had Earthlink and Direcway Satellite. Satellite service is slow, can't handle VOIP, and if anything goes wrong, support personnel seem to have no understanding about what one is talking about. They obviously refer to a printout of "canned' responses. Outages would last for days with no resolution. Service became very slow in rain or even fog.

Etheric's competitive advantage resides in blazing fast speeds- faster than 3G, with no latency in rain storms, and what appears to be active feedback on the signal with the ability to dynamically optimize signal strength.

The competitive advantage is augmented by personalized service from highly trained support personnel. The Etheric staff even knows the names of its subscribers, and the routes to their antennas. This cuts downtime to a minimum. Problems are identified and quickly resolved. Service like this is not possible with conventional ISPs or big Telcos.

Comments:

Review by MartiA See Profile

• Location: Watsonville,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "MUCH improved performance and speeds with the new G4 radio."
Bad "Customer communications during a crisis could still be improved."
Overall "Upgrades in equipment are working great. Customer communication still needs work."

Etheric is basically the only choice we have in the area we live in. Fortunately upgrading my radio to the new G4 has greatly improved speeds with more constant service. However, when there is a crisis at their end, it can be difficult to find out what is going on and when service will be restored. They are getting better about leaving recorded messages on the tech line, but could still make improvements. Since my livelihood depends on being connected, I am put in a difficult situation if the system is down and I don't know an estimated repair time.

Comments:

Review by cherf See Profile

• Location: Boulder Creek,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "Promising technology"
Bad "False advertising. Nonexistent technical support. Cavalier attitude."
Overall "Don't do business with them."

I began negotiating with Etheric on the installation of a 5 GHz 2x2 MIMO link between my business and the Loma Prieta tower in California's Santa Cruz mountains in May of 2009 based on a positive review from one of my neighbors who subscribes to their service.

I have been using Verizon's 3G wireless product for over 5 years. I am very happy with it and with their customer support. I was lured to try Etheric in the hope that I could achieve 4G performance before Verizon completed their network rollout. That was a mistake.